Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

HOLLAND FAMILY CHALLENGE STORY! *UPDATED 9/19*

emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,110 Member
Hello there. :)

***For information and recent updates on this happy, yet drama filled, story please click on Page 26 and read from there. Thanks. :) ***
52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
Post edited by emorrill on

Comments

• emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,110 Member
    edited May 2017
    EDIT TO ADD:
    ****PLEASE NOTE THAT I HAVE MOVED THIS STORY OVER TO MY BLOG WITH REVISIONS AND HAVE MADE IT TONS BETTER! :smiley: ****
    That's where you'll want to go to enjoy it fully!
    Read it all here :-)

Of course you can continue reading here on this thread and make comments, but the story won't be as great as it is now on my blog. Enjoy either way! Thanks for reading! <3

If you don't feel like following the link (in the previous post), here is the original story (with the challenge details):

The Single Dad With 5 Kids Challenge
    *First you create a Father (not one with the "dislikes children" trait. It's not one of THOSE challenges). And create 5 kids: at least 2 teens, one kid and a toddler. The last one can be whatever you want. For example: I did 2 teens, 2 children and 1 toddler.
    To make things easier for me, I created a wife and was going to immediately kill her off right at the beginning of the game. Sounds terrible I know, but it would be fun to have her ghost roaming around their home during the story. ;)
    Second: You then move them into an empty lot or a 4 bedroom home (you CAN use Familyfunds to build them a NEW home or update the one you move them into). After that, use the familyfunds cheat again to have only 2,000 in the family bank account. After the funeral expenses the bank account got pretty dried up...
    Third: The father has to stay home and raise all 5 kids to adulthood OR until you get your first grandchild.

RULES
    Your father can only have a part-time job or he can be self employed
    Kids can be home schooled, but can't attend boarding school
    Teens can't have jobs! They need to focus on school
    NO CHEATS! (Except for Familyfunds in the very beginning)
    This challenge is to be set on the Normal Lifespan

So there's the challenge and the rules. I created my family using my favorite sim of all time to be the Father: Michael Holland. :) Glad I saved him to the Sim Bin. Here is his beginning story:
    (Which I wrote. ;) This didn't come with the challenge. It's kind of long but bear with me).

"When Michael Holland met Bronwyn Innaway as a young adult, he was so struck by her beauty that even though he was usually shy with approaching girls, he just HAD to approach her and introduce himself! Little did he know that Bronwyn thought he was pretty cute too, perhaps a little nerdy looking but nonetheless cute and she was actually wondering if he would approach her first.

The two hit it off quickly...which was such a surprise to them both! They never clicked with anyone else this way before. Soon they began to spend more and more time together and were falling in love. During this time, however, Michael learned that while Bronwyn seemed perfect in every way to him...she had an eating disorder that she had been struggling with since her teenage years. Michael always tried to find ways to help her with it and even encouraged her to get some help, which she did. It really seemed to help and her health was beginning to look good. She couldn't thank Michael enough for helping to encourage her.

In no time at all they were married and moved to Twinbrook into a small trailer where they started to begin their new life together. Because of Bronwyn's health and because it had kind of been a dream of his, Michael went to medical school in hopes of becoming a renowned doctor. Helping others is what he's always enjoyed. It was throughout medical school that they raised their first 3 children: Bailey, Derrick and Molly. Through those 8 years Bronwyn still struggled with her anorexia. It seemed that medications and therapy weren't working the way they used to, but she and Michael refused to give up hope and with a lot of help and support from friends and family they were able to keep moving forward with Bronwyn's health in an ok state. After graduating from Med school and entering into his own practice (and buying his family a new home ;) ) Bronwyn shared the news to Michael that she was pregnant again. While he was excited, he was also nervous how the pregnancy would go with her health. Monitoring her carefully, and Bronwyn doing her best to stay nourished so the baby could grow strong, she delivered Andrea a month early.

4 years later with Bronwyn's health going up and down, she surprisingly got pregnant again...a month before she and Michael decided that maybe it would be best to get her tubes tied because of her poor health and how high risk her last pregnancy was. Abortion was out of the question...so both of them were determined to BEAT her eating disorder for the life of their last child! Bronwyn got on a different pregnancy safe antidepressant, went to group psychotherapy, Nutritional counseling and had her health closely monitored as usual by her husband and her OB. For the first time in a while things were really looking up for her, she gained weight to a healthy weight and the baby was thriving. Her, Michael and the kids were very hopeful of their mom's condition.

Their son, Tristan, was born and life was full of excitement. A month after his birth, Bronwyn realized that her more serious than usual baby blues were not going away. She expressed to Michael that she worried she had postpartum depression. After watching her inability to be able to do things lately, he believed her...and began to start feeling depressed himself. What ELSE could go wrong with the love of his life?? This was not what SHE or the rest of their family needed! Bronwyn equally felt the same way, which made her fall even further into her dark pit of depression. She couldn't eat anymore...this time it was more than just the anorexia. While trying to get help and get on an increased dose of meds....nothing was helping poor Bronwyn anymore...

A month after Tristan's 2nd birthday, Michael woke up to go to work one morning and found that his dear sweet love, Bronwyn, had passed away in her sleep. In an instant, his world was turned upside down and his heart broken....the same thing happened with the children. For a long time Michael couldn't work...he had to see a therapist regularly and the kids were falling back in school. Family members helped when they could and after a year of misery, Michael finally felt he was able to work again. But...the demands of the job would not work with him having to take care of his family alone. With a heavy heart, he quit his practice and stayed home to raise the kids for a time until he found a part time job. Money was SO tight and this part-time job was a HUGE decrease in pay. Michael wondered how their family would survive? But he HAD to do what he could. He had to give it his all. And this is where his new life story begins.

