Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you play The Sims 2 on a Windows 8.1 Operating System?

NaydiNaydi Posts: 387 Member
I couldn't even get it to play on Windows7, so those of you who are still playing TS2, for various reasons, how do you get it to run on a current Windows operating system?
This I do for the fun of it.
  • My Sims 4 Blog with Custom Content and Commentary is at Celynoir
  • Get my Custom Content at The Sims 4 Noir and Mod the Sims.
  • More downloads, houses and Sims, are available in the Gallery, under Naydi33.

Comments

• Options
    colton147colton147 Posts: 9,663 Member
    I simply installed it.

There is nothing wrong with the Sims 2 on my computer, which has Windows 8.1.

Some people's computers will work, some won't. It just really is random.
  • Options
    ClattieClattie Posts: 39 Member
    I can play the Sims 2 on my laptop with Windows 8.1. I just installed the UC from Origin and it worked like a charm. I had the game installed from disc prior to this and it would crash before I upgraded from 8 to 8.1. Now it works fine.
  • Options
    So you have to buy it again from Origin?
  • Options
    nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    If you have the Sims 2 base game CD, then you'll probably run into troubles. You will need UC to install it successfully.

EA gave UC away for free for this reason, first they gave it to proper owners of TS2, then they gave it away to anyone who wanted the game. You might try calling support and letting them know you have a serial number. Good luck with installation.
  • Options
    windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • Options
    Thanks for the useful info and link!!
  • Options
    DLatriceDLatrice Posts: 71 Member
    if it doesnt' run on your 8.1 and you have the activation codes from the actual discs, EA will give you the Sims Ultimate Collection (which has all EP and SP) for free through origin. At least, they did for me anyway. Just contact them thru support chat
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    ANNAPTXANNAPTX Posts: 3,742 Member
    I did automatically get The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection via Origin, as I had my TS2 stuff registered. I just recently installed it on my newer computer, which is Windows 8.1..I tried to download back in Summer, kept getting some error message about the graphic card not compatible, but I tried again last week, and now it has installed, and runs perfectly..I don't know what the original issue is, as I have an HD graphic set on this computer, so the pixel shader was way more than good enough..glitch in the system, perhaps, but it is all good now! :D
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    The game runs really bad (or doesn't run at all) and crashes if you have an Intel HD graphics card.

It'll likely run just fine if you have a modern Nvidia graphics card.
  • Options
    nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    The game runs really bad (or doesn't run at all) and crashes if you have an Intel HD graphics card.

It'll likely run just fine if you have a modern Nvidia graphics card.

It's running fine on my Intel 4000 card with sim shadows off, but the game doesn't recognize my dual Nvidia card :disappointed_relieved:
  • Options
    Cleo201Cleo201 Posts: 13 New Member
    I'm not sure if this works, as my game is still installing, but go to EA website and select live chat support - tell them your problem and they'll probably give you the ultimate sims 2 collection (redeem code for origin)
  • Options
    joralydjoralyd Posts: 55 Member
    If anyone is having trouble playing sims2 ultimate collection on their computer or laptop it's most likely a graphics card compatibility issue. If you search google for "leefish sims 2 graphic card fix" w w w .🐸🐸🐸🐸 she has detailed step by step instructions plus pictures.

There is also a "graphics rule maker" that will do it all for you it's just a downloaded program but that didn't work for me, I needed to do it manually. I have a dual card system with the intel and Nvidia and it was causing a lot of problems.

If you're not sure what graphics card your system has go here w w w . wikihow . com/Find-Out-What-Graphics-Card-You-Have
    I took the pledge
  • Options
    gayarsgayars Posts: 2,229 Member
    edited April 2015
    You can run dxdiag by hitting win r on your computer then typing in dxdiag and hitting enter and it will give you your system details too.
  • Options
    seVenpeaceloVeseVenpeaceloVe Posts: 501 Member
    the best way to run it on 8.1 is the ultimate collection. eliminated the need for several disks as well. it runs very smooth and fast on my system. shadows off. all other settings on high.
    free the sims!
    http://youtu.be/Bj7wOfUwHlo <<sims 2 dane cook creepy work guy. hilarious!
  • Options
    xitneverendssxitneverendss Posts: 1,772 Member
    If you have the Sims 2 base game CD, then you'll probably run into troubles. You will need UC to install it successfully.

EA gave UC away for free for this reason, first they gave it to proper owners of TS2, then they gave it away to anyone who wanted the game. You might try calling support and letting them know you have a serial number. Good luck with installation.

Not necessarily true. I have the disc version of TS2 and all expansions/stuff packs and played it on my old laptop running windows 8.1. Had no problems at all. My new laptop has windows 7 and the game still runs perfectly.

So I believe it's more of a computer thing and less what OS you have.
  • Options
    seVenpeaceloVeseVenpeaceloVe Posts: 501 Member
    Naydi wrote: »
    I couldn't even get it to play on Windows7, so those of you who are still playing TS2, for various reasons, how do you get it to run on a CURRENT Windows operating system?
    just get the ultimate collection. its already patched and you wont have any problems trying to run it.

free the sims!
    http://youtu.be/Bj7wOfUwHlo <<sims 2 dane cook creepy work guy. hilarious!