Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Please help! CC files accidentally converted to Paint, iTunes, etc files!

I don't know if this is a big problem or a little problem. My mouse was being weird when I was trying to drag and drop a new file from my downloads folder into a subfolder in my Mods folder. I have never had a problem doing this with any files in any generations of my sim games. But somehow the mouse clicked something it wasn't supposed to and the files got converted to iTunes files.

I tried to change them back but I realized I had no idea what program they were using before. I just knew they were .package files. The only options it gives me is Windows Media, Paint, iTunes, Internet Explorer, search for another file on my computer or download an app from the Windows store. I tried to search but I didn't know what I was looking for and nothing seemed to make any sense. When I chose to check the store, it recommended 5 apps, only 3 of which were free (I can't buy any apps) and they didn't seem to have anything to do with my problem.

I'm scared to even go back into my game because I don't know if my CC is even CC anymore or if it's just garbage. And I have SO much of it! I can't imagine starting over. And taking it all out and playing the game without any of it would be messed up too for the same reason, it's everywhere. Anyways, please help a technological challenged girl out! I just want things to go back to normal before my stupid mouse spazzed out and ruined my life. Thanks. *fingers crossed*

Comments

• NightmareCandleNightmareCandle Posts: 531 Member
    edited October 2014
    First off, before you delve into the barely-complicated-but-scary-if-you-don't-understand-it stuff: Assuming you have CAS parts (Clothing, hair, makeup, etc) just open the game and go into CAS (the small button to the left of the play button) and check for it.

The only way it'll hurt your saves [if the CC isn't working] is if you load a save, then save it again with the CC gone, thus making the game forget the CC was there.

If the extension of the files is still .package, it won't hurt anything. It probably just changed the default program they open with, which doesn't affect the game loading them at all.

To check the extension:
    MUpyR1E.png
    Source: Microsoft - I assume if I were to direct-link that, this would need to be approved.
    If you have W8 and don't have a third-party start menu, roll over the right side of the screen > click Settings > then Control Panel.

If the CC still doesn't work:
    It's probably as easy as just changing the extension. They don't actually get opened with anything. They're just files that the game reads when it's loaded.

To change the extension, just right-click > Rename (or select the file and hit F2) and delete the extension after the . and replace it with package.
    ► ♦ 8XGb8hl.gif ♦ ◄
  • annamarie10614annamarie10614 Posts: 67 Member
    > @NightmareCandle said:
    > First off, before you delve into the scary stuff: Just try to load a save to see if it works. Unless you save the game again with the CC missing (if it is) then it's not going to remove it from that save - just exit without saving.
    >
    > It may be as easy as just changing the extension. They don't actually get opened with anything. They're just files that the game reads when it's loaded.
    > If the extension is still .package, it won't hurt anything. It probably just changed the default program they open with, which doesn't affect the game loading them at all.
    >
    >
    > Source: Microsoft - I assume if I were to direct-link that, this would need to be approved.
    > If you have W8 and don't have a third-party start menu, roll over the right side of the screen > click Settings > then Control Panel.
    >
    > To change the extension, just right-click > Rename (or select the file and hit F2) and delete the extension after the . and replace it with package.
    > @NightmareCandle said:
    > First off, before you delve into the scary stuff: Just try to load a save to see if it works. Unless you save the game again with the CC missing (if it is) then it's not going to remove it from that save - just exit without saving.
    >
    > It may be as easy as just changing the extension. They don't actually get opened with anything. They're just files that the game reads when it's loaded.
    > If the extension is still .package, it won't hurt anything. It probably just changed the default program they open with, which doesn't affect the game loading them at all.
    >
    >
    > Source: Microsoft - I assume if I were to direct-link that, this would need to be approved.
    > If you have W8 and don't have a third-party start menu, roll over the right side of the screen > click Settings > then Control Panel.
    >
    > To change the extension, just right-click > Rename (or select the file and hit F2) and delete the extension after the . and replace it with package.

