Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Issues with Mods and CC in The Sims 4 on Mac

Comments

• Bananas_45Bananas_45 Posts: 6,772 Member
    Im So Mad Right Now I Cant Place A Lot From The Gallery Because It Says "Cant Place In This Game Mod" Ughh!! Please Help

Annoyed :s

I kind of skimmed and didn't see an answer for you. This message occurs when you have live Sims on the lot you are trying to place the Gallery House in. Simply switch to build mode and if you can afford the house, it will place it.

• devdev90devdev90 Posts: 3 New Member
    I'm new here so if this has already been answered sorry guys. But I'm new to Sims 4 for Mac and as far as installing the mods and stuff, I don't even see a folder for electronic arts or mods. Any help?
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,519 Member
    edited November 2015
    devdev90 wrote: »
    I'm new here so if this has already been answered sorry guys. But I'm new to Sims 4 for Mac and as far as installing the mods and stuff, I don't even see a folder for electronic arts or mods. Any help?

Hello @devdev90. When you play the sims 4 the first time, a sims 4 folder will be generated. The sims 4 folder will be located in Documents - Electronic Arts - then the Sims 4 folder will be there. Inside the sims 4 folder there will be a mods folder.
    These links explain about cc and mods
    http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/08/mods-and-downloads/
    http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Installing_Sims_4_Package_Files
    http://simsvip.com/2014/08/22/how-to-install-custom-content-in-the-sims-4/
    http://sims-online.com/install-mods-custom-content-sims-4-tutorial/
  • georgiatinkgeorgiatink Posts: 2 New Member
    Hi, wondering if you could help please. I am a mac user and ever since the most recent update for The Sims 4 my CC hasn't been shown in my game. I tried looking for the resource.cfg file however it isn't a file and just a document in my Mods folder? Any ideas on how to get my CC back please? Thanks.
  • maddersdreamsmaddersdreams Posts: 31 Member
    Hello
    After the new patch you have to re-eanble your custom content in game options I think its under the other tag the game will need restarting once the box is ticked :)
  • georgiatinkgeorgiatink Posts: 2 New Member
    Hi, wondering if you could help please. I am a mac user and ever since the most recent update for The Sims 4 my CC hasn't been shown in my game. I tried looking for the resource.cfg file however it isn't a file and just a document in my Mods folder? Any ideas on how to get my CC back please? Thanks. > @maddersdreams said:
    > Hello
    > After the new patch you have to re-eanble your custom content in game options I think its under the other tag the game will need restarting once the box is ticked :)

