Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 5 Feedback and Expectations

CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
edited June 2023 in Off Topic Chat
This is for the developers of The Sims Studio to mull over if they ever do and take some of my dreams and ideas and see how we see gameplay vs how they see gameplay mechanics and how I would want the game to play in the future of the series. I don't think any of this is possible in the TS4 because of it's genre core so I will leave it for The Sims 5, someday, even if ten years from now when EA decides to revisit the game.

Why do people return to older versions of their beloved games, no matter the genre?

Because they were built (most) strictly for the love of the game in the beginning and were not so much about the money.

This is why independent game companies enjoy a lot of respect from fans, and adoration and they keep going back to indie games sometimes. Looking for the inspiration of the love of a game rather than the dollar sign.

Yes, yes, companies have to chase windmills and whatever is trending, however, I think that is one word that should be banned. The word or phrase 'what's trending now' and most certainly hash tag. I hope in the near future those words will be banned in one of those lists that people come up with of the most disliked phrases...like the one 'at the end of the day.'

Forward. I hope the TS5 will be a more mature game, dealing with more mature themes. As Will Wright said in an interview several years ago, we allow it in movies, videos etc. but not so much in games.

I don't mean nudity, I'm not into seeing 'that' in games but how about more mature themes. I hope EA will someday return to the life simulator and hoping for the following in TS5 since it's too late for the TS4's core.

I would like to see the TS5 offer the following aspects in it's core. Would take a big budget and a big team and a big vision.

Creativity:

I would like in the future technology for the game to offer to players the ability to take any snap shot they have on their pc and add that to their game and turn that picture of a couch into the couch in their Sim's house. Or any object. This was discussed by one developer but more like for DLC but I want this to be in the core and players be able to use this without internet but any image they have in their pictures to be used as meshes for their Sims' furniture/appliances/ etc.

I also want to be able to create with more ease and much more affect and effect on the Sims wall paper with sounds, floors with sounds and Sims aware of those sounds. What am I talking about?

Creaky old wood floors, player takes a picture they like, add it to their game as tile/wood floor covering. We all know if we make custom content to add some 'sound' to the floor type if it's already in game. However, in the future I want players to be able to 'assign' the different sounds of wallpaper and floors and even the sounds of doors. The developers already do this with the sound of footsteps crossing tile and or wood in these games, but I want the player to be able to take any picture of the wallpaper and floors they like and add them and do this themselves.

But also, with all that robust creativity engine, for them to apply a mood to that décor. More than we see in the TS4 because the player would pick how does an old creepy, creaking floor sound make the Sim feel? This is where fear and or anxiety could be brought into the game on a deeper level.

What Sims with those emotions and or even traits want to stay or live in an old house that creaks and moans and or makes noises if this only adds to their fears and nervousness? I think this adds another layer of creativity to for the player and a deeper understanding of human nature to a Sim if these were brought forth in the next series.

This would also add ambient moods and emotions and give the player who longs for more grunge in their games (finally) the ability to bring it to the game themselves with any picture of any ripped or worn couch, wallpaper, siding, floor, but for the first time ever the Sims would know they aren't that well off as other Sims. I had hoped that knowledge of the Sim knowing they are poor or living in grunge would be in the TS4. I was wrong.

Putting a real face on the Sim. We had this in the TS1, I hope this will be brought back but more robust application in the next game. Please.

Co Op: Let's just get this out the way upfront. Yes, I'm not against Co op on a person's server in their home. I think EA could do this for a family in their own home who wants to play the games together. However, the Sim and the gameplay and how much is involved in co op would have to be fully fleshed out and never, ever take away from the single player experience. No carrot/stick to reward and or punish anyone who doesn't want nor have anyone to play in Co op. I can understand say those in a household wanting to play the game together, my problem has always been resources no matter what they are having to go toward that type gameplay rather than fully focused on the single player side of game.

The Sims themselves, I think it is long past due they grow up. People face real life situations everyday and they learn by failing, I don't know anyone who learned anything by auto succeeding at anything. Trial and error are in our makeup. Stick your finger to a stove eye, and the human figures out, don't do that. Walk down a dark alley alone, you might rethink it next time.

The Sims had a lot of this in the beginning and was at it's core of what type game it was, and even TS2 stuck with this failure/success core. However, TS3 and TS4 have moved away from this concept as I have said in my other thread. It's time (imho) The Sims (I hope TS5) take this even farther and of a more mature theme, nature. People live, they die. Sims should die, too. People take a lot of crazy risks, sometimes they cheat fate, and sometimes that choice ends their life. I think The Sims should explore this side of our real lives.

People lay out of work, but I don't know any company who just let's that slide and doesn't punish the employee. Time to grow up Sims (or go back to the earlier moto) they should be fired, or have to beg to keep their job, or make up for it somehow, but getting fired should be on the boss's mind right up front. Because it's been my experience if you don't call in and explain why you are staying out most bosses are going to fire you on the spot. They don't have time to coddle an employee who over slept. Or who has personal problems, because personal problems belong at home not in the work place. So, it's my idea the Sims should grow up and face the music. Even more than they did in the TS2.

