Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

We care! Supporting Simmers going through hard times.

Comments

• stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    @stilljustme2 I'm sorry your mom is having so much trouble getting her info to the right people! It's hard when you are going everything right but someone else isn't. She is lucky to have such caring people in her life to help deal with the issue! Hopefully things get figured out soon. I'm glad things are going well for your BIL. :)

@charlotteprice I found myself relating to your post a lot, as well as laughing because it's so true!

It's actually my husband's mom, but I guess she counts as mine too since she's the only parent we've got left (both my parents are long gone, and his dad passed in 2010 and he was her primary caregiver/advocate). Got home a short time ago from spending a couple of hours helping her with some stuff on her iPad, and I'm exhausted; the seats at Starbucks (where we met so we could use the free WiFi -- I got the table while my husband picked her up and pushed her wheelchair the few blocks to get to the store) weren't all that comfortable, and I'm mentally drained as well. But accomplished quite a bit even though she had trouble seeing the screen somewhat; we're concerned about her eyesight now but she's got an appointment with an ophthalmologist next month to discuss options (she may need some eye surgery to improve matters).
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I just want everyone to know that I am thinking of you, prayers go out for all of you, and imaginary hugs to you all too!
    I have this thread bookmarked. I don't really reply, but want you all to know that I understand. I feel your pain.

I can tell my memory is slipping away, I blame it on old age, LOL. I usually do not repeat something that someone told me anymore, because I don't remember exactly what they said and I am not one to start rumors, drama, or lies. I just honestly don't remember! I really don't want another MRI just to see how many lesions are lit up in my brain!

People park in handicapped parking for a reason. Just because I can actually walk doesn't mean I shouldn't park in that spot! I just got my sticker about 4 years ago. I cant walk far without being exhausted. I cant walk or stand long without my legs wanting to lock up on me. I drive to work with one eye open sometimes (they get blurry at times, usually on the days I take my injections). Sometimes my balance is not that good. When you have an *invisible* disease, people think there is nothing wrong with you ( I know because I was one of those people).
    Oh, and why do people place their empty buggies in the handicapped spots instead of the cart corral? This just bugs me! The cart corral can be two spots over but they will turn around and walk over and leave them in the handicapped spot!

I don't remember what I was leading up to now! LOL. I know there was something I wanted to say though :s I hate it when that happens!

We just take it a day at a time, I do anyway. We never know what tomorrow will bring. We don't know why it happens to us. But there is a reason and we may not ever know!

Have a good day everyone!

I had to report a bus driver who hassled a passenger over using the discount card reserved for seniors/disabled -- he was saying she "didn't look disabled". Turns out she had a heart condition and the meds she took kept her from getting a driver's license so that's why she qualified for the disabled discount card. My husband was also a driver at the time and I got mad because I knew he would never treat a passenger like that, plus there's a lot of paperwork involved in getting one of those cards and they verify the paperwork pretty closely (the card actually has the owner's picture on it so it's not like you can steal someone's card and easily use it) so I sent a complaint through the website (I went anonymous since a lot of drivers knew me because of my husband). And I hate when people leave their carts in the middle of a parking spot -- they do it in all parking spots around here, not just the disabled access ones! We have similar issues when we take my mother-in-law places, since she's in a wheelchair so we need the parking place with space on the right to get her in and out of the car (using a transfer board to get her from one seat to the other).

Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,584 Member
    I feel for your situaation, but if you live in the US, have you every tried going on welfare? Or getting food stamps? You should look into getting SSI since you are ill and disabled!

http://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-eligibility-ussi.htm

Yes, we used to have foodstamps but stopped getting it for some reason. My husband just reapplied last week with his new income so we are hoping to get it again. It would help a lot because with my issues I'm supposed to eat low carb but carbs are by far the cheapest!

I know when I applied for disability it had a check mark asking if I wanted to apply for SSI too, but I was denied that too because my conditions are not considered disabling. I am hoping if my hearing goes well I can reapply for SSI and be eligible for that too. But thank you very much for thinking about me posting the link! Now others can look into it too.

