Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How does culling work?

I keep hearing about sims disappearing because the population is too high in the world. Why can't they make it so the world stops generating sims once you reach 60-70% of the world population cap (needs to be increased anyway)? Also, why don't they just delete the ghosts when it's time, and leave the names on the tombstones (and pictures in the family tree)? Pictures and names won't slow the game down will it?

Comments

• Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,342 Member
    I agree, we really need a checkbox that can be ticked to stopp the generating of townies.

I have a related question: I have 174 sims (the dead included) atm, so the culling should start soon. Will the game for the unhoused/unplayed sims first or is everyone in danger?
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    I agree, we really need a checkbox that can be ticked to stopp the generating of townies.

I have a related question: I have 174 sims (the dead included) atm, so the culling should start soon. Will the game for the unhoused/unplayed sims first or is everyone in danger?

The game seems to leave housed Sims alone. It only culls unhoused Sims.

So far, fyi, nobody is reporting that the No More Culling mod (it stops culling *and* gets rid of the population cap) leads to any game problems or slower loading: http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=545615 I haven't got my population over 180 to find out for myself, though. Just keeping an eye out for people who have!
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    SkellySpadesSkellySpades Posts: 328 Member
    How can you do a population check?
  • Options
    BadmagicBadmagic Posts: 1,610 Member
    How can you do a population check?

I may be wrong but I think people are using this mod.

http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=535402
  • Options
    ShepherdmoonShepherdmoon Posts: 1,486 Member
    How do you know if a Sim has been culled? My played Sim fell in love with a brand-new townie that had just been created (because I just bought the game pack she was in). They became boy-friend/girl-friend. Then she left the lot... and never came back. When I went to look for her the next Sim day I couldn't find her. Her portrait in the notifications, along with several other Sims he had just met, had turned into a featureless silhouette. Does that mean they were culled? Why on earth would Sims that were just created and interacted with be culled, when there are so many others that my played Sims have never payed the time of day to? Shouldn't there be some order-of-operations when deciding who to cull, with romantic interests LAST on the list??
    tumblr_static_sh2.gif
  • Options
    agent_bevagent_bev Posts: 1,313 Member

So far, fyi, nobody is reporting that the No More Culling mod (it stops culling *and* gets rid of the population cap) leads to any game problems or slower loading: http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=545615 I haven't got my population over 180 to find out for myself, though. Just keeping an eye out for people who have!

Won't the problem with that be that the game will still keep generating new sims? Or does the mod stop that too?

• Options
    How do you know if a Sim has been culled? My played Sim fell in love with a brand-new townie that had just been created (because I just bought the game pack she was in). They became boy-friend/girl-friend. Then she left the lot... and never came back. When I went to look for her the next Sim day I couldn't find her. Her portrait in the notifications, along with several other Sims he had just met, had turned into a featureless silhouette. Does that mean they were culled? Why on earth would Sims that were just created and interacted with be culled, when there are so many others that my played Sims have never payed the time of day to? Shouldn't there be some order-of-operations when deciding who to cull, with romantic interests LAST on the list??

I think that if a Sim is culled, they disappear completely? Open Manage World > Manage Households to look for them.
    The SimGurus posted in a fall game update that the culling was fixed to exclude housed Sims, but it seems they've gotten stopped at fixing which townies get culled :( Maybe in the March update?? It's either become more aggressive recently or is hitting more forum Simmers because our games are getting older and our population counts higher.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    agent_bev wrote: »

Won't the problem with that be that the game will still keep generating new sims? Or does the mod stop that too?
    agent_bev wrote: »

The game will keep generating Sims, yes, but possibly slower. The mod is compatible with the Reduce Townie Generating mod, though. (Complete stopping of townie generating is apparently not a thing, but by all reports this mod gets close.) That said, keep in mind that Reduce Townie Generating will mean your town keeps aging without more kids showing up unless you make them.
  • Options

I think that if a Sim is culled, they disappear completely? Open Manage World > Manage Households to look for them.
    The SimGurus posted in a fall game update that the culling was fixed to exclude housed Sims, but it seems they've gotten stopped at fixing which townies get culled :( Maybe in the March update?? It's either become more aggressive recently or is hitting more forum Simmers because our games are getting older and our population counts higher.

Well, I can't find the Sim using any lists like people my Sim can call on the phone, and she isn't in the relationships panel any more. The only place that shows she ever existed in the first place are the notification pop-ups that I haven't deleted yet, and those don't have her picture anymore (for instance, sadly, the one saying the he was having his first kiss with her).
    tumblr_static_sh2.gif
  • Options

Well, I can't find the Sim using any lists like people my Sim can call on the phone, and she isn't in the relationships panel any more. The only place that shows she ever existed in the first place are the notification pop-ups that I haven't deleted yet, and those don't have her picture anymore (for instance, sadly, the one saying the he was having his first kiss with her).

You can find out if a Sim is still in the world or not by going to Manage World, then clicking Manage Households on the top right. The likely-to-disappear Sims are in the "Not in World" tab there. If she doesn't show there, she's been culled, and you're seeing cached elements that have lost the image along with the culling. I'd guess that means the Sim has *just* been culled.

Right now, the only ways to totally stop the culling of a Sim seem to be to move that Sim into a house which you can do right in the world, by clicking the house, or from Manage Worlds) or to get the No More Culling mod.
  • Options

You can find out if a Sim is still in the world or not by going to Manage World, then clicking Manage Households on the top right. The likely-to-disappear Sims are in the "Not in World" tab there. If she doesn't show there, she's been culled, and you're seeing cached elements that have lost the image along with the culling. I'd guess that means the Sim has *just* been culled.

