Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will you still be playing The Sims 3 after The Sims 4's Mac release?

Since you Mac Simmers now have The Sims 4 to play on OS X, I was wondering if any would still be interested in playing The Sims 3 or at least if any Mac Simmers will be discussing on TS3 Mac Discussions. To me, The Sims 4 is a good game but expensive (although TS3 is very expensive) and lacks some features such as open world and Create a Style but it getting content updates (the Ghosts, Pools, Careers, etc.) and I believe there might be one in March. Plus, it has aspirations and goals. I may be doing a Let's Play of it in the future. Also TS4 is less buggy and runs better compared to TS3. The Sims Medieval is also faster than the latter.

Since EA hasn't updated the game, things will be good or bad. The good is finding new versions of Mods/CC won't be an issue but the bad is that glitches won't be fixed including the Intel Iris problem and considering many Mac users use the MacBook Pro, it could be problems if they got the new Retina MacBook Pro. I'm going to help people be aware of the existing bugs and yes, there are a lot. The bugs will be in Compiled list of bugs in The Sims 3.

It's hard for me to abandon TS3 since I've been playing it since 2009 and it has really interesting things to do in. If you ask if I will still play The Sims 3 at least on Mac and PC, I would answer Yes.

Anyways, enjoy The Sims 4 if you like it.
Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer

Comments

• Options
    IncalculableDesireIncalculableDesire Posts: 20 New Member
    TS3 was amazing to me. It still is. I enjoy TS4 as well however until more expansions packs are released, I think I'll find myself getting bored with the lack of careers and "gaps" in the game that Ambitions, Generations, Late Night, Pets, Seasons, University, etc. added. On another note I've had no problems with TS3 on my Macbook Pro with retina. If anything I've had the least amount of issues with it since switching to a MAC. And my computer runs the graphics on high with little lag. The only real lag seems to be in the the town that came with Island Paradise to my dismay.

I also believe I will find myself always loyal to TS3. :smiley:
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    I'm still playing it and am currently working on my Apple World in CAW :D

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/814235/apple-world-in-caw
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    caspinwallcaspinwall Posts: 916 Member
    I am still very happy playing The Sims 3 and don't intend to buy TS4. After all these years I still really look forward to getting a few hours at the weekend to disappear into my game :)
    GeneralSig_SF_03.png
  • Options
    lmwenger21lmwenger21 Posts: 50 Member
    caspinwall wrote: »
    I am still very happy playing The Sims 3 and don't intend to buy TS4. After all these years I still really look forward to getting a few hours at the weekend to disappear into my game :)

Same here. After all the negative things I've read about the Sims 4, I just don't have a lot of interest in it. Besides, like @caspinwall‌ said, you can really escape into the Sims 3 because there is just so much content. Shoot, I'm still exploring exchange content and still don't even own the Sims 3 store.
  • Options
    Elf67Elf67 Posts: 1,198 Member
    I have no plans to EVER buy Sims 4-to me it's a major downgrade, like Windows Vista was compared to Windows XP and ios 7 & 8 compared to ios 6. I will continue to play Sims 3 on my Mac and Sims 2 on both my Mac and Windows PC.
  • Options
    Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    I'm not giving it up. I still play Sims 2. Just have to remember what works and what doesn't as far as commands. ;)
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • Options
    tamalinntamalinn Posts: 1,435 Member
    I wasn't planning on giving up TS3 anytime soon.
  • Options
    PastelDanPastelDan Posts: 45 Member
    edited February 2015
    I'll be the first to say no then. ;)
    Sims 3 has always been extremely unstable on all Macs I've played it on. And the rare times it did work, it was ridiculously slow. I'm glad Sims 4 is so much faster and more stable.
    OCFGsVj.jpg
  • Options
    WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    I will still be playing The Sims 3 and I'm currently doing Let's Plays of the game which I mentioned in this thread. It's good no one (except one) has given up on TS3 yet.
  • Options
    @PastelDan TS3 can be stable if you follow the tips and tricks mentioned in the thread at the top of this forum. I usually don't have problems. Still playing TS3 more than TS4.
  • Options
    AshpeefAshpeef Posts: 173 Member
    edited March 2015
    Maybe I'll never switch to 4 at all. Having played the Create a Sim demo and after seeing both all of EA's promo's and a quite a few Let's Plays I'm getting less and less exited over the new version. Apart from the obvious things like (as of yet) too few objects and clothes, the loss of Create a Style/Pattern, the inability to follow my Sims from (any) A to (any) B — to me the main selling point of 3 back when it was still bare bones compared to 2 — and the impossibility to direct all my family members as soon as one of them goes to a different lot, I have two more reasons.

