Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Abductions vs Alien visits

I got Seasons EP hoping to get a male sim abducted for a story line I wanted to create. So I made my sim run around looking for space rock and looking through the telescope. And I've never had this sim or any other sim in my game so far be abducted. Aliens come all the time to visit though, so instead of waiting, I got him to get flirty with a female alien and got them hitched!

Anyway do you think there's a glitch or something?

Comments

• Options
    KarinLKarinL Posts: 3,989 Member
    Could just be bad luck. Or your lot is too small? I think they do prefer bigger lots. Also, it helps to have them be up and active in the middle of the night.
  • Options
    simgirl4lyfesimgirl4lyfe Posts: 18 New Member
    They were on a decent sized lot and they were pretty active too. oh well. like you said probably just bad luck
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    edited March 2015
    I've only had abductions from midnight to 3am (but I don't know if it's possible later). My sims were almost always up during that time. Off the top of my head I do not recall a sim ever waking up to get abducted. I also think space rocks in the sim's inventory does more than using the telescope or just having rocks on the lot. Someone recently mentioned that the space rocks should be analyzed, but I don't know if that's true. I usually have my sim analyze them anyways. The sim wiki entry may shed more light.

I just had a plumbot (Conundrum) abducted this morning. The lot was rather small and the mysterious lights appeared on the road in front of the house. So I'm not sure lot size is critical. Conundrum didn't have any space rocks in his inventory but his creator Buck was running around the neighborhood that night collecting rocks, gems, and metals.

edit: based off a thread on NRaas Chatterbox, it seems collecting space rocks is what gives the bonus to abduction. That and using the telescope. The bonus is temporary, only for the next abduction period (midnight to 3 am). So, if you do all that and there's no abduction, you need to repeat it all to try again.

I think the chances are: 1% base abduction chance, +14% telescope bonus, +15% per space rock bonus up to 60% total from space rocks. That tops out at 75%. Also, it appears that an abduction, when it occurs, happens to anyone eligible in the household - i.e. the sim who collects the rocks or uses the telescope is irrelevant. Oh, and if a YA/A male is abducted, there's a 33% chance he'll be alien pregnant.

I've been trying out collecting rocks and using the telescope in my game on the days I want my sim abducted, and it's working quite well (especially after increasing many of the percentages with NRaas Retuner). Well enough that I'm pretty sure rocks on the lot and in a sim's inventory is irrelevant.
    Post edited by TreyNutz on
  • Options
    AMariseSAMariseS Posts: 2,458 Member
    I've had Seasons since it came out. I haven't had even a single male pregnancy. :s All of my alien hybrids came from marrying visiting aliens into my family. I've decided that there's one Sim I've got who's going to dedicate his life to becoming pregnant. Sleep during the day, get all of his needs taken care of by nightfall, fill his pockets with space rocks & stand at that darned telescope all night every night. He will spawn that branch of the family's heir! He must!
  • Options
    MACRONAUTMACRONAUT Posts: 200 Member
    I have had seasons since it came out. Have only had one male pregnancy. I guess I have been unlucky, cuz I was trying to get him taken. Collecting rocks, using the telescope etc, no luck. Oddly enough it finally happened in a game when i wasn't trying for it. He had married an alien then got her pregnant, he was abducted the very next day. She gave birth to twin girls and he had a boy. :)
  • Options
    rosey1579rosey1579 Posts: 6,252 Member
    Huh. I once had the same guy pregnant twice. He was a roommate, though. I had no idea what was keeping the family from moving! I heart aliens!
  • Options
    chuggirl03chuggirl03 Posts: 28 New Member
    I've collected about 9 space rocks, put them on my lot, and had my male abducted. Try using a telescope night and day, collecting rocks, and it'll be a whopping 90% chance :)
  • Options
    jordandjordand Posts: 262 Member
    Does it matter whether they use the "Stargaze" vs "Search Galaxy" option? I am also trying to get a sim abducted and wasn't sure if the options on the telescope made a difference.
  • Options
    As far as I know, it doesn't matter.
  • Options
    ChimarkChimark Posts: 2,166 Member
    TreyNutz wrote: »
    Off the top of my head I do not recall a sim ever waking up to get abducted.

I've only had my Sims abducted twice, both times they were woken up out of their sleep and went to investigate. You can't cancel that action. The male was pregnant, the female of course, was not.
  • Options
    I just had a sim who was just going to bed, switched into her sleepwear but might not have actually made it into the bed, get abducted. That's the closest I've had to a sleeping sim getting abducted.

All the other times, there certainly seems to be a preference for awake sims. Eligible but sleeping sims just don't seem to be abducted over eligible and awake sims. At least in my game so far. I have had powered down plumbots power up to get abducted.

I should try this though. I have my game set up through NRaas Retuner to provide a 99% chance of abduction when 3 space rocks are collected and the telescope is used. Usually I keep the male sim awake and "available." Perhaps I'll put everyone to bed (send the plumbot off the lot) and see what happens. There's currently the one YA male, his plumbot husband, his 4 YA children (twin daughters, a plantsim son, and a plantsim daughter), and his teenage son. Oh, and one teenage alien daughter. So, plenty to choose from aside from the alien.