March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What does your sims' home look like?

moonandsixpensmoonandsixpens Posts: 553 Member
edited January 2015 in The Sims 3 Builders
I am very enthusiastic about architectures and interior designs in sims3 but I haven't seen a discussion about lots here. I would love to share pictures of my creations but I am not a member yet. Will post them once I have the upload picture option coming up.

So what kind of dwelling does your sim inhabit? What's the style, in which world? What is the backstory? What is your sims' living style, switching between houses or living in the same place for generations? What living environment do you prefer for your sim, rural or urban?
tumblr_noncvdlzEI1unxm84o1_540.png

Post edited by moonandsixpens on

Comments

• DeathJohnsonDeathJohnson Posts: 166 Member
    I have a whole blog answering backstory questions in probably far more detail than anyone would want, but as for the current house, I had a bunch of pictures for one of the entries, so I'll copy that part of it here.

Due to the odd location the house was built in, the garage had to be placed it the front and center of the property because most of it didn't align well with the street.

Sims158.png

The side door out of the garage leads out to a cobblestone path towards the front door of the house.

Sims159.png

The master bedroom includes two double beds, as well as a pet bed, and a small bookcase.

Sims160.png

The bathroom and kitchen combine to occupy the other corner on that side of the house.

Sims161.png

The dining area is next to the kitchen, it's not actually a room in itself, as there are no doors or walls separating it from the main living room, but the flooring is different in that area. The dining area includes two big tables, eight chairs, and a bar with a couple of barstools next to it.

Sims162.png

If you keep going straight after entering the front door of the house, you will find another door, this one leads to the courtyard. With a large fountain, several benches to relax on, and flowers lining the outside.

Sims163.png

Inside the building, there are symmetrical hallways on both sides of the courtyard, they are pretty bare right now, only containing a bookcase, and a sofa close to a window giving a good view of the courtyard. The plan is to decorate these hallways later with art that Sam paints if she has the time to paint that much.

Sims164.png

At the end of the hallways are bare rooms, which would be perfect for bedrooms at a later date if Sam adds new members to her family later. These bedrooms also have staircases leading to bare rooms upstairs, which would be good for bathrooms later.

Sims165.png

Sims166.png

Sims168.png

Sims167.png

On the side of the main house, there is a lot of empty space for any outdoor activities they might want to plan.

Sims171.png

The other side of the lot had a fenced in area that would be good for gardening, a pond that would be good for fishing if it was stocked, and good for ice skating in the winter. There was also of course, a pool, which would be good for... Well... Swimming.

Sims172.png

---

Link to the actual blog is here: http://sims3insaniac.blogspot.ca/2014/11/update-1.html

For the short answers to some of those questions, I had the first two generations live on the same property, but only built a house for the second generation, and the third moved to a new house entirely. And I almost always play in Sunset Valley.
    Insaniac Family Blog: http://sims3insaniac.blogspot.ca/
    My YouTube Channel: http://bit.ly/1xsbrTS (I don't do Sims videos, but you can still check it out and see if there's anything you like)
    My Twitch Channel: http://bit.ly/13Ccp3y
  • moonandsixpensmoonandsixpens Posts: 553 Member
    > @DeathJohnson said:
    > I have a whole blog answering backstory questions in probably far more detail than anyone would want, but as for the current house, I had a bunch of pictures for one of the entries, so I'll copy that part of it here.
    >

Just checked out your blog and indeed there is much too read haha. I can't help but notice the house is very big and the arrangements are quite straightforward though. I guess you are more into sims' interactions than messing around with build/buy? :D

• DeathJohnsonDeathJohnson Posts: 166 Member
    That's the most effort I ever put into building a house. Most of my houses are just big squares with about 2 rooms.
    Insaniac Family Blog: http://sims3insaniac.blogspot.ca/
    My YouTube Channel: http://bit.ly/1xsbrTS (I don't do Sims videos, but you can still check it out and see if there's anything you like)
    My Twitch Channel: http://bit.ly/13Ccp3y
    > @DeathJohnson said:
    > That's the most effort I ever put into building a house. Most of my houses are just big squares with about 2 rooms.

haha I am the opposite. I build more than I play.

• bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    Hi! I usually build my sims' houses myself, and usually on at least a 30x30 or 40x40...I like large yards as most of my sims are gardeners. I have basements for nectar-making and workout machines and most of the bedrooms are on the second floor. I don't have large houses as my sims are usually strapped for cash...I don't have any millionaire sims, lol. If they want a big fancy house, they have to save their money and buy one. The houses are comfortable and I love redecorating and expanding as the families grow. Most of the décor is of the mid cost range and they have lots of clutter, as well as rooms for their collections.

I don't have any recent pictures of my houses as I don't usually take them of houses, just sims, lol.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    edited December 2014
    I have two main games on the go atm, but one just lives in one of the starter homes in sunset valley, very boring and ugly. The other my sims are in Hidden Springs, and this is their house (It's a remodeled home that came with the world).
    Screenshot-5832.jpg

I won't even show the upper floor as it's still in a state of destruction as I had to remodel the whole house to make room for the surprise quadruplets my sims had, and I didn't have time to deal with making everything fancy (now it has been like a year and half since, but anyway, I'm only really getting back into playing this family again, I had too much interference with life before), so I just worked on rooms I used a lot, primarily in the story I was doing at the time.

The main floor isn't so bad, aside from the missing sofa, the master bedroom in the back isn't done either, nor is the bathroom, but the kitchen/dining room and family room are nice.
    Screenshot-5835.jpg

And I was posing my sims one day out at another lot, and I wasn't getting what I needed, they were out for like 1 and a half sim weeks before I decided my game was glitching so I wasted a lot of time and I spent a lot of time just letting my game run while I did other things instead so I wasn't bored just staring at my screen, so the repoman had a few visits and took a bunch of stuff. They're worth millions so the repoman takes all the important expensive stuff. So now I'm looking at either remodeling the home yet again to replace everything that was taken and to finish off whatever didn't get done before, but also maybe building a new house. I have one I'm working on but it's difficult to furnish the interior (I despise setting up rooms, decorating is fine, spacing out the rooms s.ucks).

I do often move my sims a lot, my sim moved into this house in the 2nd generation and now gen. 4 is all grown up, but usually I move each generation (and gen 4 will move most likely... gen 3 was supposed to though and didn't). I mix between the cities and the smaller towns (what I would imagine to be peaceful laid-back towns), just whatever I feel suits the sim best.

I tend to favour large showy homes. I also like a rustic style though or modern, I'm in heaven when both can be achieved. I like to achieve both in my homes, but it seldom ends up happening.

Edit:idk if my pictures just aren't working for me, the code seems fine, so hopefully they show up.

Nevermind, they work now.
    edited December 2014
    > @dreamerz13 said:
    > Edit:idk if my pictures just aren't working for me, the code seems fine, so hopefully they show up.
    >
    > Nevermind, they work now.

Nope they don't...

> @dreamerz13 said:<br />
    > Edit:idk if my pictures just aren't working for me, the code seems fine, so hopefully they show up.<br />
    > <br />
    > Nevermind, they work now.<br />
    <br />
    Nope they don't...

Jebus they were showing. GAH. >.< Well it's not just me, I'll have to see if I can fix them somehow.
    > @bshag4lv said:
    > Hi! I usually build my sims' houses myself, and usually on at least a 30x30 or 40x40...I like large yards as most of my sims are gardeners. I have basements for nectar-making and workout machines and most of the bedrooms are on the second floor. I don't have large houses as my sims are usually strapped for cash...I don't have any millionaire sims, lol. If they want a big fancy house, they have to save their money and buy one. The houses are comfortable and I love redecorating and expanding as the families grow. Most of the décor is of the mid cost range and they have lots of clutter, as well as rooms for their collections.
    >
    > I don't have any recent pictures of my houses as I don't usually take them of houses, just sims, lol.

