Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

- Can my Mac run The Sims 4? Answers can be found here -

Comments

• Options
    MurphgirlsMurphgirls Posts: 1 New Member
    I was wondering if I would be able to run TS4 on my mac....

Apple iMac OS X 10.6.8

2 GHz Intel Core Duo

2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

thats all i could find out about my mac.... if you need more info i could try to find some more....
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Murphgirls wrote: »
    I was wondering if I would be able to run TS4 on my mac....

Apple iMac OS X 10.6.8

2 GHz Intel Core Duo

2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

thats all i could find out about my mac.... if you need more info i could try to find some more....

Sorry but no. The minimum requirements are:

- OS X 10.7.5 Lion
    - Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz Processor or better
    - 4GB RAM
    - NVIDIA GeForce 320M, 9600M, 9400M,ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro or better. Video RAM of 256MB or better.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    SamtapletSamtaplet Posts: 151 Member
    @BluebellFlora I was wondering if i could run the sims 4 even in low quality?
    0QOYAXx.png
    Origin Id: ActuallySammy
  • Options
    Samtaplet wrote: »
    @BluebellFlora I was wondering if i could run the sims 4 even in low quality?
    0QOYAXx.png

You should be able to but yes, probably on low setting to cut down on lag, especially if you have a lot of extra add on packs.

apple-signature.png
  • Options
    haikudasaihaikudasai Posts: 24 New Member
    @BluebellFlora hi!

I'm currently in the market for a new MacBook Pro. I'm looking at the 15" brand new one

2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
    Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz
    16GB 1600MHz memory
    256GB PCIe-based flash storage1
    Intel Iris Pro Graphics

Will I be able to run the game well on this? The pros still come with fans do they not?

Thanks for any help!
  • Options
    haikudasai wrote: »
    @BluebellFlora hi!

I'm currently in the market for a new MacBook Pro. I'm looking at the 15" brand new one

Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz
    16GB 1600MHz memory
    Intel Iris Pro Graphics

Will I be able to run the game well on this? The pros still come with fans do they not?

Thanks for any help!

It's integrated graphics, the dedicated in the higher spec. 15" would be better but yes, you will. The quad core i7 will help. And yes, the 15" has dual fans on the logic board. The 13" has one fan and the MacBook doesn't have one.

apple-signature.png
  • Options
    @BluebellFlora hi!

Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz
    16GB 1600MHz memory
    Intel Iris Pro Graphics

Thanks for any help!

It's integrated graphics, the dedicated in the higher spec. 15" would be better but yes, you will. The quad core i7 will help. And yes, the 15" has dual fans on the logic board. The 13" has one fan and the MacBook doesn't have one.

Sorry to ask a possibly silly question but I have seen you say that entry level 15" might not be able to withstand future packs and expansions without out possible lag. Is that due to running on higher graphic quality and obviously a lot of info? Is the Intel iris pro just not as powerful as the cards in older macs?

Obviously it's a lot of money being thrown around and it comes down to me but I want to make sure I get the best for what I can afford and will be able to play with ease.

Thanks BluebellFlora
  • Options
    Sorry to ask a possibly silly question but I have seen you say that entry level 15" might not be able to withstand future packs and expansions without out possible lag. Is that due to running on higher graphic quality and obviously a lot of info? Is the Intel iris pro just not as powerful as the cards in older macs?

The Intel Iris is an integrated graphics chipset which is never as powerful or as capable as the dedicated (discrete) NVIDIA or AMD graphics cards in the higher spec. 15" MacBook Pro and 27" iMacs. Over time, as you add more packs to your game, and possibly CC, the game will start to lag as it struggles to keep up with the graphics demands. You may need to lower your graphics settings to keep the gameplay smooth. You have the benefit of the quad core i7 though which is a lot more powerful than the dual core processors in the 13" MBPs
    Obviously it's a lot of money being thrown around and it comes down to me but I want to make sure I get the best for what I can afford and will be able to play with ease.

Yes, it is a lot of money but you are future proofing yourself against the higher demands that the game will place on your machine, plus future games you may like to add. Personally I always buy the highest spec. 15" and expect at least 4/5 years gaming on high settings because of the dedicated GPUs. My 2011 and 2012 15" MacBook Pros are playing with all settings on high and no lag. But it is down to affordability at the end of the day. My 9 year old iMac can even play well but the graphics are on the lowest setting and look pretty awful :)

BTW, if you work or study in an education establishment then you should be eligible for the education discount which is around 15% on a 15" MBP.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    Thank you @BluebellFlora ! I threw caution, and any meal that isn't ramen lol, to the wind and opted for the higher spec 15" with the AMD. With a student discount it helped balance my position on this. I have been happily playing since last night and I can say it's a gorgeous game now. I'm still figuring out what settings I can comfortably work with but as of now it's all high and I love it. Thanks again!
  • Options
    No worries - enjoy!
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    ZarzisanZarzisan Posts: 1 New Member
    Hello!
    I was wondering if I could run the sims on my iMac:

OS X Yosemite (iMac 21.5-inch, late 2013)
    Version 10.10.5
    2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
    8GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

I'm not great with computers so I'd be delighted if you could help, thank you! :)
  • Options
    oopsdaiesoopsdaies Posts: 37 Member
    I just wanted to know if these specs would work with the Get Together expansion pack:

