Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Marrying a University Local

I have had sims in the past romance and marry Eddy Mullis without issue, but I recently had a sim romance and marry Jeffrey Dean and I'm having problems. He ages properly and nothing goes wrong in the home world. I've gone travelling with my sim, Jeffrey and their two sons and nothing has happened, but the minute I tried to send the boys to university, the game goes into an endless loading phase and never loads the campus. I tried it three times and waited for as long as 20 minutes before I admitted that there was clearly an issue sending these boys to University. Has anyoen else had an issue sending the progeny of university locals to university? Again, with Eddy Mullis I didn't have this problem, but moving Jeffrey Dean away from university seems to have 'broken' the university world. Could anyone else let me know if they've had similar problems?
Screenshot-56.jpg[/img]
Crowley Family Legacy Patriarch - Jonah Crowley

Comments

• cercatcercat Posts: 69 Member
    @MiyuEmi
    I did have Jeffrey Dean marry one of my sims. I don't remember if I played any of his children long enough to go to university, but at least one of the siblings of my sim did go to university after the wedding & graduate. I continued the game playing the second sim through their children & grandchildren. Due to a problem with my computer system, I'm just now reloading my games & store items. I probably no longer have access to that game to check further as I don't think I had a backup of it.
    I have had my sims marry several of the university locals in the past in other games, and don't remember any problems with progeny going to university.
  • MiyuEmiMiyuEmi Posts: 2,404 Member
    @cercat: Yeah, I've had my sim marry other university students and I've not had a problem with any of them, sent their kids to uni etc, but with Jeffrey, the univrsity world doesn't seem to want to load. I've kind of set this family aside for the moment now as being unable to send them to university was a real hitch in my plans for that family's second gen!
    Screenshot-56.jpg[/img]
  • cercatcercat Posts: 69 Member
    If you don't routinely delete your caches, you might try doing that. If your up for mods, I think there are some that might be of help. If you don't want to use mods, then you could try moving the family to another town.
    If this doesn't help, you might try searching for other threads about traveling problems, possible under the World Adventures section. There may be similar problems that someone has found a work-around for.
    I use Overwatch and don't really have an interest in others as Overwatch pretty much takes care of the worst issues. I think I'm just going to have to write this up to the game bugging out on me as it's not a travelling issue, just a university issue. I've been able to take them to Shang Simla and...the French one (can't think of the name!). Shame, but it's the first time it's happened so hopefully it's the last.
    Screenshot-56.jpg[/img]
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    The NRaas Traveler and ErrorTrap mods help smooth glitches like that out.

But there is something you can do without more mods that might help salvage future Uni experiences within that one game. On a copy of the saved game (in case this doesn't work or messes anything up more), delete the entire SimsUniversity nhd file that would be in your saved game folder alongside the current homeworld and the others your sim has visited. Note that any other sims yours have met in Uni in the past will no longer exist.

The next time you travel a sim to Uni World, a fresh nhd file will be generated. It will contain the same sims that Uni did the very first time you landed there -- those sims should all be deleted before the Sunday 12 noon Meet & Greet if you don't want this next generation to be around different versions of the same sims their parents knew. The deletion should include the (now younger) version of Jeffrey Dean who will likely be there again.

The game should generate new students to take up all or at least many of the empty slots. If it doesn't, and you aren't interested in exploring NRaas StoryProgression, you could then decide whether to play forward with your sims being the only students and no professors or abandon this experiment and go back to your originally saved game where you left off.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    @Igazor I've had NRaas Story Progression before and while I really liked it, the introduction of the castes just made it too difficult to set up to my preferences and so it became an albatross. Unfortunately I'll likely abandon playing with this family, as I'm not too attached to them, though it's disappointing, I'll move onto a new family and just not romance anyone at university and bring them home to marry them.
    Screenshot-56.jpg[/img]
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Sorry to hear that (I think). Anyway, SP wasn't an integral part of the solution I proposed. In that case it was really a band-aid just in case an empty Uni World failed to repopulate itself. Castes wouldn't even have been necessary to touch.

Several of my sims have met the loves of their lives at Uni, brought them home, and are now busy living happily ever after. Or made some really good friends and have stayed in touch long after I moved the friends to other worlds, their kids now play with each other, etc. A shame that didn't quite work in this case.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    @igazor I know as I've married a uni student a couple of times now. For some reason this time it just didn't work for me. I'm sure I'll eventually forget I said I wouldn't do it again and marry another one! Hopefully it works out better when that time comes.
    Screenshot-56.jpg[/img]