Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 base game vs Sims 4 base game

Comments

• AwesomeAbsterAwesomeAbster Posts: 61 Member
    > @Nix said:
    > 4 loses out purely because it brings nothing new to the table.
    >
    > Even if you like the graphics, the emotions, even if you don't feel like there's anything missing and hated toddlers - the fact is, base games are supposed to improve on older titles, and 4 not only offered nothing new or updated, but had even less content than 3's base game. Which is regressing.

I completely agree with this.
    Screen_Shot_2017_11_06_at_7_17_39_AM.png
    ❤️Imagine those toddlers with puppies and kittens in their arms❤️
    I do agree there are somethings better in Sims 4. I like the CAS in Sims 4, and I think building the house itself in build mode is easier. But the graphics in Sims 3 are more realistic. I also enjoy creating families and stories which I feel Sims 3 is better for. I really like terrain edit in S3 because, life is not flat.

That is actually a perfect explanation for the Sims 4, it is flat. The emotion system is just stupid and annoying and it is mostly there to make more of there bland personalities. In the Sims 4, there personalities are bland and don't affect them, except for there emotions, when for example a flirty sim will randomly feel flirty. If you have a neat sim in 4, it won't change ANYTHING. If you have a neat sim in 3, they can clean up house. Emotions was basically an excuse for them to be lazy on how traits work in S4.

Open World is a big discussion too. I do think it is ridiculous you have to wait 1-3 minutes to go to a neighbor's house. I understand it is too late to change it now, but what about more entertaining loading screens or open world in your section? I know some people say open world is a waste of your Sim's time, but for a life simulator it is incredibly unrealistic to move from one area to the next in no time. Also, some destinations may be rabbit holes, but at least they are there and you can still do stuff in them. In Sims 4, they are not there at all.

As I said earlier, I enjoy creating stories and families. I feel like in 4, you can't really create stories, it feels like Storybrooke from Once Upon a Time. I tried to come up with a story including a mean traited sim parent and there child. And yet, the mean traited parent constantly went up and was kind to there child.

Overall, I respect the Sims 4 and enjoy customizing sims in CAS, but I think it was made lazily.
    edited November 2015
    > Aesthetics are subjective. But whether or not you like them doesn't take away from the point that the post was making -- these sims were not expressionless. Actually, both Sims 3 and Sims 4 sims have times when they're showing expressions and times when they're not. I think Sims 4 huge colored emotion icon with a huge picture of a face with an expression distracts from the expression on the sims face itself.

I agree with this. I am sorry if I quoted it wrong, I am new.
  • MiyuEmiMiyuEmi Posts: 2,404 Member
    edited November 2015
    I personally prefer the Sims 3 base game. The existence of toddlers, vehicles and the open world alone do it for me but I believe that TS3 was more closely in line with the way simmers began playing TS2 and that's a legacy type of gameplay, constantly extending a family tree. I like the trait system and how it affects the way sims interact, to me this felt like a great improvement on the solely astrological sign basis for personalities. As far as items available at purchase of the base games, TS3 wins hands down with pools, numerous items and the Create a Style tool available from the purchase of the main game.

With TS4, the things I didn't like (to the point of no longer playing the game) were the aesthetics (graphics) are cartoony, childish scenarios, loading screens, lack of toddler life-state, broken multi-tasking (getting up and down all over the house during meals and leaving plates all over the place) and emotions system (emotions fluctuated constantly and bad emotions were extremely difficult to get rid of while good ones were extremely difficult to hold onto), household items break too frequently, piles of garbage left on the floor when you fix said broken items, bug which occurred for me fairly regularly where my sims could suddenly no longer use the fridge and there also appeared to be no autonomous cleaning of the house. There were very limited items available, though admittedly more clutter based items, clearly based on seeing how popular these were on independent mod sites. Finally, being told it was not a life simulation game by developers, but actually a time management game.

