Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

ts4 on macbook pro mid-2012??

hey i'm thinking about buying the sims 4 but i'm not sure it will work on my computer?? mainly because ts3 is really laggy when i try to play it, i can't even change the screen resolution bc the game stops working (honestly i haven't really tried to play it because of this other than CAS, which was also laggy)
another thing is that i couldn't install the sims 3 base game through origin (although the expansion packs worked) and sims 4 is only available in origin so i don't feel like spending money on it if i won't be able to install it?? (i wasn't able to click continue after entering the serial key)

so basically i just want to know how the game works for everyone else and see if it's worth it i guess??
my computer is a 15" macbook pro from mid-2012, i think it's been used for about 1.5 years, i'm borrowing it from school and i've had it since august last year. the processor is 2.3 GHz intel core i7 and i have 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3 memory.
i have OS X yosemite installed in case that makes any difference.

sorry i don't know if this text even makes sense i'm tired but yea advice or something would be appreciated!! thank you

Comments

• Options
    xxLeilaaxxLeilaa Posts: 57 Member
    I play on a MacBook Pro 13" from mid-2012, and play all settings on high resolution. It works like a dream, no lagg at all. And yes, I had that problem with TS3, it was horrible!

My laptop specifics (is that what it is called in English though?) are just a little bit different from yours. I don't really know much about what is good and what's not, so here they are for you to compare:
    Processor: 2,5 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory: 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Video card: Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB
    Oh and it runs on OS X Yosemite as well :)
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited March 2015
    Firstly, forget about comparing TS3 and TS4. TS3 wasn't native to OS X, it was 'wrapped' using a program called Cider which made the game think it was running in Windows. That's why it never performed well on OS X without some considerable TLC from the user.

Secondly, 15" MacBook Pros significantly out perform 13" MacBook Pros at every turn. The 15" have quad core i7 processors whereas the 13" have dual core, mostly i5, processors. The 15" (apart from the mid-2014 entry level) have dedicated graphics where as the 13" have integrated.

You'll be fine :) I have the same Mac as you but with a bit more kick to it. We both have the same graphics card which is the most important aspect when it comes to gaming. These are my graphics:

kitchen.png

And apart from the odd little glitch, I think they look pretty good :D

Go for it!
    Post edited by BluebellFlora on
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    thecellabrationthecellabration Posts: 7 New Member
    thank you very much!! buying the game now so hopefully it works
  • Options
    efaspaceefaspace Posts: 85 Member
    This has been great help to me! I have the same 13" macbook pro mid-2012 and hadn't bought the game, mainly because I thought the graphics card wouldn't be good enough but I have the same specs as @xxLeilaa, glad that the game works so smoothly for you! My macbook is still running great so I was concerned that the game would potentially slow it down? Does anyone think this could happen after a while of gameplay? Obviously it's much better that they now have a native version for mac but I'm still unsure whether or not to purchase the game.
  • Options
    theanimastertheanimaster Posts: 17 New Member
    > @BluebellFlora said:
    > Firstly, forget about comparing TS3 and TS4. TS3 wasn't native to OS X, it was 'wrapped' using a program called Cider which made the game think it was running in Windows. That's why it never performed well on OS X without some considerable TLC from the user.
    >
    > Secondly, 15" MacBook Pros significantly out perform 13" MacBook Pros at every turn. The 15" have quad core i7 processors whereas the 13" have dual core, mostly i5, processors. The 15" (apart from the mid-2014 entry level) have dedicated graphics where as the 13" have integrated.
    >
    > You'll be fine I have the same Mac as you but with a bit more kick to it. We both have the same graphics card which is the most important aspect when it comes to gaming. These are my graphics:
    >
    >
    >
    > And apart from the odd little glitch, I think they look pretty good
    >
    > Go for it!

DANG! I thought as much -- that explains it! I had a look inside TS3's application 'folder' and found the items were all PC-ish. I was hoping TS4 was native and thanks to you blog I know it even runs in 64-bit mode! WOOHOO!

