Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA silence on family play and family play fans

Comments

• king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @phoebebebe13 The laptop is for general use only as I have two PCs already so don't anything else to play The Sims on lol
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    @king_of_simcity7 Don't buy that laptop if you can't return it and get a refund should the laptop be junk. That laptop does have worse specs than the cheap HP I bought at walmart. Mine had an AMD quad core which is better than the processor on the laptop you posted. Those cheap laptops, the battery does not last long. You would be better off getting a tablet with windows or without windows for travel. Walmart only had tablets without windows. I was desperate to have something to get on line with when I put my computer in storage. Not having windows , having an ssd and a quad core gets me on line allot quicker. that cheap HP I got took me forever to get on line. It ran slow. The tablet I got serves my needs though it is a pain copy and pasting anything in this forum . We have another hurricane headed our way so I am keeping my gaming desktop in storage for now until I know the path of this new hurricane.
    @phoebebebe13 I brought he laptop yesterday...
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    @king_of_simcity7 Hopefully that laptop serves your needs and if it doesn't ,I hope you can get a refund . Charge the battery and then run the laptop on battery see how long it lasts.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,185 Member
    edited September 2017
    Thrippa wrote: »
    The most annoying part of the minimum requirements is that each EP gives it as base game plus that EP only. There really ought to be a second listing for base plus all EPs up to that point, to warn people that yes, your computer may have handled the first two fine but third EP can crash things even if you exceed the listed minimums on this box, because the EPs are actually adding three times the strain included in the listed minimum.

Pets pretty much killed my Sims 3 game on my previous desktop, even though at that point I had only two other EPs and beyond the minimum listed for Pets (actually Pets plus the base). Everything loaded as gray shapes, took a long time to color up, and the game hung and stuttered enormously. Supernatural and Showtime were too much added usage for the computer to handle. I had the new computer purpose built, and as soon as I laid out my graphics, memory, etc. requirements for the guy at the shop, he asked if I was playing Sims.

It would take allot for EA to post the gray area computers that fall in between minimum and recommended . This is why some will come into the tech section here and ask. We won't recommend any new computer that does not meet the recommended requirements to insure people survive the game. There is so much computer hardware out there and you need to know how to compare the hardware. Mod the sims has a list for the sims 3 on what video cards can handle what eps. Pets is brutal. It could be a game itself and seasons not far behind. We all learned our lesson from experiences with the sims 3. The more you add, the more demanding the game becomes. Have a computer that meets the recommended requirements to survive all the add ons.

Is there a reason why some computers (Like my laptop ) . Are bellow requirements, but are able to run the game still? ( Not going install the sims 4 pets just wondering). Just the record show I have all the expansion packs installed, and Four game pack Sims 4. ( No stuff packs)Have in Sims 3 all the expansion except into the future , showtime, and Island Paradise.

If your computer can run all that, you have been lucky which does not happen often however you are putting strain on your laptop because it is not designed to run the games your forcing it to play. This can shorten the lifespan of your laptop. I can't posts links because i am on a tablet and it won't let me copy some links. You can google sims 3 wiki your computer is like a car. It explains what can happen to gaming on any computer not designed to run the tasks you are forcing it to run. 3d games like the sims will strain your computer. You will also generate allot more heat while gaming 3d games. Heat can do permanent damage to any computer if you don't have proper cooling. Laptops for general use like yours do not have proper cooling to run 3d games

Okay, will be careful.I will say gets warmer when playing the game a long time, but not hot or the whole thing.My laptop does have a vent though. So I guess my best bet is play occasionally , and just saved u[p for a desktop
    @phoebebebe13 The laptop is mostly used as an alternative to an IPad as well as to store more music on
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    Thrippa wrote: »
    The most annoying part of the minimum requirements is that each EP gives it as base game plus that EP only. There really ought to be a second listing for base plus all EPs up to that point, to warn people that yes, your computer may have handled the first two fine but third EP can crash things even if you exceed the listed minimums on this box, because the EPs are actually adding three times the strain included in the listed minimum.

Pets pretty much killed my Sims 3 game on my previous desktop, even though at that point I had only two other EPs and beyond the minimum listed for Pets (actually Pets plus the base). Everything loaded as gray shapes, took a long time to color up, and the game hung and stuttered enormously. Supernatural and Showtime were too much added usage for the computer to handle. I had the new computer purpose built, and as soon as I laid out my graphics, memory, etc. requirements for the guy at the shop, he asked if I was playing Sims.