What do you think? :)

I'm sure some of you have figured this out, but Bronwyn died of starvation. :(
    (Easiest way to cause a death in your sims story imo. With testingcheatsenabled true on you just slide their hunger bar down to the very bottom).
    I know, it's so sad. :( But it helped me come up with a good story for my Father sim and his family. Just sayin'....

Oh and I just want to add that being a depression sufferer myself (after having my child) Mental Illness is a very REAL medical condition and should be treated the same as someone with a chronic physical illness. I just want to raise awareness to that, not cause an argument.

Anyway, as I continue playing I will record the rest of the story on here with pictures. Like I said above, if you want to see some of the first pics that went along with this story, view the thread with the link above. I don't want to try to post all those pics again. :p

Enjoy! And please follow this thread! :blush:
  • Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    I'm so sorry for this father burdened with five children in the midst of his grief. I've had sims (the entire Landgrabb family for instance) die of starvation before and it's never easy on the survivors (actually the only survivor of the Landgrabb tragedy was the new, hot, young babysitter who inherited everything and she seemed to take it pretty well). Are there any aid agencies in his area that he can turn to for assistance? LOL
    I'm so sorry for this father burdened with five children in the midst of his grief. I've had sims (the entire Landgrabb family for instance) die of starvation before and it's never easy on the survivors (actually the only survivor of the Landgrabb tragedy was the new, hot, young babysitter who inherited everything and she seemed to take it pretty well). Are there any aid agencies in his area that he can turn to for assistance? LOL

^^I'm sure they had taken advantage of a few. ;)
    (In a good way. Lol!)
    Gonna tag some people here who have been following my story :)
    @Emma_Valentine, @jillbg, @tadolson, @Igazor, @SweetieKaye, @‌

Thanks for your help, interest and support. :) Hope you enjoy this new story!

Emily :)
    Hey! It cut off you @Lokisimsies
    edited April 2017
    Alright, let's meet everyone in the family. :)

Meet Michael Holland. He is Good, Handy, has a Good sense of Humor, Friendly and Charismatic. He is basically the star of the story.
    MeetMichaelHolland_zps94625f37.jpg

Now on to his kids:

Meet Bailey Holland
    BaileyHolland_zps712c67bd.jpg

She is a Hopeless Romantic, A Great Kisser, Handy and Neat. She's the one always cleaning up after everyone else. She's genuinely a good girl, but likes to get into trouble from time to time and LOVES meeting and hanging out with boys!

Meet Derrick Holland
    DerrickHolland_zpsbbd3ba40.jpg

He is Brave and a Daredevil. He also Loves the Outdoors and is quite the Heavy Sleeper. Derrick doesn't mind helping around the house, but mostly he just likes to play EXTREME computer games and stream daring videos on the Internet.
    (I think he is the funniest looking out of all the kids...But I dunno. Do any of you think he's cute? ;) )

Meet Molly Holland
    MollyHolland_zps3eaf8c9c.jpg

She is Family Oriented, Easily Impressed and Lucky. Her wish is to be a great mom like hers was, even despite her mental illnesses. She loves playing with her sister Andrea and likes to play mommy to her younger brother Tristan.

Meet Andrea (pronounced: Ann-dree-uh, like my real sister's name ;) ) Holland
    AndreaHolland_zpsa95db14a.jpg

She is a Loner and loves solitude. However she is also a Genius and Artistic. She has recently discovered that she loves painting and hopes to make a career out of it one day.

And Finally, meet Tristan Holland
    TristanHolland_zpscdd06988.jpg

(Sorry it's hard to see him in the pic, I couldn't zoom in any further)
    A happy and rambunctious little toddler who is Excitable and Friendly. He just became a "Big Boy" by learning to walk and go to the bathroom on the potty!! ;) He adds joy to the home when there is sadness, anger or chaos.

So that is the fam! More to the story to come! :)
    edited May 2017
    What happened in the story today:

Well, with only 2,000 simoleons in the bank, the bills came in at a bad time and came to a total of 1,100. That didn't leave Michael with much left for groceries, clothing and other necessities so he decided to get a part-time job at the Bookstore. It seemed like a fitting one since he LOVES books and learning. It's not his amazing medical job but...he's gotta do what he's gotta do. He hopes that by working hard his work will be noticed and he will receive a raise because coming home with just 90 simoleons a day is pathetic when he was coming home with almost a 1000 every day before....

Each and every day for a month, Michael and the children constantly cried and mourned for their lost wife and Mom.
    MourningdeathofBronwyn_zps9826ce45.jpg
    It didn't seem like life was ever going to get better...
    Granted the kids were doing better in school and meeting more friends, but it was the hardest for Michael to move on.

5 months later he STILL hadn't earned a raise and when the bills came in one time, Michael had to sell the family trampoline and water slide just to make ends meet. They weren't really needed...

One day a few hours before work, Michael decided to go to the park to relax and get some fresh air. He was finally starting to feel like he could move on with his life, even though the pain of missing his dear Bronwyn would always be present in his heart. He noticed a young woman sitting on the park bench, alone looking thoughtful. It almost seemed to Michael like she had the weight of the world on her shoulders as well. And after living in Twinbrook for 17 years now...he had never met her. Perhaps she just moved to town. Feeling great compassion towards her, he walked over and asked if she was ok. If there was anything he could do for her.

"No," she replied, "But thank you." Then she stood up and began to leave.
    "WAIT!" Michael cried out. He wasn't sure why he did that...?

The woman turned and looked at him inquisitively. Embarrassed Michael approached her and said, "Forgive me. I didn't mean to stop you like that. I don't even know you."

The woman smiled, "It's ok. What was it you wanted to talk to me about?"
    "Are you heading off somewhere?"
    "Not really, but I can wait for a few minutes"

Michael smiled. "Well," he began, "I used to have a medical practice here and I have met SO many people in town, but...I've never seen you before. I imagine you just moved to town?"

