March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Poll: Are you a casual or hardcore gamer?

Comments

• JoenielJoeniel Posts: 727 Member
    Well since the title has changed :p I'm more a hardcore gaymer. Games with a lot of gore and violence. Of course eventually I'll return to those pretty and innocent Wii games like Mario's. lol

Side note: This doesn't mean that I'm the same violent in real life helloooo! Many people shares that noobish idea.
    gatitos_zps08y2lsrh.gif
  • Coffefreak4LifeCoffefreak4Life Posts: 8,082 Member
    Games I more or less regulary play besides Sims 4:

Skyrim
    Torchlight II
    Fallout New Vegas
    Crusader Kings II
    Mass Effect 3

I also have a bunch of other games, but since all my favorite games take a LONG time to play (or have no given ending, like Sims) I tend to focus on those I REALLY like.

Ive looked into Crusader Kings a while back but what separates it from the Europa Universeralis Series ?
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    SelenaGrey wrote: »
    I see the thread's title has been changed. :wink:

bc people are throwing hissy fits and i'd rather keep my thread open ;)
    People are not throwing hissy fits, they are correcting you. ;)
    Besides this thread is off topic and will most likely get moved to the new OT section.

I'm not talking about you, someone literally said gamers are basically immature children who need to grow up.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    I see the thread's title has been changed. :wink:

bc people are throwing hissy fits and i'd rather keep my thread open ;)
    People are not throwing hissy fits, they are correcting you. ;)
    Besides this thread is off topic and will most likely get moved to the new OT section.

I'm not talking about you, someone literally said gamers are basically immature children who need to grow up.

Meh it's not off topic. I'm trying to see what the average simmer is like and what games they enjoy so I can better get in touch with the sims community. I can see how it'd be a bit off topic but I doubt it'd get moved. Even if it did oh well.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • EsnesNommocEsnesNommoc Posts: 1,243 Member
    I'm not THAT hardcore since I tend to just play games the way I want to play - for fun. I don't go crazy about strategy and stuff. :wink: I can be considered a casual gamer since - I just play games for fun. Though I play a *lot* of games. :blush:
  • KrayzieStrykerKrayzieStryker Posts: 2,646 Member
    Me Hardcore aye, i spend more gaming than in RL sometimes i even forget to sleep lol and thats not so good for my work :p
  • PurpleKachinaPurpleKachina Posts: 4,159 Member
    edited November 2014
    Ok here's my list:

The Legend of Zelda <3
    A Link to the Past, Links Awakening, Ocarina of Time, Majoras Mask, Twilight Princess and The Minish Cap
    Super Mario <3
    1, 2, 3, The Lost Levels, World 1 & 2, Galaxy 1 & 2 and Super Mario Bros for Wii
    Super Mario Kart
    Original, 64 and Double Dash
    Super Smash Bros Melee
    Yoshi's Story :p
    Donkey Kong Country :D
    1, 2 and 3
    Diddy Kong Racing
    Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie <3
    Secret of Mana
    Soul Blazer
    Lagoon
    Illusion of Time
    Castlevania
    Super Castlevania and Symphony of the Night

Final Fantasy <3
    VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, X-2 and XII
    Kingdom Hearts <3
    Birth by Sleep, 1, Chain of Memories and 2
    Suikoden <3
    1 and 2
    Alundra
    Breath of Fire
    III
    Grandia <3
    Mystic Heroes :p
    Legend of Kartia
    Nightmare Creatures
    Resident Evil
    1, 2 and 3
    Fatal Frame :fearful:<3
    I and II
    Grand Theft Auto >:)
    Vice City and Vice City Stories
    Crash Bandicoot
    1, 2, 3, Crash Team Racing, Crash Bash, The Wrath of Cortex and Crash Nitro Kart
    Tomb Raider
    I, II, III, The Last Revelation and Chronicles
    Lemmings 3D (for PS1)
    Worms World Party (for PS1) :D

SimCity
    2000, 3000 and 4
    Spore <3
    With Galactic Adventures
    The Sims <3
    1,2,3 and 4

I think that's pretty much it :) I do consider myself a gamer but I would also say that gaming for me comes and goes.
    I wouldn't call myself a collector because I don't have most of these games anymore. I have only kept the best so to speak
    and I still enjoy playing those games :) I guess that makes me a casual gamer :mrgreen: Not that it really matters though.
    Post edited by PurpleKachina on
  • AshkevronAshkevron Posts: 579 Member
    I think I would not fall into either casual or gamer category. Is there some middle ground title? Professional Casual? Wannabe Gamer? Amateur Gamer? Addicted Casual? I am one of those anyway.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member

Skyrim
    Torchlight II
    Fallout New Vegas
    Crusader Kings II
    Mass Effect 3

I also have a bunch of other games, but since all my favorite games take a LONG time to play (or have no given ending, like Sims) I tend to focus on those I REALLY like.

Ive looked into Crusader Kings a while back but what separates it from the Europa Universeralis Series ?