Ok I'm sorry, like I said, I really know NOTHING about this stuff. I was with you up until the screen shot. I mean I could follow the path but I'm not sure if you wanted me to do one of those things and if you did, which one? Is that supposed to resolve my problem? And then after that you said something completely different about just right clicking and renaming .something to .package. I don't get it. Which am I supposed to do? And I don't understand the instructions on the screenshot. I know I can't just pick one. As far as the renaming, that's not the issue. For example, in my Downloads file before I drag it into my Mods folder there's a file named [🐸🐸🐸🐸 SIMS] Cleo V2. Next column has the date. Next column is the type. Herein lies the problem. Where it used to say package file before my mouse clicked on god knows what, it now says Windows Media Player then of course the size in the last column. None of the information has changed, even the dates modified on my old files except the file type. When I right click to rename like you suggested there is no .package or anything. Just the name the creator gave the file. Maybe I wasn't clear the first time bc I truly don't know what I'm talking about, and have no idea how to fix it. But please don't give up on me. Or if someone else is reading this thinking wow what a dope, please take a minute to help me. I haven't gone in my game since this happened, it was just an hour ago. And I don't plan to until it's resolved bc I don't want any saved game with any issues. Again thanks in advance for your help!
    Maybe if I knew what program they're supposed to be "opened with" then I can just choose that and it'll all go back to normal. Can anyone tell me that much? I mean I know they're .package files but what are they opened with or the extension or whatever? If I could just find the right thing to look for on my computer when it gives me that option to find something else then maybe that'll fix all this? Obviously I could be wrong but that's how it got messed up. I was just trying to drag and drop and somehow the mouse just regular clicked on it instead and clicked a bunch of stuff in a row (which it's been doing a lot lately but that's a whole other problem) and changed the program the files are opened with. I really wish I would've paid better attention at what that was before but because it is set to change them all by default I have zero examples of whatever it was before.
    edited October 2014
    I was with you up until the screen shot. I mean I could follow the path but I'm not sure if you wanted me to do one of those things and if you did, which one

I'm sorry, I edit things a lot and don't realize they're confusing until I go over them right after saving it. Very, very bad habit.

I edited that message to tell you to check Create-A-Sim. The game will not be harmed at all by loading that, it won't touch your saves, you won't lose that CC if it doesn't show up.
    Make sure those CC files are in your Mods folder, then check CAS for any clothing/hair/makeup/recolors you may have. Are they there? If so, then you didn't hurt anything.
    If that works you don't even need to bother reading the rest of this message. The program should NOT have changed the file extension at all. Package files are not opened with any program - the game will simply load it no matter what default program is set to, and that program isn't going to try to open it when you launch the game or anything.

[Extra information removed because long and un-needed]
    ► ♦ 8XGb8hl.gif ♦ ◄
    Omgness thank you HAHA! That was much clearer first of all and I understood every word! yay! I did what you said and checked CAS and my CC was there so I guess all is well. Still really annoyed that this happened at all and every time I look at those files they're gonna say Windows Media ughhhhh but whatever! Trying to be grateful! Everything's still there. Nothing was harmed or missing. Phew! What a relief! Thank you for sticking with me and explaining it all again. Truly! Usually I get on here and just get completely ignored. You saved me from having a total sims panic attack and we all know how ugly those can get!
    edited October 2014
    @annamarie10614 Glad to be of service. :3 Again, sorry for the confusion. It's early. lol.

If it really bugs you, you can remove Windows Media Player as the default program:

1. Go to Control Panel.
    2. View by "Large Icons" or "Small Icons"
    3. Click "Default Programs"
    4. Click "Set your Default Programs"
    5. Scroll down the list on the left to "Windows Media Player" and select it
    6. Click "Choose Defaults for this Program" at the bottom of the window
    7. Find ".package" somewhere in that list and uncheck it.

Should be done - WMP should no longer be the default program and package files should be back to not having one.
    ► ♦ 8XGb8hl.gif ♦ ◄
  • roroprincess1229roroprincess1229 Posts: 222 Member
    I've been having a similar issue but with the internet explorer icon. I think it's set to the default program and I'm confused I don't know how to set it back to the normal without a default. I have windows 8.1 computer and I couldn't find the .package under the "Set default Settings" and in Internet explorer, if you can please help me I would really appreciate it.
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,521 Member
    edited November 2016
    I've been having a similar issue but with the internet explorer icon. I think it's set to the default program and I'm confused I don't know how to set it back to the normal without a default. I have windows 8.1 computer and I couldn't find the .package under the "Set default Settings" and in Internet explorer, if you can please help me I would really appreciate it.

Hello
    I will repost here what I wrote on the other thread, in case it helps other simmers also

When you right click the file,you can choose an option of a program to " open with". You can choose another program that you want to associate with the package files. You may prefer to set it to open with notepad instead.
    It doesn't though affect the package files what program is set for it to be opened with. You don't need to open the package files. You just need to place them in your mods folder.

