March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A Thorny Legacy: Ch.26 (Dec 19)

DeeWrayngedDeeWraynged Posts: 102 Member
Hi everybody! Today I got a notification telling me I've officially moved up from New Member to Member. This means that I am now able to post links and images in the forum - yay!!! Unfortunately, I could not edit the first page of my previous thread, so I thought I would make a brand new thread with direct links to my blog and to the individual chapters, for much easier access to my Differences in the Family Tree Legacy story! A huge gigantic thank you to all the members who liked my posts & chatted with me so I could get my post count up, contributing to me getting the much needed 50 points!

Anywho, without much further ado ... I present A Thorny Legacy - my first (but definitely not last) attempt at documenting a Sim legacy story ^^

Latest Chapter: Chapter 26: A weekend of Love
(links to individual previous chapters can be found in previous post)

*NEW* For regularity's sake this blog will now be updated Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays! ^^
Post edited by DeeWraynged on

Comments

• AkramAAkramA Posts: 2,717 Member
    Congrats for the member link thingy hehe, I still can't have my signature either, I think we need to be here for 6 weeks or something to be able to post on wall and have signature.

For your legacy story, been following yours, it's going great.
    I also write non sims stuff on Wattpad
  • DeeWrayngedDeeWraynged Posts: 102 Member
    @AkramA Well, that clears things up :p

And thank you for the comment on my legacy. I'm so glad you're enjoying the read so far :)
    Chapter 13 is up :)
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,088 Member
    Oh, gosh! I love his purple socks! When I change appearance, I always leave their default clothing as the first option. Then I add four additional ones in every category. Perhaps it's my superstition, but I always believe that their default clothes represent their own true choices and somehow express who their inherent nature! Purple socks (or are they even tights?)... maybe that's Sri's true self!

Oh! I've had that same thing happen at a wedding where a guy who thought he should be the groom is so upset-looking to be there as a guest! I think it's truly how the Sim feels, not us reading things into it! Once I had this guy (Baby Babcock) become really sad and upset looking when his friend (Acacia, whom he was once courting) told him that she was going to be having her husband's baby!

Sri and CeeCee are so sweet at the wedding! They seem like a great couple!

And a gold medal on your first wedding party! Wow! Congratulations!

This is going to be such a fun generation to read. Sri's aspiration will make for some interesting stories! Poor guy! His aspiration just doesn't seem to fit his nature!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    @CathyTea Now that you mention it ... purple socks actually do seem quite fitting for Sri. I already edited his appearance but I'll keep this default option in mind for later sims. I really like your approach to the sims...it's very different than mine - I tend to control every aspect of the Sims -but I've been thinking a lot about what you've said in this forum and also your reflection posts throughout your Goofy Love Legacy. You've given me a whole new perspective and approach to the Sims that I never considered. It's already starting to change my gameplay experience: I find playing the Sims much more enjoyable than before (I always got super bored of playing the Sims within sim-hours of creating a family ... but now my interest just keeps building and building!) and I also find myself growing closer to my pixel characters.

I didn't know we could add aditional outfits, though ... whenever I go into CAS I can just choose one outfit for each category. How can I add more options for each category??

Awww, poor Baby Babcock! That must have been heartbreaking for him :(
    Since I've played a lot since this chapter, I'm thinking that Deandre is actually grossed out by the drink rather than sad to see CeeCee marrying someone else hahaha.

I do think I lucked out on the wedding challenges though, they were all fairly easy. It seems like I have worse luck with birthday challenges (have yet to get the gold medal).

I'm glad that you're enjoying the read so far, but I must caution you as to the upcoming chapters ... things are going to take a turn for the worse. I'm controlling these generations an awful lot in order to complete as many objectives (even the optional ones) as possible! I think that the 4th generation heir will have more autonomy than the previous heirs due to that generation's challenges.
    It seems like this particular type of legacy really does demand a style of play where you need to arrange all sorts of events! It makes for a really fascinating story to read!

With the additional outfits, click the dresser to "Plan Outfit." Then in CAS, over in the right, where it shows the icons for everyday, formal, athletic, etc., click up near the top... I think there's an arrow, but I can't remember. Just click around up there. The menu will expand, and you'll see five slots! Each outfit has five slots! Just click the number 2, then you can set the second outfit, and so on.

I give all my Sims five outfits of every type, and I find they choose different ones at different times. It always cracks me up to see what they choose!

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    @CathyTea It really does :) I really feel that my style of play will eventually grow to a balance between control for the sake of story-telling and autonomy for the sake of enjoyable game-play. Right now I'm still more in the realm of control because it's how I've always played and habits are hard to break, but documenting the story has taught me a lot about Sims - it forced me to look deeper into Sims; maybe it's because of having to zoom in so close to take pictures, but I've really began noticing all these details that were previously lost to me when playing without taking pictures.

