Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Friends Disappear, Fiancee Gone Missing...

treble17treble17 Posts: 50 Member
Hey! So, I'm really loving the Sims 4 so far, but since the last patch my game has been doing something weird: My sims will go out and make friends, or even make friends at home, but then all of a sudden the friends just completely disappear from all of their relationships. This actually happened with one of my sims' fiancees. They had built up a great relationship and had just gotten engaged... she went home from their date, and the next day tried to plan the wedding... only to discover that the game had erased him and the relationship as though neither had ever existed. I'm really confused, and wondering if anyone else is having a problem with this? It's really messing up my legacy family as so many careers require a lot of friends, and mine are all just disappearing...
Post edited by treble17 on

Comments

• Options
    SpradaciSprojSpradaciSproj Posts: 1,272 Member
    This has been going on since before the patch, unfortunately. :(
  • Options
    SophieDiddleSophieDiddle Posts: 578 Member
    It's a very intelligent system by Maxis to cull sims regardless of relationships. The maximum town population is supposedly 180 (including dead sims).
    I'm sorry for your sims loss. I feel your pain on this one.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,565 Member
    If you're not opposed to mods, there's one over at MTS, mgomez-relationshipdecay.cfg
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    MylitaMylita Posts: 4,447 Member
    GalacticGal, it sounds like a good mod to have, but does that prevent the culling of friends or fiancées?

Mylita
    No friends requests, please.
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    Maybe you sim is driving them away. You know they said these sims have incredible AI
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    This mod stops the pruning from happening. http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=535559
  • Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    It's a very intelligent system by Maxis to cull sims regardless of relationships. The maximum town population is supposedly 180 (including dead sims).
    What!? So when there are 180 dead sims in a neighbourhood you cannot play it anymore?
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    This same thing happened to me just two days ago.... on my legacy challenge, too. Frustrates me that we can't turn that option off. I'll be looking into the mod.
    Simpkin wrote: »
    What!? So when there are 180 dead sims in a neighbourhood you cannot play it anymore?

Excellent point... makes one wonder, doesn't it.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    SophieDiddleSophieDiddle Posts: 578 Member
    edited November 2014
    @Simpkin O.O thats a serious thought. We don't know yet. Perhaps it'll become how the sims 3 was where it just kills off all your babies, toddlers and children (sims with no or few relationships) when you're not playing them to keep numbers down. As for dead sims, it just deletes them, leaving the gravestone empty.
    Hopefully they will work on getting rid of that ridiculous number altogether.
  • Options
    LokiSimsiesLokiSimsies Posts: 1,912 Member
    You can also, if you do not want to use a mod, just keep an eye on the town population yourself. Go into manage world every week when you pay your bills and delete any Sim that your Sim does not have some sort of relationship with (friend, enemy, love interest, etc). The game will respawn them anyways.

I just manage the world myself and no culling (or pruning) happens because my game never gets above 140 Sims total.
  • Options
    GlamourSimmerGlamourSimmer Posts: 238 Member

Wait so how are we suppose to continue the game if dead sims are included? I never heard of this

Sim is life !
    Gaming Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjdolzKVXRHZhBiMKXTdofw ( Don't be afraid to go subscribe )
  • Options
    sawgrass770sawgrass770 Posts: 258 Member
    edited November 2014
    I've been wondering about that. I've kept aging off and have deleted all elderly sims from the not-played section of world management while waiting to see if/how the culling issue is resolved. I did see two new families appeared. I also noticed a duplicate of a sim that was already in the not-played list.
  • Options
    egwarhammeregwarhammer Posts: 5,752 Member
    treble17 wrote: »
    Hey! So, I'm really loving the Sims 4 so far, but since the last patch my game has been doing something weird: My sims will go out and make friends, or even make friends at home, but then all of a sudden the friends just completely disappear from all of their relationships. This actually happened with one of my sims' fiancees. They had built up a great relationship and had just gotten engaged... she went home from their date, and the next day tried to plan the wedding... only to discover that the game had erased him and the relationship as though neither had ever existed. I'm really confused, and wondering if anyone else is having a problem with this? It's really messing up my legacy family as so many careers require a lot of friends, and mine are all just disappearing...

For some reason, Sims4 decided that we only need 180 total slots per game for entire populations. Ridiculous! And there's something about it not working right, because the culling that happens goes for sims you DO have relationships with... it would have made a LOT more sense to me to start at the BOTTOM of that spectrum, not the top.

If you have been playing with aging on and having sims die, then yeah, once you get to 180 of these dead/broken/glitched/unplayable (take your pick) sims, that game is, as far as I know, pretty much done. About 3 generations in, I think, is when this problem really becomes apparent.

Workaround one: play with aging OFF till EA fixes this, or our excellent modders beat this bug into submission. MTS is wonderful... scumbumbo, shimrod101 and mgomez are some of my favorite creators.

Workaround two: if there are sims in your unplayed bin you want to keep the game from deleting... put them on the map!!! And on the flip side, don't wait for those you don't want to keep to die off and clog up a spot, delete them when it's time for them to go.

