Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

sims 4 graphics look like

Comments

• phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited March 2015
    EA did however tell me even though the sims 3 is also 32 bit the more ram the better for running the animation.

Because it has colossal memory leaks, in OS X at least anyway. That may be to do with the dreadful way Cider was implemented to make it Mac compatible though. My OS made nearly 12Gb RAM available to TS3 when I was trying to get Showtime to work recently. In the end I got a refund from Origin because I just kept getting the debug error before the Launcher had even opened. I have no idea why Showtime needs so much RAM but it apparently did. I should also point out that we never got the game update upping the game RAM from 2Gb to 4Gb like Windows users did - patch 1.17 I think? So we were stuck at a ceiling of 2Gb RAM, hence the constant crashes in OS X. In Windows, on the same Mac so the exact same hardware, the game ran beautifully.

With out a doubt TS3's programing is messed up. I haven't had issues with showtime. I am on windows 8. I also bypass the launcher to play the game. The launcher alone is 2gb ram. My game plays well at 16gb and my fps stays 58-60 steady. With 16gb on high speed it occasionally jams/freezes and takes a few seconds to go back to working again but no crashes. 1.5 gb was for the base game only. EA decided to up that when adding eps. They can't change the requirements that they had printed on the disc boxes that are in distribution. That's why they have to keep the web at the original minimum requirements. I have seen people in the tec forum buy a new computer based on the minimum requirements to TS3 and wonder why their game wont run well or at all. Many of us think its wrong that EA decided to up the requirements mid game but it is what it is.
  • Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    edited March 2015
    Cyron43 wrote: »
    Funny thing is that older computers usually don't have a 64 bit architecture and second, low texture, low poly and closed world means low hunger for resources = no 64 bit computer necessary. That's why I say it makes no sense.

But aren't a lot of PC users still running 32-bit Windows? My copy of Windows 7 has a 32-bit and 64-bit disc. So to make the game available to a wider Windows audience who make up the majority of PC gamers, the game would have to be 32-bit.
    While I admit I have no demoscopic data at hand (someone help me out with that?) the trend in game development goes undoubtedly towards 64 bit. GTA V is one of the first which must be run on a 64 bit system. Yes I know about the believe that TS4 was written for low end computers. It's floating around this forum for quite a while. I don't like to discuss this here (many other places do it already) and it does not change the fact that a 64 bit address space is over the top for TS4 anyway - unless the memory handling is even worse than in TS3.
    EDIT: But I could be wrong. I don't have TS4. So how much memory does it eat?
    This space is for rent.
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    @phoebebebe13 - even with bypassing the launcher, it was still crashing. I just put it down to Simport and gave up as I couldn't actually get into the game to change the settings. It's the only EP I don't have but I can live with that. So long as I purge RAM every 15 minutes or so, depending on what I'm doing in-game, I can keep TS3 running for hours.
    apple-signature.png
  • EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 2,795 Member
    edited March 2015
    Funny thing is that older computers usually don't have a 64 bit architecture and second, low texture, low poly and closed world means low hunger for resources = no 64 bit computer necessary. That's why I say it makes no sense.

But aren't a lot of PC users still running 32-bit Windows? My copy of Windows 7 has a 32-bit and 64-bit disc. So to make the game available to a wider Windows audience who make up the majority of PC gamers, the game would have to be 32-bit.

not really nowaday majority of users are 64 bits, while in some places middle/average pcs are expensive in majority of the world they are not, you can have a "average pc" with a good price, then using a 32 bit win 7 is only really for low ending pcs which can't proper handle the win 64, which also is nothing something new since windows vista was the first 64 bits windows which was released in 2007, then this game is supposed to be at last 64 otherwise if indeed majority of gamers really are 32 bits and "low ending machines" then no company could think in make new generation games since the "majority" still playing with low ending.

unless you are speaking of "casual players" which is another thing different from gamers players.
    tumblr_mfiuwmQOLI1qgap4ho1_500.gif
    @phoebebebe13 - even with bypassing the launcher, it was still crashing. I just put it down to Simport and gave up as I couldn't actually get into the game to change the settings. It's the only EP I don't have but I can live with that. So long as I purge RAM every 15 minutes or so, depending on what I'm doing in-game, I can keep TS3 running for hours.