Used to have a medical practice huh? The woman thought. What did he do, lose his license? But she decided to give him the benefit of the doubt. Besides, he didn't LOOK like THAT kind of doctor. ;) He actually...looked kind of cute.

"Yes," she responded, "I moved here with my brother and a friend about 2 months ago. It's a long story."
    "I see," Michael said. Then he held out his hand, "My name is Michael Holland. And you are?"

"Jenni," The woman answered, "Jenni Jones-Brown."
    "Nice to meet you."
    "You as well."
    "Would you mind if I asked how you are enjoying Twinbrook?"

The conversation went on for a while and soon they were joking about a few things.
    FirstmetJenniJones-Brown_zps216b9d83.jpg

When Jenni finally had to go, and of course Michael needed to go to work, he really felt quite refreshed speaking to her. He hoped to see her again and develop a new friendship. They really seemed to hit it off, just like he and Bronwyn did many years before.

(I would just like to add that it wasn't long after this that Michael received a phone call for the "Oh My Ghost" opportunity, which gives Sims a chance to bring the remains of their loved one to the science facility to basically have them resurrected. I wanted him to take that opportunity SOOOOO badly but....gotta remember the challenge here. :( I don't even think I can have him get married again since he is supposed to be a single dad raising all of his kids to adulthood...Anyway, back to the story)

I'm just going to talk about what happened next.
    It was kind of frustrating but they had 3 toilets in that house get clogged LITERALLY one after the other!! Frustrating! Then other times after that more and more things would break. Geez! Gotta love it, right? ;)

Bailey ended up meeting Shark Racket (weird name) at school. Here is what he looks like:
    MeetSharkRacket_zpscebead35.jpg
    He seems to get along well with Derrick, but you can tell that Michael doesn't necessarily approve of his daughter's flirting with a kid like him
    BaileyandSharkFlirting_zpscd07512b.jpg

We'll say after a year of working part time at the bookstore, Michael FINALLY got a raise! With a 408 simoleon bonus! He now makes 54 simoleons an hour so he's bringing in 162 a day. Not bad...a little better than before. I have been having him grab rocks, gems, meteorites and butterflies to sell and help make more money. Plus doing handiness jobs for others around town. :)

Bailey woke up in a nasty mood swing one morning and she ended up skipping school, going to the graveyard and exploring the catacombs, coming home only to be scolded by her father (rightly so) and in anger she decided to throw eggs at the neighbors house. At this point the cops got involved and Michael got REALLY upset! He grounded Bailey to the house for the weekend.

Not much has happened with the other kids. They have just been making friends and completing opportunities.

I had Mike and Jenni go on a date together and they soon fell in love and are now going steady. <3

One night he asked her to stay the night and one of them (not sure which one... wink wink ;) ) thought it would be kinda fun to fool around in the treehouse...
    "I've never done that before, have you?"
    "No!"
    "So do you wanna try it?"
    "Sure!"
    Lol! :p

They ended up having some "Risky Woohoo" in there...(Only they don't know it was risky...I do! Lol! ;) )

So what do you all think? Do you think Jenni is pregnant or not?

Stay tuned for more of the story.
    Goodnight!

edited January 2015
    *Bump* ;)

I'm playing more of the story tonight :)
  • ACB44ACB44 Posts: 140 Member
    Looking forward to your addition!! The rebel high school relationship is definitely a classicly good story and I'm looking forward to how you add your own twist.... also lookino forward to how Michael responds to this blooming love!
    edited May 2017
    Continuing the story:

Saturday morning started out like any other Saturday for Michael Holland's family: Doing chores. And man were they needing to be done!
    (I love how these random gems and books show up in my Sims inventory. ;) )
    Michael received a call later that morning from his sweetheart, Jenni, inviting him to her house party. "I wouldn't miss it for the world!" He said to her. Then he found Bailey and Derrick and told them he would be going out for the night and needed them to be GOOD babysitters this time and not cause a ruckus like before...

Before I continue, here is the back story on Michael's girlfriend Jenni Jones-Brown: I had to play her family for a tiny bit #1 to put a dang baby crib in their home! and #2 to see who these people were she was living with, why there was a baby and what their story was. Some of this information Mike doesn't know yet...
    Jenni still lives with her divorced parents. Her mother: Renee Williams-Brown, doesn't she look scary?

ReneeWilliams-BrownJennisMom_zpsa2b442eb.jpg

And her father: Lenny Smith-Jones:
    LennySmith-JonesJennisDad_zps5e80afd1.jpg

The toddler is named Sue and she...is Jenni's child. See, Jenni had become pregnant as a teenager and the father was never really around, so she raised her alone with help from her parents...sadly while their marriage was falling apart.
    That is Jenni's story. Created by Maxis.

Ok, now back to mine. :)

