Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why does the Sims 3 look dark on windows 8

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    @Candyd - I play on a similar iMac as we noted earlier and insist upon using Full Screen mode. Not getting the darkness and yellows, but my card is AMD and older than yours; things just don't seem to look as nice in Windowed mode. Also, I'm on Win 7. Between that and the AMD being so different, not sure I am being much help here.

I don't think I've ever seen a player report that GeForce Experience does them any good on Windows (any version) with TS3 in particular; mostly we recommend uninstalling that and going with Nvidia Inspector if the basic control panel doesn't offer enough options. And I'm afraid I've never tried to calibrate my monitor while in Bootcamp.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    edited November 2016
    About the fps and windowed mode : recently, I changed graphical settings. They're almost to max now, and I noticed that curiously, the fps was much higher, 110 on average and it peaked to 130, although it's a save with a mansion. I downloaded NVIDIA Inspector and set its fps limiter to 60. I started playing TS3 in windowed mode and NVIDIA Inspector works in windowed mode :smile:
    Post edited by Candyd on
  • Options
    xmilyrxsexmilyrxse Posts: 2 New Member
    > @ceejay402 said:
    > howdy
    >
    > try this suggestion: kiwi84 wrote: »
    >
    > I have tried every advice i could find find in here and Google. Have used Google alot today :) I am begining to think it may have something to do With me making the game compatible With win xp, and not win 8 ( i used win 8 the first day before it started to crash )I have updated my driver, Windows, changed settings, even tried this advice i found in an old post in here;
    >
    > If you are playing the game on a laptop and find it goes dark if you had minimised it to the desktop for a moment at any stage for whatever reason, you can prevent this by doing the following before starting up the game again.
    >
    > 1. Right click on your Sims 3 desktop icon.
    > 2. Pick the Compatibility menu folder.
    > 3. On the five "Settings" boxes, tick the one marked "Disable desktop composition".
    > 4. Click "Apply".
    > So now i dont know what more to do.

I know this is a superrrrr old forum, but, however, for those who still play the Sims 3 and have this problem, I found the suggestion above to work really well. I run Windows 8.1, and if you right click your Sims 3 desktop application, go down to "Properties", then click the Compatibility tab on the new small window it opened . . . you'll find the five boxes mentions above. But, the one you need to tick is called "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings". Worked perfectly!

Thanks and good luck
  • Options
    RuediiRuedii Posts: 168 Member
    I know this issue has bounced in and out of light several times. I'm personally trying to track down this issue because it seems to affect all platforms.

Running Wine I can intercept and trace some of the Direct3D behavior.

It's well known that the Sims 3 has some very weird behaviors on Gamma and color matching. I haven't quite put my finger on them but it uses a default display gamma that is downright insane. It then goes and adds some shader layers to compensate.

I don't know why it does this. I think it's some hairbrained attempt to expand the color space a little while still using 16 bit texture memory. Honestly most of me wants to how to turn off the behavior more than to prevent it.

If someone knows a way to capture some of the scripting behavior it might give me a clue on how to manipulate this behavior (and possible more of the hidden graphics settings, such as providing more than 4 view distance options and enabling/disabling a wide variety of rendering options.) Obviously such a script would work on most platforms. It should even work on Mac, because even though cider is old, it's not that old.