Edit : I have searched a little bit more . If you want to change it back to the default, try doing what is suggested in this link. Do what it is in the second section called : " Set your Default programs". When using that method, select Internet Explorer, then deselect package files.
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/quickly-fix-windows-file-type-associations/
    Post edited by rosemow on
  • egwarhammeregwarhammer Posts: 5,752 Member
    Here's a radical "fix" that will work if you don't mind losing a file or program... I had accidentally selected S4PE (package editor) as the default program for .ts4script files. Didn't make them not work, but, it wouldn't DO anything to them either. There's no way to UNSELECT a program (to get back to the "blank icon" beside those files, I mean).

I didn't know what else to switch them to... so today, I deleted S4PE. Icons, back to normal. (I use Sims4Studio anyway.) It isn't the BEST solution, probably, especially if you're talking about some true default program, but for an add-on like s4pe that I didn't desperately want to keep, it worked fine.

(Outside the box idea.)
    Here's a radical "fix" that will work if you don't mind losing a file or program... I had accidentally selected S4PE (package editor) as the default program for .ts4script files. Didn't make them not work, but, it wouldn't DO anything to them either. There's no way to UNSELECT a program (to get back to the "blank icon" beside those files, I mean).

I didn't know what else to switch them to... so today, I deleted S4PE. Icons, back to normal. (I use Sims4Studio anyway.) It isn't the BEST solution, probably, especially if you're talking about some true default program, but for an add-on like s4pe that I didn't desperately want to keep, it worked fine.

(Outside the box idea.)

Hello
    What I posted in the edited part of the above post may help if you have the issue again. .
    If you want to change it back to the default, try doing what is suggested in this link. Do what it is in the second section called : " Set your Default programs". When using that method, select Internet Explorer, then deselect package files.
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/quickly-fix-windows-file-type-associations
    /
  • egwarhammeregwarhammer Posts: 5,752 Member
    rosemow wrote: »

(Outside the box idea.)

Hello
    What I posted in the edited part of the above post may help if you have the issue again. .
    If you want to change it back to the default, try doing what is suggested in this link. Do what it is in the second section called : " Set your Default programs". When using that method, select Internet Explorer, then deselect package files.
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/quickly-fix-windows-file-type-associations
    /

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind. I hadn't done this BEFORE, but there's no guarantee it won't ever happen AGAIN. ;)

Appreciate it! <3
  • Klippi1Klippi1 Posts: 8 New Member
    The same thing is happening to me. I can’t figure out how to set it as the default but does it matter if it is the note pad instead?
    Klippi1 wrote: »
    The same thing is happening to me. I can’t figure out how to set it as the default but does it matter if it is the note pad instead?

Hello
    It shouldn’t matter if it is set as notepad. The game should still recognise the cc.
  • Bunie4444Bunie4444 Posts: 3 New Member
    So my problem is I have no idea what I'm doing and I'm very confused because nothing seems to work! In my case I accidentally changed the file to always open with Movie Maker, because I am an idiot :(, and I can't change it back to the original. I've tried changing it to notepad which worked but I don't know how to incorporate the CC into my game. Please help!
    edited April 2018
    Bunie4444 wrote: »
    So my problem is I have no idea what I'm doing and I'm very confused because nothing seems to work! In my case I accidentally changed the file to always open with Movie Maker, because I am an plum :(, and I can't change it back to the original. I've tried changing it to notepad which worked but I don't know how to incorporate the CC into my game. Please help!

Hello @Bunie4444
    These links explain about installing cc and mods
    http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/tutorials/mods-cc.php
    http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Installing_Sims_4_Package_Files
    http://sims-online.com/install-mods-custom-content-sims-4-tutorial/

If the game is not loading the files when they are set to open with notepad, this link explains how to change it back to unknown program which may help
    https://www.quora.com/In-Windows-10-how-do-you-change-file-association-back-to-unknown-program
    @rosemow (The file is a notepad file) So on the second link, correct me if I'm wrong but, I learned that you had to extract the file with 7zip. Though when I try to I get shown a screen saying:

Elapsed time: 00:00:00 Total size: (It says the size)
    Remaining Time: 00:00:00 Speed: (It says the speed)
    Files: 0 Processed: (It says a number)
    Compression Ratio: Compressed Size:
    Errors: 1

(file name)
    Can not open file as archive (Then it only gives me the option to close)

What do I do in this situation? I'm so confused!
    edited April 2018
    @rosemow (The file is a notepad file) So on the second link, correct me if I'm wrong but, I learned that you had to extract the file with 7zip. Though when I try to I get shown a screen saying:

Elapsed time: 00:00:00 Total size: (It says the size)
    Remaining Time: 00:00:00 Speed: (It says the speed)
    Files: 0 Processed: (It says a number)
    Compression Ratio: Compressed Size:
    Errors: 1

(file name)
    Can not open file as archive (Then it only gives me the option to close)

What do I do in this situation? I'm so confused!

