Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Syntax Error, Refusing to install items purchased from Store

Hello, I have not played the Sims 3 in a bit more than a year. Mind you - I'm not very updated on whatever issues are currently going on with the game. Everything seems to be mixed everywhere. So I don't know if it's me or them. I purchased a new computer, in which Origin kept and downloaded all my games/expansion packs/everything for me. I have been playing the Sims 4 (which is running fine) - but recently I wanted to move back over to the Sims 3 for a bit.

First I pull up the game.
I am faced with:
- Script Error
- Line: 8
- Char: 1
- Error: Syntax error
- Code: 0
- URL: (It won't let me post a link or a screenshot for whatever reason)
- Do you want to continue running scripts on this page? Yes or No

Of course, I ignored it. Clicking no after I got irritated with it popping up. Nothing seemed to change.

I thought I could re-install some items I purchased from the actual store. Not from the exchange.
I received:
- Installation failed: Please make sure your game has the latest Software Updates and try again.

Yet, everything seems to be up to date. (According to the Launcher)

I opened the Sims 3 for a short time, it seems to be running smoothly enough. But with the issues I'm getting, the game feels like it will crash in the middle of something.

Apologies if there is something currently going on and I'm completely ignorant to it. c:
98x847.jpg
Sometimes life is too uncertain to have regrets.

Comments

• Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    those script errors are EA. I just ignore them. Get them all the tims

Since you are on a new computer I take it the sims 3 install is new on this computer? If so my guess is that you need a store patch. at desktop open the launcher and see if the launcher states you need a store patch

They were also working on the sims 3 web which could have also been giving you issue
  • Options
    DiRTYGYMSOCKxxDiRTYGYMSOCKxx Posts: 50 Member
    The Sims 3 install is newer to this laptop, yes. But it doesn't say anything about needing a store patch currently. Could Origin have included a store patch automatically? These are not disc installed. On my old laptop they were and I remember doing a store patch back then. But that was...two years ago maybe. Should I download a store patch just in case it's not registering correctly?
    98x847.jpg
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    hi @DiRTYGYMSOCKxx can you tell me what your base game patch is and whether or not you are using a new my documents/electronic arts/sims 3 folder or if you installed and back up copy.

also your store items files where they new meaning recently DLs from the store or back up files, thanks!
  • Options
    Everything is new & clean from Origin - nothing was transferred over from my old laptop. No save files or CC or anything. The version on my laptop says 1.67 (.2.024017) (I hope that's what you were looking for). The store items were not back up files. Everything I downloaded from the Store was sitting in my Purchase History from the Sims 3 website. I managed to download them, I just can't get them to install because it says I need the latest software updates although the client says I'm already updated..
    98x847.jpg
  • Options
    You being at 1.67 game patch is correct. Im still thinking you might need a store patch. Try restarting your computer open the launcher again at desktop and see if you get a store patch notice. I'm just telling you to try this because it happened to me when I installed on a new computer. The store patch is separate from the game patch. It always has been for me anyway.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Everything is new & clean from Origin - nothing was transferred over from my old laptop. No save files or CC or anything. The version on my laptop says 1.67 (.2.024017) (I hope that's what you were looking for). The store items were not back up files. Everything I downloaded from the Store was sitting in my Purchase History from the Sims 3 website. I managed to download them, I just can't get them to install because it says I need the latest software updates although the client says I'm already updated..

ok thanks :) this problem sadly has been around for a while so i can suggest things and hopefully something clicks.

one i do want to confirm you new computer OS is fully updated. so make sure there are no new updates and reboot. an outdated computer can have issues running the game.

also many back when this issue first appeared were able to install in spite of the error, meaning adding a file prompted this error and then when they selected add to game the file was still able to install. if you havent yet try this and then check in game to see if one item has installed

if this doesnt work pull your my documents/electronic arts/sims 3 folder to the desktop and try another one small store item.
  • Options
    I have done this at least twice today - but still no store patch notification. Is there anyway to do it manually? I've looked on the website, but it just lists the patches and doesn't let me really install anything.
    98x847.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    @ceejay402 - My OS is fully updated. I tried both, but nothing changed. ;c
    98x847.jpg
  • Options
    @ceejay402 - My OS is fully updated. I tried both, but nothing changed. ;c
    ok :( try this for me try to install something small in game. it maybe the corruption is with the game launcher.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I have done this at least twice today - but still no store patch notification. Is there anyway to do it manually? I've looked on the website, but it just lists the patches and doesn't let me really install anything.

