Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Discussion Thread for Maxis Tab Recommendations

BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
I think that we're having a valuable discussion on the "Best Creations Ever" thread but that it might be better if we moved it to a separate thread so as not to get in the way of the actual nominations!

Points of discussion that I've picked up on so far:
  • How to improve the thread (we might want to discuss more in depth what's wrong with it in the first place).
  • Value (or lack thereof) of Maxis favorites
  • Criteria for recommendations (obviously pretty subjective but maybe worth talking about to get ideas from each other)

Here was my original post on the thread which was focused on improving the thread:
BryonyRae wrote: »
The great thing about this thread though, @Manssom, is that it allows us to nominate people who may never visit this forum and thus would not participate in a showcase style thread. I personally like scouting out amazing builds by relative "unknowns" that are getting overlooked. I hope we'll be able to make whatever changes are necessary to keep this thread effective and helpful for the gurus vs. having to go to some other format.

My personal suggestions for improvement would be:
  1. Make sure your nomination is not already listed (I don't see the need to "second" nominations; it just clutters up the thread)
  2. Make sure your nomination is not already a Maxis favorite (it's in the rules, but I still see it happening frequently)
  3. List fewer nominations per post (if you've got a ton, save some of them for next week)
  4. Post on a weekly basis, not daily
  5. Provide a Gallery link for each nomination
  6. Post nomination thank yous on showcase threads or via PM, not here
  7. If Maxis does favorite one of your nominations, edit your post to cross it out, so if they go back through the thread, it's easier to see which nominations are still outstanding.

To me, there is value in a Maxis favorite from two perspectives: 1) it's nice to think that they noticed and liked our work, and 2) the Maxis favorite grants a lot more visibility for our work. That said though, I've wondered to myself for a while now if it doesn't cause more harm than good because many people have such strong emotional reactions to the whole thing. I hate to see people getting so disappointed when their work isn't chosen or bashing other works that do get chosen. I personally wouldn't mind if the Maxis tab disappeared altogether. They could still spotlight builds via social media (which they already do without favoriting them) and via this web site.

As far as criteria for recommendations, I personally will only nominate something that is completely finished (exterior, interior, and landscaping) and that really wows me. I don't care who created it. As I said, I do go scouting for unknowns, but if I find an amazing build, I'm going to nominate it regardless. I just think that great work should always be acknowledged.
Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations

Comments

• Options
    N0NoTToN0NN0NoTToN0N Posts: 1,024 Member
    I noticed that a lot of people seem to be concerned about popularity/exposure and those who just upload without promoting their work quickly get buried and go unnoticed. It's kind of frustrating to sort through the tons of uploads to find things you like but like it or not chances are if a lot has a lot of downloads/favorites or Maxis favorite it most likely is going to be something more people want. Having that to narrow a search parameter is nice. That being said it is sad that amazing talent does get buried. So here was my thought:
    treece01 wrote: »
    I wonder if some sort of "Best of the Gallery Graveyard" recommendation category or thread would be helpful? One where people can nominate creators that have, say less than 100/150 followers. I follow a few creators that I think are awesome but apparently are not well known and have a surprisingly low amount of downloads & favorites. I don't know these people and just found them by browsing or their showcase threads but would love to see them get appreciated. (I was happy to see that Maxis did happen to notice butch14's "Castle Drachenburg)
    Nothing is ever going to give everyone their due and every idea has it's benefits and drawbacks but it was just a thought I had.
    BTW; I like BryonyRae's suggestions.
    19172275569_bb0181ed75.jpgGingerThyme; by T Reece, on Flickr
  • Options
    PurpleKachinaPurpleKachina Posts: 4,159 Member
    Good call to create a new thread.
    BryonyRae wrote: »
    To me, there is value in a Maxis favorite from two perspectives: 1) it's nice to think that they noticed and liked our work, and 2) the Maxis favorite grants a lot more visibility for our work. That said though, I've wondered to myself for a while now if it doesn't cause more harm than good because many people have such strong emotional reactions to the whole thing. I hate to see people getting so disappointed when their work isn't chosen or bashing other works that do get chosen. I personally wouldn't mind if the Maxis tab disappeared altogether. They could still spotlight builds via social media (which they already do without favoriting them) and via this web site.

