Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Poll: Are you a casual or hardcore gamer?

Comments

• nastyjmannastyjman Posts: 1,218 Member
    Currently playing Sims 4 and Guild Wars 2. Yesterday was a killer for me... the patch updates were released on both so I'm conflicted on which one to play.

As for games that I have played, my favorites are SimCity4, Civilization 3, Counter-Strike, Starcraft, Silent Hill and Chrono Trigger.

Console gaming is dead for me. Two reasons: expensive and overly hyped.
    TLC_banner_2021_downscale.png
  • Luke2153Luke2153 Posts: 538 Member
    I play a few games so I can't really say that i'm a gamer, but if I had more time I would be I usually play

The Sims
    Battlefield 3
    The Walking Dead
    I used to play Wizard101 and Pirate101 but that game got wayyy to expensive
    and also I play a little bit of Mariokart

There are a lot more games I have played just don't play them as much anymore.
    large.jpg
  • Dragonrose69Dragonrose69 Posts: 748 Member
    edited November 2014
    Man, so many games...

EverQuest
    EverQuest II
    EverQuest Online - PS2
    Star Wars Online
    DCUO both PC and PS2
    FreeRealms
    World of Warcraft
    Dark Age of Camelot
    Shadowbane
    Horizons (now Istaria)
    Rift
    Vanguard
    Wizards 101
    Dungeons & Dragons Online

Might and Magic
    Diablo 1 & 2
    Dungeon Siege 1 & 2
    Sims 1, 2, 3 & 4

Those are all I can think of at the moment. I am sure there are others. :)

Edit to add a few I remembered.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    No, I'm not, at all. Occasionally my family will play something on the Xbox and I'll spectate on the sidelines. That's about it.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    There was time when all you needed to be a gamer was a C64 and tapeloader. Now you need expensive rigs with specific brandnames for components, play specific games that make you belong to a specific crowd and do all kinds of plum things to 100% developer-trololol, I mean achievements.

Play a game and be happy. Stop pigeonholing yourself and other people to set yourself apart in a 'I'm cooler than you' fantasy that means nothing the moment that your mother expect you to do your chores.

what are you smoking?

1: I'm 18
    2: Gaming is literally just the name of the person who enjoys the hobby there's nothing special or bragging about it. Just like someone who paints is called a PAINTER. Someone who gardens is called a GARDENER. Someone who tinkers on things is called a TINKERER.

Stop smoking and get back to playing sims bc it's literally just the verb of the hobby. Games are a hobby just like everything else.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • JoenielJoeniel Posts: 727 Member
    Elder Scrolls: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
    Grand Theft Auto 3, 4, 5, Vice City, San Andreas, Liberty City Stories
    Metroid Prime 3, The Other M
    Transformers War for Cybertron, Fall of Cybertron
    ALL Resident Evil games from 0 to 6 including CVX, UC & DC
    Dragon Age Origins and 2
    Sim City 2000 (1996), The Sims 2, 3, 4
    Vagrant Story
    Shadow of the Colossus
    Super Smash Bros. Melee, Braw, Wii
    Mario Kart
    Mario Party 6, 7, 8
    Mario Galaxy 1, 2
    Mario Sunshine
    Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Twilight Princess
    Gears of War 1, 2, 3
    Doom 1, 2
    Quake 1, 2 & Quake 3 Arena
    Duke Nukem
    Heretic
    Hexen
    Xmen vs Street Fighter
    Marven Super Heroes vs Street Fighter
    Marvel vs Capcom 1, 2, 3
    The King of Fighters 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99
    Soul Edge, Soul Calibur 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 & Soul Calibur Legends
    Warcraft 3 + Frozen Throne
    Dead or Alive
    Tekken 1, 2, 3, 4
    Mortal Kombat 1, 2, 3, 4 & Armageddon
    Mech Warrior 2 + Mercenaries, 3, 4 + Merenaries, Mech Warrior Online (supposed to be MW5)
    Mega Man X, X2, X3, X4, X5

My consoles:
    Playstation 1, 2, 3, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, Wii, Xbox 360, Alienware PC And still playing the old ones for the nostalgia mood.

I'm not just a gamer, I'm a gaymer!! :# -waves rainbow flag-
    gatitos_zps08y2lsrh.gif
    Vibse wrote: »
    looking at my game collection then yes I could be called a gamer, but one can still be called a gamer even if they don't own every single game ever relased. Gaming is my hobby.

No but you enjoy playing games as your hobby so you're a gamer.

