Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Drifter Challenge Main Page

Comments

• illusieillusie Posts: 13,819 Member
    @fennadev, welcome back!
  • BloudwedBloudwed Posts: 463 Member
    edited June 2018
    So, long time no see! I have been way too busy with life AND with playing other challenges as well. But finally reaching the end of House 004. Thats the furtherst I ever gotten with this challenge so I am very excited!

I calculated that if a season is 7 days and a full baby - to YA is 36 days. 5 seasons + 1. That means that however we time it some Sims WILL be very cold... Wonder if they survive in a tent? I wonder if they will be able to find treasures? It bode for interesting times! *claps hands*

On a sidenote: I have actually started to translate the challenge to Swedish because a lot of Swedish fans want to play it but finds the info overwhelming. Or just aren't that good in english. I do the translation on my blog and pondering: What if I actually password-protect House 2 to 24? So that they can not skip ahead in their reading of the challenge? I remember the excitement waiting for each new mini-challenge to be published. What do you guys think about that?

Here is the adress to the translation:

http://memyselfandmysims.se/2018/06/02/svenska-drifter-challenge-regler-hus-1/
    AMB.jpg
  • BloudwedBloudwed Posts: 463 Member
    And btw, what is the verdict with Jungle Adventures? Anyone knows? To treat it as Granite Falls I assume? May we visit the bar in the early stages btw?
    AMB.jpg
  • NakendraNakendra Posts: 179 Member
    Like I am so behind everything. So with season coming out in a few weeks, I'm thinking of starting from house one. I believe with the changing weather, it'll make the game a little harder.
  • IllusoryThrallIllusoryThrall Posts: 1,335 Member
    @Nakendra I'm thinking of re-starting AGAIN, too, for Seasons.

Seasons is going to be a big change for the sims who are drifting. I just restarted again recently, and am loath to start over.. but I also want to see how Seasons change the game from the beginning. Sigh. Choices. What do you guys think? My current playthrough is only on house 6, got to 7 the last time I played through.. maybe third time's the charm? Or should I stick with the one I've got. I'm so conflicted!
  • JojoMOMSTERJojoMOMSTER Posts: 1,965 Member
    @IllusoryThrall I would keep going! The fun part of drifter is to kept moving forward! Their moms will need to make sure they have a winter coat and rain suit so it doesn’t get distracting. Maybe if an heir is a bit frustrating, the parents will dial up the weather machine in my game.

Also the current house only would be the family host for the festivals that could be neat.

Where I am stuck is I had my 3 alien abduction sons and a total of 5 brothers and I was so unhappy with the house I bulldozed it so now I am building a 7 SIM picky house to not play it, just for the family to be left in after the drift. Large build tight budget Just for decorticating my game file.
  • CommaSpliceCommaSplice Posts: 171 Member
    So how are we Drifters going to handle seasons when starting a house?

My plan is to not buy seasons until I finish the challenge and its taken me a year and a half to get to house 6. If I don't have it I don't have to worry about anyone freezing to death before we get a roof over their head. At least I probably will buy it half price at that time.

Well, I'm on house 9 and I think I've improved as a player (largely because of this challenge) that my drifter heirs are usually able to have enough money to have a roof over their heads on day 3. So unless this pack changes things a lot--and it might if say, harvestables cannot be picked out of season or the ground is too cold to dig up crystals and fossils), I think I'll be okay. Part of the reason why I am looking forward to the pack so much is because I want that extra bit of challenge anyhow.

• Piazzagirl1015Piazzagirl1015 Posts: 2,500 Member
    edited June 2018
    So how are we Drifters going to handle seasons when starting a house?

My plan is to not buy seasons until I finish the challenge and its taken me a year and a half to get to house 6. If I don't have it I don't have to worry about anyone freezing to death before we get a roof over their head. At least I probably will buy it half price at that time.

Well, I'm on house 9 and I think I've improved as a player (largely because of this challenge) that my drifter heirs are usually able to have enough money to have a roof over their heads on day 3. So unless this pack changes things a lot--and it might if say, harvestables cannot be picked out of season or the ground is too cold to dig up crystals and fossils), I think I'll be okay. Part of the reason why I am looking forward to the pack so much is because I want that extra bit of challenge anyhow.

