Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is some of the stuff on the exchange kind of weird - or is there a valid point to it?

I'm not much of an Exchange type of person and don't use CC from other sites etc - so, I might be missing the point here.

Anyway, I notice that the exchange is full of clothing items that are basically re-coloured items of existing items. I don't get it - how does that work?

For example:
In your game you could have a T-shirt which is plain black, white, red and blue - ie The Sims Studio give you the thing in 4 base colours.

Someone then re-colours the T-Shirt green and then uploads it to the exchange.

What's the point of that - ie, if you want a green version of a T-shirt, shorts, skirt, etc, why not colour it in green yourself?

Why would you specifically download a green, etc version of an item that you already have, rather than simply re-colour it - is there a point to this? I would have thought people are adding overheads to the game by downloading stuff into the game which already exists in the game and can easily be modified.

There just seems to be a lot of things on the exchange that are duplicates of what you have in-game, but they are basically just re-coloured.

I don't get it.

I wouldn't even have imagined that someone would take, for example, a plain white T-shirt and then colour it green, then think "I know, I'll upload that to The Exchange".

Comments

• Options
    SemaviLadySemaviLady Posts: 526 Member
    edited January 2015
    Okay, I'll bite. :)

I also have little interest in recolors but sometimes someone has an item that has been recolored rather nicely. Now for example, I don't know this person, and I'm not really familiar with the outfit, but if you go to look at the actual store item, the color is rather simple.

Store
    Thumbnail_225x225.png

But this one (ignore the extra picture of suggested leg and headwear) that has been recolored seems to use a two tone for the main body of the outfit, and some pleasing shades that makes the outfit much more expensive looking.
    original.jpg

I wonder if the actual item is designed to support two colors on the main body or did this person have a very nice two tone pattern that worked with the outfit? I find it pleasing enough that I might download it just to deconstruct it and make one of my ownl

Granted there are a lot of very simple recolors that probably do not draw a lot of double takes, but there are some outfits and items that look much more elegant or exciting when they are recolored, so it can be an easter egg hunt, or you may find yourself drawn to a particular artist.

Of course, there are some folk that are just learning the ropes and uploading a few things just for the jell of it.

I am more likely to download patterns. worlds and some well built lots. I might download a sim that actually looks like someone I want to put into my game (Severus Snape, Capt. Jack Sparrow, Tauriel from the P. Jackson version of Hobbit, and so on) I can't be bothered with building a world (so far) or building amazing lots that look like they come from out of Harry Potter's world, so I do tend to lean toward objects that have a lot more creativity.

So I do agree with you but the exchange is for sharing, and many of us might have more eclectic tastes. Someone else might just be storing their own idea of a baseball cap or a t-shirt.

(edited to add the actual item link to this dress http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=4854930)
    Cheerleader_by_CookiemagiK.gifI've owned the TS3 Store since Feb 2015-thanks to the help of many other simmers
    ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ ☆★☆ My Page ☆★☆-♞- TS3❣
  • Options
    CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    edited January 2015
    Dang I actually own but do not use that outfit but never realized how cute it goes with different colors and that hair from the Sims 3 store. :o TY @Semavilady
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • Options
    SemaviLadySemaviLady Posts: 526 Member
    @CravenLestat - great to hear from you. Your modeling vid I saw today is just awesome. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
    Cheerleader_by_CookiemagiK.gifI've owned the TS3 Store since Feb 2015-thanks to the help of many other simmers
    ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ ☆★☆ My Page ☆★☆-♞- TS3❣
  • Options
    lanlynlanlyn Posts: 5,019 Member
    edited January 2015
    SemaviLady wrote: »
    Now for example, I don't know this person, and I'm not really familiar with the outfit, but if you go to look at the actual store item, the color is rather simple.

Store
    Thumbnail_225x225.png

But this one (ignore the extra picture of suggested leg and headwear) that has been recolored seems to use a two tone for the main body of the outfit, and some pleasing shades that makes the outfit much more expensive looking.
    original.jpg

I wonder if the actual item is designed to support two colors on the main body or did this person have a very nice two tone pattern that worked with the outfit? I find it pleasing enough that I might download it just to deconstruct it and make one of my ownl
    The CC item actually looks like a new pattern, not just a recolor. The striped dress has a cabled sweater texture while the store dress doesn't...from what I can tell anyway. You sure picked a pretty redo one way or the other. Very nicely done, isn't it?