It uses the same game engine, but the rest is... different.

CKII is not primarely a wargame; it is a medieval politics simulator; the goal is simply for your family to survive from (either 1066 or 800 something, depending on if you have expansions installed) to the start of the renaissance. That is the PRIMARY goal, but of course you can expand, gain land and titles as the year passess. Again, the important thing is your family, not your character, so if (when) your character dies, as long as there is a single heir left in any branch of your family, the game goes on.

Anyway, you play hardcore politics (with armies and without), including marrying your daughters off for loyalties, tries to marry other noblemen's (and kings and maybe even Emperors) daughters to yourself and your sons to gain territory and loyalties, bribe the pope to excommunicate your enemies, change the laws to suit your situation and so on and so forth. Basically it's Game Of Thrones (if you choose to play that way; chances are at least some of the AI noblemen will play it that way). It is a very complicated game and it will benefit your greatly to look at some Let's Plays first.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • KShannonKShannon Posts: 223 Member
    I disagree.

If someone plays games, they're a gamer. This isn't some exclusive club with rules and guidelines, it's a definition of a word.
    Agreed. If you like playing any game and considering yourself to be a gamer I'm not going to tell you differently. I'm old enough to remember when gaming was a "nerd" hobby that some were embarrassed to admit to. Now it's an accepted and normal way to spend your leisure time and we're sticking labels back on it. Rawr. o:)

But yes. I consider myself a gamer, or a hardcore gamer to align with the title change.

I have the N64, Sega Genesis, and Nintendo GameCube, plus numerous games to go with each, but was never much of a console player.
    PC gaming really got me into it. I'd be hard pressed to name an MMO I haven't played. Runescape (Classic) being my first MMO, and WoW and GW2 being the current ones I deeply love.
    Elder Scrolls/Dragon Age/Mass Effect/Diablo/Crusader Kings/Sins of a Solar Empire/Civilization/Age of Empires/Warcraft RTS/Baldur's Gate/Fable/Fallout/Unreal Tournament/Tomb Raider/The Witcher/Sim City/SimAntILovedYouSoHard/etc

• Sc3niXSc3niX Posts: 2,468 Member
    Wow i didn't think i'd see the day where i saw another perfect world player. I quit that game 7 months ago, don't regret it. The people became really 🐸🐸🐸🐸 and the devs have been 🐸🐸🐸🐸 for years.

Anyways im a hardcore gamer.

Mass Effect 1,2,3 (best game EVER)
    Dota 2
    Counter Strike
    Borderlands 2
    Sims
    WoW
    Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
    Sleeping Dogs
    PoE
    Skyrim
    Oblivion
    Morrowind
    Dishonored
    DMC
    DMC4

Thats all i can pick from the top of my head
  • Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    I am not a gamer. I am a simmer. Everything else just gets in the way.

Skyrim
    Torchlight II
    Fallout New Vegas
    Crusader Kings II
    Mass Effect 3

CKII is not primarely a wargame; it is a medieval politics simulator; the goal is simply for your family to survive from (either 1066 or 800 something, depending on if you have expansions installed) to the start of the renaissance. That is the PRIMARY goal, but of course you can expand, gain land and titles as the year passess. Again, the important thing is your family, not your character, so if (when) your character dies, as long as there is a single heir left in any branch of your family, the game goes on.

Anyway, you play hardcore politics (with armies and without), including marrying your daughters off for loyalties, tries to marry other noblemen's (and kings and maybe even Emperors) daughters to yourself and your sons to gain territory and loyalties, bribe the pope to excommunicate your enemies, change the laws to suit your situation and so on and so forth. Basically it's Game Of Thrones (if you choose to play that way; chances are at least some of the AI noblemen will play it that way). It is a very complicated game and it will benefit your greatly to look at some Let's Plays first.

Oh good lord i just looked at it on steam and the collection costs almost 200 bucks . I think im just going to stick to the base game if i decide to buy it
  • MissTripsMissTrips Posts: 86 Member
    Oh lordy. I can't list all the various games I have without taking oh... 2 hours to type them all? I almost never get rid of a game, so I have titles on *floppy* disc still that I just haven't gotten rid of. I play on the PC, XBox 360, PS2, PSP, GameboyDS, iPad... and then there's my bookshelves. Yes, shelves, of tabletop and board games. Can I interest you in GURPS? A little Settlers of Catan? How about we crack open my card decks and we play Shadowfist? Shadowrun HeroClicks?

*chinhands* Hi! I'm a gamer!
    1cf96556-e72a-4628-a805-602355bf82a0_zps9cde3287.png
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member

Skyrim
    Torchlight II
    Fallout New Vegas
    Crusader Kings II
    Mass Effect 3

Oh good lord i just looked at it on steam and the collection costs almost 200 bucks . I think im just going to stick to the base game if i decide to buy it

Paradox has regular sales. Keep your eye on it.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • ArchDArchD Posts: 338 Member
    I'm a fixated gamer and am very rarely drawn to play more than one game at a time. At the moment that game is the Sims 4, but my interest in it has been waning. I've played Dragon Age, Skyrim, WoW, was really big into DDR for a while, Animal Crossing, Harvest Moon, Super Mario Bros, Zelda... I'm really excited about Evolve, too, which comes out in February. I've always wanted to be a terrifying monster that eats people!
  • xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    I am not a gamer. I am a simmer. Everything else just gets in the way.