While I have my clear preference, both games are bug infested which is a shame. One day with EPs and SPs a plenty, TS4 will not run as smoothly as it does for so many people so I won't state that as a benefit to the game. I'm sure that if I uninstalled all but one EP and a few SPs, TS3 would run really smoothly, but then again I'm fairly lucky. I don't have a lot of system issues with TS3 and I built my PC for the game so I don't expect many. Which ever game you prefer would be the one I suggest based on play style. What do you want to accomplish when you play the sims? That will usually determine how intricate a sims game you actually should be playing. TS3 is far more intricate (in my opinion) a game than TS4.
    Screenshot-56.jpg[/img]
    Crowley Family Legacy Patriarch - Jonah Crowley
  • Luis_CarlosLuis_Carlos Posts: 228 Member
    I would like a remake of sims 3 HD, or a 3.5 adding things from sims 4.

I have spent too much money buying sims 3 to start again, and if I want to play with all exp... the sims 4 with all packs would be crimanl, horrible for my computer.

I wish a reboot of the sims 3.
  • nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    I would like a remake of sims 3 HD, or a 3.5 adding things from sims 4.

I have spent too much money buying sims 3 to start again, and if I want to play with all exp... the sims 4 with all packs would be crimanl, horrible for my computer.

I wish a reboot of the sims 3.

Sims 5?

• SincerboxSincerbox Posts: 2,279 Member
    When TS3 came out there were those who loved their TS2 and were just not satisfied with TS3. They simply kept playing TS2 and had to deal with their disappointment that TS3 did not meet their expectations. The same here. I love TS3. While TS4 has many nice things and pretty graphics, I am happy to continue playing TS3. I will try out TS4 from time to time to see how it evolves. For now, I love my TS3. If one needs a short reason for my preference here it is: Open Worlds. The shiny new features of TS4 while nice do not make up for the removal of Open Worlds (for me.)
    Origin ID: Barbara917
  • amaresityamaresity Posts: 319 Member
    Sincerbox wrote: »
    When TS3 came out there were those who loved their TS2 and were just not satisfied with TS3. They simply kept playing TS2 and had to deal with their disappointment that TS3 did not meet their expectations. The same here. I love TS3. While TS4 has many nice things and pretty graphics, I am happy to continue playing TS3. I will try out TS4 from time to time to see how it evolves. For now, I love my TS3. If one needs a short reason for my preference here it is: Open Worlds. The shiny new features of TS4 while nice do not make up for the removal of Open Worlds (for me.)

This about sums it up for me to. I had fun with TS4 to start with but have gone back to TS3. There's just too much I missed about it.
  • DjonieDjonie Posts: 11 New Member
    A few of my wishes for The Sims are:

- I'd like The Sims to be realistic. Although I think the sims of TS4 look good, they don't look realistic. They look best in TS3, with a few mods installed. I think it's a pity that EA Games decided not to improve this, but to completely change it.

- I remember the existence of supermarkets and clothing stores in TS2, and even the candy and jewelry stores in TS1. Stores that weren't rabbit holes! You see, I want my sim to leave the house to buy groceries, for example. Being able click on the refrigerator or stove and selecting the desired meal for which you can pay on the spot.. It's just not working for me. Again, not realistic.

- I felt happy when I found out that TS3 would have an "Open world". All other sims in the neighborhood are living their own lives, growing old! And, no more waiting (loading screens) to visit a friend, bookstore or restaurant. But then my biggest disappointment: The rabbit holes. My sims would eat dinner at a restaurant, and there's nothing to see. I'm sitting here, waiting after all.

Lastly, what I want to say is: I believe TS4 should have been a combination of all the best of the previous three games. Instead, they seem to have started from scratch. I'm not completely sure, as I haven't been playing TS4 much yet, but I seriously doubt it really was necessary.
  • BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    Djonie wrote: »

- I'd like The Sims to be realistic. Although I think the sims of TS4 look good, they don't look realistic. They look best in TS3, with a few mods installed. I think it's a pity that EA Games decided not to improve this, but to completely change it.

