Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

MiffoShort Just Arrived

MiffoShortMiffoShort Posts: 1,901 Member
Hello, my name is Matthew Short (or MiffoShort - depending on what you want to call me). I am currently becoming a writer, having wrote a book already in 2015 I am hoping to publish one. In my spare time I play The Sims 4 (which I bought on Monday) and would hopefully like to make some friends here on the forums. My mum always said the best way to be a part of something is not to try and be someone else but to be yourself. So here's what I am:

The first thing about me is that I'm different compared to other people. I have Autistic Spectrum Disorder and I'll tell you that it's a bit of a pain. I can't go out properly, I worry constantly, I bite my nails constantly and when I start to panic I start to shake and often worry that I'm having a heart attack. Autism has been with me for over four years now and for those four years mine and my parent's (they look after me) lives have been pretty crazy. I've started going out more this year but almost for the whole of the year I stay indoors isolated from the outside world. And because I stay in so much that's why I started writing books but it also gives me time to play a lot of computer games, such as The Sims.
When I was first diagnosed with Autism my grampy gave me money to buy one of The Sims 3 games, the game I bought was High End Loft Stuff and I still own that disk copy today. Sadly a few months on my grampy died from asbestos poisoning and after his death I was left feeling pretty guilty because I had barely seen him in the last few years of his life, and because I couldn't travel to see him it meant my mum couldn't as well. So my mum missed out on seeing her dad in the last few months of his life.
But my Autism isn't all bad, with my Autism I am fairly creative and on The Sims 3 I created a lot of what I felt to be unique buildings. My Autism has also allowed me to stay young. I'm seventeen but I still watch children's shows like SpongeBob Square Pants, Ben 10 and Scooby Doo. And I also love to read about science and the human body, but because I worry about health so much I'm not really allowed to research in to health because it worries me. I had done chatting to other people before, this had been on facebook and I had been trying to pretend to be someone I'm not, someone without Autism and sadly it had gone terribly wrong. So when I bought The Sims 4 I decided to give the forums ago, being as honest as I possibly can.

So hopefully on this forum, overtime I'll make some friends or maybe just some people to chat with about Sims stuff. I don't get out much so it would be nice if anyone wanted to talk about Sims with me, and if you don't like people with Autism or people who are different then feel free to ignore my post!

So thanks for having me as part of the forum, I'm hoping to be here for many great Sim years to come.

Comments

• Options
    ENolanENolan Posts: 2,735 Member
    Welcome to the sims forums, mate! I wish you luck on your endeavors and hope you'll bring some good writings here as well.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Thank ENolan.
  • Options
    rjhenn14rjhenn14 Posts: 601 Member
    Welcome, thank you for sharing your personal story. I hope you enjoy THe Sims 4 as much as I am. I love watching stories I make up in my mind come to life in this game! Enjoy!!
  • Options
    Thanks rjhenn14.

The Sims are great games and like you I love creating stuff, from The Sims themselves too creating houses. I like games where you can be someone else and where you can create almost endless adventures!
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member
    Hello :) Welcome to sims 4. Thankyou for sharing about your life. I hope that you enjoy playing sims and posting on the forums. Happy simming! :)
  • Options
    Thank you rosemow. Happy simming to you as well... :)
  • Options
    cauliflowerscauliflowers Posts: 5,782 Member
    is it edible?
    TL8ZBmw.gif
  • Options
    SpradaciSprojSpradaciSproj Posts: 1,272 Member
    Welcome to the forum. :)
  • Options
    altad1altad1 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Hello and welcome to the forums, and thanks for sharing your story with us. The Sims is a good way to be creative, hopefully you can share some of your creativity in the Sims with us on the Sims Stories Board.

Good luck with your writing, and there is nothing wrong with watching kids programs I'm a lot older than you and can still enjoy a good cartoon. Happy Siming
  • Options
    Thanks altad1.

It's really good to be here. Happy simming to you too.
  • Options
    ImNoComedianImNoComedian Posts: 886 Member
    Fresh meat

hii @MiffoShort
  • Options
    Hello ImNoComedian.

It's good to meet you :)
  • Options
    Coffefreak4LifeCoffefreak4Life Posts: 8,082 Member
    Diagnosed as autistic only 4 years ago ? That seems odd to me its usually diagnosed much earlier .
  • Options
    Diagnosed as autistic only 4 years ago ? That seems odd to me its usually diagnosed much earlier .

My daughter wasn't officially diagnosed until she was 18 - 16 years after I first took her to the doctor with my suspicion.
  • Options
    From what I have read Autism is worse when it's diagnosed later, though I've had it for four years and I am doing ok at the moment. In my opinion I think it's sometimes harder for the parent's to deal with rather than the child him or herself! My mum took me to the doctor's too, I wouldn't go to secondary school, I cried and cried and in the end I was taken to the doctors. The doctor asked me questions, I didn't look her in the eyes and I didn't say anything to her. I was then sent to monthly hospital appointments where I had tests and then my mum and dad were told that I had Autistic Spectrum Disorder! Everything changed after that, I stopped going out by car because I was afraid I'd be sick, I worried about my health all the time and whenever I got online I googled health and made myself quite ill. For a while I actually believed I was dying and I won't lie to you, those were nasty days. When I didn't go out I thought about killing myself and I just became worse and worse!