When the time came to attend Jenni's party, Michael looked forward to it with excitement. He was hoping to finally get to meet her brother she mentioned about when they first met and her friends. When he arrived, he was immediately greeted by Jenni at her front door. They kissed and then Michael said, "Well, that was a nice welcome." ;)
    Jenni smiled. "I missed you today," she said, but then her smile disappeared, "There's...something, actually a COUPLE of things...that I need to tell you."
    "Umm," Michael wondered, "Ok." Then Jenni took his hand and led him over to the large deck area. They sat down on a rather comfortable outdoor sofa and Jenni gripped his hands tight, as she looked down at them and tried to figure out how to tell him what she's been keeping secret for so long.
    "Michael," she began, "When we first met in the park, I...I wasn't completely honest with you about my life."
    Michael began to worry, but tried to keep a straight face.
    "You know how I told you that I moved here with my Brother and a friend?"
    "Yes?"
    "Well...I didn't. I don't have a brother...I am an only child. I've lived here in Twinbrook all my life with my parents and...this is their home and I still live here."
    Michael wondered. "Then, if you've been here your whole life, how is it that I never met you? I swear I had met EVERYONE in town during my medical practice."
    "You may have," Jenni answered, "But...my parents never really believed in modern medicine. They always took me to the holistic doctor here and treated mild things with essential oils. But, that's a different story," she shoved that topic away and continued, "I wasn't always the most obedient child and I was a little rebellious and...did things during my teen years that I regret."
    Michael looked at her lovingly and raising her chin he said, "It's ok. I think we all have." He chuckled.
    "No," Jenni said with teary eyes, "I don't know if you will think it's ok..."
    Michael slowly lowered his fingers from her chin and asked curiously, "Why not?"
    Jenni lowered her head again and felt her heart racing, like it was going to pop out of her chest! She didn't want to lose this wonderful man who had come into her broken life because of what she was about to reveal. Wiping away her tears she answered, still with her head lowered, "Because I got pregnant as a teenager."
    Michael paused. Ok...I wasn't quite expecting that, he thought, But hey, there are worse things.
    Jenni then looked up and pointed toward a window that looked into her home, where Mike could see a man carrying a baby. "You see that little girl there?" she asked Michael, "That is my daughter, Sue. And that is my father holding her."
    Wow. Michael thought. The child was cute and beautiful, just like her mother. This was a lot to take in, but really the only thing that could come out of Michael's mouth were, "How could you not introduce your child to me? I love children!" He cracked a smile to let her know he wasn't angry. And truthfully, he wasn't. He loved her too much to be angry. And this really wasn't something to be angry about. He looked at it as she cared for him enough to come to him and explain everything before he walked right into the party and started finding out about the truth from others! That would have been awkward and hurtful. He admired her for what she was doing.
    "I'm sorry," was all Jenni could say.
    Michael then gave her a hug and kissed the top of her head. "It's alright...really. I'm ok with it. Thank you for telling me."
    Then they kissed each other tenderly and then Michael stood up, pulling her up with him and said, "Now, please introduce me to your beautiful baby girl."
    Jenni smiled big and led him into the home. She was SO happy to FINALLY introduce her parents and child to the most wonderful man she has ever met! Her parents were equally pleased to meet him, as well as looking forward to getting to know him better. But for a few minutes there, Michael just wanted to play with little Sue:
    hilariousplaypic_zpsfe47761f.jpg

I think this is the most hilarious picture!! :D He is about to attack her with the claw and she looks so...frightened! Lol!
    But then she realizes that he is just playing. ;)
    MichaellovesSue_zpsc0f043e1.jpg

It looks like Michael and Sue are going to get along just fine. :)

Stay tuned!

• TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    That story is coming along well and it's been well-written.
    I use a Mod to fix the scolding from MTS which makes it user-directed and you can even cancel it if you changed your mind.I've got it set up to let me choose to punish a child and to select the punishment.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
    Thanks @ACB44 and @TadOlson ! :) I appreciate you following it. It's been nice to get back into writing. ;)
  • ACB44ACB44 Posts: 140 Member
    No problem! It's progressing really well! ... I love how easily it is for Sims to fall in love and accept each other ... I wonder how the kids are holding up back home or how they feel about their dad dating again .... hhmmmmmmmmmm.

Also, I love your pictures!
    ACB44 wrote: »
    No problem! It's progressing really well! ... I love how easily it is for Sims to fall in love and accept each other ... I wonder how the kids are holding up back home or how they feel about their dad dating again .... hhmmmmmmmmmm.

Also, I love your pictures!

^Funny you should mention that because I was going to add the kids feelings about it in some of my later stories. ;)
    edited May 2017
    I really should start these out in Chapters...So here we go:

Chapter 3

While Michael was playing with Sue, he looked out the bedroom window and noticed Jenni on the deck, hunched over and throwing up. Worried, he handed Sue off to her grandmother and ran outside. Sue didn't want to be held though...she wanted to follow her new best buddy.

Outside, Michael placed a hand on Jenni's shoulder and asked, "Are you alright?"
    Embarrassed, Jenni wiped her mouth with her sleeve and said, "Yes. Just let me go and get something to clean this up with."
    "I got it," said Michael and he went inside to fetch some paper towels and a trash bag.

Once he returned, he proceeded to clean up the vomit but Jenni stopped him. "Really, Michael," she said, "Thank you but I got it." She she bent down and took the paper towels from him.
    "I'm almost done anyway," Michael said, "besides...I've dealt with worse things in my medical career."
    Jenni smiled. The embarrassment was gone now as she watched this sweet man do this VERY nice service to her.

Once it was all cleaned up, Michael returned to her on the deck. He noticed that Sue had made her way onto the deck and he heard Jenni say to her, "Sue honey, please go back inside. You don't want to be crawling around on this deck right now."
    Michael chuckled.
    But Sue just went by her mother's side and hugged her leg.
    "Once again, I'm sorry about that," Jenni said to Michael.
    "Don't be," he said. Then he examined her face a little more closely. She looked more pale than usual. "Are you sure you're alright?" he asked. He then felt her forehead, "Do you feel like you are coming down with something?"
    Jenni's eyes lowered, "No..." she said. Then there came a sigh.
    Michael took her hand. In doing so he could feel her pulse racing. "Jenni?" he said looking her in the eye. "What's wrong? You can tell me anything."
    "Haven't I told you enough already?" she said, chuckling a little.
    "Sure," Mike answered, "but I get the feeling there is something else. You did mention you had a COUPLE of things to tell me right?" He tried to contain how nervous he felt.
    "I did," Jenni replied, "but...I guess I was hoping I could've saved this one for a later time." Sue kept tugging at her leg and with a hint of frustration she said, "Sue, please, not right now."
    There were a few minutes of silence between the two of them.

