Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My Sims 3 wont start

I have had this problem a while now. I start the launcher, and click 'play'. The launcher closes and the game pops up. But then the screen just gets black, and the game does not start. Somebody else who have had this problem that can help me? I don't know what to do! (I did not install any new cc or mods between the the two times when it did work and when it did not.)
Please help me!

Comments

• caspinwallcaspinwall Posts: 916 Member
    After I click to play the game I get a black screen too. It can last several seconds (it feels like longer!) but then the intro starts. How long do you wait and what are you doing to get out of it? Did you change anything at all since you were last able to play (for example did you run a patch/update or add an expansion pack)? Try pulling the folder "The Sims 2" out of Documents/Electronic Arts and leave it on your desktop. Will the game now start up in a timely manner?
    GeneralSig_SF_03.png
  • caspinwallcaspinwall Posts: 916 Member
    Sorry - obviously that was meant to say "The Sims 3" - I am in typo hell today!
    GeneralSig_SF_03.png
  • SomeOneWhosCoolSomeOneWhosCool Posts: 13 New Member
    edited March 2015
    Hello there. I used to have this problem sometimes too. I had it on my old computer, which I didn't have much memory left on. If you have an older computer, low memory or low storage may be the cause. Try updating and make sure you have no CC or mods messing up your game. Another obvious solution is to quit the sims 3 then restart your computer. If none of that works and nothing helps, try deleting and reinstalling the base game, then if that works your expansions. That's all I can really think of for now.
    Hope everything turns out okay,
    SomeOneWhosCool. :)
  • Bily_jednorozecBily_jednorozec Posts: 1,574 Member

Hi, ImDatKrissy!
    Fully agree with this:
    Hello there. I used to have this problem sometimes too. I had it on my old computer, which I didn't have much memory left on. If you have an older computer, low memory or low storage may be the cause. Try updating and make sure you have no CC or mods messing up your game. Another obvious solution is to quit the sims 3 then restart your computer. If none of that works and nothing helps, try deleting and reinstalling the base game, then if that works your expansions. That's all I can really think of for now.
    Hope everything turns out okay,
    SomeOneWhosCool. :)
    just to add: bypassing the Launcher helps me too.
    I.E.: I'm using shortcut from C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3W.exe for launching my game, because with complete Store content + all DLC's installed + nicely furnished Mods folder it won't otherwise start.
    (I have 16 GB of RAM, but TS3 isn't able to use it all, because my fully furnished game folder is 19,4GB with only 2 Saves in it. My another game folder with fewer Store content is starting each time without problems)

I wish you happy Simming:)
    "My Studio" on thesims3.com "My Blog" on thesims3.com
    Sorry for editing my comments frequently, in most cases I'm doing this due language issues (english isn't my native language, but I'm using english, because most used by people, with who I want to communicate).
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    TS3 can only use up to 2Gb RAM, even though your Mac will make plenty available to it. That's why purging RAM frequently during gameplay is essential.

Caspin has already pointed out the golden rule. If your game isn't working move The Sims 3 folder from Documents > Electronic Arts out onto the desktop and let the game regenerate a new one.
    apple-signature.png
  • pagounispagounis Posts: 369 Member
    Same here! It takes forever to respond and start up which means that I ALWAYS bypass the launcher and start up TS3W.exe, but there seems absolutely NO result. All I did is wait (in order for my game to respond), and then if the screen stays black (which means that the game doesn't respond) it is getting me frustrated and angry. Is it because of too much memory?
    Any help would be really appreciated, thanks :)
    Joanne | 22 | Greece. Informatics student. I'm mikrolactaki3 on the gallery. Using 2 computers! My Blog: mikrolactaki3.tumblr.com
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    Sometimes the game needs enough RAM to start up. And also, did you try the move the Sims 3 folder to your desktop?
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.