BluebellFlora... have you thought about upgrading your iMac to 16GB RAM?
  • Options
    @theanimaster - My 2007 iMac has 4Gb RAM, it could go to 6Gb RAM but there's no point. It's used as a TV, web surfing and testing and that's it. My 15" MacBook Pro does have 16Gb RAM installed :D
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    IonaByatt03IonaByatt03 Posts: 2 New Member
    Hi there, I know this is super late but I was wondering if you lovely people would be able to give me some advice? I would love to (finally) purchase and play the Sims 4 on my Macbook Pro, but I've been looking at the specs and I'm a little bit concerned, but I'm not that good with tech and understanding how certain specs will affect the gameplay.
    I have a:

Macbook Pro Retina (15" mid-2014)
    Processor: 2.2GHz Intel core i7
    Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

And nearly all of it registers as fine with the minimum requirements apart from the 2.2GHz...I'm just wondering if this will drastically affect the gameplay and whether I should still think about buying the game or continue to live it vicariously through YouTube videos? :smile:
  • Options
    Hi there, I know this is super late but I was wondering if you lovely people would be able to give me some advice? I would love to (finally) purchase and play the Sims 4 on my Macbook Pro, but I've been looking at the specs and I'm a little bit concerned, but I'm not that good with tech and understanding how certain specs will affect the gameplay.
    I have a:

Macbook Pro Retina (15" mid-2014)
    Processor: 2.2GHz Intel core i7
    Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

And nearly all of it registers as fine with the minimum requirements apart from the 2.2GHz...I'm just wondering if this will drastically affect the gameplay and whether I should still think about buying the game or continue to live it vicariously through YouTube videos? :smile:

The minimum specs. are for an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz or later. Yours is an Intel Core i7 which is fine.

apple-signature.png
  • Options
    NostalgicMuseNostalgicMuse Posts: 1 New Member
    Hello, everyone. Sorry about posting this late, hopefully someone will reply. I'm have the 13'' MacBook Pro mid 2012, but why am I unable to play the Demo version of the game on my computer? It says "Only available on 64 bit systems". Does that mean I won't be able to play the real game on this computer at all? And how can I fix this? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    Hello, everyone. Sorry about posting this late, hopefully someone will reply. I'm have the 13'' MacBook Pro mid 2012, but why am I unable to play the Demo version of the game on my computer? It says "Only available on 64 bit systems". Does that mean I won't be able to play the real game on this computer at all? And how can I fix this? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

The demo version is only for Windows users. The 64-bit message is erroneous. You will have to buy the game in order to play it. I think you can ask for a refund from EA if you don't like it within 24 hours or purchasing it.

apple-signature.png
  • Options
    tuityfruity12ajtuityfruity12aj Posts: 1,508 Member
    edited November 2016
    Firstly, forget about comparing TS3 and TS4. TS3 wasn't native to OS X, it was 'wrapped' using a program called Cider which made the game think it was running in Windows. That's why it never performed well on OS X without some considerable TLC from the user.

Secondly, 15" MacBook Pros significantly out perform 13" MacBook Pros at every turn. The 15" have quad core i7 processors whereas the 13" have dual core, mostly i5, processors. The 15" (apart from the mid-2014 entry level) have dedicated graphics where as the 13" have integrated.

You'll be fine :) I have the same Mac as you but with a bit more kick to it. We both have the same graphics card which is the most important aspect when it comes to gaming. These are my graphics:

kitchen.png

And apart from the odd little glitch, I think they look pretty good :D

Go for it!

I've been staring at this pic for a solid ten minutes trying to find the odd little glitch.. what is it? I can't find it and it's going to drive me absolutely crazy if I can't figure it out lol
    By the way, BluebellFlora, your graphics look beautiful. I'm jealous my Macbook Pro 15" from late 2011 can't do that :(
  • Options
    @tuityfruity12aj lol, there isn't a glitch in that picture. I can't remember what I was referring to now I took that picture ages ago! BTW, your Mac should have a dedicated AMD Radon GPU so you should be able to play with high graphics settings, especially if it has the 1Gb VRAM :)
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    tuityfruity12ajtuityfruity12aj Posts: 1,508 Member
    @tuityfruity12aj lol, there isn't a glitch in that picture. I can't remember what I was referring to now I took that picture ages ago! BTW, your Mac should have a dedicated AMD Radon GPU so you should be able to play with high graphics settings, especially if it has the 1Gb VRAM :)

It only has 512 MB of VRAM. I mean my game still looks fine, I have laptop mode on and edge smoothing off with everything else on high (sim detail on very high) and I get an average FPS of 30-50.
    Thanks for letting me know about the picture haha
  • Options
    AllieSootieAllieSootie Posts: 450 Member
    Mine is an Air, but it is from 2011 and it works fine. I've heard of many problems with Sims 3 and Macs, but Sims 4 is usually okay. Also, you can download Sims 2 from the App Store onto your Mac.