I hope that you are able to get food stamps again and that your hearing goes well.
    Hello @stilljustme2 I hope that your mother in law's appointment with the ophthalmologist next month will lead to help to improve her eye sight. There may be eye drops that can help as well as eye surgery.
    As the sun rises to start a new day and then the sun sets in the evening, may you have the strength that you need just for that day. May we take one day at a time, even sometimes just an hour at a time, and may the beauty that is contained in the colours of a sunrise and sunset encourage your heart.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited November 2014
    Wow thank you for starting this! I am constantly amazed by the supportive people on this site. Reading through everyone's stories has me in tears!

As for me, I've been chronically ill my whole 27 years. I have applied for disability three times since 2011 and have been denied each time, I am now waiting on a hearing. I can't work and my husband tries to support us but had his hours cut to part time (they simply don't need anyone in his position full time anymore). I don't have health insurance and even with the new ACA can't get any because we actually don't make enough for a subsidy! Financially we are supposed to get medicaid but in our state you can't unless you have a child. Unfortunately I miscarried our only child Jesse a little over two years ago. Now my doctor has ordered $1,100 worth of bloodwork and tests that we have no way to pay for. My symptoms are worsening and I have no hope for treatment until I get these tests done. I can't sleep half the time and when I do it's not restful. I am in constant pain that is not managed. I have pain meds for endometriosis but I can't use them for this pain or I won't have any when that flares. I'm not allowed to take any OTC meds like motrin or advil. I am being treated for depression but it is only getting worse. There are times I think things I know I shouldn't, like why even bother going on as my situation only gets worse never better. My mother set up a gofundme campaign for me to see if we could raise the $1100 but have only raised $350 so far. I am extremely thankful for everyone who has donated but I'm just not sure how much longer I can go on like this. When I'm feeling particularly bad I try and look at this picture and it does help some.

rough-days1.jpg?w=682

I hope you can find what you need. Depression treatment is hard; having been there and having been caregiver to people who are there, I just can't understand how it doesn't itself get classed as a disability.

But mostly I wanted to say that I love that image SO MUCH. Thank you for including it at the end. I've just bookmarked it for my rough days, which are mostly the result of being oversensitive to the moods of those I am caring for, so that their rough days become mine, even when their days are really only roughish.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    Hello @luthienrising. You sound a very caring person. Thankyou for the caring support that you give to those you are caring for and may you too be encouraged and supported by others in your daily life too.
    ( The image that frozenorangejuic posted hasn't been showing up for me. I am glad that it is helpful for you )
  • altad1altad1 Posts: 1,091 Member
    This is such a beautiful thread. I truly believe that given the chance people want to help in any way they can. I think we all gain experience through life and if we can share that experience and it can help someone else then the world is a better place.

Depression is an invisible illness that I've experienced and if in telling my story can help anyone I'm happy to.

I was diagnosed with post natal depression after my second child was born nearly 19 years ago. Unfortunately it became severe to the point I tried to end my life. I'd had a good day and had met some friends for a coffee then suddenly it felt like the bottom had fallen out of my world. I had to get a train home and on the journey I decided that the only way out was taking my life, my husband and two young children would be better off without me. The station I get off at is at the end of the line, so I stood under the bridge waiting for the train to start up again convinced I was doing the right thing. Luckily a man out walking his dog saw me and simply said "I don't think you really want to do that, you should go home." Well it did break that moment for me, and I went home, I think I cried for days, and these feelings are still so clear to me 18 years on from then, and thankfully I've never gone back there.