Life and Death. None of us came here to stay. Not one. Sims should have to face some illnesses that are risky and could kill them, and or accidents that can kill them, again. Because there is no such thing as an accident, but negligence. No matter who that negligence falls on. Yes, we can all say something about a freak accident but was it really? Lightening Strike? Was it really? Or should a person move inside when a storm is coming? To me this was triggered by the person, and or the Sim being outside when they should have heeded the thunder. In other words death triggered by the choice the player made.

But in the last few years we see those are removed or the ratio of a so called accident happening is null and void. Very, very rare. It wasn't in the spirit of the game anymore. Though it was one of the key factors of deciding what type of game The Sims would be based on failure and teaching the player how to take better care without having to have a text message.

Sandbox Freedom:

You can't have a true sandbox when the game is telling you what you have to do next. Period. The skills and education a Sim receives should be based on 'if' that Sim wants to pursue that avenue of play. This is all my opinion and actually my wishes for the TS5. Not trying to tell people how to play but what I want in the next series.

Example: If a game tells you this Sim must do this in a particular way then that is no longer sandbox, at all. It has stepped away from sandbox into another genre.

Becoming a Doctor: It's going to be 2019 or something....shouldn't Sims have to get some education to get a degree or P.H.D. etc. 'before' they must mosey on up to someone and start treating them? No, I'm not trying to take away the imagination and or sandbox, but shouldn't Sims have to do a little more to get a promotion and above everything else, shouldn't the player be asked if they want to proceed and go to the next level of a career?

Though I loved the TS2, if my Sims somehow got some skills just by living, like cleaning the bathroom etc., I might not have wanted them to get a promotion because of it, so I hope TS5 will 'ask' before promoting and or let the Sim apply for a promotion etc.

I'll be back in a day or two to add to my dreams of TS5.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• Options
    EthyrdudeEthyrdude Posts: 268 Member
    Just a thought on co-op play. I enjoy mostly playing by myself and making my world my fantasy. What I wouldn't mind seeing though is a place, perhaps a park, where you could go and talk Simlish to other players and interact. This area would need to be kept for general audiences only of course, due to the high variety of cultures, religions and ages. It could even be used as part of a new kind of gallery, where people could actually interact with new stuff you have made, or clothes to wear.

I find it very difficult to browse the current gallery as there are so many items and as we get more and more game packs and expansions, it might be good to be able to wander into different areas and see what the different GPs/EPs offer. As well, if we did happen to see something we wanted to download, a quick look at perhaps the floor coloring would indicate whether or not that particular item requires a particular EP or GP.

Another thing I wouldn't mind is for the game to be able to, using this gallery, is to perhaps introduce different Sims that people have made and automagically have them walk around in my neighbourhood as NPCs, and if I liked them, click on them and be able to select: Yes, I like this Sim, please keep or No! I absolutely hate this Sim! The only thing that I personally would require with this feature is that I would be able to control how many new sims get introduced in a sim day.

Just some thoughts for your consideration.
    On a planet far, far away.
  • Options
    PruThistlePruThistle Posts: 97 Member
    It would be nice to be able to choose the sexuality of a Sim, and set a level as to how loyal they are to their partner. It really irks me when I work hard to set up a couple, get them married, establish a family either by making babies or adoption; then, even when I want them to be exclusive, I switch to playing a different family and catch them making out with someone else at a party and ruining their marriage.
  • Options
    AndygalAndygal Posts: 1,280 Member
    edited March 2015
    The only kind of co-op that might be really useful for me would be if the game would automatically use Sims from the gallery as townies instead of generating random ugly townies. Probably the game would have to be banned from using random Sims with CC to minimize the troll potential caused by....less than tasteful...custom content.
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    PruThistle wrote: »
    It would be nice to be able to choose the sexuality of a Sim, and set a level as to how loyal they are to their partner. It really irks me when I work hard to set up a couple, get them married, establish a family either by making babies or adoption; then, even when I want them to be exclusive, I switch to playing a different family and catch them making out with someone else at a party and ruining their marriage.

Regarding setting a Sim's loyalty, this should really be achieved from an updated point system, similar to TS1/TS2, or just a completely different AI system.

Traits are broken, and they have been broken since their debut in TS3. We are limited to a small number of very specific traits for our Sims. I'd rather see a whole diagram of different qualities and be able to distribute points among the diagram that would ultimately define who my Sim is, for example.

Come TS5, I am expecting ACTUAL smarter Sims. In TS4, it was only used as a marketing ticker. In truth, TS2 Sims are still the smartest.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited March 2016
    The Sims 5 ?

In my case, I'm waiting for The Sims Series Compilation or The Sims (2020), I mean a compilation of all the good features from The Sims 1, 2, 3, 4 (Computer & console), Bustin' Out, Stories, Medieval & FreePlay and The Urbz instead of the current "Start from scratch" way.