That is one thing I never used simport so I have no idea if it would have given me issues. Since you on MAC you have different issues than windows.
    @Cyron43 - From clicking the TS4 icon through to loading my Sim and her house - 3Gb RAM.
    apple-signature.png
    edited March 2015
    @Cyron43 - From clicking the TS4 icon through to loading my Sim and her house - 3Gb RAM.
    Whoa that's ridiculous... insane... dunno what to say! :dizzy:
    No open world, low textures, low poly but then 3GB?! smh

This space is for rent.
  • Daniel_USADaniel_USA Posts: 118 Member
    I actually enjoy the Sims 4 graphics. TYVM! It is a better take at an alternate reality then Hyper Realism, Photo Realism, or even Shaded? Shades? (Borderlands, The Walking Dead).

I don't like the Hyper Realism Graphics unless they are racing. Other than that why would I want to spend my time telling a "human" what to do all day, or even yet Murdering Humans because at that point you are basically killing "real" people. Or making them pee themselves or down right humiliate them...

Its states for MAC required 4gb . Same for windows 4gb

What is the Mac minimum system requirements for The Sims 4?
    REQUIRED: Internet connection required for product activation.

MINIMUM SPECIFICATION

PROCESSOR: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz Processor or better

VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce 320M, 9600M, 9400M,ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro or better. Video RAM of 256MB or better.

MEMORY: 4GB RAM

HARD DRIVE: 10 GB of Hard Drive space

INPUT: Keyboard and Mouse
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    @Cyron43 - TS4 is 64-bit in OS X

ts4-64bit.png
    Thanks, I didn't know that. :)
    EDIT: However that makes me wonder why they dumbed the game down so much then (in regards to texture quality, polygon count and closed world)? Makes no sense somehow. :grey_question:
    Possibly because they wanted it to run better on older computers. I mean they lied that TS3 could run on older computers that game was a major resource hog.
    Well all Macs built since 2006ish have been capable of running in 64-bit. And 64-bit support has been built into OS X since 2003/04 on Macs that could handle it. The oldest Mac capable of running the game, according to the minimum system requirements, is the mid 2007 iMac (I have one and whilst it runs the game ok, the graphics are pretty shocking. I'll load up the game and post a screenshot if anyone's interested), so it makes sense to make TS4 64-bit in OS X. All Macs that meet the minimum requirements are running in 64-bit.
    It would make sense if Sims 4 was created with high texture quality, decent poly count and open world.
    And Windows PCs can cope with 64 bit also. The hardware is capable of it anyway but it depends on the Windows version. A 64 bit Windows can handle it, no doubt.
    True but its still a semi open world I mean you can go around the neighborhoods without a loading screen until you want to visit someone or go to a new location.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
    D1n3r0 wrote: »
    I actually enjoy the Sims 4 graphics. TYVM! It is a better take at an alternate reality then Hyper Realism, Photo Realism, or even Shaded? Shades? (Borderlands, The Walking Dead).

I don't like the Hyper Realism Graphics unless they are racing. Other than that why would I want to spend my time telling a "human" what to do all day, or even yet Murdering Humans because at that point you are basically killing "real" people. Or making them pee themselves or down right humiliate them...