I went back to my doctor who referred me to a psychiatrist and that was the best thing that could have happened. He diagnosed event related bi-polar disorder and put me on the right meds for it, it was only then I was able to recognise the cycles that my moods were going through, from depressed to manically happy to absolute rage. This is where the control freak in me came into her own, I analysed every thought I had it felt like my brain and my emotions had got divorced and I had to find a way to get them back together. My psychiatrist asked what I was interested in, I'd always been interested in Egyptology, and to be honest when he suggested I enrol in a part time university course I thought he'd lost his mind, but I did. It did take two people to push me through the door of the class on the first day but I was glad they did. It gave me something to concentrate my mind on and forced me to get out of the house. I passed that course and ended up studying Egyptology, Classics and Anthropology. This didn't cure depression but it did help. Sometimes it was hard to get up and go, and get assignments in on time and there were times when the paranoia would kick in and I was sure that no one wanted me in the class, and there was one time when I had a full blown panic attack on the way to class, and was stuck on the underground (subway) going round in circles for what felt like hours. I'd got it into my head that if I stood up to get off I'd fall flat on my face and get caught in the doors. Eventually I grabbed hold of the coat of a poor man getting off at the stop I wanted and kind of let him pull me out the train. I can laugh about it now although I'm not sure that man would.

I found that no matter what the cause of my depression was it raised things that I hadn't even considered as issues. Things from childhood and onwards, things I didn't even realise I was angry about. I think that's one of the most insidious things about depression it can trap us in our past because the reason for our anger isn't always still around to confront. I found writing it down in a letter or a list whatever seemed most appropriate helped. I'd call it my s.o.d it letter, because sometime we just have to get it out there and let it go, but I think it's important to acknowledge the feeling.

I took a good few years but I did get to the stage where I was medication free. I began to recognise reasons when I'd feel down, and knew when I was feeling paranoid that I just had to push through it, and the panic attacks were gone.

For me the last stage of it was realising that depression had changed the way I thought and processed these thoughts. I was lucky there was a Cognitive Behavioural Therapist locally and this helped me so much. I learned to say I can instead of I can't, and move forward with life.

I hope you don't mind me posting this. If anyone going through this illness now can find any help in it then I'm glad, and if anyone feels they want to talk or vent about how they are feeling feel free to PM me. I promise I'm not usually so long winded.

Hello @altad1 Thankyou so very much for expressing here your experiences with depression. It will be very helpful for people who are going through depression as well as for those who are caring for them. I send lots of special thoughts to you. It is so very kind of you to write here to help others in similar situations. I will keep you in my thoughts.
  • jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    This may not be anything big but the last week every night I've gotten very tired, like my entire body feel exhausted, and I have to take a nap. I can't explain it really well but I feel like I'm barely able to hold my body together, if I let up it will just collapse completely. I'm having really bad headaches and my vision gets blurry and dizzy. I also feel nauseated. Normally I'd chalk these sort of things up to allergies but it's more draining than that and seems to be getting progressively worse every day. Oddly enough during the day I seem to be able to function but around 7 PM or so I'm completely useless. Also it seems that I'm feeling different parts of my body go numb at different times throughout as well as being sore. The numb/soreness is all day, and the headaches also do come and go during the entire day.

This evening though I blacked out and found myself on the kitchen floor. While I don't appear to have any serious injuries (I'm on here now after all) it does have me worried and wondering if I should go to the dr. The only thing is I have had to take a lot of time off due to dental implants and I don't have that many days left to take. I don't know if I should try to stick it out or not though? Just worried and while I think I may take off tomorrow I wanted to share. My SO had a surprisingly less than sympathetic ear, with his advice just to go to bed, but then again he's coming off a case of shingles so he's also not up to par.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
    edited November 2014
    -removed-

Please don't kill yourself. Although life is hard for you, it will get better and you have had a bad day. It is good to let your emotions flood out and to express how you are feeling. By letting it out, you can feel better inside. Your parents and siblings do muchly love you, and would be so very , very heart broken if you weren't here. I know that things seem bad and hard now, but please hang in there. Keep posting here whenever you feel like expressing how you are feeling. We will be here to listen. I care very much how you are feeling. Please post again. Sending lots of special thoughts. I am thinking of you.

edited November 2014
    rosemow wrote: »
    -removed-

Please don't kill yourself. Although life is hard for you, it will get better and you have had a bad day. It is good to let your emotions flood out and to express how you are feeling. By letting it out, you can feel better inside. Your parents and siblings do muchly love you, and would be so very , very heart broken if you weren't here. I know that things seem bad and hard now, but please hang in there. Keep posting here whenever you feel like expressing how you are feeling. We will be here to listen. I care very much how you are feeling. Please post again. Sending lots of special thoughts. I am thinking of you.

