Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

- Grey/opaque windows -

124...Next

Comments

• BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    cbartsch69 wrote: »
    I'm having the grayed out windows in laptop mode, too. Now I can't decide if it's better to run the game in laptop mode and deal with the windows or to play with it turned off and know that I'll be risking the random crashes... (Haven't noticed a crash since I started using laptop mode a few days ago, but then again, I haven't played much since then).

Any new updates on how to get rid of the grayed windows while still using laptop mode?

Oh, my specs:

OS X El Capitan (v. 10.11.2)
    MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)
    Processor 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory 8 GB
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

Hmm, we have the exact same spec. Mac but mine isn't the retina. You shouldn't need to have the game on laptop mode at all. Are they VMmap error crashes you're experiencing?

apple-signature.png
  • matt01matt01 Posts: 15 Member
    All windows with panes are grey/opaque with laptop mode on. Turning laptop mode off fixes the issue but makes the game laggy. All graphics settings on high.

OS X El Capitan (v. 10.11.1)
    MacBook Pro (Retina, 13", Early 2015)
    Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory 8 GB
    Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    If the game is laggy, turn down your graphic settings to medium or lower. That should help the lag issue
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • meepweepmeepweep Posts: 309 Member
    OS X El Capitan (v.10.11.2)
    Macbook Pro (13'', Late 2011)
    Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory 4 GB
    Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB

The grey windows go away when I play in non-laptop mode but the game lags, and turning down the graphics make the game look bad imo. The world in general looks different even with the graphics up which I don't like. I wish this would be solved in a patch.
  • breannababesbreannababes Posts: 5 New Member
    Hi,
    I just started playing on laptop mode and the windows were clear for a couple weeks, but when I turned on the game yesterday they were all greyed out. I understand that the greyed windows are usually due to the laptop mode being on and lower graphics cards, but it was just weird that they were fine and then they weren't. I thought it was some cc, but took it out and nothing. Any ideas?
    Specs:
    OS X El Capitan (v.10.11.2)
    Macbook Pro (13'', Early 2011)
    Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory 4 GB
    Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB
  • breannababesbreannababes Posts: 5 New Member
    I forgot to mention on my post that it's not every window that's greyed out. The more modern looking windows are fine, the ones with frames are all grey if that makes sense.
  • meepweepmeepweep Posts: 309 Member
    ^ I forgot to mention the same thing. And that's pretty much how it "works" in my game as well.
  • JessRay199JessRay199 Posts: 2 New Member
    > @BluebellFlora said:
    > A lot of users are reporting an issue whereby the windows are greyed out/opaque in their game. This seems to be all those with integrated Intel graphics. If you are experiencing this please can you post here. I need to know what graphics card you have and what operating system you are running. You can find this information by clicking on the Apple icon, top left of your desktop then selecting About This Mac. Please also state whether you have Laptop Mode enabled in the in-game graphics options. You may need to scroll down the window to see the Laptop Mode option.
    >
    > I already know some people's specs. which I have detailed below in the second post. The more people who post the better, EA need to know so they can hopefully work on a fix :)
    >
    > UPDATE 20.02.15 - this issue is affecting ALL non-Retina users with integrated Intel graphics who have Laptop Mode enabled. When Laptop Mode is disabled, windows appear as normal but performance is significantly diminished, sometimes even causing crashes. A workaround may be to lower graphics settings

YES! Thank you sooo much! It was because of "Laptop mode". I know tons of others have had this issue. Check that your setting is off... if you want your windows see through
  • JessRay199JessRay199 Posts: 2 New Member
    YES! Thank you sooo much! It was because of "Laptop mode". I know tons of others have had this issue. Check that your setting is off... if you want your windows see through
  • Bubble602Bubble602 Posts: 1 New Member
    How do some youtubers have clear reflections on the sims mirrors and how do people like Lifesimmer get new hairstyle and clothes and it doesn't even come in a expansion pack
  • norkalsimmernorkalsimmer Posts: 11 New Member
    @BluebellFlora I have had greyed-out windows since I got The Sims 4 which is when it was released for Mac. I don't have laptop mode on and I still have greyed-out windows. It didn't bother me before until I started uploading creations to the gallery. I think the windows make my builds look very unflattering. Plus it just makes the game feel dull. Here are my specs: MacBook Pro Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014, Processor 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5, Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Graphics Intel Iris 1536 MB, Software OS X 10.9.5 (13F1911). I'd really appreciate it if you could get back to me- the sooner the better. Thanks!
  • maddiem002maddiem002 Posts: 79 Member
    I tried putting laptop mode off and even upped the graphics and they are still opaque. Turning off laptop mode worked for a couple weeks but now, nothing is working.
  • Rin_MiyukiRin_Miyuki Posts: 1 New Member
    hey (this is my first time using a forum so i'm sorry if i mess this up but) I just got the sims 4 the other day and when i started it the start up animations are fine until i get to the main menu and everything is greyed out, when clicking play create a sim works fine but after that everything is all greyed out and then crashes, i think it has to do with my video card (i'm not sure if its supported) so heres my spec list

OS X El Captain
    version 10.11.6

MacBook Air (11-inch, Early 2015)
    Processor 1.6 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB

ive tried turning off laptop mode and it still wont work
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Rin_Miyuki wrote: »
    hey (this is my first time using a forum so i'm sorry if i mess this up but) I just got the sims 4 the other day and when i started it the start up animations are fine until i get to the main menu and everything is greyed out, when clicking play create a sim works fine but after that everything is all greyed out and then crashes, i think it has to do with my video card (i'm not sure if its supported) so heres my spec list

OS X El Captain
    version 10.11.6

MacBook Air (11-inch, Early 2015)
    Processor 1.6 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB

ive tried turning off laptop mode and it still wont work

Your Intel graphics are supported but overall MacBook Airs aren't built for power, they're built for portability. You should be able to play but your game may become laggy over time with large save files and added game packs.

In Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4 drag your Options.ini file to the trash then restart your game. Your graphics will be reset back to default settings. If you're still having the issue lower all settings to Low and see if that helps.

apple-signature.png