Art style and graphics are two different things. I play a fantasy type game in the sims 3 and prefer my game lots to look more fantasy than RL. . I don't mind the pixar look in the sims 4 but the graphics are not up to par with pixar

That's how much the OS initially made available, from monitoring the RAM using an app I installed in the menu bar. Nothing compared to TS3!

apple-signature.png
  • SadieD123SadieD123 Posts: 1,317 Member

ts4-64bit.png
    EDIT: However that makes me wonder why they dumbed the game down so much then (in regards to texture quality, polygon count and closed world)? Makes no sense somehow. :grey_question:
    Possibly because they wanted it to run better on older computers. I mean they lied that TS3 could run on older computers that game was a major resource hog.
    Well all Macs built since 2006ish have been capable of running in 64-bit. And 64-bit support has been built into OS X since 2003/04 on Macs that could handle it. The oldest Mac capable of running the game, according to the minimum system requirements, is the mid 2007 iMac (I have one and whilst it runs the game ok, the graphics are pretty shocking. I'll load up the game and post a screenshot if anyone's interested), so it makes sense to make TS4 64-bit in OS X. All Macs that meet the minimum requirements are running in 64-bit.
    It would make sense if Sims 4 was created with high texture quality, decent poly count and open world.
    And Windows PCs can cope with 64 bit also. The hardware is capable of it anyway but it depends on the Windows version. A 64 bit Windows can handle it, no doubt.
    True but its still a semi open world I mean you can go around the neighborhoods without a loading screen until you want to visit someone or go to a new location.

Honestly, I'd consider Sims 4 to be in a semi-closed world than to be semi-open world. Only because I would say Sims 3 is fully "open" (for all intents and purposes. Semi-open would be if they gave us the neighborhoods but instead of having all of the loading screens between lots, you don't anymore, and then all you would have is a loading screen between neighborhoods. That's what I would consider to be "semi-open." Then semi-closed is having what Sims 4 basically has now. A loading screen between every single lot, even though you can explore the neighborhood. And then fully "closed" would basically be Sims 2.
    275f503fc4c6c8ef197baeea76ebe0f91373200482_full_zpscc1a19512.gif
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    SadieD123 wrote: »

ts4-64bit.png

Honestly, I'd consider Sims 4 to be in a semi-closed world than to be semi-open world. Only because I would say Sims 3 is fully "open" (for all intents and purposes. Semi-open would be if they gave us the neighborhoods but instead of having all of the loading screens between lots, you don't anymore, and then all you would have is a loading screen between neighborhoods. That's what I would consider to be "semi-open." Then semi-closed is having what Sims 4 basically has now. A loading screen between every single lot, even though you can explore the neighborhood. And then fully "closed" would basically be Sims 2.
    Yes but you can go places in the world freely like to parks that happen to be around where you live. I don't consider that to semi closed. I can send my sims fishing and have no loading screen.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
    SadieD123 wrote: »

ts4-64bit.png

Yes but you can go places in the world freely like to parks that happen to be around where you live. I don't consider that to semi closed. I can send my sims fishing and have no loading screen.

you can fish because you have a fish spot near you, if you dont have then "load screen" this is not semi-open, to be semi-open at last the neighborhood need be open" otherwise you are just emulation your current lot plus the open area surround it, this is just give a false illusion of freedom, you still pretty much locked to your house, try to move or walk around even a empty lote and see if you can "walk over the place", you are still locked to one place per time.
  • Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    Not so much semi-open world but semi-open neighborhood. Closed world. Open, small and restricted public space.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    D1n3r0 wrote: »

I don't think people necessarily want uncanny valley when they want better graphics. I know I don't.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    What's that with 4k or even 5k anyway? That's ridiculous with a game like TS4. If the textures were highly detailed I wouldn't say anything but they are not and a high resolution doesn't change anything on that! We are not talking about GTA V for PC here ya know.
    The following screenshot is in 4k, so please click it and view in full resolution (btw the water is fully animated - and look at the bunnies :grin: ).
    gtav02272015_7.jpg

Ambient Occlusion in TS4 is much, much more accurate in 5k than say, 1440p. Also, textures in TS4 aren't that high-detailed. However, playing the game in 5k improves textures in the sense you'd be seeing all textures as if you are seeing them in close up view - even if those textures are far away from the camera. When comaparing side to side textures in 1440p are much more blurrier.