I tried to let my sim stay poor and earn her way up but that lucky plum won a lottery. Bye bye empty lot, hello penthouse!

Okay pictures should be fixed, I had to switch to photobucket, so they kind of suck now, but anyway.
    > @dreamerz13 said:
    > Okay pictures should be fixed, I had to switch to photobucket, so they kind of suck now, but anyway.

The house is giving out strong "rich people" vibe, I guess the repoman got very jealous ;P
    My computer is not good enough to hold a legacy family so I normally won't play more than 3 sims in the same family. I tried the interaction "pinch cheek" using the grandma to her grandkid, it was adorable.
    About rustic mixed with modern style, have you tried using textured materials with bright colour such as white rustic wood as the theme? For example the Hewnsman set in sims3 store looks pretty rustic but once you paint the furnitures white with shades (don't know the correct expression... not pure white, a bit grey or mixed a bit with other colours) and let plenty of natural light coming into the room through large windows and use simple decorations it could look modern too?

> Okay pictures should be fixed, I had to switch to photobucket, so they kind of suck now, but anyway.<br />
    <br />
    The house is giving out strong "rich people" vibe, I guess the repoman got very jealous ;P <br />
    My computer is not good enough to hold a legacy family so I normally won't play more than 3 sims in the same family. I tried the interaction "pinch cheek" using the grandma to her grandkid, it was adorable. <br />
    About rustic mixed with modern style, have you tried using textured materials with bright colour such as white rustic wood as the theme? For example the Hewnsman set in sims3 store looks pretty rustic but once you paint the furnitures white with shades (don't know the correct expression... not pure white, a bit grey or mixed a bit with other colours) and let plenty of natural light coming into the room through large windows and use simple decorations it could look modern too?

It's funny the house I'm building now, I went into live mode to get an exterior picture of it, and who's moving in... the repoman.. I think he's stealing furnishings for his new home. LOL. But whatever, it's due for another renovation at least, if they don't move so he can take whatever he wants less I have to sell later. And losing a couple hundred maybe a couple thousand dollars on replacements is no biggie.

There's a pinch cheek interaction?!

I haven't tried that, I don't think, maybe, lol... I've been playing too long idk what I've tried anymore. I could try it. I just kind of want to be creepy, this is a very common style in lottery homes here right now, I just want to spend hours in one taking pictures and studying everything... but I think they'd probably kick me out LOL. I have another house I'm building too (I have like 3 on the go atm, I'm in a building phase right now), I might try that in there.
    > @dreamerz13 said:
    > There's a pinch cheek interaction?!

That interaction probably comes with the Generation EP. The kid reacts differently when he/she has distant/close relationship with the grandma/pa. I was so proud when my sim's grandkid accepted her pinch :D

> There's a pinch cheek interaction?!<br />
    <br />
    That interaction probably comes with the Generation EP. The kid reacts differently when he/she has distant/close relationship with the grandma/pa. I was so proud when my sim's grandkid accepted her pinch :D

I have that EP, I guess I just don't have the grandparents interact with the grandkids enough. I think it's time to make some grandbabies, nobody is ready for children yet, but too bad :smiling_imp:
  • Roxxgirl13Roxxgirl13 Posts: 50 Member
    Ooh, I love making homes and decorating them... This is the one my sims are living in now, backstory is that I made it for my last family (a mermaid) and liked it so I'm using it again! It's on the Divers Den island in Isla Paradiso,

DVWFE80.jpg
    r5JkSgw.jpg

It's kind of in the style of those colourful beach huts that you get, and the pool with the seaweed stuff was for the mermaid. As for interior decor,

O5b5GqN.jpg
    Jo1yCk0.jpg

I also have this one, which is from a basement of a boathouse, but I liked the decor so,

CAlpHCe.jpg
    ~ despite my username I'm actually a guy and would prefer you referred to me as such ~
  • CrazycatldyCrazycatldy Posts: 4,588 Member
    I'm not usually very good at building but I was pleased with the way this little starter home turned out for my sim.