20 years of good ideas should be enough in order to make the best sequel ever done.
    Without adding new features, this base would already be amazing.
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • Options
    SakurachaSakuracha Posts: 81 Member
    ((Sorry if anyone already made this, I've only seen a post about life stages and the animation. this is in off topic since there is no sims 5 general discussion etc))

For the sims 5 I hope that we get the open world and life stages back. I like the new emotions in the sims 4 and more immersiveness would be great.

• Options
    HanskuHansku Posts: 1,735 Member
    Why has been there so many threads about The Sims 5 lately? :|
    AlA2dUe.gif
    finnish | ♀ | ♓ | intp
  • Options
    SakurachaSakuracha Posts: 81 Member
    Hansku wrote: »

I guess alot of people aren't satisfied with sims 4
  • Options
    SupersonicAvalancheSupersonicAvalanche Posts: 3,307 Member
    More in-depth game - Less weird sims = A great TS5 start
    Z5yqGx5.png
  • Options
    HanskuHansku Posts: 1,735 Member
    Sakuracha wrote: »
    Hansku wrote: »

I guess alot of people aren't satisfied with sims 4
    tumblr_mzz6goowEh1rzik3go1_250.gif
    Yeah... this has been very clear during the year. :lol:
    AlA2dUe.gif
    finnish | ♀ | ♓ | intp
  • Options
    amyedwards1986amyedwards1986 Posts: 244 Member
    What I miss the most in TS4 is the open world feature. I would like to see the sims driving their cars while we choose of their next destination on the city map. Speaking of which, how about a 1st person view while we are driving?
    I also wish smarter sims. It's seems incredible as adults they are still able to wet themselves instead of going to the bathroom.
    Another thing would be to develop the system of directing the sims at their workplace. It would be fun to see a sim soldier running the obstacle course or at the shooting range for example.
    11ay6ix.jpg

What we have once enjoyed we can never lose. All that we love deeply becomes a part of us -Helen Keller-
  • Options
    Swiftlover13Swiftlover13 Posts: 2,369 Member
    You know, it scares me that only 1 year and a half after Sims 4 released, people are already talking about Sims 5.
  • Options
    rosey1579rosey1579 Posts: 6,252 Member
    Hair physics.... Like beards.... More beards...
  • Options
    CharlieGothCharlieGoth Posts: 192 Member
    Like @Swiftlover13 said, isn't it too early to talk about a TS5? I'd rather to focus on my expectations on the future of TS4 first. But hypothetically speaking, if eventually they decide to make a new Sims game, I hope they move forward in the right direction, and learn from their mistakes.
  • Options
    rbridges430rbridges430 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Is it too early for a countdown? Lol

I just don't see ts4 ever being open to all play styles, toddlers are not coming back, neither will cars, immersed gameplay..basically nothing that made the sims the sims.

I don't ever see ts4 being marketed to the players who've been playing since ts1.

I'm just ready for it to go the way of Medieval, I liked medieval though lol.
  • Options
    BOYBOY Posts: 540 Member
    is it too early? yes
    Fairies & real Plantsims please!
  • Options
    BOY wrote: »
    is it too early? yes

I was half joking lol
  • Options
    BOYBOY Posts: 540 Member
    I was half joking lol
    yeah, but it's still too early to know if toddlers or cars are returning, which are 2 of the reasons you mentioned that you're ready for 5.
    Fairies & real Plantsims please!
  • Options
    SupersonicAvalancheSupersonicAvalanche Posts: 3,307 Member
    I´d like to see an amazing Trait-system & more Winter Themes early on - and I do miss Open World too...
    Z5yqGx5.png
  • Options
    meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    You probably won't like 5 either.
    I bet it'll be online and more of VR tone. Guru Grant somewhat mentioned they're looking into it in Conan's live stream.
  • Options
    HopeinenHopeinen Posts: 316 Member
    Too early.

If they ever get around to making TS5 i hope they put a lot more time, money and effort into it, make sure its actually done and caters to as wide of a player base as possible.

But they might just go the online way and TS5 might end up being the online chat game the TS4 wanted to be.
  • Options
    You guys the too early thing was rhetorical it's obviously very early lol
  • Options
    meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    Hopeinen wrote: »
    Too early.

If they ever get around to making TS5 i hope they put a lot more time, money and effort into it, make sure its actually done and caters to as wide of a player base as possible.

But they might just go the online way and TS5 might end up being the online chat game the TS4 wanted to be.

I agree. They'd be foolish not too. Games that lack online features are a bit primitive in this day and age. The gallery is a hit with this game. Imagine if they could figure out a way to connect community in gameplay too. "Play Together" as the slogan of TS5. I can guarantee this is the route we're heading. No doubt.
  • Options
    JordojordJordojord Posts: 578 Member
    If they were to jump to 5 like in the next year or 2 then they probably wont do well
    My Top Picks for an EP:
    University
    Seasons
    Bonvoyage style (Loved those hotels)
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    Is it too early for a countdown? Lol

I just don't see ts4 ever being open to all play styles, toddlers are not coming back, neither will cars, immersed gameplay..basically nothing that made the sims the sims.

I don't ever see ts4 being marketed to the players who've been playing since ts1.

I'm just ready for it to go the way of Medieval, I liked medieval though lol.

Why so negative?
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top