Then Jenni could no longer stand his piercing gaze at her.
    "You see," she began while taking a breath, "I am SO excited yet...scared at the same time."

JennihassomethingtotellMike_zps0082e476.jpg

"What is it?" Michael asked impatiently.
    "Michael," she began, "I'm pregnant."

Michael froze. It seemed Sue did as well. Jenni tried to break the silence by smiling, but Michael was so lost in thought he couldn't focus.
    "How? I..." was all he could get out. Then he asked, "Is it...mine?"

Jenni nodded. "Of course," she added, "I hope you never worried about that."
    "No, I didn't it's just that...was it when...we fooled around in the treehouse?"
    "Yes."
    Oh man, Michael thought, I NEVER meant for this to happen! I never wanted to get a woman pregnant outside of marriage. Why couldn't I have broken up the heat of the moment and asked her if she was on birth control or better yet, grabbed a condom!! Wait, do I even have any more of those?? He pressed his forehead into the palm of his hand. What are the kids going to think? I can already sense Bailey and Derrick aren't too happy about it...The younger two haven't really talked to me about it. Oh gosh what am I going to do??

Seeing Michael's distress, Jenni wasn't sure what to say.
    "Michael?"
    What a night...Michael thought. But despite everything, I need be strong and let her know that it's going to be ok. She is pregnant. With my child. She doesn't need any added stress or worry.
    He then took her hands and smiled.
    Mikesresponsetonews_zps9a2b820b.jpg
    "It's ok," He told her. "I'm happy. I really am. It's wonderful news."
    "But?" Jenni added for him.
    "It's just a lot to take in right now," He said.
    "I understand, I really do."
    Gently he kissed her forehead and said, "I'm not sure how my kids are going to react to this. I think...I just need spend some time with them for a while and with my thoughts."
    Jenni bowed her head sadly, "So...are you saying that you don't want to see me anymore?"
    "No!" Michael nearly shouted, grabbing her shoulders. "No," he said again more softly. "I will not abandon you and the baby like your other boyfriend did! I love you. I am in this with you, now and for always!"
    Jenni cried and threw her arms around his neck, "Oh Mike...I love you too!"

"Mommy!" Sue whined, still tugging at her leg.

After Michael had said goodbye to Jenni's parents and friends, he kissed Jenni and Sue and left to go home. It was a little after 1 am. His stomach sank the whole time he drove back. He didn't know how to face his kids. I'll wait a couple of days before I break the news, he thought, when the time is right.

Then he sighed, A day at a time...a day at a time.
    edited May 2017
    Chapter 4

A couple of days went by and Michael still didn't feel ready to tell the kids the news. It seemed they couldn't sense anything suspicious was going on and he hoped he could keep it that way until he was ready.

On this morning he decided to pay a visit to the Hospital to clear his mind and see some of his old co-workers and friends. It was a joyous time and oh how Michael longed to be a doctor again. Someday, was all he could say to himself. Things had gotten MUCH better financially for him and that he was grateful for.

Meanwhile:

After school, Bailey and Derrick went to the park to do their homework for a change.

"So I haven't seen Jenni around with dad in a few days," Bailey said to Derrick while texting Shark.
    "Really?" Derrick asked while buried in his homework, "I haven't been paying much attention to them anyway."
    "I mean, don't get me wrong," Bailey said shifting her weight on the park bench, "Jenni is a really nice lady but...she's not Mom."
    "No one will ever be as good as mom," Derrick said, "she raised us all the while dealing with her own issues. That takes a great deal of strength. I just wish I would've told her that, and many other ways I appreciated her, before she died."
    "Yeah," Bailey said staring off in the distance. "I wish I did too."
    It was silent for a few minutes and during that time Bailey just couldn't get herself to do her homework. She got a text from Shark saying he and his buddies were going to see a movie and asked if she wanted to join. Sure, she texted back, I'll meet you there.
    Taking a deep breath she said to her brother, "Well, I'm gonna go meet Shark at the movies. See you back at home."
    "Whatever," Derrick said while rolling his eyes.

Once he finished his homework, Derrick stood up and stretched. Then he noticed a girl he had run into on a few occasions at school, reading a book by the water fountain. Her name was Jade Greenwood. He thought she was pretty cute, but never thought a guy like him would have a chance with someone as popular as her. While lost in his thoughts, Jade looked up to see him staring at her. Derrick didn't notice her gaze.

"You ok?" he heard a voice ask. It was Jade.
    Oh!
    "Is that you Derrick?" she asked, closing her book and coming toward him.
    "Uhhh," Derrick mumbled, "Yes! It is. Sorry about that."
    Now Jade's eyes were just a couple of feet away from his. "How are you doing?" she asked. "I haven't seen you in a while."
    I can't believe she actually remembered my NAME!!!

DerrickmeetsJadeGreenwood_zpsc93ae68c.jpg

"Pretty good," Derrick answered with a sigh and stuffing his hands in his pocket. Geez, why am I so nervous?
    "That's good," Jade said. "Your dad is Doctor Holland right? I heard my mom talking about running into him at the store the other day and how happy she was to see him happy."
    "Yeah, uh, well," Derrick said scratching his head, "he and us have been doing much better since mom died. He seems to be handling it better than me and my sister thought he would..."
    "How so?" Jade asked, slightly 🐸🐸🐸🐸 her head.
    "Well," he said, "It has only been a year since mom died and he already has a girlfriend."
    "Ohhh," Jade said pausing. She didn't really know what to say about that. However she did want to say,"I don't know if I ever told you how sorry I was to hear about your Mom. You guys sure were the talk of the town for a while."
    "I bet," Derrick said.
    Jade inched in a little closer to him and said, "Would you like to hang out for a bit?"
    Now THAT got Derrick's attention! Really? She wants to hang out with ME!?
    "Sure!" He said happily.
    Then they took a stroll around the park talking about whatever.