- I remember the existence of supermarkets and clothing stores in TS2, and even the candy and jewelry stores in TS1. Stores that weren't rabbit holes! You see, I want my sim to leave the house to buy groceries, for example. Being able click on the refrigerator or stove and selecting the desired meal for which you can pay on the spot.. It's just not working for me. Again, not realistic.

- I felt happy when I found out that TS3 would have an "Open world". All other sims in the neighborhood are living their own lives, growing old! And, no more waiting (loading screens) to visit a friend, bookstore or restaurant. But then my biggest disappointment: The rabbit holes. My sims would eat dinner at a restaurant, and there's nothing to see. I'm sitting here, waiting after all.

Lastly, what I want to say is: I believe TS4 should have been a combination of all the best of the previous three games. Instead, they seem to have started from scratch. I'm not completely sure, as I haven't been playing TS4 much yet, but I seriously doubt it really was necessary.

Yeah, I find rabbit holes somewhat annoying, although one thing I did find a while back when I had a Sim teen out on a date with her boyfriend was that because of the open town set-up and my habit of keeping an eye on all my Sims regularly, it was kind of nice just to have them pop into the rabbit hole theater for a while. Still, I would like to have real-type open stores TS2 style. I always enjoyed buying clothes for my Sims in TS2. I would pick out certain outfits for a household so not every household even had access to the same clothes.

Where groceries are concerned I don't usually let my Sims cook anything for which they don't have the ingredients in the fridge and in a challenge I started playing recently it's one of my rules: if you don't have it you can't eat it. I also really don't let them shop a lot for groceries because of sub-standard quality. There's this part of me that's a food snob (never mind the fact I can't afford to be, it's there) and given the option of growing my own high-quality produce compared to buying what the stores carry I'd grow it every time so I've never had a TS3 family without a garden.

I know a lot of us really expected TS4 to be a conglomeration of the best of TS2 and TS3 and were surprised with what was ultimately released.
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    BSIRegina wrote: »
    Djonie wrote: »

Yeah, I find rabbit holes somewhat annoying, although one thing I did find a while back when I had a Sim teen out on a date with her boyfriend was that because of the open town set-up and my habit of keeping an eye on all my Sims regularly, it was kind of nice just to have them pop into the rabbit hole theater for a while. Still, I would like to have real-type open stores TS2 style. I always enjoyed buying clothes for my Sims in TS2. I would pick out certain outfits for a household so not every household even had access to the same clothes.

Where groceries are concerned I don't usually let my Sims cook anything for which they don't have the ingredients in the fridge and in a challenge I started playing recently it's one of my rules: if you don't have it you can't eat it. I also really don't let them shop a lot for groceries because of sub-standard quality. There's this part of me that's a food snob (never mind the fact I can't afford to be, it's there) and given the option of growing my own high-quality produce compared to buying what the stores carry I'd grow it every time so I've never had a TS3 family without a garden.

I know a lot of us really expected TS4 to be a conglomeration of the best of TS2 and TS3 and were surprised with what was ultimately released.

I myself like rabbit holes, I do find it useful sending Sims into one and not have to worry about them for a while ;)
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • mpeltonmpeltonmpeltonmpelton Posts: 1 New Member
    > @Ellessarr said:
    > Strawburry3 wrote: »
    >
    > So it's been a long, long time since I've played the Sims 3. I played it for about a month when it first came out and haven't touched it since, so it's really difficult for me to compare it to the Sims 4 seeing as I don't remember much of anything from the game. I've seen a lot of debate and heat different discussions about which one takes the cake, but never fully understand why. If you take the base of these two installments (yes, the base. Or is it fair to compare all of Sims 3 to the base of Sims 4 & a GP?) which do you still prefer and why? What does one have or lack that the other does or doesn't?
    >
    > (P.S: If there's a thread like this already please direct me, I did not see one.)
    > Disclaimer: this isn't a bashing or hate thread. I know this topic can rile people up, though I'm genuinely curious and would like to see different point of views. c: Thanks!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > just think
    > the sims 3 base
    > pool
    > cars
    > open world
    > cast
    > storyprogression
    > places to work(even if is a rabithole you can still interact with others sims make friends, sims 4 you just leave the house and vanish)
    > ghosts
    > basement
    > family tree
    > toddlers
    > big map
    > you can have 64x6 lot
    >
    >
    > the sims 4
    > cas
    > pool
    > ghosts
    > emotions
    > family tree
    > tiny map
    > max 50x50 lot
    >
    >
    > end.
    >
    > the sims 3 base have more features counting updates in both games.
    >
    > both games have bugs
    > both games are limited to 32 bits
    > sims 3 have more interactions
    > sims 3 you can swin in beach, lakes and bla bla bla
    > sims 4 swin only in pool.
    > sims 4 the sim dont need the ladder to leave the pool
    > load screen everywhere
    > you can't proper play with big family because of the limitations of load screen

