Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Patent of The Sims

shy_lil_babyshy_lil_baby Posts: 62 Member
I heard that EA has some sort of patent on the Sims. Would anyone happen to know what kind of patent/copyright EA has on The Sims Franchise? Does it have to do with the game mechanics themselves or just any type of "people based" simulation game? I've tried looking it up and can't really find it or didn't look hard enough. I was just wondering why there aren't any hardcore competition against them (not sure if Second Life should be included)? Is a money problem? A talent problem? Maybe the company isn't as recognizable as EA? Also I heard that companies need to renew patents when The Sims Franchise patent is up is there a "open" time period where others can claim that patent or at least put out a game without that patent over their heads or can EA immediately claim that patient as soon as it's time for a renewal? Just some questions that ran through my head....

Comments

• Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    edited March 2015
    I think the name is copyrighted, but I REALLY wish a company (rockstar maybe) would grow some balls and create a life simulator game.

It's about time the sims had a competitor...
  • Options
    lady8janelady8jane Posts: 350 Member
    Patents have nothing to do with that. It takes a lot of people and several years to make a game like the Sims. And in the end everyone would see it as a rip-off of the Sims.
  • Options
    lady8jane wrote: »
    Patents have nothing to do with that. It takes a lot of people and several years to make a game like the Sims. And in the end everyone would see it as a rip-off of the Sims.
    But it was a good game, maybe people wouldn't see it that way.
  • Options
    The Sims have been around for 15 years now. Always made by Maxis/EA. I'm pretty sure they would.
  • Options
    litabelaqualitabelaqua Posts: 4,322 Member
    its all about the budget, many millions of dollars are required to produce a game like the sims
  • Options
    VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member
    EA could never really win a fair legal battle with someone wanting to make a similar game at this point.

As I've said before EA's "patent on the sims" would be like Willie Nelson claiming exclusive rights to Spanish guitar solos in country music.

The notion is just laughable.

EA has billions of dollars though, so when competition refuses to be bought out they will and do sue people even when they know they're wrong just because they can. They will do that as a way to financially strangle their competition and will combine a lawsuit with a buy out settlement offer.

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    AstroX1424 wrote: »
    I think the name is copyrighted, but I REALLY wish a company (rockstar maybe) would grow some balls and create a life simulator game.

Names aren't copyrightable; that's part of why there's a trade-name system. The code is covered by copyright law as soon as it's written. Aspects of visual design are also covered by copyright law and therefore don't need explicit registration, though that's an option in the U.S.

Patents and trade-names are complicated by the fact that they are country specific. You might have a patent or trademark in one place but it won't be covered somewhere else.

Also, there are patent and trademark lawyers for a reason: exactly what is covered by a particular patent and what isn't is complicated. Even finding the patents that might be covered by what you want to do is complicated.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    The Sims have been around for 15 years now. Always made by Maxis/EA. I'm pretty sure they would.
    Let me compare it to this...

City: skylines is coming out in a few days, and everyone that is getting it is thinking it will be better than SimCity 2013, they haven't felt as though it's a rip off because they think it'll be good. This is how it could work for another company to make a sims like game.
  • Options
    XopaxPaxXopaxPax Posts: 1,769 Member
    I don't know but if someone else made a TS rip off with toddlers that would be such a giant slap in EA's face.
    tenor.gif
  • Options
    Let me compare it to this...

City: skylines is coming out in a few days, and everyone that is getting it is thinking it will be better than SimCity 2013, they haven't felt as though it's a rip off because they think it'll be good. This is how it could work for another company to make a sims like game.

Yeah, but there have always been other city building games around. Sims is pretty unique.
  • Options
    RoyaiChaosRoyaiChaos Posts: 905 Member
    I think it's just that a game like The Sims is difficult and costly to make and no one wants to make it and end up losing to The Sims because that could be disasterous. Of course, now would have been the perfect time to release it because of all the dissapoint surrounding The Sims 4, but it takes a long time to make a game like this and they can't really predict how well The Sims 4 will be doing in the future.

It's just too risky with the Sims already out. These kinds of games are very hard to make. Especially with all the EPs and such The Sims has.
  • Options
    Yeah I think the money thing is a pretty big hurdle to overcome if anyone tries to build a game similar to The Sims. In order to make a great game you have to have the money to do it, that's just a fact. Sucks...but fact.

The reason I asked was because my husband was talking about how Magic the Gathering had some sort of patent for their game mechanics so most of the card games out there pay the Magic people an amount of money so there is no suing involved...at least I hope that's what I got from what my husband said...I was just wondering if EA had something similar or not. Then again making trading card games is probably a lot more cheaper than making the a simulation franchise.
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    edited March 2015
    It's two fold to me there is the cost of creating a game like sims but then there is the obvious legal battle that EA would engage in to protect its copyrights like it did when sim social was mimicked by another

http://www.mtfn.com/news-Video-Game-Developers-Settle-Copyright-Infringement-Suit.html

But I will say I doubt if you are asking is because you think there's something lacking in sims would be fixed by another. There's a culture to the game that wouldnt replicated by another creator.
  • Options
    colton147colton147 Posts: 9,663 Member

The Sims has a competition - it's Second Life. o:)
  • Options
    colton147 wrote: »

The Sims has a competition - it's Second Life. o:)
    Is it single player offline? Because that's what I want.
  • Options
    colton147colton147 Posts: 9,663 Member

It is a MMO; Will Wright also works there.
  • Options
    colton147 wrote: »

It is a MMO; Will Wright also works there.
    Eh, I prefer simulation games to be offline *SimCity 2013*
  • Options
    gamekittengamekitten Posts: 2,606 Member
    From my understanding gaming companies can't own a genre style. Example is SimCity.. there are many city building games out there, in fact City Skylines is due for release in 2 days and if you take a peek at just screenshots you will be surprised.

Life Stimulators can be made just not called the Sims or use alike names in game..that copies the same thing Sims has.

>.> I could never get into Second Life...too clunky and online.

• Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    I would like to see a competitor make a life simulation game because The Sims is pretty much dead for me at this point.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    gamekittengamekitten Posts: 2,606 Member
    Sims is unique ...but every game style was unique at one time. Just takes a brave gaming company to go out and create a life stimulator and change the codes and name.. EA is big..But also there are other BIG companies out there that could go toe to toe. But the sad fact is ... a life stimulator doesn't have that big of an audience if you will. And I assume that is why other companies that could go toe to toe with EA doesn't even try.
  • Options
    xoJessixoJessi Posts: 1,859 Member
    edited March 2015
    Games finder has a list of games like the Sims. :lol:The Movies is actually really good . . . but I don't know if it's a life simulator or just a movie production simulator.
  • Options
    Thanks guys for the reply's...I just had the thought and really couldn't find it online anywhere and figured this was the next best way to get some sort of answer. It would be awesome to get some sort of competition. Light some fire under EA. **I didn't know Will Wright works on Second Life, learn something new every day**
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Thanks guys for the reply's...I just had the thought and really couldn't find it online anywhere and figured this was the next best way to get some sort of answer. It would be awesome to get some sort of competition. Light some fire under EA. **I didn't know Will Wright works on Second Life, learn something new every day**

He's He was* on the Board of Directors, which is not a kind of working on the product at all; it's corporate oversight.

* (He was appointed to the Board in 2011, so I looked at Linden's site to see if he was still on it – looks like they've freshened up the Board since then, which is good.)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    techangytechangy Posts: 1 New Member
    <a href="https://www.techykeeday.com/top-10-best-life-simulation-games-like-the-sims-2017-edition/">Games Finder</a> is what you can try