Yeah so I tried re-ticking the box in the 'Other' category, I quit my game and then loaded it back up. Does that count as restarting?
  • maddersdreamsmaddersdreams Posts: 31 Member
    Yes it does
  • emilysimmsemilysimms Posts: 14 New Member
    edited December 2015
    I'm finding consolation in this thread because it seems my game isn't the only one thats making the sims plastic-y. most often, my game (in CAS) will run fine, unless I'm shifting between CC (such as trying out different hairs or tops etc). but then they look like they've been dipped into plastic... I do use CC, and a lot of it, I have about 300 files of cc, and I'm really annoyed. When the sims 4 came out on the PC, I bought it and due to CC malfunctions and not knowing the problem causer, I often had to delete my CC and fill it up with new mods. NOW I HAVE TO DO IT ON MY MAC... Not very fun. Also, a bunch of my CC from Tumblr Isn't showing up in my game,and the game Isn't recognizing it. I have aplications to un-zip etc but, alas, no luck.
    This has been going on so long, and honestly, I have no motivation to play. Any fixes would be SOOOOOOO appreciated.
    xo, em
    edited December 2015
    I'm finding consolation in this thread because it seems my game isn't the only one thats making the sims plastic-y. most often, my game (in CAS) will run fine, unless I'm shifting between CC (such as trying out different hairs or tops etc). but then they look like they've been dipped into plastic... I do use CC, and a lot of it, I have about 300 files of cc, and I'm really annoyed. When the sims 4 came out on the PC, I bought it and due to CC malfunctions and not knowing the problem causer, I often had to delete my CC and fill it up with new mods. NOW I HAVE TO DO IT ON MY MAC... Not very fun. Also, a bunch of my CC from Tumblr Isn't showing up in my game,and the game Isn't recognizing it. I have aplications to un-zip etc but, alas, no luck.
    This has been going on so long, and honestly, I have no motivation to play. Any fixes would be SOOOOOOO appreciated.
    xo, em
    (didn't realized that posted twice..oops!!)
  • candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    Emilysimms, I read that the content on Tumblr is not to good so don't use it. I have had a few problems myself. I use CC a lot also I can't play the game without it. TSR is somewhat better but even there you can have problems depending on the CC. I would try and stay away from CC that looks like it is it is sparkly or shining such as clothing that looks like satin, or has a lot of sequins or glitters on the garment. Mac doesn't seem to pick it up well. Hair is a problem too some people just make better Sims hair then others.
  • lada28lada28 Posts: 1 New Member
    My mods are still not working. I have delete the resource file and yet nothing!
    I've downloaded normally from websites. Only a few work, but whenever I download new ones, nothing works.
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    It could be that the mods were not updated to be compatible with the latest patch. Always check to see if the mod was updated to the latest patch. If it is not, then you'll need to find an alternate mod that does.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • fashion200fashion200 Posts: 3 New Member
    Hi My game just won't allow ANY MORE CC even if i download it straight from my mac it won't appear anymore is it because i have too much (i have a lot of cc in my mods folder)
  • mabby130mabby130 Posts: 3 New Member
    so I've been recently having problems with some versions of custom content in the sims 4. with some items while in live mode they appear to make the entire sim look glossy or plastic like (like how the mannequins from the get to work expansion pack look). mostly the problem occurs with custom content jeans. Is there some really easy fix that I've been overlooking or I'm i just sunk in terms of finding cc jeans? :(
    While CC is fun, you have to be careful of how much you download. When Sims 4 was first released for the Mac, there was a limit of how much CC you could add to the game. While this issue was supposedly fixed, you need to be sure of exactly what you want to add to your game and how much CC is essential and what you can live without.

In terms of the "plastic" look, again this was noted before and has to do with the fact that well some CC isn't 100% Mac compatible. We don't know why, it just is. There is no "fix" for it. You either need to except the plastic look or remove the CC in question.

Sorry, these weren't more helpful answers. But this is what we've learned since the release of the game last February.
  • soliloquyysoliloquyy Posts: 1 New Member
    I am still having trouble, and I JUST bought the game, updated it, enabled both types of mods. CC works fine, Script mods do not. They show up when I view mods under the script mods category, but they don't work in game. I'm literally about to refund the game on origin because without these script mods working, I don't want to play.
    Please bear in mind that Sims 4 was originally programmed for Windows OS and many of the script mods may only work on that OS. Unfortunately, there are very few if any modders who code specifically for the Mac, but the game itself is coded to run on our OS without the mods.
  • SimGuruModSquadSimGuruModSquad Posts: 597 Member
    edited February 2016
    Hi guys,

@soliloquyy @Tremayne4260 : script mods should behave identically between Mac and PC. My suspicion on what @soliloquyy is reporting with script mods is that they are not being unpacked correctly, as it can be slightly confusing. Here is the rule of thumb when downloading script mods ZIP files:
    • If the ZIP contains .ts4script files then unpack these files into the mods folder and do NOT put the ZIP in the mods folder.
    • If the ZIP contains .py files then do not unpack the ZIP, place the ZIP directly in the mods folder.

Modders often put readmes in their ZIP files to explain this, as it's an easy mistake to make.

Also note that script mods are very prone to breaking when we patch the game, so also make sure the creator has confirmed that the mod is compatible with the version of the game you are running.