Thanks for the tip! I always modified my Sims via the mirror (Change Appearance) so maybe that's why I never saw it. Or maybe I just never looked hard enough. I'll make sure to take a look at that next time I play :)
    Chapter 14 is now up! :D
    edited November 2014
    chapter 15 is now up! Also now I'll be updating every second day, excluding the weekend. I have a lot of work at college - two big assignments and an in-class test coming up for the last week of the semester and then I have finals to study for - so this posting schedule will give me plenty of time to work on my assignments, study and play without feeling the (self-imposed)pressure of constantly updating ^^
    Post edited by DeeWraynged on
    Nice chapter! Alba Rose is beautiful! I really like Sri. Good luck wrapping up the semester!

Thank you! :)
    Chapter 16 is up! ^^
    Your story have been going great, can't wait for alba to grow up.
    Oh, boy... intrigue! Poor Sri having to be mean to others! I bet he just hates it! Such a case of the aspiration not fitting the Sim! His sister is cute.

• aroseinbloomaroseinbloom Posts: 3,456 Member
    So, I just read your whole legacy. I really enjoyed it. I like the narrative you've fallen into and I'm very curious about CeeCee's relationship with Sri. I look forward to what you have up your sleeve!
    Thank you guys so much for your supportive comments. They mean a lot! <3

Next update on Friday: get ready for loads for drama :open_mouth:
    Chapter 17 is up! There's also a short aside but it's only my musings on the events of the chapter and not necessary to read for the later chapters ^^
    Oh Drama! >:) Alba is so cute though!
    Chapter 17: My, oh my! So complicated!

And, oh, I'm so glad that you wrote your musings on Sim Romance! Yes! I love to hear about this! It rings so true with my experience in trying to hook my Sims up with the Sims that I like. It won't work--they've got to choose their own Sims, in their own time! And it's interesting that you're discovering this in challenge that forces your Sims into actions that they wouldn't take on their own. I've made similar discoveries when I play with the goal of letting my Sims make the big decisions (love, romance, marriage, kids), but I always wonder... I mean, I could have nudged them or forced them to take a different route, and would they be happy with it? You're discovering that if forced to go a direction they don't want to go, the Sims will reject it.

By the way, as a reader, I absolutely LOVE musings about game-play, writing, Sims, and life! I like that even more than the stories, I must admit! So thanks for writing that chapter!

@CathyTea At first I was going to write the reflection just for myself, as a sort of 'note to self' for the future but then it just developed into a rant on its own so I thought why not post it. I've read all of your asides for your Goofy Love Legacy and I learned something new each time. If someone reading my legacy decides to read this aside and learns something from it, more power to them!

I think a Sim forced into a romance will eventually be happy, but as a Simmer that's so much less satisfying than watching them meet their own romantic interest and fall in love on their own (or with some gentle nudges on our part). I know that I was really excited for the romance between CeeCee and Deandre and the fact that I had to push them into it was a total turn off, even though they eventually got with the program and were "in love" afterward. I know that I won't be initiating any more romantic interactions between those two and I certainly won't be repeating this mistake, hehe ^^
    Yeah, if they let you get away with that! Now that they've tasted forbidden fruit, they may want to keep that romance going! I'm currently faced with a Sim (Willow, my spare) who's just not interested in romance! She's met several great guys--the game keeps generating Sims with shared or compatible traits wherever she goes. But she's more interested in her career! I've tried a few gentle nudges, but nothing's taken yet. I really want her to get together with this goofball, but it seems like she's deciding on a career-focused life as a comedian.

I finished reading your new post too. I also really love how real TS4 is. And, I really love how you don't like pushing two sims into a relationship. But that is actually all the things I have done lately. Fortunately, I've never been rejected at my legacy (unless I wanted it to be rejected for a story purpose). Maybe I read too many carlsims4guide relationship and romance guide so "making love" is kind of easy-"er", maybe even easier than TS3 especially using their emotion.
  • aroseinbloomaroseinbloom Posts: 3,456 Member
    I'm finding this to be really true with Peyton, Gen 5 heir. I'll be updating my blog in a day or two, but she is really proving to be...'interesting' in her choices. I love it, though...just letting her do her thing. It's not something I would have done in the past, but I'm learning that they really do tell you how they feel.

Also, great update!
    @CathyTea Heheheh I nipped that in the bud. Deandre comes over autonomously a lot less now ... you'll see why in the next chapter ;)
    Hahahah that Willow is sure dedicated! :p Good thing she's the spare and not the heir otherwise you'd be panicking!
    I'm sure that when she's far ahead enough in her career she'll start having romantic wishes! That, or when she meets that perfect someone ;)

@AkramA I used to never care if Sims were forced into something or not haha. Before I'd always pick the Sim I liked and rolled with it. But this chapter made me realize that maybe I've evolved as a player. Now I really want to take the time and see where my Sim takes me.
    Oh no, I'll make sure I stay clear of carl's romance and relationship guides xD I love his gardening guide, but I do want romance to hold some mystery for me still xP

@roseinbloom Oooh, you've piqued my interest! I have your legacy in a 'to read' folder and I'm really excited to get started on it. I'm not letting myself start reading legacies right now until my semester & exams are over ... it's really tough u_u