Back at home, Molly and Andrea were playing tag. Michael watched them outside the kitchen window with a smile, just as he had put Tristan in the high chair for his mid afternoon meal. Oh to be a child again, he thought. When the girls ran back inside, they leaned forward catching their breaths.

"Hey, you two should take it easy," Michael said.
    "What do you think we are doing dad?" Molly said.
    Michael chuckled. True.
    "Why aren't you hanging out with Jenni dad?" Andrea asked.
    There was a pause. He wasn't expecting that question.
    "Oh," Michael began, "she hasn't been feeling well."
    "Oh," the girls said together.
    Then there was a longer pause, along with the huffs and heaves from the girls and Tristan making noises while playing with his food.
    "Hey girls," Michael said breaking the silence.
    They looked up at him.
    "You two...LIKE Jenni, don't you?"
    "Sure dad," Andrea answered.
    It took Molly a second though. "Yeah. She's real nice to us dad."
    Michael smiled with a little sense of relief. "I'm glad," he said. "I know it might seem weird for you to see me with another woman but," he paused studying their faces, "but she's really helped me to feel happy and being happy has helped me better take care of all of you."
    Molly and Andrea nodded, understanding.
    "I love you guys," Michael said from the bottom of his heart.
    "We love you two dad," the girls said together.
    Michael went over and gave each a hug and a kiss and then they darted off to the next room.
    "Ok Tristan," Michael said with a sigh, "Let's get you cleaned up.

Back at the park, it was nearly 5pm and Derrick couldn't believe he had been chatting up a storm with Jade for 2 hours! They talked about life and all sorts of silly teenage stuff. He felt like he was developing a crush. He wished he could know how Jade felt.

"What time is it?" Jade asked him.
    Derrick glanced at his watch and said, "It's 4:55."
    "Oh dear," Jade said worriedly, "I gotta get home or my dad is gonna kill me! We usually have dinner right about now."
    Derrick REALLY didn't want her to go. "C'mon, we can hang for a few minutes longer can't we?" he asked. "This has been really fun."
    "It has," Jade said with a smile, "but I really do have to go..."
    A strange sensation came over Derrick. So many rolling emotions. He really felt some chemistry going on between them this afternoon and this feeling was unlike anything he had ever experienced. In fact, he couldn't remember EVER feeling this way about a girl or even if he had a former crush! Heck, she even asked him for a massage!

Theyseemtohititoff_zps2f9f028c.jpg

"Wait!" Derrick cried for some odd reason.
    "Yes?" Jade asked curiously.
    Then Derrick did something crazy...

Heregoesthefirstkiss_zps152eb21d.jpg

He laid the most passionate kiss on her he had ever given. Well, this was his FIRST kiss.

"What are you doing!?!?" Jade asked, angrily pushing him away.

Shewasntready_zps723d2e29.jpg

Oh cr'ap! Derrick thought. Did I just DO that!?
    Immediately he began begging her forgiveness.

Derrickapologizing_zps6de44762.jpg

"I don't know what came over me! I'm so so sorry Jade!! Please...can we just forget it ever happened?" Even though he didn't want to.

Jade looked away and sighed. "Fine," she said. "I really need to go now. Goodnight Derrick." And with that she walked away.

edited May 2017
    I just wanted to add a few things:

Yes, it IS possible to find a man who is so wonderful that he will clean up your vomit for you. ;) True story. Early in our marriage, my husband and I were chatting in our bedroom and all of the sudden I felt sick. I was lying on the bed and sat up and next thing I knew I threw up a huge pile of nastiness on the hardwood floor! (Thank goodness it was hard wood. We lived in an old 1930's quadplex on a military base). Without complaining, my dear sweet hubby went and got the dustpan with the little broom on it and cleaned it up for me. That is one of the sweetest and most selfless acts I have ever seen him do for me. <3 Little did I know, I was pregnant....
    Later he would reveal that it was the most disgusting thing and he was trying real hard not to vomit himself! ;) Lol!

Also, I REALLY REALLY want to make Michael and Jenni get married! But I can't while doing the challenge....so I have to make things happen in the story that prevent it until the kids are old enough to move out.

And with the Risky Woohoo, I had it set to 30%. I was not expecting that Jenni would get pregnant with a 70% chance she wouldn't. It was a risk I was willing to take to make the story more interesting but...surprise!! ;)

Stay tuned for more of the story. :) Thank you for reading it! I am truly enjoying writing and PLAYING the story! :)
    edited May 2017
    Chapter 5

5 months passed by all too quickly and even in all that time Michael STILL didn't know how to tell his children that Jenni was pregnant. He felt it best to break news slowly to them. Before the 5 months passed he DID manage to sit them all down to tell him that he and Jenni were officially dating and asked them how their feelings were about it. It was obvious how Bailey and Derrick felt about it and they had no problem expressing it in the coming days.

