Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I guess I have the Travel Bug!!!

Previously, when I first started playing the Sims 3 and purchased every expansion pack, I was able to do everything in those expansion packs. Now I'm having issues. Whenever I try to get my Sim to travel, whenever they reach their destination, they are nowhere to be seen, no one appears. It's truly frustrating. And I only play with one Sim. What am I doing wrong? Or what can be done to fix this?

Comments

• wrenstaleswrenstales Posts: 777 Member
    NAVARRO199 wrote: »
    Previously, when I first started playing the Sims 3 and purchased every expansion pack, I was able to do everything in those expansion packs. Now I'm having issues. Whenever I try to get my Sim to travel, whenever they reach their destination, they are nowhere to be seen, no one appears. It's truly frustrating. And I only play with one Sim. What am I doing wrong? Or what can be done to fix this?
    Same here, Has anyone got a fix to the problem, I need it as I have worked hard on training my sims at home to gain martial arts belts.
  • KatAnubisKatAnubis Posts: 3,241 Member
    It's usually due to corruption in a game. It happens most often with games that have been played a lot. Sometimes you can travel again if you go in and remove all the cache.package files. (There are about 5 of them.) Do noot remove any folders, only the .package files. Then go into your saved game and remove the dbtravel.package file.

You will lose some things like pictures, but you should be able to travel again.
    Chimark, that's a guide I haven't seen before. Too bad they don't discuss the DBTravel.package, as that tends to cause a lot of traveling problems. I've not seen the breakdown of what the various cache's do, but I suspect that they do more than is listed since deleting them often helps with problems in the family that wouldn't be affected by what they have listed. Interesting. I'll have to remember that guide.
  • yoshi_dragur2012yoshi_dragur2012 Posts: 1,670 Member
    if you're not adverse to using mods, then use twallan's traveler. Also twallan's MC/Overwatch and/or Error trap will stop 99.9999% of issues like this in future
    I've deleted the cache files, however my sims still disappear when I travel to China. Is there a way to get around this issue as I don't want to uninstall the so.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Yes. What @yoshi_dragur2012 said. :)

http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Traveler
    http://nraas.wikispaces.com/ErrorTrap
    http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Overwatch

But if you are truly not interested in using mods and don't mind losing any progress already made in the foreign world, as an experiment when the game is not running you might try pulling the .nhd file of the destination out of your most recent save (assuming you have such a file already in place) -- just drag it to your desktop. You can always put it back in if this doesn't help. The game should generate a fresh copy of that world the next time you attempt travel to it, with everything and everyone there reset back to the way it was in the beginning. Your sim will no longer know anyone there, again assuming they had been there in the past.

Another thing to try is minimizing the resources your game is using just before travel. While the game is running but just before you attempt travel, go into Game Options and turn all the graphics options down to the bare minimum (everything in game will look much less spiffy, but this is only temporary). Save (As), exit the game program completely, and reload. Travel and, if you arrive successfully, save again right away. Turn the graphics options back to where you want them, exit, and reload again.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    Thanks
    I use to be very adverse to using mods. However, a number of the game updates (even if you didn't get the EP that goes with them) have made it almost unplayable without the mods that Igazor mentions. So, when I got the updates (because of a computer change and finding that the incrementals no longer worked), even I started using the mods. They've been a life saver. I still occasionally get Code 12 (which is a memory issue, most likely), but at least I don't get the bad bugs anymore!
  • Misscow1PMisscow1P Posts: 366 Member
    After I installed all the expansion packs I started getting the empty UI too
    Twallans Traveler helped a lot
  • Shuffle0FreakShuffle0Freak Posts: 2 New Member
    If I delete DBTravel.package file will I loose all my memories that are on my Sims wall in their house? Like when they go to the Festival and take photos, will they be gone?
  • DJ-Night-SlashDJ-Night-Slash Posts: 2 New Member
    Okay, I don't know how many people still have this issue/check this thread, but I'm a new user (had an account for ages but I am rarely online) and can't post my own issues, so I'm riding the coattails of other threads in search of an answer. I, too, have a form of travel bug, but it only affects University Life--my file isn't corrupted, I have checked many times, and when I play with other families in town (Starlight Shores) I can send them to university no problem. It's when I try to send the three young adults in my primary family away that I get this weird screen--the happiness bar is blue, my simoleons are $0, and I can't access the needs and moodlets panels. I don't know how to fix it, I've deleted the cache files and the dbtravel package files, etc. and nothing works. Is it possible that a single family can be corrupted? It's so weird...please help I put so much into this family and I don't want to lose them ;-;

By the way, removing the .nhd file did NOT work, instead the loading screen turned weird colors and the picture didn't load all the way, and it gave me an error message and told me to reload the application. :neutral:
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited August 2017
    @DJ-Night-Slash - Hi there. Several people on this thread, including me a couple of years ago back there, have recommended using the NRaas Traveler mod together with Overwatch and ErrorTrap to help prevent travel transition failures, which is exactly what you are describing. Nothing has changed, except that the mods have been updated many times since then (a new version of Traveler just last week in fact).

We wouldn't be able to begin to explain why the Uni transition is bouncing with just that one household traveling but not others unless it continues to do so with the mods in play and some script error logs get produced that we could help interpret at NRaas.

If you are truly averse to using mods, the only other suggestions I can offer are:

-- Reduce all graphics settings in Game Options to the ugly bare minimum temporarily (including switching off Advance Rendering) and make sure you are playing offline (not logged in at the Launcher or in-game levels) if you aren't already doing so to reduce stress on the game during the travel process. Of course, you would want to set graphics options back the way you really want them to play forward after a successful arrival.

-- Only attempt travel immediately after starting the game and loading up the save, again to reduce load during the transition.

Of course, then you run the risk of successfully arriving in Uni World but not being able to get your sims back home again at the end of the term if the travel bounce happens going in the other direction as well. However this goes, make sure you have a working save from the homeworld that you can revert to should that be needed, even after the Uni term starts.

Or you may decide that you just need to play around this and not send anyone from that world or that household to Uni.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net