As far as criteria for recommendations, I personally will only nominate something that is completely finished (exterior, interior, and landscaping) and that really wows me. I don't care who created it. As I said, I do go scouting for unknowns, but if I find an amazing build, I'm going to nominate it regardless. I just think that great work should always be acknowledged.
    I think we share similar feelings regarding the Maxis tab. But it would be a little sad to see it go.

Mostly because I have found some really interesting and beautiful things through that tab :)

About the bashing - this is something that happened to me a while back after Maxis picked one of my lots for their tab.
    It wasn't too serious though, mostly very passive aggressive but still totally disrespectful and not to mention uncalled for.
    I would hate to see this happen to other people as well because there are those who gets really hurt by that kind of behaviour.
    I stand by what I said on the other thread - I see no reason to question Maxis choice for their tab unless it is a case with bad
    CC attached or plagiarism. We can all have opinions, but that doesn't mean we can't keep them to ourselves.

I think it's enough that we can all have our own criteria when it comes to nominating builds. Like you said yourself.

And it kinda is a problem when people starts talking openly about Maxis not picking "high quality" work for their tab.
    Imagine how that must feel for many people who has been selected by them. Especially those who has just started creating.
    These are the ones who really needs all the support they can get. Because let's be honest, we all started from scratch at some
    point and I think one of the things that kept us going was indeed the support from others. At least, that's how it was for me.

I have always loved the Creative Corner because it holds some of the most kind and supportive simmers in this entire community
    and I don't want it to turn into a place where some people are feeling left out because they can't please everyone with their work.
  • Options
    jol1990jol1990 Posts: 257 Member
    for me the reccomandations thread is mostly fine; the only thing dragging it down at the moment is that some people manipulated others in nominating the stuff that person creates and since the person stopped asking for nominating; the people she asked at the start are still doing it; this brings in unfinished rushed builds in this topic and makes the person look like the best builder in the world. This whole issue is bringing the thread down when you see these amazing finished and well thought builds; and then a few people upload nominations of builds that are somethimes rushed or unfurnished; aka; theyre not finished. There should be a critique added to the list. Your build must be finished to be able to be nominated.

mETeT9z.jpg

Check out my buildings on the gallery under my name or on my building showcase! http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/794210/j0l1990-s-building-showcase/p3
    To find me on the gallery, look for J0L1990 thats the number 0, not an O!
  • Options
    aquiliferaquilifer Posts: 206 Member
    I think the build and share group challenges have done a few things right which could add to the "legitimacy" of Maxis favorites. In particular, I have a great deal of respect for how they have three different tiers of competition, depending on the experience of the builder. I really appreciate how it encourages newer and less experienced builders to continue becoming better. Mind you, they're also dealing with a much smaller pool of builders than the entire gallery, where it is easier to keep track of these things. But I like how it encourages people at different levels, and how transparent the group is about the judging process. They're extremely clear about the fact that the final scores are, in the end, all based to a certain degree on the personal taste of the judges, and there's never any way to take personal bias out of the equation. But if a person wins a competition at a lower level, that same person might be held to a higher standard next time.

Maybe that's impossible to keep track of on the scale of the entire gallery. However, we, as the people who can nominate work in the recommendations thread, might apply a similar standard to our own nominations. For example, if I nominate BryonyRae for her latest build, and she gets favorited, maybe I shouldn't nominate her again unless she really brings it to the next level (because I know she will, some day).

The fundamental point I am trying to make is that I'd love to see people get recognized for improvement, whatever level they start at. I certainly won't claim, though, that I have a perfect answer for that yet.
  • Options
    Zita1966zZita1966z Posts: 9,641 Member
    edited December 2014
    Great idea and thread Bryony.
    Let me start by saying I have a lot of time on hand to build and create and I am also a very fast builder. This is what I love doing, every single moment I have to spare. An idea will spark at times, then I rush to a lot and quickly build a frame of what I had in mind, This normally leaves me with a couple of lots that looks like a construction site. :) I then work on 5-7 lots a day. A little bit here and then a little bit there. This way I can easily manage to upload 3-4 builds to my gallery a day. For me (like every build should think of their builds) beautiful and finished. What is finished 4 me (example) is maybe not finished 4 others. But then again we all have active opinions and that is fine o:)

What really annoys me is the plum comments and the bashing to OP's on the forum and threads, and it always seems to be the same odd little group :D They just never let go..and it just goes on and on and on...suggesting they rather focus this wasted energy on something positive rather than bash other OP's. The only other alternative is the apply the ignore button - which works fine btw. :D

May I also thank you BryonyRay for all your postive feedback on my gallery and constructive advise. I do appreciate it tremendously and know I have so much more to learn. Step by step, day by day <3

typo <3
  • Options
    bokylie1bokylie1 Posts: 804 Member
    My 2 cents worth.