Screenshot-1.jpg

Screenshot-2.jpg

It's a bit small for taking anything but above pictures of the entire house. My Sim broke the shower just before I took the above shot. :|

Screenshot-3.jpg

My sim was very persistent with wanting to through a pool party so I built him a small one and landscaped the back yard.

Screenshot-4.jpg

The little building houses the bar that he practices his Mixology skills on, his Science research center and last but not least is where Bonehilda lives.

@Crazycatldy

Lovely house! Are you playing a nerd sim?

• AngelEb95AngelEb95 Posts: 1,538 Member
    I suck at architecture. I usually just move my sims into a premade house or download one from TSR
    attack-on-titan-attack-on-titan-s4.gif
    edited December 2014
    Finally, I am a member! Thank you all for your supports and likes and lols!

My sim now lives in Twinbrook by the swamps. The area seems abandoned and appears to be a blunt reminder of the city's decay. I like that. To match the environment and atmosphere I made the house ragged and shabby. Now I am going to flood this reply with images >:)

So this is my sim's house:
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg

I like the dim lights at night:
    screenshot_original.jpg

The exterior garden:
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg

The pond:
    screenshot_original.jpg
    the pond by sunset:
    screenshot_original.jpg
    the pond at midnight:
    screenshot_original.jpg

This is where the clothes hang dry. Hopefully the horses won't steal them!
    screenshot_original.jpg

The washing machine is placed outside because it constantly leaks.
    screenshot_original.jpg

This is the entrance:
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg

My sim is a private eye so I built her an office. The waiting area of the office is also where the assistant's desk locates - not that my sim has an assistant. There's also a file room for client information storage, but of course my sim had only two clients so the room is just to make her feel good ;P
    screenshot_original.jpg
    The office. The only place with a decent furniture (the desk and desk chair):
    screenshot_original.jpg

I think I forgot to take pictures for the kitchen, but it is unimpressive anyways. Never mind. It is attached with a storage room where there are many wine shelves. Of course they are empty. My sim is just pretending to be rich.

The dinning room:
    screenshot_original.jpg

The second floor. Living area:
    screenshot_original.jpg

My sim's room. The door leads to a small balcony.
    screenshot_original.jpg
    At night, the lightening stroked. The painting on the wall comes with Supernatural.
    screenshot_original.jpg
    The bathroom:
    screenshot_original.jpg

The guest-room. Not that there will be any guests. My sim is a lone wolf.
    screenshot_original.jpg

Finally the floor plan:
    The second floor:
    screenshot_original.jpg
    The first floor:
    screenshot_original.jpg

Done!

AngelEb95 wrote: »
    I suck at architecture. I usually just move my sims into a premade house or download one from TSR

The TSR houses are fabulous but my computer won't be able to handle so many CCs :/

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Beautiful houses! I love seeing other people's creations in the game, it often provides me with new inspiration and ideas.
    Great scenery pics as well Moonandsixpens :)
    5JZ57S6.png
    Beautiful houses! I love seeing other people's creations in the game, it often provides me with new inspiration and ideas.

Thank you! I feel the same about seeing other people's creations, I also browse real life home design.

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

Thank you! I feel the same about seeing other people's creations, I also browse real life home design.
    Me too! And sometimes I take pictures of real houses, especially when I'm abroad.
    5JZ57S6.png
    @Roxxgirl13

Wow, your sims surely know how to live! Looking at the pictures I can almost feel the sea breezes!

• CrazycatldyCrazycatldy Posts: 4,588 Member
    Thank you. That's a really nice house you have there in Twinbrook. It fits in well with the environment. My Sim wants to reach level 10 in Mixology but is a Computer Genius and strives to be excepted by the Nerd community. :) He has no career yet which is why he's still in his starter home. He lives off the land for now.