It would take allot for EA to post the gray area computers that fall in between minimum and recommended . This is why some will come into the tech section here and ask. We won't recommend any new computer that does not meet the recommended requirements to insure people survive the game. There is so much computer hardware out there and you need to know how to compare the hardware. Mod the sims has a list for the sims 3 on what video cards can handle what eps. Pets is brutal. It could be a game itself and seasons not far behind. We all learned our lesson from experiences with the sims 3. The more you add, the more demanding the game becomes. Have a computer that meets the recommended requirements to survive all the add ons.

Is there a reason why some computers (Like my laptop ) . Are bellow requirements, but are able to run the game still? ( Not going install the sims 4 pets just wondering). Just the record show I have all the expansion packs installed, and Four game pack Sims 4. ( No stuff packs)Have in Sims 3 all the expansion except into the future , showtime, and Island Paradise.

If your computer can run all that, you have been lucky which does not happen often however you are putting strain on your laptop because it is not designed to run the games your forcing it to play. This can shorten the lifespan of your laptop. I can't posts links because i am on a tablet and it won't let me copy some links. You can google sims 3 wiki your computer is like a car. It explains what can happen to gaming on any computer not designed to run the tasks you are forcing it to run. 3d games like the sims will strain your computer. You will also generate allot more heat while gaming 3d games. Heat can do permanent damage to any computer if you don't have proper cooling. Laptops for general use like yours do not have proper cooling to run 3d games

Okay, will be careful.I will say gets warmer when playing the game a long time, but not hot or the whole thing.My laptop does have a vent though. So I guess my best bet is play occasionally , and just saved u[p for a desktop

Best thing you can do for now is get a laptop cooling pad with some fans. Coolermaster and thermaltake make some good cooling fans

If your in the uSA last I checked walmart did have a desktop for $628 that meets all requirements to run the sims 3 and 4. Prices for computers fluctuate depending on stock and what is available. It's not often I find a computer that meets all requirements in that low price range. Average is $700-800. When you buy a desktop you need to make sure you also have a a good powerful power supply. I find many computers that meet requirements but have a very low power supply which is not good.
    edited September 2017
    @king_of_simcity7 that laptop only has 64 gb hard drive space which is a small amount if your looking to use it as storage . Your windows 10 updates will take up more space too. The HP I bought originally had 500 gb hard drive space.
    @king_of_simcity7 that laptop only has 64 gb hard drive space which is a small amount if your looking to use it as storage . Your windows 10 updates will take up more space too. The HP I bought originally had 500 gb hard drive space.

I never in my personal experience of a laptop that only has 64 GB.
    edited September 2017

I never in my personal experience of a laptop that only has 64 GB.

They make cheap laptops with a small hard drive. They are more like a tablet but in laptop size so they are larger. They design them so you use cloud storage. i have two tablets one without windows and one with windows 7. Both have 64 gb storage. Having windows 7 with 64 gb storage is ok. Windows 10 takes allot to run so having a small storage is not the best idea unless your planning on using cloud storage

we have actually had people try to run this game on a tablet with very small storage. It won't work out well. Trying to play this game on a tablet is far worse than your laptop.
    edited September 2017
    Post edited by Horrorgirl6 on
  • EA_LeelooEA_Leeloo Posts: 2,019 EA Staff (retired)
    Hey Simmers,

I noticed that this discussion has veered way off topic. Thus, I'm asking you to bring things back to the original subject; the alternative is that I have to close this thread.

Thank you!
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    EA_Leeloo wrote: »
    Hey Simmers,

I noticed that this discussion has veered way off topic. Thus, I'm asking you to bring things back to the original subject; the alternative is that I have to close this thread.

Thank you!

This thread was originally very active and once toddlers arrived became less active. It veered off topic occasionally as the posters became very close and liked getting help among folks they felt comfortable with. @simgurudrake has always been very tolerant of this thread and the OP was awesome at keeping this thread as much as possible off contentious posting and arguing. It would be a crying shame to see it closed considering their is no arguing or contentious conversation going on, just puter advice. Talk with @simgurudrake before you consider that action. Please. :)

• ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited September 2017
    Don't worry everyone. *Gets thread back on topic*. Gru and Agnes and Edith playing on the new playground set. I still love the toddler pack. For sparkfairy I won't have this thread shutdown. It has been a home and oasis for many of us. I'm pretty sure there is a link already for a thread to talk about upgrading your computer specs anyways shared earlier.
    09-23-17_5-30-23_PM.png?width=736&height=414
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller

If you have any further questions post in Tech so we don't go off topic This desktop does not meet requirements. On average a computer that meets requirements runs in the $700-800 range USD
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    bekkasan wrote: »
    EA_Leeloo wrote: »
    Hey Simmers,

Thank you!