Exactly.
    oh3cjs.jpg
    MissTrips wrote: »
    Oh lordy. I can't list all the various games I have without taking oh... 2 hours to type them all? I almost never get rid of a game, so I have titles on *floppy* disc still that I just haven't gotten rid of. I play on the PC, XBox 360, PS2, PSP, GameboyDS, iPad... and then there's my bookshelves. Yes, shelves, of tabletop and board games. Can I interest you in GURPS? A little Settlers of Catan? How about we crack open my card decks and we play Shadowfist? Shadowrun HeroClicks? <br />
    <br />
    *chinhands* Hi! I'm a gamer!

Why get rid of them transfer them to a CD ( there is equipment for this ) and find an Emulator for them .
  • ValandisValandis Posts: 2,008 Member
    I am a hardcore gamer. I play all types from console, PC and table top games! I love them all! :#
  • MissTripsMissTrips Posts: 86 Member
    edited November 2014
    > @Coffefreak4Life said:
    >
    >
    >
    > Why get rid of them transfer them to a CD ( there is equipment for this ) and find an Emulator for them .

Well, the two I hold most dear, Wasteland and Bard's Tale did get re-released in modern playable forms. And I have them. And Magic of Xanth? Eh... well, if I ever get the urge to replay it, maybe I will put out the effort, but until then, it's in a case, in a box in a storage unit.
    1cf96556-e72a-4628-a805-602355bf82a0_zps9cde3287.png
  • jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,859 Member
    Somewhere between. The games I play I play a bit, but they are not MMO or anything. I can spend hours playing the Civilization series, every day if I could, and I could probably do the same for Sims (now that we have a version that doesn't crash) but I don't consider myself a hardcore gamer.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • baddazonerbaddazoner Posts: 573 Member
    edited November 2014
    call of duty
    battlefield 4
    tomb raider
    assassins creed series
    GTA (will be getting 5 for pc soon which has a built in first person mode)
    saints row
    diablo 3
    starcraft
    sims 3

those are a list of games i've been playing recently (some replaying cause they are awesome)

more of a casual gamer but i just have a lot of games from all different genres
  • Colorist40Colorist40 Posts: 7,102 Member
    Games are hard and I always get frustrated. So no, I'll never qualify as a gamer. :( #ICryEverytim

That is so me lol.
  • jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,859 Member
    Colorist40 wrote: »
    Games are hard and I always get frustrated. So no, I'll never qualify as a gamer. :( #ICryEverytim

That is so me lol.

Add me to that list. Pretty much any game I play, if I want to be "challenged" at least in my comfort zone, I'll play on the next to lowest difficulty setting. Or sometimes I'll really be a freak and choose the third lowest. And then I'll decide it's not for me and I'll go back to a lower setting.

That's what I love about Sims - yes there are difficulties as far as the monies go but you don't have a ton of things attacking you all the time, stressing you out, getting you worked up and frustrated.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • SpidersWebSpidersWeb Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited November 2014
    I'm semi-enthusiast semi-casual.

I wouldn't be caught dead playing a facebook flash game. But I'm not the type of guy who uses a wired mouse to reduce my response times or to change ISP to save 20ms etc I have standards, and I know my hardware inside out, but I'm more about having fun than being the best.

My gaming time right now is split between Sims 4 for relaxing, and GTAOnline with my partner ( two X360's and two TVs).

Part of the casual bit is because I have less time now. Long gone are the days of getting home, heating up something to eat, and playing until 3AM.

Edit: I should add games recently played, I tend to sit down and just play one rather than switching, so in order of the last 6 months going backwards:

Sims 4 (PC)
    GTAOnline (X360)
    Sims 3 (PC)
    Doom (486 x 2 over IPX)
    Civilisation V (PC)
    Where in the world is carmen sandiego (Turbo 8088 + C64)
    Need for Speed SE (Pentium PC with Voodoo2)

Favourite franchies:
    - Civilization (PC)
    - Grand Theft Auto (PC/PS2/X360)
    - Forza Motorsport (except the new one, I like LOTS of content and are somewhat 🐸🐸🐸🐸 about it)
    - Gran Turismo (although I turned off it by GT5)
    - The Sims + SimCity (although grumpy about SC2013)
    - Need for Speed (but I went off these - after I think it was Carbon - I just wanted to gag a little too much)
    - Uncharted (PS3)

But I still feel, the best game I have every truly been blown away by - The Last of Us on PS3 (or PS4). It's not as re-playable as Sims / racing / GTA etc but good lord, if you get in to the characters, one hell of an experience.
    Performance, Price, Portability - pick two.