Right now, the only ways to totally stop the culling of a Sim seem to be to move that Sim into a house which you can do right in the world, by clicking the house, or from Manage Worlds) or to get the No More Culling mod.

Do you know what order they delete them in? Is it random? It shouldn't be, but it seems that it is.
    tumblr_static_sh2.gif
  • Options

Do you know what order they delete them in? Is it random? It shouldn't be, but it seems that it is.

No idea! I haven't seen anyone track it.
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,342 Member

Oh, that´s good news!
    I´ll move in my favourite townies asap and leave the rest to their cruel fate dramatic storyline, keeping track of the victims in case a pattern emerges. It´s really only my playables and a handful of child age townies I care for (kids dying/getting culled is a bit too much for me), all in all 70 persons. Once my playables reach 180 I´ll look into the mod you linked to :)

• Options
    AndygalAndygal Posts: 1,280 Member
    No reason not to use the mod now.
  • Options

Oh, that´s good news!
    I´ll move in my favourite townies asap and leave the rest to their cruel fate dramatic storyline, keeping track of the victims in case a pattern emerges. It´s really only my playables and a handful of child age townies I care for (kids dying/getting culled is a bit too much for me), all in all 70 persons. Once my playables reach 180 I´ll look into the mod you linked to :)

fyi dead Sims get counted into the 180 too! There's a mod that will retrieve your population count for you.
  • Options
    cherparcherpar Posts: 2,092 Member
    The thing I fnd most annoying about this is keeping the dead around. Surely the dead should only be kept for any active household and the player can eliminate that by releasing the ghost to the netherworld. I will be interested to try the no culling mod but I'm trying to finish my legacy and slready having memory problems, so will need to leave that till another game.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    cherpar wrote: »
    The thing I fnd most annoying about this is keeping the dead around. Surely the dead should only be kept for any active household and the player can eliminate that by releasing the ghost to the netherworld. I will be interested to try the no culling mod but I'm trying to finish my legacy and slready having memory problems, so will need to leave that till another game.

I know part of the idea is we can resurrect dead Sims, but it makes sense for that only to keep Sims we actually know. And I'd like a way to manually remove the dead Sims from the count, the way I can remove living Sims from the worlds. I'll make do with the mod, but lots of players don't mod on principle: they want the developers to provide all the tools. (I don't entirely "get" that view, but that's okay - the point really is that there's lots of people who would benefit from an in-game solution, including people who don't even know about modding.)
  • Options
    cherparcherpar Posts: 2,092 Member
    cherpar wrote: »

I know part of the idea is we can resurrect dead Sims, but it makes sense for that only to keep Sims we actually know. And I'd like a way to manually remove the dead Sims from the count, the way I can remove living Sims from the worlds. I'll make do with the mod, but lots of players don't mod on principle: they want the developers to provide all the tools. (I don't entirely "get" that view, but that's okay - the point really is that there's lots of people who would benefit from an in-game solution, including people who don't even know about modding.)

Yes that makes sense for keeping the dead but I think there must be a better ways for it to work. I'm grateful for mods, I could never have continued with sims 3 without Twallans mods. Being non technical, it was a leap at first and twallan made it so easy by having all the mods one could need. When starting to use mods in sims 4, my main query was how do i know if they will work togheter. I think the idea is you are supposed to check the files modified. I could see for some simmers though, it could just be too technical. For others thought, there does seem to be a feeling that they should never have to use mods. That's all good, people should only do what they are comfortable with.

However in terms of the culling/ Townie management sense, I think the developers should make it a priority to get the balance better - its crucial for a lively and diverse world - a selling point of sims 4. But I'll take any mods I can get. Been so grateful for shimrods mods, they address most of the issues really pressing for me. Probably gotten a bit off topic, lol!

Also really do appreciate the effort you take in bringing it to the attention of the developers.
  • Options
    army11army11 Posts: 3 New Member
    Hi to all, Here a good solution i finded and work well, to get rid of ghost, culling etc. At the link posted by Luthienrising (Modthesim), click on Related upload, then MC Command center, 3 mod + the central mod help for story progression (Population - move sims in house, Pregnancy sim have child, and cleaner - no more ghost; culling etc). check this, mate resolve to much, also the option (just still don't work also) to refill empty house. Enjoy and have fun days.
  • Options
    NightSimNightSim Posts: 33 Member
    I absolutely hate when they have a sim limit! I want to do a legacy game and I am downloading the no culling mod for it! Thankfully there is a mod
  • Options
    JayytaughtyouJayytaughtyou Posts: 90 Member
    How do you check your population??
  • Options
    How do you check your population??

There's a command available if you use MC Command Center, and there's an old mod at Mod the Sims called Get Population.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    I haven't had culling happen since last spring when I started deleting townies manually. I just counted my sims and got 122, I hope that's everyone. I'm making a ghost mansion for my favourite dead sims, so I don't have to worry about them and they'll stay in the family tree in case culling strikes. It's actually funny because if you leave their tombstone on another lot they can still haunt there :D
  • Options
    I have the no culling mod but now I am getting an issue where I have endless loading screens and I want a huge family tree but I am on the recent update and the mod is probably out of date! I need help! I already tried getting a new sims folder and replacing the tray, mods, and saves folder!
  • Options
    I just got a file called lastException and one part I read said that it failed to load household. Since I was trying to go back to my house after traveling and the loading screen was endless I know there was a problem. I don't know what to do. I don't want to lose my sims!