While I'm in this thread I'd like to add to this. MelanieSimlish, please remember that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. You definitely sound like you've had it rough, and I completely respect that you feel you have, but there is so much in life to look forward to. You are young and life has many wonderful surprises in store for you, but you need to be around to see them. If you ever feel like you're getting to that edge again I strongly encourage you to look up one of likely many phone help lines and counseling lines to help you through. Or look at this thread and know there are people who don't even really know you that want you to be around. Just keep trying and don't give up.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • MelanieSimlishMelanieSimlish Posts: 4,432 Member
    edited November 2014
    Thank you @rosemow and @jcp011c2. Not feeling a whole lot of support from the staff since my post got removed and yours probably will too, but I'm glad I came here and read it before it did. You're right, my family does love me and I know they do but sometimes I just wish they could be here for me. I know they're going through their own stuff too though and my family is awful at expressing their feelings. It's very frustrating sometimes. I need to find a way to deal with it though, instead of letting myself get so upset about it. Again thank you so much for answering. I feel a bit better now.
    44444.gif
    jcp011c2 wrote: »
    This may not be anything big but the last week every night I've gotten very tired, like my entire body feel exhausted, and I have to take a nap. I can't explain it really well but I feel like I'm barely able to hold my body together, if I let up it will just collapse completely. I'm having really bad headaches and my vision gets blurry and dizzy. I also feel nauseated. Normally I'd chalk these sort of things up to allergies but it's more draining than that and seems to be getting progressively worse every day. Oddly enough during the day I seem to be able to function but around 7 PM or so I'm completely useless. Also it seems that I'm feeling different parts of my body go numb at different times throughout as well as being sore. The numb/soreness is all day, and the headaches also do come and go during the entire day.

This evening though I blacked out and found myself on the kitchen floor. While I don't appear to have any serious injuries (I'm on here now after all) it does have me worried and wondering if I should go to the dr. The only thing is I have had to take a lot of time off due to dental implants and I don't have that many days left to take. I don't know if I should try to stick it out or not though? Just worried and while I think I may take off tomorrow I wanted to share. My SO had a surprisingly less than sympathetic ear, with his advice just to go to bed, but then again he's coming off a case of shingles so he's also not up to par.

I really do think that you need to see a doctor to find out what is happening to your body and what the cause of it is. The doctor will be able to do tests and discover why you are tired, having bad headaches, having numbness, blurry vision, blacking out and feeling so sick. You need to see a doctor because you don't sound too well at all. They would all be symptoms together.
    I will be thinking of you and please let us know how you are feeling and what the doctor says. I am sorry that you are feeling unwell.

edited November 2014
    SelenaGrey wrote: »

If your body is giving up on you it's time to see a doctor hun. Please, take care of yourself and make an appointment right away. Your doctor will most likely draw some blood and you shouldn't have to take more than a day off work, maybe even just the afternoon. You can sit on your hands at work while waiting for results. :)

Thank you. I will try and see if I can't get seen tomorrow. I've been relatively tired due to allergies for years, but not like this; and the blacking thing out really scares me. I doubt my body is really giving up on me, but it sure makes me feel like it is.

