Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

- Can my Mac run The Sims 4? Answers can be found here -

Comments

• BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    @BluebellFlora
    I just want to say, I bought TS4 after you gave your advice and I have to say it great. The game had a popup saying that my graphics card wasn't supported and it may have issues, but I have had none so far and it's running way smoother than TS3 ever did.

That's great! Interesting that it says your card isn't supported when it's on the minimum requirements though. The problem with Sims 3 has always been that it was never natively written for OS X, it's the Windows version 'wrapped' using Cider so the game thinks it's running in Windows but it's not. TS4 is native, thankfully :)

apple-signature.png
  • MrBrightersideMrBrighterside Posts: 6 New Member
    Seems awfully lazy of them to run TS3 as an emulation don't you think?

I'll sure miss hearing "Da Linnip" playing on the pop radio :'( (Until I download it as an MP3 and add it to the music folder that is).
  • thebigmermaidthebigmermaid Posts: 9 New Member
    Hey there!
    I really wish I could just make my own post, but fulfilling the member requirements are a lot of hoops to jump through.

I have a 15 in Macbook Pro running El Capitan with a 2.5 GHz intel core 7 and 16 GB of memory.

My pictures in game turn black immediately after taking them.
    I've tried reseting my mods folder (the only one I have installed is MC Command Center, which was updated to the latest patch).
    This has only been happening since the latest patch.
  • doralogydoralogy Posts: 2 New Member
    Hi everyone!

I am getting a new MacBook Pro soon and after going though some of the comments here I think TS4 would run alright on the MacBook I intend to buy, but just to make sure (I tried running TS3 on my old MacBook Pro a few years ago and that did not work out too well) -

13-inch model with Touch Bar, OS Sierra
    2.9 GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
    256 GB PCIe-based onboard SSD
    8 GB of 2133 MHz LPDDR3 onboard memory
    Intel Iris Graphics 550 (I understand this is not the most ideal graphics card but perhaps I could lower my graphics settings or upgrade it afterwards)

Thanks in advance :)
    doralogy wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

I am getting a new MacBook Pro soon and after going though some of the comments here I think TS4 would run alright on the MacBook I intend to buy, but just to make sure (I tried running TS3 on my old MacBook Pro a few years ago and that did not work out too well) -

Intel Iris Graphics 550 (I understand this is not the most ideal graphics card but perhaps I could lower my graphics settings or upgrade it afterwards)

Should be fine but you can't upgrade graphics cards in Macs, not the dedicated AMDs in the 15" and not the integrated Intel in the 13".

apple-signature.png
  • doralogydoralogy Posts: 2 New Member
    doralogy wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

Should be fine but you can't upgrade graphics cards in Macs, not the dedicated AMDs in the 15" and not the integrated Intel in the 13".

Thanks for replying :) I don't know much about graphics cards but thanks for letting me know
  • maryjoy22maryjoy22 Posts: 1 New Member
    Hello!

Apologies if this was asked before. But I was wondering if I can play TS4 on MacBook.

MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2016)
    1.1 GHz Intel Core m3
    8 GB 1867 MHz LPDDR3
    Intel HD Graphics 515 1536 MB

Thank you!
    maryjoy22 wrote: »
    Hello!

Apologies if this was asked before. But I was wondering if I can play TS4 on MacBook.

1.1 GHz Intel Core m3
    8 GB 1867 MHz LPDDR3

Thank you!

Not really - http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15289501/#Comment_15289501
    apple-signature.png
  • sutivirus12sutivirus12 Posts: 110 Member
    maryjoy22 wrote: »
    Hello!

1.1 GHz Intel Core m3
    8 GB 1867 MHz LPDDR3

Thank you!