By that I mean't like people who play candy crush on their phones and call themselves gamers. IT's your hobby so you're a gamer.
  • DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    edited November 2014
    I'm a gamer. Not much into the online RPG aspect but here are the games I regularly play:-

Devil May Cry (1and 3 + DmC. Didn't think much of 2 and 4)
    Uncharted (1, 2 and 3)
    Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
    The Wolf Among Us
    The Walking Dead (Telltale version)
    Persona (3 PSP + 4 Golden)
    Minecraft
    Pokemon (all of them except the console versions because I don't own one)
    Infamous (1, 2 and Second Son + the DLC)
    Lost Odyssey
    Final Fantasy (7, 9, 10 & 10-2)
    Tomb Raider (all of them except the Lara Croft spin off game + Tomb Raider 2013 because I hate that game)

Plus TS4 of course, but that's a given :)

These are just the games on my regularly played rotation btw, I have a fair few others but they only get pulled out for a re-play every now and then. I'm looking forward to The Order next year :)

As far as hardware is concerned I have an (admittedly somewhat outdated, poor thing needs a new graphics card) gaming PC, a PS3, PS4 and an XBOX360. Not much of a Nintendo girl I'm afraid - beyond Pokemon and Legend of Zelda I can't understand the appeal so it just isn't worth having anything other than their handhelds.
    SelenaGrey wrote: »
    Vibse wrote: »
    looking at my game collection then yes I could be called a gamer, but one can still be called a gamer even if they don't own every single game ever relased. Gaming is my hobby.

No but you enjoy playing games as your hobby so you're a gamer.

By that I mean't like people who play candy crush on their phones and call themselves gamers. IT's your hobby so you're a gamer.
    Whats wrong with that? If they play games regularly - any game- they are gamers.

Basically the equivelant of that is taking a bathroom selfie and calling yourself a photographer. A real photographer takes pictures of different subjects etc. A gamer plays more than one regularly either intensely or casually. If you play alot of different games, even crappy mobile ones and they're your hobby then you're a gamer.

But if you like play one game a week for 3 minutes well... Like someone said it was a bragging thing but it's not, it's just a hobby...a rather expensive one though! >.<
  • RadprofileRadprofile Posts: 161 Member
    Eh...

I have the "bad habit" to not play a game for much time, usually I just beat it once and jump to another, if the game have multiple endings... I play it again but later, after play other games, The Sims is different, I keep playing it from time to time, but not like some people around here that dedicate their whole life to it LOL, so recently...

Persona rpg games (had to say it)
    Borderlands 1, 2
    Tomb Raider (Squeenix)
    Tales of Xillia 1,2
    Atelier series (Arland trilogy and now Ayesha and Escha & Logy)
    Akiba's trip
    Dead Or Alive 5 Ultimate
    Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
    Dynasty Warriors Gundam games
    Samurai Warriors 4
    Saints Row 3, 4
    Ni No Kuni
    Dragon's Crown
    Ninja Gaiden 3 razor's edge
    Lollipop Chainsaw
    Star Ocean The Last Hope
    Pokemon X (don't really liked it lol)
    Animal Crossing
    Bravely Default
    Lego Batman 2 and Marvel superheroes
    Diablo 3
    Dead Island Riptide
    Alice Madness returns
    The Last of Us
    Assassin's Creed Liberation
    ElSword
    Ragnarok Online 2
    And of course The Sims 3 and 4

The rest are old ones (from old consoles and pc games) that probably are not important anymore lol
  • ValandisValandis Posts: 2,008 Member
    edited November 2014
    I've been paying games since I was 3 so I'll just list 5 of my all-time favourite games and the games I'm currently playing or else I'll have to fill out pages of games I've played.

Top 5 series in random order:
    - The Legend of Zelda
    - Half-Life
    - Bioware (Ok, not really a series but I love their games: Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, Star Wars, Dragon Age, etc)
    - The Sims
    - Warcraft (Not to be confused with World of Warcraft)

Games I'm currently playing:
    - The Sims 4 (Obviously)
    - ArcheAge
    - Re-playing Knight of the Old Republic II
    - Borderlands The Pre-Sequel
    - Divinity

And a few more.

@Joeniel Omg!! Be my bf!! We'll play games together. :mrgreen: Hahah!
  • Coffefreak4LifeCoffefreak4Life Posts: 8,082 Member
    kerryn96 wrote: »
    The only series I play these days are The Sims, Assassin's Creed and Pokemon. And hey, I consider playing those games hobbies, because I play them often - and when I do, it's for hours at a time haha. But I don't go around calling myself a gamer because I can see how that would look quite silly seeing as I only play like 3 different games lol