Thank you as well @rosemow. The thoughts are really appreciated. Hopefully it's nothing too serious and I'm just doing my usual over-worrying bit.
  • frozenorangejuicfrozenorangejuic Posts: 1,830 Member
    @MelanieSimlish I didn't see your original post so don't know what you're dealing with, but I'm glad you came here and you feel a little better now. Did you know that the saying "blood is thicker than water" originally meant the opposite of what it does now? Blood referred to people you chose to become blood brothers with, or who fought with you on the battlefield. Water referred to amniotic fluid (the "water" when a pregnant woman's water breaks) or family. Family is certainly important and they should support you, but friends (both IRL and online) can offer support just as well, if not better sometimes. :)
  • trintastictrintastic Posts: 323 Member
    @MelanieSimlish - If you posted a suicide threat, I'm going to guess that legalities interfere with leaving that sort of thing up there. I'd say the fact that the responses were left alone does indeed show support.

@jcp011c2 - A friend of my husband went through something similar for a while, and ended up in the ER. It turns out that he has several ulcers that were causing internal bleeding, and the weakness was related to loss of blood.

@the person way back in the beginning who was having a hard time with different family members pulling you different directions: Don't let them put you in the middle. It's easy to feel like you don't have a choice, but when you're feeling pressure, gently tell them that you love everyone involved. Assure them that you understand and respect the viewpoint of the person you're speaking with, but that you won't choose sides because both parties are important to you.

@everyone - I'm saying prayers for each of you. I hope your times get smoother, and you're able to find some happiness and calm each day.
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    To everyone, my prayers sent out to all of you!

I became very tired where I was sleeping 10-12 hours a day. I knew something was wrong, but didn't know what it was. I tried looking up my symptoms online, and that is such a waste! I didn't go to the doctor till I lost vision in one eye. My family dr. sent to me see the eye dr. He didn't see anything wrong with my eyes (after several test) but it showed something behind the eyes.......so a neurologist was recommended. That Dr. knew right away what I had, and ordered more test. I went back home and checked online and sure enough, my symptoms were there. All test verified I had MS. No one I know of in my family history has it, I was the one blessed with it, LOL. Back almost 27 years ago half my face went numb, neurologist said test showed a "sinus pocket" and wanted to follow me up. I never went back because I didn't have insurance then. They can put me back to that time that it was MS and said they could go back further if I could remember anything else. My neurologist put me on injections right away because I had it so long that I was almost to the progressive stage which means there is nothing you can do when you get to that point. I take medicine for a few other things too. Its no fun taking high doses of injections, and other pills, but I do what I must do to keep going. I have a bunch of kids (not a grandma yet either) and I just think of them when I feel down. No one understands the "hidden illness's" people have. But when I relapse, my kids are there bringing the walker to me and waiting on me! They help out around the house if I ask them but I push myself more that I should, which leads to more exhaustion. They are teens, what can I say, LOL.

Stress just made my things worse. I had to learn to de-stress myself. It was not easy. I always raised my voice to get my point across, argue when I felt like it, LOL. It was a lot of work, but when I realized stress was causing relapses also, I got rid of those people. Yes, family members to. I know its easy to do that if you don't live with them, but when you do its almost impossible. My husband would let things go in one ear and out the other over the years when I ranted and carried on. Once I stopped, he started (go figure) He tried to get me going, I just let it go in one ear and out the other!

Nothing or no-one is worth loosing your/ a life! There is way to much support out there. Sometimes you keep going strong for your kids, or your pets, or anything special to you. But you keep going.

There are a lot of places out there that will help you with finances. My injections are VERY expensive even after insurance pays their part. There are funds set up at sites to help with that, depending on what you have. Don't be afraid to ask!

I am not saying anyone has my health issues, I am just saying to go get checked. It does no good trying to guess your problems at all, and definitely not good to shove it under the rug and wait till something major happens like I did.

I might miss an injection now and then, or even miss taking my pills. My memory is not so good. Now I have learned to resort to other ways to remember to take them. I don't always follow my diet (I just cant give up my chocolate) but the meds are working good.......for now!