Also, GTA V is a last gen game and it doesn't look at that good even if it's in 4k.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
    edited March 2015
    elelunicy wrote: »
    Also, GTA V is a last gen game and it doesn't look at that good even if it's in 4k.
    Not true. While it came out for last gen consoles september 2013 the PC version is still not released (supposed date april 14th 2015) because they are still polishing up the game. And what do you mean with "doesn't look at that good" (besides the false grammar)? Compared to Sims 4 it's clearly much better.
    This space is for rent.
    What's that with 4k or even 5k anyway? That's ridiculous with a game like TS4. If the textures were highly detailed I wouldn't say anything but they are not and a high resolution doesn't change anything on that! We are not talking about GTA V for PC here ya know.
    The following screenshot is in 4k, so please click it and view in full resolution (btw the water is fully animated - and look at the bunnies :grin: ).
    gtav02272015_7.jpg

Ambient Occlusion in TS4 is much, much more accurate in 5k than say, 1440p. Also, textures in TS4 aren't that high-detailed. However, playing the game in 5k improves textures in the sense you'd be seeing all textures as if you are seeing them in close up view - even if those textures are far away from the camera. When comaparing side to side textures in 1440p are much more blurrier.

let me guess in order of this game dont look so bad at graphic quality and hide better the fails i must play in a 5k monitor/tv????, wow a cheap game to make me buy a high expensive( at last here) monitor/tv??? really cool.
    edited March 2015
    Not true. While it came out for last gen consoles september 2013 the PC version is still not released (supposed date april 14th 2015) because they are still polishing up the game. And what do you mean with "doesn't look at that good"? Compared to Sims 4 it's clearly much better.

good that they are going to polish GTA before release. Too bad EA doesn't follow that advice. Issue a a game with bad graphics and lots of bugs, add a game pack with more bugs. Don't fix those bugs and now add an ep on top of that which I'm sure will just add more bugs.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    The lighting and shadows in the Sims 4 needs to be fixed. I'm tired of my house looking like night time when it's supposed to be the day even when I have huge windows up.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    edited March 2015
    @phoebebebe13: Right on and In fact it's even the second delay.
    First release date was january 27, then march 24 and now april 14.
    This space is for rent.
  • 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    edited March 2015
    The game actually looks better than TS3 because EA have improved the lighting so much. BUT the objects are inferior because there's no fine detail on them. Look at how clunky most items look. It's a shame because if there was the level of detail in TS4 that TS3 had then, coupled with the lighting, the game could look really great. It does look good from a distance but close up shots of interiors just look ridiculous. Far too cartoony which is why it reminds me of Rayman.

@elelunicy - you should take a look at some of the screenshots from users on the 5K iMacs. Amazing.
    They did?

And I really tried to put all kinds of spotlights on her here, she just somehow failed to catch any of them.

I have not been in the sims 4 in a while. I seem to be missing the amazing lighting in the sims 4 too. And I love the fine detail of the bunnies on the wall. Should also state this is just a test game to learn how the game works. I have not even started a real game that I want to play because I lost interest in TS4 quickly.

0f5804bb-2ec5-4a5d-8e4e-ba5845d2bd91_zps4h0jpshe.jpg
    I don't have a problem with the lighting in my game - is this bad?

03-05-15_731c2a0pm.png

03-05-15_729c2a0pm.png

ts4-64bit.png

This is my problem with the game, everything has dangerously sharp edges o.O You could cut a hip on that 'round' counter. You might loose a lip drinking from a cup and Oh my! those octagon pans again :s The crib is a danger for the demon baby with those edges. Sims 4 will never even be on par with Sims 3
  • DonLatharoDonLatharo Posts: 151 Member
    Can Maxis not code curves? No wonder one branch shut down.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top