I am finding that the thread is becoming more of a popularity thread than anything else. At times, it seems that people have made numerous accounts to ensure their builds are nominated at least once or more times on each page of the thread. Most of these accounts are still "new members".

There are people that never visit this forum, or rarely upload their builds, or that may not build the biggest lots that are being overlooked. There are numerous smaller builds that would be great to see Maxis favourite however they never are.

I would love to see Maxis limit their favourites at this time to 5 builds per person. That way the tab isn't overloaded with the same people's builds all the time and it will give the chance for some of the less popular builders the chance to have their lots favourited.

In addition, it would be nice to see Maxis add this thread to each nations forums. This way if people in other countries visit their own forums and not the US one, they have the same chance of having their lots favourited.
    Forum and Origin ID: bokylie1

• Options
    edited December 2014
    This used to hold a comment not worth the topic anymore.....
    Post edited by jol1990 on
    mETeT9z.jpg

Check out my buildings on the gallery under my name or on my building showcase! http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/794210/j0l1990-s-building-showcase/p3
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Let's have a :cookie:

Also, just for the sake of clarity. Some builders enjoys creating shells, and leave the decoration part to the ones who downloads.You can have this as your own rule when it comes to nominating, that it has to be furnished. But I don't think it should be an official rule for the reason I already mentioned. And again, it's really up to Maxis what they want to add to their tab.
    Post edited by PurpleKachina on
  • Options
    bokylie1bokylie1 Posts: 804 Member
    Manssom wrote: »
    Also, just for the sake of clarity. Some builders enjoys creating shells, and leave the decoration part to the ones who downloads.
    You can have this as your own rule when it comes to nominating, that it has to be furnished. But I don't think it should be an official rule
    for the reason I already mentioned. And again, it's really up to Maxis what they want to add to their tab.

The BEST builds should be complete lots including decorating and furnishing. If you want Best Shells, then there should be a different thread for that. In my view, Best builds are completed lots with all the trimmings, not half 🐸🐸🐸🐸 lots that people can't be bothered finishing.

I honestly think some of the builds that are recommended look terrible and shouldn't be nominated. Quite a few look rushed and don't deserve to be favourited by Maxis.

Another point I would like to make. People who create threads whining that Maxis hasn't favourited any of their builds should not be favourited. All Maxis is doing is giving into these precious little souls who think they are Gods gift.
    Forum and Origin ID: bokylie1

• Options
    edited December 2014
    kamb1403 wrote: »
    Manssom wrote: »
    Also, just for the sake of clarity. Some builders enjoys creating shells, and leave the decoration part to the ones who downloads.
    You can have this as your own rule when it comes to nominating, that it has to be furnished. But I don't think it should be an official rule
    for the reason I already mentioned. And again, it's really up to Maxis what they want to add to their tab.

The BEST builds should be complete lots including decorating and furnishing. If you want Best Shells, then there should be a different thread for that. In my view, Best builds are completed lots with all the trimmings, not half 🐸🐸🐸🐸 lots that people can't be bothered finishing.
    Best Shells, not a bad idea. I kinda agree. I haven't seen any shells on the Maxis thread though,
    just pointed out that there are in fact builders who builds shells. Just like there are people who redecorate :)

Edit: I just noticed that they added this on the Maxis thread
    Please only nominate finished builds. If a build is unfinished, we would prefer not to review it.

