Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Bypassing Origin when Launching. Solved.

SnorkelbucketSnorkelbucket Posts: 62 Member
I recently installed almost all of my sims games on a new laptop.
Every time I try to open the Sims Launcher, whether from a desktop shortcut or through the game bin file, it opens origin. It doesn't open origin and then the sims, it ONLY opens origin. Not only does it take longer to get my game started (about 3 extra minutes), and just give me another thing to exit before I can start my game, but it doesn't even always work.
I have other games through origin. Since I've been using this laptop, they too open origin - but then it at least opens my game for me, and doesn't make me feel like all my game icons are actually just origin icons.
It didn't used to do this on my old laptop, and I'm not sure what's different now. If it weren't for that, I would assume it's just impossible.

I'd be really grateful if someone could explain how I can open the Sims 3 without opening origin.

What I have installed:
Ambitions, Generations, LN, Seasons, Pets, Supernatural, University, WA
HELS, Master Suite
What I have, but haven't installed:
Island Paradise, Town Life Stuff.
Post edited by Snorkelbucket on

Comments

• Sweet2Sweet2 Posts: 1,736 Member
    Did you install your game through origin while on your old laptop through disks?
    My Page Another lot and Household Uploaded :)

• SnorkelbucketSnorkelbucket Posts: 62 Member
    @Sweet2 No, both times they were installed through origin, the same way. All of my old laptops have had the sims installed the same way and I've never had this issue, that was probably three or four laptops.
    My wife's laptop also has sims games currently installed through origin, and her computer doesn't automatically launch origin.
    Then I don't know why it's different now :\ My sister has everything installed through origin and has to log in to play, I have the first couple installed through disks while later ones through origin and I don't need a disk nor origin to play my game. If you do have disks I would suggest installing the base game with disk and an expansion through origin and see what happens, if you don't, I don't know what you could do. Maybe compare origin's settings?

Yeah I only have games through origin. You've actually given me a bit to think about. I'll test out different origin settings.

I also have two copies of the base game, and I'm just now thinking maybe on most of the computers we installed one version, and this time I installed the other! They look to be completely the same, but one was added to my library in 2011, and the other in 2013. If I remember right, someone bought me a copy ambitions or something that came combo'd with the base game without realizing it.

There's nothing to indicate they're different version than, now that I put my eyes inches from my screen, the thumbnail on the newer one says "Go Social - All-New Ways to Connect & Play With Life" Sooo.. Maybe that's the issue.. :cold_sweat:
    Okay so I've played with the settings and it's still opening origin. My control panel only shows one Sims 3 base game being installed, so I think I'd have to uninstall and reinstall everything and HOPE that works. Which is kind of a last resort, so I'll wait a little and see if I can find a better option. Unless there's a way to keep expansions/store content installed while I uninstall and reinstall the base game??
    Can't be sure about the expansions but you can move your Sims 3 folder and allow a new one to be created and once you've done the re-installing delete the new one and move the old one back.

• SpiderCrowWolfSpiderCrowWolf Posts: 1,380 Member
    My games were bought and installed through Origin but I have origin uninstalled from my computer and I still play the game just fine, and in fact most times I even go completely offline to play. Maybe it's just my computer. But you can open up windows task manager, exit out of Origin and then open game through window mode bypassing Origin and launcher. :)
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Yeah I only have games through origin. You've actually given me a bit to think about. I'll test out different origin settings.

I also have two copies of the base game, and I'm just now thinking maybe on most of the computers we installed one version, and this time I installed the other! They look to be completely the same, but one was added to my library in 2011, and the other in 2013. If I remember right, someone bought me a copy ambitions or something that came combo'd with the base game without realizing it.