Honestly the term gamer is just a way to isolate people from a group . Even the opening statement of the thread says " you have to play more than sims " Why? Its a game Isn't it so what makes CoD or WoW any better ? I half jokingly said to be a real gamer you had to play D20 RPGs but thats where the term originated so what would make my statement wrong and the OP's correct? I play a lot of computer games and board games but quite frankly i find it silly to tag myself a "gamer " simply do to that fact . Just because I like to play many genres and someone else may stick to 1 game doesnt make them any less of a gamer than me
  • xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    I'm a wannabe. I only play sandboxes (like TS, minecraft...)
    oh3cjs.jpg
    The only series I play these days are The Sims, Assassin's Creed and Pokemon. And hey, I consider playing those games hobbies, because I play them often - and when I do, it's for hours at a time haha. But I don't go around calling myself a gamer because I can see how that would look quite silly seeing as I only play like 3 different games lol

Honestly the term gamer is just a way to isolate people from a group . Even the opening statement of the thread says " you have to play more than sims " Why? Its a game Isn't it so what makes CoD or WoW any better ? I half jokingly said to be a real gamer you had to play D20 RPGs but thats where the term originated so what would make my statement wrong and the OP's correct? I play a lot of computer games and board games but quite frankly i find it silly to tag myself a "gamer " simply do to that fact . Just because I like to play many genres and someone else may stick to 1 game doesnt make them any less of a gamer than me

You can be a gamer and play sims. A gamer is anyone who enjoys playing video games as a hobby. But if you hate most games how could you call yourself one?

And yeah I'd say board games would make you a gamer too, those were the classics that started it all.

The simple fact is if you identify as a gamer then you are one. IT's not a club or isolation. IF you enjoy playing video games, NO MATTER WHICH ONES, then you're a gamer. If you sit there and say "I hate most games but I enjoy ___"well then not really.
  • DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    edited November 2014

It doesn't make you any less of a gamer, and frankly, clinging to the notion that it does is some juvenile attempt to feel cool.

Isn't this where the whole casual gamer / hardcore gamer thing came from?

Regardless of the games you play if you're playing games then you're a gamer, but if someone is only playing a single game exclusively and otherwise has no interest in other games then I'd say that makes that person a casual gamer. Likewise someone who is heavily invested in gaming, has an interest in multiple genres & multiple games would be hardcore.

That's how I've always defined it anyway. At the end of the day we're all gamers though and we all pretty much share the same hobby. It doesn't matter how much money you spend or how many games you play.

It doesn't make you any less of a gamer, and frankly, clinging to the notion that it does is some juvenile attempt to feel cool.

Nobody here is saying it makes them less of a gamer. I'd say in my -opinion- you'd have to play more than JUST the sims. What I mean't by that is to see who here plays games besides sims. That's the whole purpose of this thread, to find out how many people only enjoy sims or other games.

gam·er
    ˈɡāmər/
    noun
    a person who plays a game or games, typically a participant in a computer or role-playing game.

I'm literally agreeing with you over and over so if you're trying to find something to argue about I have no idea what.
    Darkslayer wrote: »

Isn't this where the whole casual gamer / hardcore gamer thing came from?

Regardless of the games you play if you're playing games then you're a gamer, but if someone is only playing a single game exclusively and otherwise has no interest in other games then I'd say that makes that person a casual gamer. Likewise someone who is heavily invested in gaming, has an interest in multiple genres & multiple games would be hardcore.

That's how I've always defined it anyway. At the end of the day we're all gamers though and we all pretty much share the same hobby. It doesn't matter how much money you spend or how many games you play.

That is exactly what it is. I'm trying to find out who here is hardcore/casual. perhaps I should rephrase the quetion?
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Games I more or less regulary play besides Sims 4:

Skyrim
    Torchlight II
    Fallout New Vegas
    Crusader Kings II
    Mass Effect 3

I also have a bunch of other games, but since all my favorite games take a LONG time to play (or have no given ending, like Sims) I tend to focus on those I REALLY like.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    I only play the sims, really haven't seen any other games that I'm interested in recently.
  • JoenielJoeniel Posts: 727 Member
    Valandis wrote: »

Anytime baby!! kiss <3
    gatitos_zps08y2lsrh.gif
  • EsnesNommocEsnesNommoc Posts: 1,243 Member
    I see the thread's title has been changed. :wink:
  • ValandisValandis Posts: 2,008 Member
    Joeniel wrote: »
    Valandis wrote: »

Anytime baby!! kiss <3

<3 omg *fansqueel*
    I see the thread's title has been changed. :wink:

bc people are throwing hissy fits and i'd rather keep my thread open ;)
  • RadprofileRadprofile Posts: 161 Member
    Casual, Core, Hardcore, or Pro gamer?
  • pinkangelsimpinkangelsim Posts: 389 Member
    I only play the Sims and sad to say that I play the Sims Freeplay too :( I sometimes play computer card games and Mahjong. Other then that for 14 years I have played the sims and even the silly sims games like the Sims Carnival series Bumper blast and snap city :#