Baileyangryherdadisdating_zps28f954c6.jpg

"Dad! How can you do this to us!? How could you move on from mom so quickly?"
    "Bailey, honey, I understand your frustration but please...I need you to understand," Michael said.
    "Understand what?? That you didn't really love mom as much as you said you did!?"
    "No! You know that is far from the truth! I loved your mother with all my heart and soul and I STILL do and forever will!"
    "Then WHY only a year after mom dies you start dating Jenni?"
    "Because Bailey," Michael began rubbing his forehead.
    "We don't need another mother!" Bailey interrupted, "We were doing just FINE, all 6 of us!"
    "Bailey listen to me!" Michael ordered. "Being with Jenni has helped me get through my pain. It has given me the love of a woman again which I didn't realize I needed SO much while raising you kids! I'm happy again...I feel like I can DO all this! In no way am I trying to replace your mom, you know that. I'm just...trying to do what I can to survive!" Tears started welling up in Michael's eyes. He prayed she would understand. As much as he could explain of it.
    "Oh really?" Bailey asked rudely.
    "Dad! How can you do this to us!? How could you move on from mom so quickly?"
    "Bailey, honey, I understand your frustration but please...I need you to understand," Michael said.
    "Understand what?? That you didn't really love mom as much as you said you did!?"
    "No! You know that is far from the truth! I loved your mother with all my heart and soul and I STILL do and forever will!"
    "Then WHY only a year after mom dies you start dating Jenni?"
    "Because Bailey," Michael began rubbing his forehead.
    "We don't need another mother!" Bailey interrupted, "We were doing just FINE, all 6 of us!"
    "Bailey listen to me!" Michael ordered. "Being with Jenni has helped me get through my pain. It has given me the love of a woman again which I didn't realize I needed SO much while raising you kids! I'm happy again...I feel like I can DO all this! In no way am I trying to replace your mom, you know that. I'm just...trying to do what I can to survive!" Tears started welling up in Michael's eyes. He prayed she would understand. As much as he could explain of it.
    "Oh really?" Bailey asked rudely.

ohreallydad_zpsd1e2ea29.jpg

"If you marry her," Bailey added, "I will lose all respect for you and I'll run away! With Shark if I want to!" And with that she stormed out of her father's bedroom.

Baileystormsout_zps1ca1d685.jpg

A week later, Michael could see that Derrick was having some troubles himself. He tried to ask Derrick about it but he would never open up.

Jade didn't speak to Derrick at school since the "incident" and it made him feel like such an idiot! Why did I DO that!? I should've just taken it slow and then maybe... He sighed. He took hope in the fact that she didn't seem angry with him, just that she was avoiding him. Either way, it still hurt. He wondered if he could ever make it right between them again.

That night he received a text from his best friend saying that he saw Jade and the Quarterback of the football team making out behind the bleachers as he was heading back home from his after school activities. That was NOT what Derrick wanted to hear! He lowered his head in sadness, but soon it turned to anger.

He headed downstairs to dive into a tub of ice cream, when he saw Molly chatting with Michael at the bottom of the stairs.

Sodadwhatisgoingon_zps7fa43531.jpg

"So daddy," He heard Molly say, "Is Jenni going to be our new mommy?"
    "OF COURSE NOT!" Derrick roared from the top of the stairs. Molly, startled, looked up at him. Oh boy...Michael thought.

"We already have a mom Molly!" he said, "so No, she won't be our new mommy she will just be an evil step-mother!"
    "Derrick that's enough!" Michael said sternly.
    Angrily, Derrick pushed his father out of the way and said, "I don't need this right now," but Michael grabbed his arm and pulled him back.
    "What's been going on with you son!?" he asked worriedly.

DerrickarguingwithMikeabouthisgirlfriend_zpsa19598f1.jpg

"EVERYTHING!" Derrick answered looking his dad straight in the eye, "You and Jenni, Bailey and that chump, the girls seeming to be ok with your relationship with Jenni and the ONE girl in school who means more to me than any of the others decides she wants to be with the quarterback of the football team instead!!" Then he kicked the stair post.
    Michael paused. That was unexpected, but at least now we are getting somewhere, he thought.

"Just relax son," he said putting his hands on Derrick's shoulders, "Let's go in the other room and talk about this."
    But Derrick removed his dad's hands from him and said, "No dad. I really DON'T want to talk about it!" Then he went into the kitchen and grabbed a tub of ice cream like he originally planned to do.

Michael just stood there rubbing his eyes and sighed. Molly wrapped her arms around his waist and gave him a hug.

It pained Michael deeply looking back on those two incidences. He was waiting by the lake for Jenni to meet him on their date. They decided to pick a secluded location to discuss a few things privately so that rumors wouldn't spread around...even though some assumptions already have.

When he saw her coming out of her car he could see that her baby bump was finally showing. It made him smile, but then he frowned. He hoped he could make a good life for this baby, WITH Jenni, but how was he going to get his kids to approve? Especially after he reveals to them she is pregnant and they will be getting a half brother/sister.

Michael walked over to her and took her in his arms kissing her. "Gosh, I've missed you!" He said.
    "It's only been a day," Jenni chuckled.
    "It feels like eternity."
    Then he bent down and rubbed her belly. "Hello baby," he said.

feelingtummy_zps8d72d68f.jpg

Then he pressed his ear to her belly. That made Jenni laugh.
    "You're a doctor. You know you can't hear the baby like that," she joked.

Listeningtotummy_zpsead44ece.jpg
    (LOVE this picture!! :) )

"You're right," Michael said. Then he stood up and asked, "When is your ultrasound?"
    "In a week," Jenni answered, "Will you be there?"
    "I wouldn't miss it," Michael said kissing her.
    "Should we find out the gender of the baby or just be surprised?"
    Michael then looked into her eyes, "Do YOU want to know?"
    "I'm fine either way," Jenni answered honestly.
    "You sure?"
    "Yes"
    "Well, I say for the fun of it, let's be surprised."
    Jenni smiled and kissed him approving. "I say so too."

Then they began talking about how Michael was going to tell the kids the big news.

Babybump_zps8ee1322a.jpg

After a long chat, Jenni began to feel achy so Michael gave her a nice back rub before suggesting they go sit down in the car.

givesamuchneededmassage_zps8ac16d50.jpg

"Let's head off before we miss the movie," Michael said and off they drove to the Theatre.
    Somehow, he thought, some way, I am going to bring these two families together. I will! Lord please help me...

Stay tuned!