So I guess they do prefer to have furnished builds, at least that's how I read it.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    heart <3
    mETeT9z.jpg

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Replacing with :cookie: so the thread doesn't lose it's original track.
    Post edited by PurpleKachina on
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    erm ill replace it wiiith.... <3 A HEART so everyone can feel the looove of the holidays... right? ... anyone?... Xd
    mETeT9z.jpg

• Options
    kreatorakreatora Posts: 557 Member
    @‌treece01 wrote
    There are people that never visit this forum, or rarely upload their builds, or that may not build the biggest lots that are being overlooked. There are numerous smaller builds that would be great to see Maxis favourite however they never are.
    Many peoples never visit this forum because they are from other countries, and often do not speak English. We have the same topic on our forum but for what, if it is in a strange language for Maxis peoples? XD
    My English is poor and sorry for it, but I can write something here even with errors.
    So my nominations are not only my. I'm only the voice of our forum :)
    My ID Origin kreatora
    Hero on EA AHQ
  • Options
    i do find it hard to choose nominations though.. do you only take big superdetailed builds? can you take smaller cute builds with not as much detail but lots of charm; keeping in mind that for some people it might not be worthy a fav?.. i dont have a clue. Its like asking people to nominate theyre favourite candy; every person will allways say their taste and everyones taste differs; for instance i only eat the red and green candys because i like the flavours theyre associated with; same with houses, i prefer finished products that are obvious that took alot of time instead of builds that are made an maybe 2 hours, it does show alot.
    Is it wrong of me saying that rushed builds should not be allowed after seeing the amount of finished amazing builds on the gallery made by people no one ever heard from? anyways, this is all opinion based.
    mETeT9z.jpg

• Options
    N0NoTToN0NN0NoTToN0N Posts: 1,024 Member
    @kreatora, That was actually Kamb1403 that posted that but I do feel the same way. I don't like to see how quickly awesome creations get buried. By the way, a lot of the things that I find just by scrolling through the gallery, the ones that WOW me, are from creators from other countries. It is harder to nominate them (I wish they had a translator...but that would be pretty involved) but like BryonyRae said, if we post a link to the download it helps. I'm still getting the hang of navigating between sites and linking things so I only nominated once so far.
    19172275569_bb0181ed75.jpgGingerThyme; by T Reece, on Flickr
  • Options
    Zita1966zZita1966z Posts: 9,641 Member
    edited December 2014
    edit: ...never mind... Nice comments everyone o:)
  • Options
    i recently made this as a proof of concept regarding bad pictures the game takes of your house so it doesnt look good or flat, anyone likes this idea? it would take you back in game to a picture mode so you can take a picture of your house in the angle you want too,

DSy0Xqq.jpg
    mETeT9z.jpg

• Options
    Personally I like the idea. I believe it would make a huge difference for everyone if we could change the gallery
    images. We had something called Image Changer in TS3 and this was a third party program. Worked like a charm
    and it quickly became very popular. One of the best things with that was that we were able to present our work in our
    own unique way. Not sure if it would possible to do the exact same thing with the Gallery but anything at this point would
    be better than the default pictures, in my opinion. So yes, it's a very good idea.
  • Options
    I want to laugh when I'm looking at new houses. The Gallery produces now 10 houses per minute, each of the obligatory Christmas tree and snowman We already have a house "Christmas tree" Now I'm waiting for the house inside Snowman. Unfortunately there is no hole in Snowman:)
    My ID Origin kreatora
    Hero on EA AHQ
  • Options
    Another thing I thought about - everyone should do some play testing before sharing. Especially now when we got
    the MOO cheat back (which isn't 100% stable, I might add). I usually do this myself, and everyone can forget about a small
    thing (or two) sometimes. But I have seen lots with severe routing issues and it is a shame because this can be avoided.

Just a thought :)
  • Options
    Yes, testing when using MOO is definitely in order! We are finding all kinds of odd and glitchy things. If any of you have the time, please join in on the testing and report your findings here.
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    After the last changes in the Gallery we got there a big disaster. The new law has been imposed. If some object will be uploaded two times by the same person - object will be stopped and will be not go up in table. So your friend or worse your enemy has possibility to stop your work on low level.
    Some times ago I have proposed to change this system and set works and achievements in Gallery according to quantity" favored", because every work can be favored only once.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/13047542/#Comment_13047542
    So for today we should be look for the best works in the table favored, not in the downloads

My ID Origin kreatora
    Hero on EA AHQ
  • Options
    @kreatora I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Can you give an example?
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I think I understand what you are saying. But I am a bit confused.
    kreatora wrote: »
    After the last changes in the Gallery we got there a big disaster. The new law has been imposed. If some object will be uploaded two times by the same person - object will be stopped and will be not go up in table. So your friend or worse your enemy has possibility to stop your work on low level.
    What "law" are you referring to exactly and where did you get this information?