The first is that, even though in CaS you can seemingly create more extremely proportioned and diversified Sims they all end up very similar 'feeling' to me, probably because of their much more cartoony looks. It's like Fred, Wilma, Pebbles and BamBam all very clearly being Flintstones. No Create a Style or even simple color changes doesn't help here, or in the build mode either (and don't get me started on the foliage in 4, yikes).

The other and still more important to me is that EA continues to move away from the sand box type game the Sims used to be, towards a play style where the player has to achieve certain pre-defined goals along just as pre-defined paths. See for example the way you have to do all kinds of explicitly stated things to get a party a success. I feel forced to play their way, instead of simply 'fooling around' how ever I like.

Going from 1 to 2 was a no-brainer.
    Going from 2 to 3 I had to sacrifice a couple of things I liked, but over all it seemed (and proved) to be well worth accepting that, because there was more freedom and there were more than enough good 'new things'.
    Going from 3 to 4 I get to feel very limited and even restricted. And, at least for now, it does not seem to be worth the sacrifice at all...
    Post edited by Ashpeef on
  • Options
    5W33TH34RT5W33TH34RT Posts: 323 Member
    I went from TS1 to TS3, and I don't plan on switching until TS5. If that never happens, I guess I'll find a new game.
  • Options
    ennaedwynennaedwyn Posts: 68 Member
    Nope - Sims 3 was still wonky on my Mac and I threw my hands up in the air (and waved them like I just don't care) - went to Sims 4 on my Mac and never looked back. Hey! I'm rhyming! Nevermind... ;)
    <3
    Don't eat my avatar!!!!!!! You can find in the community under: ennaedwyn (boy! that was tuff! )
    tumblr_nd4jozkfUy1rrhhnko5_500.gif
    Maybe he was born with it or .....
  • Options
    veiledstarveiledstar Posts: 587 Member
    Still playing sim 3 on Mac and PC (it looks SO much better on my mac). I don't care how much bother I have to go through. Sims 4 is just not as alive as sims 3 or 2 for that matter.
    NraasSignature.png
  • Options
    Dylan.WalshDylan.Walsh Posts: 115 Member
    I am still playing The Sims 3.
  • Options
    Still play 2 & 3. Not so much on 4. It's kind of boring.
  • Options
    RosillatrixRosillatrix Posts: 60 Member
    I just got the Sims 4 and I have mixed emotions... I'm used to the camera controls and stuff from the Sims 3 and when I play TS4, it's kinda confusing and annoying to have to adjust to different settings. I know that there's an option to switch the camera settings back to TS3 version but it's honestly not the same (ex: the camera doesn't rotate up or down like it used to). I also down like how you can't create different colours/patterns or have the open-world concept. BUT, I do, however, think that TS4 is amazing for building!! We can now choose the height of walls, make objects bigger/smaller, there's even items in TS4 that were never in the Sims 3 (i.e. those vents about stoves... I can't remember what they're called lol) I think that once I get the hang of TS4, I'll enjoy it more...
    Origin Username: Rosillatrix
  • Options
    WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    I just got the Sims 4 and I have mixed emotions... I'm used to the camera controls and stuff from the Sims 3 and when I play TS4, it's kinda confusing and annoying to have to adjust to different settings. I know that there's an option to switch the camera settings back to TS3 version but it's honestly not the same (ex: the camera doesn't rotate up or down like it used to). I also down like how you can't create different colours/patterns or have the open-world concept. BUT, I do, however, think that TS4 is amazing for building!! We can now choose the height of walls, make objects bigger/smaller, there's even items in TS4 that were never in the Sims 3 (i.e. those vents about stoves... I can't remember what they're called lol) I think that once I get the hang of TS4, I'll enjoy it more...

The Sims 4's controls may take time getting used to since some are different from The Sims 3. One example is basement building in The Sims 3 vs The Sims 4, and the shortcut keys: in TS3, J opens the Skill Journal but opens Careers in TS4 which the new Skills shortcut key is L which in turn L opens the Celebrity Journal in TS3, confused?), Esc opens the Options menu rather than F5, etc.

Going from The Sims 3 to The Sims 4 will have you opening the Careers tab when trying to view skills, going back to TS3 to view the Careers would also having you opening up the Skill Journal and opening the Celebrity Journal when trying to view skills.