Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

is it worth it?

I have all the expansion packs except this one. Is it worth spending 20 bucks on origin? I was going to buy ethnic stuff from the store, would this weigh me down?

Comments

• KatAnubisKatAnubis Posts: 3,241 Member
    "Worth it" is only in the eye of the person who plays it. For some people, it's not worth it, but for others it is more than worth it. For instance, I only have WA because all of the other EPs had things in them (such as vampires) that I don't want in my game at all, or because they didn't seem like something I wanted or would use anyway (like the future one).

What do you mean by "ethnic"? There are small decorative things your Sim can buy in the relic merchant store. There are books and recipes that can be bought at the bookstore (which I *really* like.) There are camping things that can be bought in the general store like tents, shower in a can, dehydrated camping food (ick!) and the like. You can also buy really nice cameras in Egypt (and box cameras in France and China). The closest to the "ethnic" stuff would probably be the relic things as the other store things (with the exception of some specialty items like fireworks in China) are not really destination specific.

The pack does require that your computer do more work. It also adds more files (the destination files), so it takes up more save room. I guess that could be considered "weighed down."
  • monday_34monday_34 Posts: 211 Member
    Origin is having a Sims Anniversary sale, so it's only $10 to get it.

I really like WA, so to me it's worth it. Hours of gameplay, brand new option of going on vacation, new build/buy objects, ability to own a vacation home (or with mods, live there permanently,) you get 3 new towns and styles, etc. I'm not quite sure what you mean by ethnic, but theres new hairstyles and clothing that is specifically themed to the country you can visit (China, Egypt, France.) I encourage you to take a look at what comes with it to decide if it's what you are after.
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    I paid $5 since I got it with the Expansion Bundle when that was on sale last year for $10. After playing WA quite a bit, I'd pay $10 for the EP, assuming you have Generations and aren't going to get the Expansion Bundle.
  • KarinLKarinL Posts: 3,989 Member
    I pre-ordered it when it was new, and considering the amount of time I've spent playing WA destinations, even that was worth it for me.
    I'd definitely pay $10 on Origin for it if I didn't have it. It adds a lot of hairstyles and clothing, recipes, harvestables and skills.

I'd say it's worth it just to get the nectar maker and the martial arts skill, even if the vacation adventures get old...

In some cases I've actually edited the destination worlds to be more like vacation areas. Just adding some bars and pools makes travel a whole different experience. :)
  • ZandalarZandalar Posts: 88 Member
    > @lhermann13 said:
    > I have all the expansion packs except this one. Is it worth spending 20 bucks on origin? I was going to buy ethnic stuff from the store, would this weigh me down?
    I loved this EP but I believe @Katanubis stated that "Worth it" was dependent on who was playing it... I completely agree. I could see why some people wouldn't like this EP and some people would.

I loved it though.
    421342.gif
  • sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    Such an amazing EP, if you like travelling buy it!
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited February 2015
    It's nothing compared to Bon Voyage nor Vacation (TS1) much worse in my opinion, your sims don't have much to do, if you are expecting a pack that will offer you a place for your sims to relax, to enjoy a vacation and explore amazing vacation worlds you will be quite disapointed, World Adventures is not about Vacations, it's about adventures basically Sims Tomb Raider, you do quests, find some collectibles and that's pretty much it. There are few new skills like the martial arts and photography that I enjoy though.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • KatAnubisKatAnubis Posts: 3,241 Member
    Yes, it definitely is about adventuring more than vacationing, which is why it's a disappointment to a lot of people. However, I use it as a vacation spot once my Sims are to the Level 3 visa (which takes adventuring a lot over several visits) and then it's in the family for everyone to use for all the generations of that family in that neighborhood. I send my Sims there to "skill up" and/or honeymoon mostly.

I'm very fond of nectar making and the martial arts. I'm not as fond of the photography (as I'm not into "collecting.") And I really like the new recipes and garden items you can get. You don't even have to travel to get those things. You use testingcheatsenabled true, then buydebug, then you can get all the WA items that you would have to travel to get from under the ? in buy mode.

But the adventures can be fun. I'm not much for games where you have to fight monsters but I do like the "puzzles" for the adventures. The only real "monsters" are the mummies (and they're not just in Egypt). There are traps to avoid and/or disarm and mazes to find your way through, with loads of puzzles along the way.
  • BleubellBleubell Posts: 457 Member
    edited February 2015
    I love this expansion pack because there are so many new recipes, harvestables, objects, skills and opportunities available to your Sims, not to mention the amazing new gameplay! I have all of the expansion packs and I love them all. It is very helpful and fulfilling to own every one of them. Go for it and hurry while it's on sale!
    tumblr: brooklynsims / cc finds blog: brooklynsimscc
    thank you thread
  • GREENEYAGREENEYA Posts: 7,796 Member
    lhermann13 wrote: »
    I have all the expansion packs except this one. Is it worth spending 20 bucks on origin? I was going to buy ethnic stuff from the store, would this weigh me down?

Yes. World Adventures is one of the best TS3 expansions.

3 new worlds are awesome.
  • EnchantedpreyEnchantedprey Posts: 676 Member
    love WA
    Enchanting the world one moment at a time
    The Pink Plumbob Completionist Club Thread
    Why yes I do own the store!
    tumblr_mragciJXbT1s5ucs6o1_500.gif

• lhermann13lhermann13 Posts: 57 Member
    Thanks guys I ended up getting it!
  • ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    It's still one of my favorites. I've been dropping hints for a TS4 version of it over in the TS4 forums.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • maiandjinxmaiandjinx Posts: 6 New Member
    Is it worth $20? I'd really say no. Is it worth getting; yes, but when it is on a serious sale. It's not the best of the expansion packs in my opinion, but that's mostly because my laptop's older and quite often decides right after the loading screen is finished and I can't yet save when my Sims return from a vacation to stop working for me, become non-responsive, and just close the Sims 3 for me. But, that's just me. Like I said, my laptop's older and the family of Sims I was asking it to transport were all fairies, which takes another toll on my laptop's capabilities. But, the worlds are interesting and I enjoyed the photography aspect of it immensely. I enjoyed it even more when University Life came out and it made it so you automatically had a camera and didn't have to travel to another country to get one. The nectar-making skill is one that I find kind of interesting, but you have to travel to France to be able to get the materials without cheats. (Minus the stuff to store the nectar) You do get to travel to new places, but it does come at the cost of a loading screen. And you get basements! I love that addition! It just completes the experience to have the basements, though its purpose is for the whole nectar-making thing. If you're not into the whole sort of thing with this expansion, then don't get it. But on the other hand, if that's kind of what you're into, it would be a shame to have it missing from your collection. So, if you want it, wait until it is on a serious sale. I got mine last year for about $5 because it was on a serious sale, and when it's that price it's really nice and worth it. Even at $10 I can see it being worth it, but you should seriously wait until its on sale because it is not worth $20, but it is worth getting eventually. Hope this helped! (One thing that really helped me when getting Sims 3 expansion packs was watching Lazy Game Reviewer's reviews of them on Youtube. Totally recommend watching them)