Side note: save often. And I'm so paranoid I've got copies of all my lots and all my mapped families (and some of my binned ones I like well enough) copied to my own Library also. Other than relationships and inventories (stuff that's in-game specific, I mean), if my game crashes and burns, I've got everything I need to recreate it without having to do a complete rebuild. Huge time saver!

Not that I would love having to do it again... but I've restarted so many times (for various reasons) that I've figured out how to make it less painful. Bulldoze, copy, move in... Add a "groundhog day" or "alien mind-wipe" plot twist and go.
  • Options
    Thanks, guys. I will look into it. I'm in my third generation right now, which is probably why I'm noticing a lot of this. I'll try managing it myself first, but I probably will take a look at mods... MTS has always been great so I'll check out stuff over there.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited November 2014
    Some people state that Sims 4 doesn't have game breaking bugs. This one would be for me.
    (well, technically it's not even a bug, it's 'policy', part of the design)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    LokiSimsiesLokiSimsies Posts: 1,912 Member
    Some people state that Sims 4 doesn't have game breaking bugs. This one would be for me.

I guess I can see that point.

I, personally, don't consider this a game breaking bug. To me, a game breaking bug is one that literally breaks the game. As in, it is no longer playable because it crashes to the desktop (or something like that). Anything else is a massive annoyance that may make one not want to play the game anymore, but it doesn't break it.

*shrugs*
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

I guess I can see that point.

I, personally, don't consider this a game breaking bug. To me, a game breaking bug is one that literally breaks the game. As in, it is no longer playable because it crashes to the desktop (or something like that). Anything else is a massive annoyance that may make one not want to play the game anymore, but it doesn't break it.

*shrugs*
    So there's a literal side to this problem and a figurative one ;)

If a bug breaks my game literally and I go back to the previous save or - worst case scenario but it has happened - start a new game with my family, I'm alright with that. I don't consider it 'my game got broken and I can't play it anymore', because I just continue playing.
    If fiancees my sim started dating can get lost any minute because the game is randomly kicking sims out, or when genetics are a circus, then that breaks the game for me in a figurative but far more serious way. I won't feel like playing anymore.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Guess I'm going to have to go with a mod. To be honest, this is really obnoxious. I would rather see this bug get fixed than have new careers in December... My sims literally spend all day making friends, only to end up losing almost all of them-- and this even after I go and try to cull the population myself so that the game won't just keep doing it for me. Frustrated beyond measure. I've been a supporter of the game so far, but this needs to get fixed for the game to actually be fun and enjoyable.
  • Options
    egwarhammeregwarhammer Posts: 5,752 Member
    treble17 wrote: »
    Guess I'm going to have to go with a mod. To be honest, this is really obnoxious. I would rather see this bug get fixed than have new careers in December... My sims literally spend all day making friends, only to end up losing almost all of them-- and this even after I go and try to cull the population myself so that the game won't just keep doing it for me. Frustrated beyond measure. I've been a supporter of the game so far, but this needs to get fixed for the game to actually be fun and enjoyable.

If you're to this point, might I suggest a mini-redo? Copy everything from the town (lots/people) you want to play with, roll a new game. Import whoever you want... this point is a great time to fix previously-uneditable sims, too, btw. Fair trade off for losing friendships in this kind of "move." But to get back to 180 open slots (as opposed to the NONE you have now) and quiet the culling monster, it's a decent for-now option.

In the new game, try not to let anybody die, delete them when their time is up instead. Keep the issue at bay for as long as possible. Forewarned is forearmed, right?

Not that I'm telling you what to do, but offering up what I would do in this position for you to consider.

As for what you said above that I bolded... OMG YES!!!!!!!!! I would rather have had MAJOR bug fixes, then a family tree, then careers, then pools. They didn't ask me, though.
  • Options
    steve7859steve7859 Posts: 3,824 Member
    Its really strange as i dont think i have ever had this issue in my game.
  • Options
    FireLax33FireLax33 Posts: 1 New Member
    all my sims relationships disappeared even there parents is there a fix to the bug
  • Options
    DarkSlayer1331DarkSlayer1331 Posts: 429 Member
    It's not a "bug"... if what happened is what I think happened. The game "culls" out Sims. Each game will only hold 180 Sims, including "townies" before it starts culling Sims. The game will then start to get rid of elders and Sims that don't have high relationships with yours. Or at least that's how it's intended to work. Sometimes it doesn't work quite like that and it actually winds up getting rid of Sims that your Sim did have some kind of relationship with. It's really crappy, but it's seen as a "feature" of the game, not a bug. However, one of the Gurus did say that they are working on the culling mechanism of the game, so we'll see if anything happens with it soon... if ever.
  • Options
    xBlackDragon7xxBlackDragon7x Posts: 173 Member
    weirder stories i guess smh...
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    FireLax33 wrote: »
    all my sims relationships disappeared even there parents is there a fix to the bug

Two things you can do, combined:
    - Install the No More Culling mod
    - Roll back your save (link in my signature to instructions)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.