Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is the obsession with llamas?

Why are llamas so popular in the game? My guess was always that one of the creators loved llamas, but I'm curious if anyone knows the actual answer.

Comments

• ModseyModsey Posts: 1,468 Member
    Oh look, we have another llama-god atheist!

But no, seriously, I have no idea why llamas are a big deal but it honestly feels like these sims worship llamas or something, I don't know
  • Rock'nLlamaRock'nLlama Posts: 175 Member
    I feel like it was something that started small in the Sims 1, and the creators just found it funny...eventually it just kind of became a running gag among them and now its spiraled out of control XD
  • ModseyModsey Posts: 1,468 Member
    Are you telling me there was a time when it hadn't spiraled out of control?
  • queequeg0323queequeg0323 Posts: 32 Member
    Llamas were a thing with Maxis games even before The Sims. In Sim City you had Llama speed. Will Wright, the creator of The Sims and one of the founder of Maxis loved them, or had a Llama farm or some thing like that. It made it into a lot of their games as a running joke, and has just stuck. The Sims just wouldn't be the Sims without their Llama Gods :)
  • LaAbbyLaAbby Posts: 3,742 Member
    Llamas were a thing with Maxis games even before The Sims. In Sim City you had Llama speed. Will Wright, the creator of The Sims and one of the founder of Maxis loved them, or had a Llama farm or some thing like that. It made it into a lot of their games as a running joke, and has just stuck. The Sims just wouldn't be the Sims without their Llama Gods :)

I totally forgot that Llamas even existed and then I started playing S3 ...
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    The joke was actually funny in SimCity4; there was a cheat to change your city advisors to llamas and it was as hilarious as it sounds.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • queequeg0323queequeg0323 Posts: 32 Member
    lol I haven't played Sim City 4 yet, I might have to get it just to try that cheat.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    A bit off-topic, but I think there must be a similar story behind grilled cheese. It's toned down a bit in TS3, but from what I've read those sandwiches can become an outright obsession for sims in TS2. Something about sims cutting pictures of grilled cheese sandwiches out of magazines and eating them if the real thing wasn't available?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • moonandsixpensmoonandsixpens Posts: 553 Member
    edited March 2015
    Because llama is the mascot of EA.

See this CNN news: "Will Wright: Good question. Actually, many years ago, we had a company-wide vote for our informal company-wide mascot, and the choices came down to the Boston tree fern, beef tape worm and a llama. And somehow the llama won the vote!"
    edition.cnn.com/chat/transcripts/2000/12/1/wright.chat/

Personally I think the beef tapeworm is way cooler. RAmen!
    tumblr_noncvdlzEI1unxm84o1_540.png

• leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    Because llama is the mascot of EA.

See this CNN news: "Will Wright: Good question. Actually, many years ago, we had a company-wide vote for our informal company-wide mascot, and the choices came down to the Boston tree fern, beef tape worm and a llama. And somehow the llama won the vote!"
    edition.cnn.com/chat/transcripts/2000/12/1/wright.chat/

Personally I think the beef tapeworm is way cooler. RAmen!

Also side note, but if well interview is quite old, actually and with modern 4+ cores processors, would be interesting the ide of a SimWorld
    igazor wrote: »
    A bit off-topic, but I think there must be a similar story behind grilled cheese. It's toned down a bit in TS3, but from what I've read those sandwiches can become an outright obsession for sims in TS2. Something about sims cutting pictures of grilled cheese sandwiches out of magazines and eating them if the real thing wasn't available?

Wasn't that just if they had the Grilled Cheese aspiration?

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • MemoriiValentineMemoriiValentine Posts: 1,911 Member
    throughout ea games they have reappearing characters.like the freezer bunny :O
    Happy Simming!♥
  • DrewRowlandDrewRowland Posts: 2,057 Member
    InfraGreen wrote: »

Wasn't that just if they had the Grilled Cheese aspiration?

Yeah only with the grilled cheese aspiration. It was funny to make that a sim's secondary aspiration.
    Not very kind of EA to totally ignore the lactose intolerant like that. Though I suppose someone might have modded in soy cheese (I never played TS2). :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    Not very kind of EA to totally ignore the lactose intolerant like that. Though I suppose someone might have modded in soy cheese (I never played TS2). :)

Soy Cheese!?
    EA wanted poison our poor sims?
    leo3487 wrote: »

Soy Cheese!?
    EA wanted poison our poor sims?

Is called catering to vegans, shush. :p

(I've had vegan grilled "cheese" before and it could have been a lot worse)

outrun / blog / tunglr
    Vegan cheese can actually be very good on/with certain things, but not so much in grilled "cheese." Maybe I just haven't tried the right kind yet.

But more importantly, will our pet llamas eat it?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • EvieMaiye95EvieMaiye95 Posts: 36 Member
    Might have made for an interesting twist if they had made llamas into the pets expansion, probably would have been quite cute :smiley:
    Check out my origin ID on the gallery at EvieMaiye95
  • ChimarkChimark Posts: 2,166 Member
    I never figured out why it's such a grave insult to "imply someone's mother is a llama," when the Sims obviously love llamas so much. Seems like it would be a compliment to me.
    Chimark wrote: »
    I never figured out why it's such a grave insult to "imply someone's mother is a llama," when the Sims obviously love llamas so much. Seems like it would be a compliment to me.

While dogs and cats may be cute, one wouldn't really want people call one those ;)

• NesoiancitizenNesoiancitizen Posts: 4,344 Member
    edited March 2015
    I kind of wish they had added a Vegan trait and soy cheese/milk to TS3.

@leo3487 I've had soy cheese before and it tastes nothing like poison to me. Though I guess it depends on what brand you get...
    JkN3z9U.gif
    Find me at Sims3.com. Username: Nesoiancitizen
    I'm also on Duolingo as carlaquest
    edited March 2015
    Might have made for an interesting twist if they had made llamas into the pets expansion, probably would have been quite cute :smiley:

Great idea! Instead of deers we get llamas that may spit on sims leaving a "spat by a llama" negative or "had fun with a llama" positive moodlet. lmao

• KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,908 Member

@leo3487 I've had soy cheese before and it tastes nothing like poison to me. Though I guess it depends on what brand you get...

There is a vegetarian trait and Sims with that trait don't enjoy eating meat.
  • MagnaSonic3000MagnaSonic3000 Posts: 89 Member
    It makes about as much sense as some guy shouting "TOASTY!" after an uppercut ala Mortal Kombat. It's just a developer gag.
    edited March 2015
    Karritz wrote: »
    There is a vegetarian trait and Sims with that trait don't enjoy eating meat.

Almost all of my sims behave like vegetarians even if they don't have the trait, simply because the player controlling them is one. I applaud both EA and the modders who produce the recipe-extensions I use for taking us into account with all the veggie-friendly options and for allowing my sims to learn how to fish without actually having to try catching any (if only there were a soy-based counterpart to the Death Fish).

But for vegans, choices are much more limited.

Soy milk does exist in the game. If you have the Farm Fresh store set and feed your cow veggies, she will produce soy milk. Drinking it extends a sims' life much like Life Fruit does, but sadly it cannot be used in any recipes. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!