Hope the helps,
    SGMS
  • SimGuruModSquadSimGuruModSquad Posts: 597 Member
    edited February 2016
    As for glowing/shiny CC issues, I am still trying to get a handle on those. Please move discussion about that over to this thread http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/816877/why-is-my-sim-glowing#latest
  • candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    Makes not difference if I have mods or not my game does not work. I have taken my game off removed ever thing that I could find and then reinstalled it. I still get the mapping issue.
  • IreenaSilverIreenaSilver Posts: 3 New Member
    I've been over and over these threads over the last two days and I've tried everything that has been suggested, yet the game still fails to launch. All of my CC is fine (I did the one by one method and they all proved to be ok). What happens is that I will load my Mods folder with half my CC (no script mods) and then extract from there to see which is causing the problem.

If it does happen to launch I take that bunch out and put it in a "safe mods" folder on my desktop. I then take the other half and load it up and work from there. But each time, I end up testing all of the CC and they ALL work, just not together. Now this wouldn't be a problem if it would let me use the mods separately. But when I go back to put the "safe mods" (extracted from the folder, instead of the entire folder placed in the Mods folder) those will not launch either! And then I have to build again to see which/where/how much will load. But even if I go one mod over after finding the "safe zone" I have to go through all of them again.

I'm coming from a PC to a Mac and on my PC the game worked like crap, visuals very poor and glitchy and such, but the CC worked. Now the game works smoothly like it's supposed to (without CC) but I can't add CC. This is beyond frustrating!
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    I've been over and over these threads over the last two days and I've tried everything that has been suggested, yet the game still fails to launch. All of my CC is fine (I did the one by one method and they all proved to be ok). What happens is that I will load my Mods folder with half my CC (no script mods) and then extract from there to see which is causing the problem.

If it does happen to launch I take that bunch out and put it in a "safe mods" folder on my desktop. I then take the other half and load it up and work from there. But each time, I end up testing all of the CC and they ALL work, just not together. Now this wouldn't be a problem if it would let me use the mods separately. But when I go back to put the "safe mods" (extracted from the folder, instead of the entire folder placed in the Mods folder) those will not launch either! And then I have to build again to see which/where/how much will load. But even if I go one mod over after finding the "safe zone" I have to go through all of them again.

I'm coming from a PC to a Mac and on my PC the game worked like crap, visuals very poor and glitchy and such, but the CC worked. Now the game works smoothly like it's supposed to (without CC) but I can't add CC. This is beyond frustrating!

Sounds like one or more of your Mods are conflicting with each other, have you checked the creator's site for information on any known conflictions?

apple-signature.png
  • IreenaSilverIreenaSilver Posts: 3 New Member
    > @BluebellFlora said:
    > IreenaSilver wrote: »
    >
    > I've been over and over these threads over the last two days and I've tried everything that has been suggested, yet the game still fails to launch. All of my CC is fine (I did the one by one method and they all proved to be ok). What happens is that I will load my Mods folder with half my CC (no script mods) and then extract from there to see which is causing the problem.
    >
    > If it does happen to launch I take that bunch out and put it in a "safe mods" folder on my desktop. I then take the other half and load it up and work from there. But each time, I end up testing all of the CC and they ALL work, just not together. Now this wouldn't be a problem if it would let me use the mods separately. But when I go back to put the "safe mods" (extracted from the folder, instead of the entire folder placed in the Mods folder) those will not launch either! And then I have to build again to see which/where/how much will load. But even if I go one mod over after finding the "safe zone" I have to go through all of them again.
    >
    > I'm coming from a PC to a Mac and on my PC the game worked like crap, visuals very poor and glitchy and such, but the CC worked. Now the game works smoothly like it's supposed to (without CC) but I can't add CC. This is beyond frustrating!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Sounds like one or more of your Mods are conflicting with each other, have you checked the creator's site for information on any known conflictions?

I have about 6GB of Mods so doing that would take days. I did however take today to test out all the mods I could. There are about 2 gigs of mods that aren't usable so far. I'm still confused as to why they work on windows but not on mac. Why don't they love us.
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    I'm still confused as to why they work on windows but not on mac. Why don't they love us.

Because we're only 10% of the computer world :)

Although Mods should work in both Windows and OS X.
    apple-signature.png