IMac 20-inch, Early 2009

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9400 256 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Processor: 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

I'm not so sure about the memory though, but I know most of them meet the requirements.
  • Options
    KiwiKellyKiwiKelly Posts: 1 New Member
    I'm not so good at identifying specs but my computer seems to be able to handle Sims 4, according to what I read here.
    Could you please tell me, though; should I buy the game and play it in low resolution?
    Or will it be fine if I pick the normal standards?
    Here's what I have:

iMac (21,5 inch, late 2015)
    Processor 1,6 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
    Graphics Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB

Thanks in advance! :smile:
  • Options
    yariho96yariho96 Posts: 1 New Member
    Hello, my new MacBook Air (13", early 2015) is having problems with my old TS3, so I was wondering if TS4 would be better since it seems more compatible to OS X. I'm wondering if the graphics would be alright though...

Here are my specs, could someone tell me if TS4 would run correctly?

OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.6
    Processor 2.2GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB

I'm very bad with computers, so thank you in advance for your help :)
  • Options
    XannieXXannieX Posts: 2 New Member
    Hi, its almost my birthday and im trying to look for a macbook that may be able to run ts4 and i was wondering if the late 2009 macbook MC207LL/A, A1342 would be able to run ts4.

Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
    RAM Size:8 GB
    Hard Drive Size:1 TB
    Operating System:MAC OS
    Screen Size:13.30 inches
  • Options
    XannieX wrote: »
    Hi, its almost my birthday and im trying to look for a macbook that may be able to run ts4 and i was wondering if the late 2009 macbook MC207LL/A, A1342 would be able to run ts4.

Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
    RAM Size:8 GB
    Hard Drive Size:1 TB
    Operating System:MAC OS
    Screen Size:13.30 inches

No, it's below minimum system requirements:

Minimum OS - Mac OS X Lion (10.7.5) (what version of macOS is it running?)
    CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz or better (yours is 2.26 Ghz)
    RAM - At least 4Gb RAM
    Hard Drive - At least 10Gb of free space with at least 1Gb additional space for custom content
    Video - NVIDIA GeForce 320M, 9600M, 9400M,ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro or better. Video RAM of 256MB or better (you have the NVIDIA 9400M)
    Input - Keyboard and Mouse
    Online Requirements: Internet Connection required for product activation

Do you have a link to that MacBook? But honestly, that Mac would be great for some web surfing, emailing, essay writing but that's about it. It's 7 years old and is very outdated. It's classed as vintage now so Apple provide no support for it.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    MrBrightersideMrBrighterside Posts: 6 New Member
    Hi, I was wondering if my mac is able to run TS4, though I'm worried it can't as it's a bit old.

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2009)

Processor 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9400 256 MB
  • Options
    Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    What is your current version of the Mac OS?
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • Options
    What is your current version of the Mac OS?

The latest, macOS Sierra.

• Options
    I'm not really sure if my iMac is able to run it. I think it can because it appears I do meet the requirements, however I don't know if my NVIDIA GeForce 9400M does. I've read in places that the 9400M is supported, but other places say that it isn't and that a 9600M is required.
  • Options
    I'm not really sure if my iMac is able to run it. I think it can because it appears I do meet the requirements, however I don't know if my NVIDIA GeForce 9400M does. I've read in places that the 9400M is supported, but other places say that it isn't and that a 9600M is required.

It wasn't initially supported but EA added it into the minimum requirements at a later date. However, it is right at the bottom end so you will probably have to have your graphics settings on the lowest possible. Installing more RAM wouldn't be a bad idea either and is really easy on your model Mac.

apple-signature.png
  • Options
    It wasn't initially supported but EA added it into the minimum requirements at a later date. However, it is right at the bottom end so you will probably have to have your graphics settings on the lowest possible. Installing more RAM wouldn't be a bad idea either and is really easy on your model Mac.

Thank you! You're very helpful! It's good to know that my iMac meets the requirements, though it's kinda sad knowing only my processor is above the standards and everything else is the minimum, haha.
  • Options
    navyeynavyey Posts: 1 New Member
    I was wondering if I would be able to run TS4 on my Macbook..

512GB PCIe-based onboard flash storage
    1.2GHz dual-core Intel Core m5 processor Turbo Boost up to 2.7GHz
    8GB memory
    Intel HD Graphics 515

Thank you so much.
  • Options
    navyey wrote: »
    I was wondering if I would be able to run TS4 on my Macbook..

512GB PCIe-based onboard flash storage
    1.2GHz dual-core Intel Core m5 processor Turbo Boost up to 2.7GHz
    8GB memory
    Intel HD Graphics 515

Thank you so much.

Not advisable as the MacBooks are very underpowered, have no fan to cool them down (which means that it will throttle the power it provides to the game so it doesn't overheat), and may result in a premature death for your Mac.

MacBooks are great, but not for gaming.

apple-signature.png
  • Options
    @BluebellFlora
    I just want to say, I bought TS4 after you gave your advice and I have to say it great. The game had a popup saying that my graphics card wasn't supported and it may have issues, but I have had none so far and it's running way smoother than TS3 ever did.