There's nothing to indicate they're different version than, now that I put my eyes inches from my screen, the thumbnail on the newer one says "Go Social - All-New Ways to Connect & Play With Life" Sooo.. Maybe that's the issue.. :cold_sweat:

The old version of the base game will let you bypass the launcher. The newer versions of the base game require origin and the launcher to play!
    edited March 2015
    No you can still bypass. I have all the EPs (last 4 bought and installed from Origin) and only the 70's 80s and 9s SP. I unplug my computer from wifi and open the game from window mode, thus the launcher never opens and neither does Origin. I just tested again and I have no issues with either Origin or the launcher. But then my base game is from the day it was released in 2009.
    Thank you so much for the replies everyone! Yes, I think if I uninstall origin I'll be able to open my game. I also think if I uninstall everything and make sure to use the old version I'll bypass origin as well. The easier option is just to uninstall origin, so I will try that tonight.
    Okay so I uninstalled origin, when I tried to launch the game, the launcher opened and gave me this message: "Origin is required to play this game. Please install Origin and relaunch the game. If Origin is already installed and the game is not running, please contact customer support."
    Pretty sure that's not legal. And that doesn't make sense since I close origin once it opens the game for me. Same thing happens if I try to open from game/bin file. Welp, I'll make a copy of my files, uninstall everything, and start over.
    @phoebebebe13 You were right! I uninstalled just the base game and reinstalled with the 2011 version and it worked. Thank you!
    Just wanted to make sure this thread was updated will all the trials and errors in case someone else gets a similar problem.
    edited March 2015
    @SpiderCrowWolf You can bypass the launcher because you have an original game from 2009. Origin did not exist then so you don't need origin. The new base games issued you can not bypass the launcher and origin.. The game runs off the TS3W files in the base game. You don't need to disconnect from wifi or put the game in window mode. Just set up origin to not load at start up. You start the game from the TS3W file I have a sort cut to this file on my desktop and always use that to start the game
    edited March 2015
    @Snorkelbucket Glad you got it working and yes the old versions will start without origin or the launcher. If you ever have to install the game again just remember to use your older version of the game
    edited March 2015
    @SpiderCrowWolf You can bypass the launcher because you have an original game from 2009. Origin did not exist then so you don't need origin. The new base games issued you can not bypass the launcher and origin.. The game runs off the TS3W files in the base game. You don't need to disconnect from wifi or put the game in window mode. Just set up origin to not load at start up. You start the game from the TS3W file I have a sort cut to this file on my desktop and always use that to start the game
    I don't disconnect from wifi because of Origin or whatever. I disconnect from wifi and the internet because my computer doesn't like being online while I'm doing offline stuff. It lags my computer. And I set it in window mode so I can see the clock at the bottom of the screen.

@SpiderCrowWolf OK . The way you worded your post it sounded like the only way to play with out the launcher was to disconnect from wifi and go in window mode. Thanks for the clarification
    You're welcome. Sorry about that.
  • BabyNurse16BabyNurse16 Posts: 1 New Member
    but if you uninstall the base game wont it mess up the expansion packs that are currently installed? and is the 2009 version just the disk version of the game?
  • Horseangel41Horseangel41 Posts: 21 New Member
    edited November 2015
    When I first started playing sims 3 i bought the disc version of sims 3 plus pets ep.(i always play vanilla no mods at all, though i did use some cc) then i bought disc of supernatural and university life...all the other ep's and sp's i downloaded from origin itself..... I used to be able to play sims 3 without having to sign into origin, i removed all games from my laptop and downloaded the base game and the world adventures ep and all the sp's i had, because i was going to play them one at a time, well that got boring fast i missed some of the things i could do with all the ep's i had installed and the designs and stuff so i downloaded all the ep's again and now i have to play through origin (because i miss placed my discs, cant find them anywhere in the house)....i never used to have to play the game by logging into origin....(i do with sims 4 because thats how they made sims 4, and i bought sims 4 through origin), but i never had to do it with sims 3...all i had to do was click the icon on my desktop to bring up the launcher and hit play never had any problems till i reinstalled everything and origin put all sims 3 ep's under the base game itself instead of individual icons like it was before....but now every time i click into the future icon on my desktop it wants me to log into origin to load the launcher for the game....i read somewhere that origin has hijacked the sims 3 games and EA doesnt give a crap about it....now when i am camping i cant play my sims to entertain myself in rainy weather or at night like i used to be able to do and it sucks....my daughter recently asked me to put the sims on her laptop so she can play too but she has same issues i do with it wanting origin to play the game...EA either needs to get rid of origin as the way it uses to download and purchase games, or it needs to take back control of Sims 3 from origin's hijacking ( Oh and my origin account had been hacked too...i now have to put in a code every time i log into that account on origin and had to change passwords like 3 times so origin is not as safe as they make it out to be)
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    ...and origin put all sims 3 ep's under the base game itself instead of individual icons like it was before....