Not really - http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15289501/#Comment_15289501

@BluebellFlora is right. The MacBook will run the game on lowest settings, but it is not advised. This is because the laptop is fan-less, because the processor doesn't generate enough heat to require one. :)
    thesims4galleryhousessignature_zps7u25o7vp.png
  • Dzada11Dzada11 Posts: 1 New Member
    Hello , now I'm sorry I'm a pain, but I don't understand much computers, my daughter wants sims 4 for Xmas and she's got Mac book pro retina 13 inch mid 2014
    Processor 2.6 GHz intel core 5
    Memory 8gb 1600 MHz DDR3
    Intel iris 1536 MB
    Would it work , please?
    Dzada11 wrote: »
    Hello , now I'm sorry I'm a pain, but I don't understand much computers, my daughter wants sims 4 for Xmas and she's got Mac book pro retina 13 inch mid 2014
    Processor 2.6 GHz intel core 5
    Memory 8gb 1600 MHz DDR3
    Intel iris 1536 MB
    Would it work , please?

Yes it should work at medium settings for sure!

As your daughter might add more content (like expansion packs, game packs and stuff packs), it might start to slow down.

But for most parts, it will be fine. :)

Hope this helps!
  • amethehunamethehun Posts: 2 New Member
    Hi... Is there anyone using Sims 4 with the recent Mac Mini? I can not try it out as the trial/demo version does not exist as MAC download. My Mac Mini has 4 GB RAM, SSD drive, Intel 5000 graphics and i5 CPU with 1.4 Ghz.
    thanks
    amethehun wrote: »
    Hi... Is there anyone using Sims 4 with the recent Mac Mini? I can not try it out as the trial/demo version does not exist as MAC download. My Mac Mini has 4 GB RAM, SSD drive, Intel 5000 graphics and i5 CPU with 1.4 Ghz.
    thanks

I have a Macbook Air (with the exact same specs), and it runs The Sims 4 comfortably on medium (1366x768). If you run it under Windows (in BootCamp), the game might even reach High Settings at 1920x1080.

BUT as you add more content to the game through DLC (expansion packs, game packs and stuff packs), the game will start to slow down, as your computer will find it more difficult to cope it.

For most parts, it should be fine.
  • amethehunamethehun Posts: 2 New Member
    Thank you, sutivirus12. This is about what I expected.
    I will also check out your houses as we are just building our new one and it looks like I can use sim4 for this too.
    amethehun wrote: »
    Thank you, sutivirus12. This is about what I expected.
    I will also check out your houses as we are just building our new one and it looks like I can use sim4 for this too.

Thank you! :smiley:
  • xazac87xazac87 Posts: 4 New Member
    Hello,

When will you add AMD Radeon Pro 460 support to The Sims 4 for Mac?

I got a warning message about unsupported graphic card.

Thanks
    xazac87 wrote: »
    Hello,

When will you add AMD Radeon Pro 460 support to The Sims 4 for Mac?

I got a warning message about unsupported graphic card.

Thanks

That is all up to the Sims Team to update the game to support the new game.

How is the performance on it? I was looking to pick one up with the 460! :)

Well, it's not that good for now because it's not optimized and the game runs a bit slow.

Well, it's not that good for now because it's not optimized and the game runs a bit slow.

You could always try adding the card to the GraphicsCards.sgr file and see it it helps.

apple-signature.png

Fair enough. Also, what BluebellFlora said, it might be useful.
    You could always try adding the card to the GraphicsCards.sgr file and see it it helps.

Thanks for this suggestion, but where can I find this file on Mac?
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    Applications > Sims 4
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.

Thanks for this suggestion, but where can I find this file on Mac?

Applications > Sims 4 > Right Click and Click on Show all Contents > Contents :)
    @xazac87

You'll also need to edit the GraphicsRules.sgr file. I've no idea what you'll have to put though. If I get some time later I'll have a look.
    apple-signature.png
  • dizzydee_kdizzydee_k Posts: 475 Member
    Granddaughter is getting new iMac for Christmas:

21"
    2.8GHz quad‑core Intel Core i5 (Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz)
    1TB Fusion Drive
    Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200
    16GB of 1867MHz LPDDR3 onboard memory

She hopes to play Sims 4 + GP, SP and all the EPs. Can she?