Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Radio doesn't have sound

All of the sounds in my Sims 3 game are working except the radio. I can hear my sims speaking, musical instruments being played, even the TV but with the radio there are only musical notes floating from it. I've searched yet haven't found any solutions. The music from build and buy modes plus map view no longer plays. Does anyone have a solution?

Comments

• CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    Have a look in the 'options' menu. There should be a tab for audio. Make sure the 'music' box is not checked and that the volume is turned up.
  • espereldaesperelda Posts: 171 Member
    Hi Cinderellimouse :D I have checked, the music box isn't checked. None of the options are checked: voice, sound effects, ambient, music, quality. They are all turned up to high. And I can hear absolutely everything else with the exception of the radio, build and buy modes and map view. Its really odd.
    Hmm... seems like it's a weird glitch. I had a dig around and I can't find much on it. The only suggestions I could find (which worked only some of the time) are to:

* Use 'save as' and save your game under a new name.

* check to see if your audio driver needs updating.

If I find anything else I'll post it here. :-/
    Yes I've just taken the time to research how then check that the audio drivers are indeed updated. I moved the family to a new town and 'saved as' to a different name.....alas.....to no avail, unfortunately :\ Yet a Big Thank You Cinderellimouse for your responses.
  • ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    hey @esperelda have you tested a new game? and what is your base game patch?
    Happy to see you ceejay402! I am patched to 1.67. Just got done testing a new game in Sunset Valley, and couldn't hear the radio or any sound in build/buy mode or the Map view music that used to play. However, I did hear the crescendo sound the game makes when the time portal shows up in a new world. I can't remember if there's a sound when the Mascot arrives and delivers the university package but there wasn't any sound when she showed up this time. Ditto for the supernatural weather stone - no sound when the game placed it onto a lot but there was that customary brief flash and written notification announcing its arrival in game. Thank you :)
    It's weird. :-/ It sounds like the game is having trouble loading the audio files. You don't have any mods or cc that could be conflicting do you?

Try generating a brand new The Sims 3 folder. The way Crinrict describes here: http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/06/tutorial-resetting-the-game-to-factory-settings-without-reinstalling.html

So, rename the 'The Sims 3' folder in documents to something else. Then run the game to generate a brand new folder. Load the game and a new world and see if you still have the issue.

If the issue is fixed, you know that the problem is something to do with the old folder and you can start troubleshooting to see what it was.

If the sound issue persists then you know it's NOT your folder, and it might be something to do with your computer or the game files on your C: drive.

:-)
  • 5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    edited October 2014
    I'm not sure if my issue is the same or not but my sim's radio and guitar will play for a while before going silent. Music notes still going - just no sound. Weird thing is the radio and guitar don't always blank out. My CAS blanks out as well - always. Map view and Build mode don't appear to be affected - yet.

Don't know if it's the same thing as @esperelda , since my radio isn't always happening.
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
  • ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    esperelda wrote: »
    Happy to see you ceejay402! I am patched to 1.67. Just got done testing a new game in Sunset Valley, and couldn't hear the radio or any sound in build/buy mode or the Map view music that used to play. However, I did hear the crescendo sound the game makes when the time portal shows up in a new world. I can't remember if there's a sound when the Mascot arrives and delivers the university package but there wasn't any sound when she showed up this time. Ditto for the supernatural weather stone - no sound when the game placed it onto a lot but there was that customary brief flash and written notification announcing its arrival in game. Thank you :)
    good to see :) ok can you try this for me, pull your sims 3 doc folder to the desktop and try a test game save if this works. its possible you have something installed that is corrupting or some corrupted data.

path my documents/electronic arts/ sims 3

if this works you can move back files from the old but test each move for corruption
    http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Sims+3+Folder+Contents+FAQ

if this doesnt work you can put back your old folder and ill keep digging for a solution, i havent seen this issue in a long time and thought it was addressed by a long ago patch
    Unfortunately taking out the Sims 3 folder, saving it to desktop and playing a completely, fresh new game (allowing the generation of a new Sims 3 folder in the Electronic Arts folder) yielded the same results: all other sounds could be heard with the exception of the radio, build/buy modes, Map view, and I can't remember if the Weather Stone or Time Portal arrivals make sound but I didn't hear anything. I did hear the University Mascot ring the doorbell as she dropped off the enrollment kit. The TV can still be heard. Again, there's also no Intro music as the game starts up, which I never thought I'd miss....but....now I do!
    It's weird. :-/ It sounds like the game is having trouble loading the audio files. You don't have any mods or cc that could be conflicting do you?

Try generating a brand new The Sims 3 folder. The way Crinrict describes here: http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/06/tutorial-resetting-the-game-to-factory-settings-without-reinstalling.html

So, rename the 'The Sims 3' folder in documents to something else. Then run the game to generate a brand new folder. Load the game and a new world and see if you still have the issue.

If the issue is fixed, you know that the problem is something to do with the old folder and you can start troubleshooting to see what it was.

If the sound issue persists then you know it's NOT your folder, and it might be something to do with your computer or the game files on your C: drive.

:-)

I have been playing on this newly purchased desktop for almost a year now. I got this desktop (eventhough I prefer laptops) so that I could have a more solid foundation to play my game as each laptop kept getting burned out as I added more EPs. The computer is completely updated, in good shape, with only the Sims 3 on it, and the radio sound only stopped within the past month, at the most. No other changes to my computer desktop. I've checked the drivers and they all say they're updated. Lol....I don't know :\ but I thank you so!!!
  • SimSwim2SimSwim2 Posts: 2,481 Member
    @esperelda I have the same problem in the game. I can hear it, but barely. The stereo is turned to high volume. I even tried buying a more expensive stereo. Nothing works. :disappointed:
    Origin ID: StripedRainbow
    Hi SimSwim2...sorry I didn't see your comment before. Just quickly checking back in to this post to see if anyone had any ideas. You have my condolence as I also miss hearing quirky Sims 3 music :( Hopefully we'll be able to eventually get this issue resolved somehow.