The problem with this is that you forget the main point as to why I, despite being in the minority, like the Sims 4 better. Imo, and many others, sims 2 blows the sims 3 out of the water hands down, and one of the many reasons for that is because it feels more alive. The sims 3, wherever you went, was a ghost town. I remember installing late night and visiting one of the clubs to find myself bored senseless at the dreariness of the place. Nobody was there, and the reason sims 2 didn't have problems with this was because it wasn't open world. THIS IS A GOOD THING. It allows sims to appear at any venue and appear more lively. You can go to a club and actually see people dancing. Sims 4, I think, trashed the idea of sims 3 and upgraded sims 2. It is simply sims 2, base game, with better graphics. You can finally see people everywhere and FINALLY there aren't rabbit holes everywhere.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited March 2016
    Deleted.

(because, oh well, whatever, nevermind)
    Post edited by JoAnne65 on
    5JZ57S6.png
  • SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member
    > @Ellessarr said:
    > Strawburry3 wrote: »
    >
    > So it's been a long, long time since I've played the Sims 3. I played it for about a month when it first came out and haven't touched it since, so it's really difficult for me to compare it to the Sims 4 seeing as I don't remember much of anything from the game. I've seen a lot of debate and heat different discussions about which one takes the cake, but never fully understand why. If you take the base of these two installments (yes, the base. Or is it fair to compare all of Sims 3 to the base of Sims 4 & a GP?) which do you still prefer and why? What does one have or lack that the other does or doesn't?
    >
    > (P.S: If there's a thread like this already please direct me, I did not see one.)
    > Disclaimer: this isn't a bashing or hate thread. I know this topic can rile people up, though I'm genuinely curious and would like to see different point of views. c: Thanks!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > just think
    > the sims 3 base
    > pool
    > cars
    > open world
    > cast
    > storyprogression
    > places to work(even if is a rabithole you can still interact with others sims make friends, sims 4 you just leave the house and vanish)
    > ghosts
    > basement
    > family tree
    > toddlers
    > big map
    > you can have 64x6 lot
    >
    >
    > the sims 4
    > cas
    > pool
    > ghosts
    > emotions
    > family tree
    > tiny map
    > max 50x50 lot
    >
    >
    > end.
    >
    > the sims 3 base have more features counting updates in both games.
    >
    > both games have bugs
    > both games are limited to 32 bits
    > sims 3 have more interactions
    > sims 3 you can swin in beach, lakes and bla bla bla
    > sims 4 swin only in pool.
    > sims 4 the sim dont need the ladder to leave the pool
    > load screen everywhere
    > you can't proper play with big family because of the limitations of load screen

The problem with this is that you forget the main point as to why I, despite being in the minority, like the Sims 4 better. Imo, and many others, sims 2 blows the sims 3 out of the water hands down, and one of the many reasons for that is because it feels more alive. The sims 3, wherever you went, was a ghost town. I remember installing late night and visiting one of the clubs to find myself bored senseless at the dreariness of the place. Nobody was there, and the reason sims 2 didn't have problems with this was because it wasn't open world. THIS IS A GOOD THING. It allows sims to appear at any venue and appear more lively. You can go to a club and actually see people dancing. Sims 4, I think, trashed the idea of sims 3 and upgraded sims 2. It is simply sims 2, base game, with better graphics. You can finally see people everywhere and FINALLY there aren't rabbit holes everywhere.