Hello
    If the cc that you have downloaded was a package file, then it can be placed directly into the mods folder. It should then appear in the game. It doesn’t need to be opened.
    > @rosemow said:
    > Bunie4444 wrote: »
    >
    > @rosemow (The file is a notepad file) So on the second link, correct me if I'm wrong but, I learned that you had to extract the file with 7zip. Though when I try to I get shown a screen saying:
    >
    > Elapsed time: 00:00:00 Total size: (It says the size)
    > Remaining Time: 00:00:00 Speed: (It says the speed)
    > Files: 0 Processed: (It says a number)
    > Compression Ratio: Compressed Size:
    > Errors: 1
    >
    >
    > (file name)
    > Can not open file as archive (Then it only gives me the option to close)
    >
    > What do I do in this situation? I'm so confused!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hello
    > If the cc that you have downloaded was a package file, then it can be placed directly into the mods folder. It should then appear in the game. It doesn’t need to be opened.

Oh my goodness, thank you! I've been trying to figure this out on my own for so long completely forgetting about the mods folder! Thanks so much!
    > @rosemow said:
    > Bunie4444 wrote: »
    >
    > @rosemow (The file is a notepad file) So on the second link, correct me if I'm wrong but, I learned that you had to extract the file with 7zip. Though when I try to I get shown a screen saying:
    >
    > Elapsed time: 00:00:00 Total size: (It says the size)
    > Remaining Time: 00:00:00 Speed: (It says the speed)
    > Files: 0 Processed: (It says a number)
    > Compression Ratio: Compressed Size:
    > Errors: 1
    >
    >
    > (file name)
    > Can not open file as archive (Then it only gives me the option to close)
    >
    > What do I do in this situation? I'm so confused!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hello
    > If the cc that you have downloaded was a package file, then it can be placed directly into the mods folder. It should then appear in the game. It doesn’t need to be opened.

Oh my goodness, thank you! I've been trying to figure this out on my own for so long completely forgetting about the mods folder! Thanks so much!

You’re welcome :)
  • PoppyR26PoppyR26 Posts: 1 New Member
    Hello

The same thing has happened to me I accidentally changed it to open with Internet Explorer. I’ve tried changing it the packages into notepad instead but when I try opening the Sims 4 it doesn’t let me on but come up with a small message.
    The message says:

Cannot start file because the below file appears to be corrupted if this file is a mod please remove it and try again. If not, please repair or reinstall the game via Origin.

I really don’t know what to do someone please help!
    PoppyR26 wrote: »
    Hello

The same thing has happened to me I accidentally changed it to open with Internet Explorer. I’ve tried changing it the packages into notepad instead but when I try opening the Sims 4 it doesn’t let me on but come up with a small message.
    The message says:

Cannot start file because the below file appears to be corrupted if this file is a mod please remove it and try again. If not, please repair or reinstall the game via Origin.

I really don’t know what to do someone please help!

Hello
    You could try bringing it back to an unknown file association, then download another cc item that is a package item and it then may fix itself up.
    This link explains how to make it have an unknown association.
    https://www.quora.com/In-Windows-10-how-do-you-change-file-association-back-to-unknown-program
  • jrmieamesjrmieames Posts: 1 New Member
    can someone help me whenever i download any custom content the file comes up as a google chrome file i tried and searched on how to fix it and found a video about it but it does not work for me because my computer is windows 10

any other suggestions or help? on how to fix my problem? i tried everything but nothing seems to work
    or maybe i just dont know how to
    jrmieames wrote: »
    can someone help me whenever i download any custom content the file comes up as a google chrome file i tried and searched on how to fix it and found a video about it but it does not work for me because my computer is windows 10

any other suggestions or help? on how to fix my problem? i tried everything but nothing seems to work
    or maybe i just dont know how to

Hello @jrmieames
    Try doing what I suggested in the above post and see if that helps your issue
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16611570/#Comment_16611570