here are the store patches

http://www.thesims3.com/store/patches

Store content patch V 2.2
    02/12/13

To install this update, please start your game and use the “Downloads” tab in your Launcher. This Store update includes the following changes:

Updated appropriate clothing to be selectable as Outerwear when playing with The Sims 3 Seasons.
    Disabled random selection on some pieces of clothing so Sims won’t use them unless specifically directed to.
    Fixed an issue where users were not seeing the cake slice that came with the Happily Ever Frosted wedding cake in Monte Vista.
    Fixed an issue where users were missing several Create-A-Sim assets, including the La Dolce Vita Updo and Tuscan Hat from Monte Vista.

*A game restart is required for updates made while the game is running.

You could try the manual store patch and see if that works. If not like ceejay402 stated possible you have a corrupt launcher.
  • Options
    I attempted to install something in game from the Store, but nothing happened at all. None of the items showed up. v-v
    98x847.jpg
  • Options
    @phoebebebe13 - Is there some sort of download option off the website? Like, I go to Patch V 2.2 and I read the instructions, but uh, it's not letting me actually download anything. xD I don't know if I'm missing something or if my browser is screwing up on me.
    98x847.jpg
  • Options
    I attempted to install something in game from the Store, but nothing happened at all. None of the items showed up. v-v

:( i have a couple of options that may help but let me do some research im leaning towards you reinstalling manual game patch with a fresh sims 3 folder but im want to check something
  • Options
    something i do want confirm when you pulled the sims 3 folder were you prompted to install sims 3 store patches?
  • Options
    > @ceejay402 said:
    > something i do want confirm when you pulled the sims 3 folder were you prompted to install sims 3 store patches?

I was not prompted to install anything.
    98x847.jpg
  • Options
    . If I understand the instructions correctly you should click on the downloads option while the game is running then restart your computer.

Good point what browser are you using? I use firefox and never have issues. I have heard that sometimes chrome has issues on the sims 3 web

Its been a while but I can remember that when I opened the launcher at desktop it told me I need the store patch. I have never run into your problem as far as downloading from the store. If your not using firefox try that. Also try clearing your internet browser history then open the launcher and see if you get a store patch notice.

Maybe ceejay402 knows if there is an actual download for the patch?
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    im running a test with launcher to see if i get an issue but it also just occurred to me have you tried to DL an item straight from the store that you own and not under purchase history
  • Options
    @phoebebebe13 - Lmao, I got nothing what-so-ever. I'm currently using Google Chrome. I've never had an issue with using Sims & Chrome before.

@ceejay402 - I've tried downloading something I haven't owned, but 0 luck. It just doesn't work.
    98x847.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    something that may help! i just pulled out my documents/electronic arts/sims 3/ content patch folder this is where store patches are installed but i could not get the store updates to update until i first turned off that annoying script error. so close game launcher then pull the content folder open laucnher select no for the script error and see if you get prompted to add store patches.,
  • Options
    Nope, nothing. v-v;
    98x847.jpg
  • Options
    @phoebebebe13 - Lmao, I got nothing what-so-ever. I'm currently using Google Chrome. I've never had an issue with using Sims & Chrome before.

@ceejay402 - I've tried downloading something I haven't owned, but 0 luck. It just doesn't work.

Just try if you can with firefox and see what happens. The sims 3 web acts up. I sometimes have to clear my browser history and then log back in to get downloads to work
  • Options
    if you arent being prompted to add store patches when the content patch folder is removed the corruption could be on the programming side. ok back to my other ideas then, sadly again theres no one thing that could be play so its just process of trial and error. you could start small reinstall origin, http://help.ea.com/en/article/manually-uninstalling-origin/ its whats updates the game launcher. reinstall super patch. the PC link is a sticky above. you just reinstall and select yes when you get message do you want to override prior

i am about to go out to eat dinner. but let me say before you do any of this reboot the computer. and then with the content patch folder still out open game launcher one more time to see if the store patches update. and you do have admin rights right?

and again you arent having any issues running the game just adding store content

ok ill check later good luck
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Just try if you can with firefox and see what happens. The sims 3 web acts up. I sometimes have to clear my browser history and then log back in to get downloads to work

Im getting off the web too for a little while so try what I suggested and what ceejay402 suggested for now.