March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

cheat console won't open?

hernanzmyhernanzmy Posts: 10 New Member
edited February 2015 in Mac - Technical Discussions
I downloaded the game and the box wont show up? Does anybody have any idea how to fix this? It's seems like everyone else is using cheats just fine
Post edited by hernanzmy on

Comments

• eightsixteendeightsixteend Posts: 62 Member
    From other posts its apparently Control/shift/c not Command.
  • hernanzmyhernanzmy Posts: 10 New Member
    Thank you for responding but that doesn't do anything either :'(
  • BadmagicBadmagic Posts: 1,610 Member
    edited February 2015
    Just to confirm, your holding Control and shift down then pressing C at the same time, not just pressing one after the other?

I'm unsure why it wont work for you but asking as I saw someone having the issue that was pressing the keys one after the other rather than holding them.

edit~ Just realised this was the Mac section, I know nothing of Macs so I wont be any use.
    Yeah I'm pressing them at the same time also I looked at the hotkeys on my mac and none of them seem to be control shift c
  • MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    On Mac, the Command key typically does the same thing as the Control key does on PC. That's one of the few things I remember from a digital media class I took where we used Macs.
    Yeah I guess it should work but it doesn't :neutral_face:
  • MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    Someone just posted in Technical that they cannot open the cheat window and have Mac Yosemite. Is your OS also Yosemite?
    no its mavericks
  • southaltansouthaltan Posts: 152 Member
    I am having the same exact problem. :-/
    Okay hopefully well find a solution :D
  • SimsocitySimsocity Posts: 224 Member
    I've heard updating to Yosemite will help with solving several problems. If you are willing and can do so, I would recommend it!
    Oh really ? Do you think that's the reason why cheats doesnt come up?
    it still doesnt work but thanks for the suggestion
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    Works for me. Maybe you disabled the Control key when the keyboard was accidentally reconfigured?
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • southaltansouthaltan Posts: 152 Member
    it baffles me because I'm able to use CTRL + SHIFT + C in TS3, but not TS2 either.
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    Same command in TS2. Really weird it's not working.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • CoCoChiaCoCoChia Posts: 1 New Member
    Same problem here!
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    @Crinrict, the Windows genius on all things Sims, has just told me that when this problem happens to Windows users it is normally screen capture software that's the conflicting problem. Do any of you have this type of software installed on your Mac? If so, try uninstalling it, deleting Trash then restarting your Mac.
    apple-signature.png
  • nadineRAINBOWnadineRAINBOW Posts: 1 New Member
    Same problem here :\
    Try clean booting your Mac:
    1. Disable auto login (if applicable). This is done through System Preferences > Users & Groups. Make sure your user account is selected then click the lock, bottom left of the screen, and enter your password. Click on Login Options then turn off Automatic Login.
    2. Restart your Mac. When you get to the login window enter your password and hold down shift whilst clicking on the Login button
    3. Once your Mac's ready to go start up the game (do not open anything else beforehand!), load your family or house and immediately try the cheat console again CTRL + Shift + C

This issue is either conflicting software on your Mac or a keyboard configuration. It is not a problem within the game itself. If it was all Mac users would be unable to use the cheat console. Once again, Crin has stated that for Windows users it seems that screen capture software is the culprit.
    apple-signature.png
  • EmilyLouisexoEmilyLouisexo Posts: 33 Member
    Using the command button wasn't working for me, the control button works just fine!
    as i said before neither work for me, and thanks for you suggestion i tried rebooting it it twice but it still wouldn't show up, I'm starting to think that my game doesn't work. Also I can't open my game without origin being open is that the same for everyone else? I open the sims 4 in my apps folder and it automatically opens origin.
    hernanzmy wrote: »
    as i said before neither work for me, and thanks for you suggestion i tried rebooting it it twice but it still wouldn't show up, I'm starting to think that my game doesn't work.
    This problem is user related. Something on your Mac is causing it. The cheat console controls - CTRL+Shift+C - are built into the game and work for the majority of users. Unfortunately no one as yet can figure out what's causing it. In Windows screen capture software was mainly to blame. You could also try adding another Input Source keyboard in System Preferences.
    hernanzmy wrote: »
    Also I can't open my game without origin being open is that the same for everyone else? I open the sims 4 in my apps folder and it automatically opens origin.
    Yes.
    apple-signature.png
  • Slothy SlothSlothy Sloth Posts: 1 New Member
    edited February 2015
    I'm having the same issue. I've restarted the game and my mac book many times. I've tried entering "cheats" into the game preferences, in addition I have "repaired" the game through origin. I don't think i have any screenshot editing programs on my mac, but if you know of any 'hidden' ones, let me know. It's very strange and I would just like for the cheat bar to open. Any new developments?? Anything I missed trying?? Thanks!

** Edit

MAC USERS: (CONTROL+SHIFT+C) NOT (COMMAND+SHIFT+C) oops..

Okay. Clearly I was one track minded. Having a Mac I was just focusing on 'command+shift+c' while not realizing that I don't think I had ever even tried 'control+shift+c'. PROBLEM SOLVED. Not sure if this was a combination of me fidgeting with everything and then trying 'control'. but none the less it works.
  • erliauerliau Posts: 10 New Member
    it may be one of your keys isn't working. Probably the control; test this by hitting control and the left directional arrow, it should take you out of the game into the desktop. If it isn't the actual key that's broken I'm not sure what! It works fine for me on my Mac, which is a 2013 MacBook Pro and Yosemite