But I have changed quite a bit since then. I am a lot better now and do go out occasionally in the car, sadly my grampy died which did put guilt on to me, guilt which I have carried for three years now, almost four! When I go out in the car I only go five minutes up the road but to me that's progress, so currently I am taking It slowly...but I'll make it soon!

@SpreadaciSproj:

Sorry to hear that your daughter has Autism. I hope she's coping with it well. :D
  • Options
    Gnarl_LeeGnarl_Lee Posts: 1,014 Member
    MiffoShort wrote: »
    I am currently becoming a writer, having wrote a book already in 2015 I am hoping to publish one.

hmmm...
  • Options
    From what I have read Autism is worse when it's diagnosed later, though I've had it for four years and I am doing ok at the moment. In my opinion I think it's sometimes harder for the parent's to deal with rather than the child him or herself! My mum took me to the doctor's too, I wouldn't go to secondary school, I cried and cried and in the end I was taken to the doctors. The doctor asked me questions, I didn't look her in the eyes and I didn't say anything to her. I was then sent to monthly hospital appointments where I had tests and then my mum and dad were told that I had Autistic Spectrum Disorder! Everything changed after that, I stopped going out by car because I was afraid I'd be sick, I worried about my health all the time and whenever I got online I googled health and made myself quite ill. For a while I actually believed I was dying and I won't lie to you, those were nasty days. When I didn't go out I thought about killing myself and I just became worse and worse!<br />
    <br />
    But I have changed quite a bit since then. I am a lot better now and do go out occasionally in the car, sadly my grampy died which did put guilt on to me, guilt which I have carried for three years now, almost four! When I go out in the car I only go five minutes up the road but to me that's progress, so currently I am taking It slowly...but I'll make it soon!<br />
    <br />
    @SpreadaciSproj:<br />
    <br />
    Sorry to hear that your daughter has Autism. I hope she's coping with it well. :D

I see . what kinds of tests if you dont mind me asking .
  • Options
    leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    My daughter wasn't officially diagnosed until she was 18 - 16 years after I first took her to the doctor with my suspicion.

Thanks for clarify it. I also believed than autism is easily diagnositsed at todder or childhood

@MiffoShort no need to have autism to enjoy out-of-age [if there is a rule than say it] TV and make childish things :D
    See me at 35 years old watching anime and playing The Sims
  • Options
    @MiffoShort

My daughter, like you, writes - mostly short stories, but she has faithfully kept a journal since she was about 10 ( she's 29 now ). She is doing very well. :) She enjoys playing SimTown - thankfully, I've been able to keep her in computers that will still allow her to play it.
  • Options
    @Coffefreak4Life

I don't remember them all, but one was a hearing test and then and I think there was a picture test too. Those were some scary days, I was always afraid of going to the appointments. Don't know why though?
    I was fine with my worries and travelling before I was diagnosed, but my mum and dad said that there was small things, things that the doctors noticed. Since then I have changed quite a bit...
    I guess it's one of those things that just happens.

@SpreadaciSproj:

Yes I like writing. On Amazon.co.uk I bought some old school text books, a pack of 10 for something like £4.00
    I do writing drafts in the books and then I write on computer. Does your daughter enjoy writing on paper or computer?
  • Options
    @Coffefreak4Life&lt;br />
    <br />
    I don't remember them all, but one was a hearing test and then and I think there was a picture test too. Those were some scary days, I was always afraid of going to the appointments. Don't know why though?<br />
    I was fine with my worries and travelling before I was diagnosed, but my mum and dad said that there was small things, things that the doctors noticed. Since then I have changed quite a bit...<br />
    I guess it's one of those things that just happens.<br />
    <br />
    @SpreadaciSproj:<br />
    <br />
    Yes I like writing. On Amazon.co.uk I bought some old school text books, a pack of 10 for something like £4.00<br />
    I do writing drafts in the books and then I write on computer. Does your daughter enjoy writing on paper or computer?

She wrote on paper for many years, but once I got her a computer of her own she switched to that.
  • Options
    interesting . with as many neurological tests as ive undergone I've only done that kind of thing once and it was part of another test
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    leo3487 wrote: »

Thanks for clarify it. I also believed than autism is easily diagnositsed at todder or childhood

@MiffoShort no need to have autism to enjoy out-of-age [if there is a rule than say it] TV and make childish things :D
    See me at 35 years old watching anime and playing The Sims

A lot has changed with autism since my daughter was born. Her diagnosis took so long because she was also born 6 ½ weeks premature & required emergency surgery with 3 hours of birth, so had other issues that masked the autism aspects.

Edit for typo
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    @Coffefreak4Life:

I guess different people take different tests. We're all different, I hope your handling your Autism ok. I'm getting there with mine but sometimes it can be quite annoying... :smile:

@SpradacoSproj:

Does your daughter like being Autistic, or does she hate it? I hated Autism when I was first diagnosed but now I am just about coming to terms with it. How does she feel?
  • Options
    I have Epilepsy actually ( have had it since birth ) but having done so many tests im quite familiar with them