@CommaSplice We all play the way that we see fit and what might be good for some might not be for others. If you notice I did say that was my plan and this happens to be your plan. There are a lot of unanswered questions with the pack and we do need to find out more about them before deciding which is the best way for each and every one of us to play their own games. I guess we will find out more during the live stream next week.

@CommaSplice We all most play the way that we see fit and what might be good for some might not be for others. However there are a lot of unanswered questions with the pack and we do need to find out more about them before deciding which is the best way for each and every one of us to play their own games. I guess we will find out more during the live stream next week.

That's an excellent point. There is so much that we don't know. I was just chitchatting to another simmer and I think I may test out with a non-challenge family to figure some stuff out. There's just no question that I'm getting this pack--I've been wanting it for so long.

@CommaSplice We all most play the way that we see fit and what might be good for some might not be for others. However there are a lot of unanswered questions with the pack and we do need to find out more about them before deciding which is the best way for each and every one of us to play their own games. I guess we will find out more during the live stream next week.

That's an excellent point. There is so much that we don't know. I was just chitchatting to another simmer and I think I may test out with a non-challenge family to figure some stuff out. There's just no question that I'm getting this pack--I've been wanting it for so long.

It is best to find out first before deciding. For me it might be worth waiting for a sale. I don't want to get into a Sims 3 or 4 debate so let us not do that but I play Sims 3 more often and I have seasons there already. I can tell you right now my weather is mostly off in each of my games. It rains way too much and there is so much snow that the kids never go to school during winter. That is another option I want to find out about will we be able to shut off the weather if we want. Or set the length of the seasons? As I said too many unanswered questions.

I am actually more excited about the calendar and the custom holidays. If we can turn off the weather I might get is sooner than later, if not I will probably wait. Since you are getting it right away, could tell us all what you think of it.
    Speaking about Season's features this one is good for Drifter's in the winter, Greenhouses.
    edited June 2018
    The big question we were discussing was answered today, we can stop the weather and control the length of the seasons. This is a screen shot from the live stream:

meAFIe.png

so I guess I will be getting this after all. I really like the calendar and holidays but not the weather so much. I already decided a custom holiday for my drifter sims will be Darlene Day which will be the day they pay tribute to their founding sim.
  • IllusoryThrallIllusoryThrall Posts: 1,335 Member
    I already have Seasons on pre-order, and am so excited.. but it is good news that the live stream confirmed the ability to turn off the weather. I, for one, will mostly be leaving the weather effects on, though. I welcome the challenge it'll give to Drifting. I'm pretty sure I won't be starting my drifter save over (again). I've restarted too many times, and I'm only on house 6 now. (made it to 7b in my first attempt) Someday, I'd like to get to the end of the Drifter challenge, and I'll never do that if I keep restarting over each new challenge. (the last restart was because of toddlers..) Another thing I'm excited for is the "free update" to gardening. That will make things so much better for drifter homes that use gardening to make money.. and hooray for greenhouses!
    I'm looking forward to the sims seasons, but don't know if i'll buy it right away because it is so expensive.

I think it's a shame we can't decide which seasons they get, like we could in the sims 3. It was great to have some towns where it was always sunny. But looks like EA thought it was time to have now in the desert! Might feel odd at first and will need some getting used to...
    I didn't hear anything about igloo's so I don't think we will get it. I hope the sims won't freeze in their tent! otherwise we just have to make sure we earn money quickly to give out poor sims a roof in winter.

I don't think I'll start over either. I like my current drifter family (house 14, heir about to be born).
    edited June 2018
    illusie wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to the sims seasons, but don't know if i'll buy it right away because it is so expensive.

I think it's a shame we can't decide which seasons they get, like we could in the sims 3. It was great to have some towns where it was always sunny. But looks like EA thought it was time to have now in the desert! Might feel odd at first and will need some getting used to...
    I didn't hear anything about igloo's so I don't think we will get it. I hope the sims won't freeze in their tent! otherwise we just have to make sure we earn money quickly to give out poor sims a roof in winter.