I've never understood the aversion to rabbit holes. So you can't see inside the building. So what? It's better that they just disappear? smh

TS4 can't touch TS2 for gameplay. And that art style... my eyes... MY EYES!!!!
    I don't quite understand mpeltonx2's post by the way, because it seems they are comparing Sims 2 and Sims 3 basegames, which isn't the subject of this topic (nor the post they were quoting). Also I'm interested why Sims 4 would be an upgraded sims 2. As if only graphics matter. Besides, Sims 2's graphics aren't that bad.

Baby_zps8urthaba.jpg

10-9-14_14-40_zps3a78d1bf.png
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    TS3 all the way for me. Was it a perfect base game? No. But I did spend an entire weekend playing it nonstop when it came out and was enthralled by it. The open world, Create-a-Style -- these and other features were a considerable step forward for the franchise. All these years later I'm still playing it.

TS4? While I don't own it I've played it at someone else's house. After a very short time it's so boring. I hate the ugly Resusci-Baby-like plastic object babies. I hate the load times. I hate the small neighborhoods. I hate being tied to Origin. I hate the art style.
  • fxchrfxchrfxchrfxchr Posts: 329 Member
    Stdlr9 wrote: »
    TS3 all the way for me. Was it a perfect base game? No. But I did spend an entire weekend playing it nonstop when it came out and was enthralled by it. The open world, Create-a-Style -- these and other features were a considerable step forward for the franchise. All these years later I'm still playing it.

TS4? While I don't own it I've played it at someone else's house. After a very short time it's so boring. I hate the ugly Resusci-Baby-like plastic object babies. I hate the load times. I hate the small neighborhoods. I hate being tied to Origin. I hate the art style.

Yup, I played BG TS3 to death when it first came out, too. There was so much to try out - one poster said she hadn't even tried two of the base game careers - really??? I tried them all lol! Another poster found collecting boring !?! To each their own...

Then, when WA came out it was, like, too much - so much to do again!

I guess a lot depends on your play style and what you expect out of the game :)

Firby nurbs!
  • fxchrfxchrfxchrfxchr Posts: 329 Member
    As for art style comparisons, I'm sure we've seen this before.

vnfjvl.png

Firby nurbs!
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    I'm wondering why someone resurrected a thread dead for 2 months to post about Sims 2 when the original topic was comparing Sims 3 with Sims 4.
  • Ionutp93Ionutp93 Posts: 1 New Member
    In my opinion Sims 3 is better than 4 when we are talking realism Sims 4 is way off and what is that toddler is an expansion pack EA disappointed me with Sims 4 a lot
  • LynlanLynlan Posts: 2 New Member
    TS3 is my choice.
    I really don't know what to do with Sims 4... have to look up a guide to do it T_T
  • PastelplumbobPastelplumbob Posts: 1 New Member
    If just base game alone, i believe you should get the sims four, however it doesnt seem to be making much progress. You could easily get the sims 3 with expansion packs for the same price <3
  • KatNipKatNip Posts: 1,066 Member
    What's wrong with rabbitholes? In every game you've had rabbitholes, in a different style. Why now is it such a problem?
    edited June 2016
    fxchrfxchr wrote: »
    As for art style comparisons, I'm sure we've seen this before.

vnfjvl.png
    The person who made that comparison wasn't biased at all :p

Screenshot-1951_zps6f006279.jpg

Another art style comparison:

S3S4_Silas_zpsqwjr02w1.png
    5JZ57S6.png
  • KethKeth Posts: 165 Member
    To be honest, I find that just the base game of either gets boring fairly quickly. As a whole, I like TS3 better but for just the base game I would recommend 4. As I said, I think both get boring fairly quickly but I never had a problem with TS4's base game; I can't say that about TS3. In fact, without the NRaas mods, I find TS3 to be largely unplayable.