Yes, EA reorganized how expansion packs are displayed in Origin a few months ago. Read the announcement here.
    ...but now every time i click into the future icon on my desktop it wants me to log into origin to load the launcher for the game....i read somewhere that origin has hijacked the sims 3 games and EA doesnt give a crap about it....EA either needs to get rid of origin as the way it uses to download and purchase games, or it needs to take back control of Sims 3 from origin's hijacking ( Oh and my origin account had been hacked too...i now have to put in a code every time i log into that account on origin and had to change passwords like 3 times so origin is not as safe as they make it out to be)

Origin was created by EA, is owned by EA, is managed by EA; read the wiki article for more on that. Origin is how EA sells it's own games and manages it's digital distribution of them. Origin didn't "hijack" TS3, EA chose in the latest update to bring the Sims 3 under Origin. That announcement is here. Given that this was EA's doing it's not likely to change back.

I understand that there is an offline mode to Origin that allows you to play without being connected to the internet, but you still need to enter your Origin password. I'm not sure how that works as I only play on my desktop which is always connected. I'm sure there are tutorials or step-by-step instructions somewhere if you care to look them up.
    edited November 2015
    i got it to work without origin....i found my game discs and used them to install sims 3, pets, supernatural, and university ( all the games i had discs i bought) i uninstalled origin completely from my daughters laptop (i tried this on her laptop first) and installed sims 3 base from my disc, then added all the ep's from the discs i had....then i installed origin again and used it to install all the other ep's and sp's i had...then i removed origing agan from her laptop and i am still able to play sims 3 without origin and the launcher looks like it used to look before origin took over....i dont like being logged onto origin any longer than i have to be because my account was already hacked at least twice....so i dont trust it at all....i feel much better being able to play my sims 3 without origin....i havent really gotten to deep into sims 4 because i know i need origin to play it......and i hate origin....DO NOT UPDATE SIMS 3 IN ORIGIN or it will go right back to having to log into origin in order to play
    Post edited by Horseangel41 on
  • KarilynMonroe2KarilynMonroe2 Posts: 1,463 Member
    That is good to know! I have discs for the base game, showtime and pets. I own all the other EPs and stuff packs digitally. How did you get the EP's to install without logging in to origin? When I logged in to origin it updated automatically, even my launcher updated...and I had automatic updates turned off! Now I can't play without being connected to the internet. What if i'm someplace with no wifi? I hate this!
    @KarilynMonroe2 ..first i removed origin completely from my laptop. then i used the discs to install the base, pets, supernatural and university...when they asked me to install origin (recommended bah) i unchecked the box and kept going....after all my discs were installed, then i downloaded origin again... and used it to install all the ones i had from download.... when i installed origin i unchecked the boxes for automatically update origin and my games....that way it will not update unless you want it to... then i removed origin again. i didnt not choose to update the sims 3 game from inside origin..i ignored that and just installed the ep's and sp's i own....once they were all downloaded and installed (had to patch the game a couple times to get them all installed) i removed origin from my computer again and am now able to play sims 3 like i used to without having to sign into origin.....hope that helps...you need to make sure to uncheck the option to keep origin and games up to date automatically for it to work
  • Eowyn24Eowyn24 Posts: 32 Member
    I have gotten this problem now since I decided to update the game. Is the only way to get rid of it to unsinstall the base game?
  • ctarlet88ctarlet88 Posts: 4 New Member
    I have an issue with this too since purchasing the Ambitions Expansion. I used to play my Sims with no problems at all. Since having to play through Origin my game lags terrible and crashes after about an hour of game play. I have tried all of the above suggestions to bypass Origin and it absolutely won't allow me to play the game. I have even tried playing directly from the disc, but as soon as I put the disc in it says it's going to uninstall the content, won't even allow me to play from the disc! The Base Game is the first to be released so no need for Origin. All expansions were installed from disk except Nightlife, and Ambitions which were purchased through Origin.

This Origin crap is really starting to irritate me. I had decided that I was not going to purchase Sims 4 until I had played the Sims 3 utilizing every expansion pack and getting all experiences I can from Sims 3. If this is what I am going to have to deal with with Sims 4 I think I will just steer clear of The Sims all together!!! A big HUGE Thank you to all those who use PIRATED games for making it a pain in the rear for us honest folks to play a legally purchased game. GRRR!!!!