Its not easy, nothing in life has been easy for me anyway. If it weren't for my kids, I don't know how I would have coped, LOL

Just remember, everyone is loved and their life is worth everything!
    Thank you @rosemow and @jcp011c2. Not feeling a whole lot of support from the staff since my post got removed and yours probably will too, but I'm glad I came here and read it before it did. You're right, my family does love me and I know they do but sometimes I just wish they could be here for me. I know they're going through their own stuff too though and my family is awful at expressing their feelings. It's very frustrating sometimes. I need to find a way to deal with it though, instead of letting myself get so upset about it. Again thank you so much for answering. I feel a bit better now.

They probably have a policy they're required to follow. But I'm glad some people saw this first. A lot of us have thought about what you did and pulled back from the edge; a lot of us have watched what happens to survivors when someone hasn't pulled back. If you ever need to reach out just a little bit, there are lots of here. Sometimes it's people you don't really know who can be a safe space for you.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.

If your body is giving up on you it's time to see a doctor hun. Please, take care of yourself and make an appointment right away. Your doctor will most likely draw some blood and you shouldn't have to take more than a day off work, maybe even just the afternoon. You can sit on your hands at work while waiting for results. :)

Thank you. I will try and see if I can't get seen tomorrow. I've been relatively tired due to allergies for years, but not like this; and the blacking thing out really scares me. I doubt my body is really giving up on me, but it sure makes me feel like it is.

Thank you as well @rosemow. The thoughts are really appreciated. Hopefully it's nothing too serious and I'm just doing my usual over-worrying bit.

You can't be overworrying if you blacked out. Off to the doctor with you!
  • Kaike78Kaike78 Posts: 414 Member
    jcp011c2- Hopefully you will get to a doctor and get checked out before it gets much worse. *crosses fingers with hopes that you'll be ok*

MelanieSimlish- I didn't see your original post but if you ever get to the point to where you don't want to keep going, talk to someone. Life can be unbearable at times, but it is worth sticking around.

"Yes: I am a dreamer. For a dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world."

-Oscar Wilde

• take0nmetake0nme Posts: 3,682 Member
    edited November 2014
    @selenagrey

This makes me so sad, you're among my favorite people here and I hate to know of you being ill, so I hope whatever it is the Doc has a good plan for you.

As for me,

I was in my first car wreck the other day and luckily I am here, my birthday is on Saturday and I almost didn't make it. I ended up in the ER last night with a possible fracture to my wrist (couldn't see in xray because of placement of pain and the fact that it could be hidden under a bunch of other bones according to the doc) I'm sore all over but again, just thankful it wasn't worse and that I'm here with you all and my family today.

Thank you for this thread <3
    DyFJE8G.jpg
    The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Gallery ID : sharipants
    take0nme wrote: »
    @selenagrey

This makes me so sad, you're among my favorite people here and I hate to know of you being ill, so I hope whatever it is the Doc has a good plan for you.

As for me,

I was in my first car wreck the other day and luckily I am here, my birthday is on Saturday and I almost didn't make it. I ended up in the ER last night with a possible fracture to my wrist (couldn't see in xray because of placement of pain and the fact that it could be hidden under a bunch of other bones according to the doc) I'm sore all over but again, just thankful it wasn't worse and that I'm here with you all and my family today.

Thank you for this thread <3

Oh my goodness! I'm so glad you are alright hun! *BIG HUGS* You are one of my favorite posters as well!

I hope you are relaxing with some strong pain killers ahaha.

Yes ma'am I'm floating right now. ahaha thank you hun <3

I have a road trip on Friday to visit my best friend for my birthday weekend and its a 3.5 hour drive..I am nervous about getting back on the road, I haven't driven since. I'm not nervous about my driving, it's the people not paying attention that I will be even MORE cautious of. Seriously, how do people become so negligent behind the wheel?

DyFJE8G.jpg

@everyone

I'd spend all day quoting everyone's stories and troubles and I just want you all to know that I care about you and I hope whatever you're struggling with comes to pass, there has to be a rainbow at the end of that storm you're dealing with. All my best wishes and support.
    DyFJE8G.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top