This thread was originally very active and once toddlers arrived became less active. It veered off topic occasionally as the posters became very close and liked getting help among folks they felt comfortable with. @simgurudrake has always been very tolerant of this thread and the OP was awesome at keeping this thread as much as possible off contentious posting and arguing. It would be a crying shame to see it closed considering their is no arguing or contentious conversation going on, just puter advice. Talk with @simgurudrake before you consider that action. Please. :)

Agreed. This is one of the best, most friendly threads on the entire forum. I rarely post but I always read and it would be a real shame if it were to be closed.
  • EA_SpectreEA_Spectre Posts: 263 EA Administrator
    edited September 2017
    We just really love to see all your family pictures and read what happend in your games ... ;)

But most importantly, we want to get your feedback.
    edited September 2017
    @EA_Spectre @EA_Leeloo This thread was created before EA added toddlers. I believe SimGuruDrake decided to just leave the thread and let it continue about toddler pictures even though it is no longer technically a feedback thread since toddlers got added. Everyone who has been posting in this thread along time knows to find this thread in feedback
    @EA_Spectre Nice that you are taking players feedback :smile: You have more than 1000 pages to get through though! :smiley:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    @EA_Spectre Nice that you are taking players feedback :smile: You have more than 1000 pages to get through though! :smiley:

This is very true LOL
  • Frogprincess_qFrogprincess_q Posts: 1,269 Member
    I finally grabbed the Parenting Gamepack. I only have toddlers at this stage, but parenting them feels a lot more realistic, lol. Take your eyes off them for 5 seconds and chaos ensures rather rapidly!
    Edits made and not mentioned will be for typos.

- Froggie
    1nr15n0.jpg
    WIP: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/851667/australian-world-version-1-0-uploaded/p1
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited September 2017
    I finally grabbed the Parenting Gamepack. I only have toddlers at this stage, but parenting them feels a lot more realistic, lol. Take your eyes off them for 5 seconds and chaos ensures rather rapidly!

I think they got the randomness pretty right with Parenthood as well. Like not all of my kids and teens tend to go through the same mood swings. When Hank, my painter and creative sim, was a teen he had so many moodswings (which fit his character very well), but his brother and sister didn't. My current social kid goes through a loud phase rather frequently but her sister doesn't. I hope she'll have a lot of moodswings too, just like her dad :) anyhoo, I think it's very well done :)
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    edited September 2017
    Perhaps sparkfairy wouldn't mind the thread being closed now that she has achieved what she set out to do?

Personally, I think it has been quite sad to see the thread going off topic and used for other things; there are plenty of other threads for that. I always liked knowing that I could pop in here any time to see what people have been up to with their toddlers and families and finding out news of new stuff for families, seeing people's opinions on the latest family releases.

May those little cuties get many more things each time a pack is released!
    01-14-17_1-46-35%C2%A0PM.png?dl=0
    @elanorbreton Cute toddler picture :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • ThrippaThrippa Posts: 678 Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »

I think they got the randomness pretty right with Parenthood as well. Like not all of my kids and teens tend to go through the same mood swings. When Hank, my painter and creative sim, was a teen he had so many moodswings (which fit his character very well), but his brother and sister didn't. My current social kid goes through a loud phase rather frequently but her sister doesn't. I hope she'll have a lot of moodswings too, just like her dad :) anyhoo, I think it's very well done :)

That's good to hear. One of my concerns about the pack was due to Generations' mandating teen rebellion in teenagers, so that you had to always watch for the message and cheat to remove the moodlet if you didn't think that particular teen was the rebellious sort. Plus the hard curfew that meant even teens with jobs would get brought home by the police, grounded and all the attendant family upsets. I haven't played with the Parenthood pack, yet, was waiting to see what other people thought. I did get the Toddler Stuff and modified a park to add a junior play area. What I'm really waiting for is Pets so I can add a flatcoat in several families!
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top