I don't think I'll start over either. I like my current drifter family (house 14, heir about to be born).

No starting over for me either. I love this family and I will stick with them through all the changes.

You have a point about the climates. It shouldn't be snowing in Oasis Springs. Right now my Sims 3 story is in Isla Paradiso and I have it set up that they have longer summers but when the family lived in Aurora Skies I had winters longer. I do have the weather turned off in Sims 3 because it rains and snows more than I care for it to. I end up being annoyed so for me its best just to do away with it.

No igloos but campfires can keep them warm. Maybe if we put a campfire close to a tent it will keep them warm and hopefully not set the tent or them on fire. The cold isn't the only weather to worry about. They can die from extreme heat in the summer too. I'm hoping that going inside the tent will save them from burning up in the hot sun.

The gardening career is going to be great and there are changes to gardening. There will be one button to evolve and only 5 levels of evolving for plants. I cheered for that one. There is always flower arranging which I am so glad they brought that back from Sims 2.

• DebraF63DebraF63 Posts: 230 Member
    Ok just wondering if there are any changes with the Seasons Expansion pack and this challenge? @Vihisha - looks like I have to start House 6 over and on difficult not extreme.
    edited June 2018
    I did end up getting seasons but I was thinking maybe we should share some strategy to survive the weather effects. I actually haven't gone into my Drifter file yet but so far I'm thinking this will be easier than I expected.

I was thinking of increasing seasons to 28 days. I also found out that rummaging through the decoration box spawns a decorative item. I'm also testing out the scarecrow.

edit-Easier access to food:

exxuOt.png

With this around you can wait on the fridge and stove to buy walls and a roof instead.

Post edited by Piazzagirl1015 on
    I did end up getting seasons but I was thinking maybe we should share some strategy to survive the weather effects. I actually haven't gone into my Drifter file yet but so far I'm thinking this will be easier than I expected.

I was thinking of increasing seasons to 28 days. I also found out that rummaging through the decoration box spawns a decorative item. I'm also testing out the scarecrow.

edit-Easier access to food:

exxuOt.png

With this around you can wait on the fridge and stove to buy walls and a roof instead.

I started a save with a sim to test out seasons. I had her begin in autumn with 0 with a season being 7 days. She had walls and a roof before the snow fell. I haven't experimented with Oasis Springs yet, but in Willow Creek, fishing stopped being viable once winter hit and this might be an issue for certain houses. Wild harvestables stopped being available too, although I was still able to have her dig stuff and anything grown indoors that had been pollinated was viable (note: the bees go dormant in winter).

As I am on house 009, I have no plans to start the DC over. I am still holding off playing my household until I finish my experimental save and also in the hopes that a patch is going to fix the buggier stuff. I don't know if @Vihisha is going to update the challenge, but if she doesn't I may opt to make a few features with the holidays not available to challenge myself further (an activity in the harvest fest got me access to a ton of free seeds that I might normally not have been able to obtain).
    I don't have seasons yet, but it will be interesting to see your strategies.
  • Glimmer50Glimmer50 Posts: 2,365 Member
    I bought seasons and am play testing doing the runaway teen challenge as a test before I load up my drifter save. I started out in spring and am thinking I will need some type of shelter. Right now in my drifter save my family is still on the lawn but I may have to change that depending on how the weather effects things. Lately, I have been building the shells and then make the family save up to purchase it which requires them to be on the lawn a long time. I may have to change my strategy. Time will tell.
    One thing I've notice in season so far that you can no long have a group doing garden together, at least I have found a way to get friends/family to help with gardening yet.
    @nakendra, the scarecrow can help gardening when he comes to live. But I do hope you find a way for friends to help out in the garden.

@glimmer50, I hadn't thought of that. I do the same (building a shell and saving up for it), but it does sound like the sims will like a shelter.
    @illusive it's not that my sims need help, but that was the main way to get your teens to learn garden without controlling them
    @nakendra, my sims do need help. I always have huge gardens so I can afford to build the huge and expensive houses I want. So I often ask the help of friends otherwise they can't keep up with the garden.

I don't really bother with giving my heir many skills.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top