• moonandsixpensmoonandsixpens Posts: 553 Member
    Seriously? No kissing allowed but ask for a massage? Lol I don't understand that Jade girl... Or is Derrick a terrible kisser? ;)
    tumblr_noncvdlzEI1unxm84o1_540.png

Seriously? No kissing allowed but ask for a massage? Lol I don't understand that Jade girl... Or is Derrick a terrible kisser? ;)

Lol! Not sure about that one. ;)
    edited May 2017
    Continuation of Chapter 5:

Michael and Jenni barely made it to the Theater in time to catch the movie. While Michael bought the tickets at the ticket booth, Jenni heard a voice behind her say, "Jenni?"

She turned around and gaped.
    "Oh my gosh, Goodwin! Hi!"

The name Goodwin caused Michael to turn. Goodwin Goode. He wouldn't forget the name of the boyfriend who got Jenni pregnant in her teens and then just decided to run off with other women and give her the shaft after Sue was born. Michael nudged at her shoulder. "C'mon, sweetheart or we're going to miss the movie," he said while shooting at quick glance at Goodwin.

"Jenni," Goodwin said, "I just want to talk to you. Real quick."
    Jenni turned and whispered to Michael, "Give me a few minutes and I'll be there soon."
    "You gonna be ok?" Michael asked concernedly.
    "Yes, I'll be fine."
    "Ok," Michael said and he turned and entered the Theater.

"So," Jenni began, clasping her hands in her lap, "How are you? It's been a long time..."

Aruninwiththebabydaddy_zpsd09e6a4a.jpg

"I know," said Goodwin. Then there was an awkward pause. "So, I see you are pregnant?"
    "Yes"
    "Was that your husband?"
    Jenni REALLY hated to admit this, especially to HIM!
    "No," she reluctantly answered, "he is my boyfriend. It wasn't planned, just a...heat of the moment thing."
    "Like us," Goodwin said with a creepy smile.
    Jenni rolled her eyes and sighed. "What do you want Goodwin?" she asked.
    "How's Sue?"

Meanwhile in the Theater, it had already been 15 minutes into the movie and there was no sign of Jenni. Michael began to worry. He carefully sent Jenni a text (don't want to disturb others...) and asked her if everything was ok. 2 minutes later she responded with, "Yes. He started asking about Sue. Just trying to catch up." Another 10 minutes went by and he didn't hear anything else or see her come in. At this point he figured there was no reason to stay and watch the movie.

He left the Theater and saw Jenni and Goodwin still standing there chatting away. When Jenni saw Michael she said, "Oh I am so sorry honey."
    "It's fine," Michael said cutting her off. He was indeed a little frustrated.
    "We were just...talking about Sue and my family and other stuff," Jenni said. She really felt horrible.
    "Well," Michael said looking at his watch, "the movie has already been going for 35 minutes...Maybe we can just catch it another time."
    Jenni frowned, "I'm so sorry Michael."
    Then Goodwin stepped forward and held out his hand to Michael. "We haven't been properly introduced," he said, "My name is Goodwin Goode."
    "I know," Michael said.
    "Oh so Jenni has told you about me?" He sounded flattered. Really?
    "A bit, yeah," Michael responded.
    Jenni didn't like where this was going...
    "Well she's just been telling me some nice things about you Mike. You sound like a good man."
    Michael seemed to let his frustration get the best of him. "Can't say the same about you."
    Jenni gaped.
    "Excuse me?" Goodwin asked.
    "You heard me," Michael said, "and I'm about to tell you EXACTLY what I think of you!"
    "Michael!" Jenni cried.

MiketellsGoodwinhowhereallyfeelsabouthim_zps72a174c7.jpg

"You're a dead beat dad that's what you are!" Michael said, "I mean what kind of guy gets a girl pregnant and then just abandons her after the child is born!? What kind of selfish pig are you??"
    Jenni stepped in before a fight broke out, even though she probably shouldn't have.
    "Michael!" she said again, "That is enough! We are leaving."

Needless to say there wasn't much conversation between Michael and Jenni as they got into their separate cars to go home. Michael couldn't believe what just happened but at the same time he felt good about what he did.

The next morning Jenni called Michael to apologize about last night and ask what came over him.

Sorryabouttheothernight_zpsfb291efe.jpg

"I'm really sorry Jenni," he said sincerely, "After everything you told me about him I just couldn't help but dislike him from the start. I know you two had a lot to catch up on, but...I didn't like the way he was looking at you. Judging you. I vowed never to be that kind of guy and..."
    "Michael," Jenni interrupted, "You could never, ever be like him. You're so much better! So much more loving and caring. I can't thank God enough for you!"
    Michael smiled. "I love you."
    "I love you too."
    "Don't you worry Jenni, I'm gonna make this all work out. My kids will come around and soon we will all be one, big happy family."
    I hope.

A week passed by and Michael went in with Jenni to get her ultrasound done. The baby and mother were doing just fine and of course, they expressed that they wanted to keep the baby's gender a surprise. Michael couldn't believe the sweet little child he saw on the screen was his. He'd been through this experience 5 times now, but something like this...is always miraculous to see.

Meanwhile with the kids, Bailey was hanging out with Shark more and more often. Derrick heard through the grapevine that the quarterback of the football team was just trying to get in good with Jade so he could bang her. Not if I can help it! He said determined. I am going to ask her on a date and win her over! Just gotta do things a little slower this time.

Andrea made it onto the honor roll at school and expressed to Michael that someday she wants to become a world renowned surgeon! Michael couldn't have been more proud. Molly was having a difficult time fitting in at school and Tristan was just being the typical toddler. What else lies in store for the Holland family?

Stay tuned! :)
    Hey everyone. What do you think so far? :)

Sometimes because of time restraints I will just tell what happened and post pictures instead of writing out a novel, even though I LOVE it!

It will kind of be like a narrated movie. ;)
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    One kid seems to be headed for trouble and the other is having girl troubles.The story is great!
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    It's a lovely story so far!
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
    Thanks @SweetieKaye :) Glad you are enjoying it.