Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will the sims 4 run on windows 10

I would realy like to buy windows 10 but I am too scared the sims 4 will not run on windows 10, I could not find any information on the internet.
Sims 5 artstyle poll Here
monday-to-friday-workweek-graphic.jpg

Comments

• bob007bob007 Posts: 10,062 Member
    Windows 10 is still in the prevue stage and subject to change. My guess is that if the application runs on Windows 7 and Windows 8 it will run on Windows 10. My guess is Microsoft will be a little more cautious and won't release Win 10 until they know it won't bomb (like Win 8). Right now there is no telling how stable Win 10 is and the status of drivers.
    I do not work for EA nor do I have any association with EA. I am a gamer helping other gamers.
  • CodySimsteinCodySimstein Posts: 1,466 Member
    Hello,

To add to what @bob007 has already said, keep in mind that Windows 10 will not be available to purchase until probably late 2015 (maybe even this time next year), by which time support for The Sims 4 may have been confirmed.

At the moment, the Windows 10 "Insider Program" which is probably what you may have heard about being available is only really a technical version of the operating system for companies to start developing or modifying existing programs so they work with Windows 10. I would definitely not try playing The Sims 4 on this technical version, as there are limited drivers available (which allow the operating system to 'talk' to your computer's hardware).

So in short, the best advice is to wait until next year to know the answer to your question.

I hope this helps and keep simming,

Cody
    Member of the Tech Responders team.

Ask me about custom-built PCs!

Need to upgrade? - $400 for high settings in Sims 4 --> http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LtphdC
  • WithoutBrain1234WithoutBrain1234 Posts: 126 Member
    > @thesimsfairy47 said:
    > I would realy like to buy windows 10 but I am too scared the sims 4 will not run on windows 10, I could not find any information on the internet.

Well, when it comes to those type of things, I get really scared and don't take risks. But we don't know, I don't think windows 10 is finished, of course it's not, try and wait to check some news about it and then, you'll have to risk :P
  • chase_paynechase_payne Posts: 58 Member
    Windows 10 is literally windows 8 with a different skin on it, so yes it will run the sims 4.
  • KC8FHSKC8FHS Posts: 96 Member
    I know Sims 3 will run on Windows 10 if you disable DEP. But Windows 10 isn't out for sale yet. It is is still in preview mode (Still Buggy).
  • ThoddyEAThoddyEA Posts: 108 Member
    Sims 4 runs on Windows 10 TP. No problems.
    This poster is not endorsed by or affiliated with Electronic Arts, or its licensors. Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
  • retrosimmerretrosimmer Posts: 1 New Member
    > @KC8FHS said:
    > I know Sims 3 will run on Windows 10 if you disable DEP. But Windows 10 isn't out for sale yet. It is is still in preview mode (Still Buggy).

Came googling for a fix and found this. Not for me it doesn't, not even with DEP disabled. If it's still not working in the release build, I wonder if EA will bother fixing Sims3 for win10 now it's out of favour for their new toy, even though it's still being sold on Origin? :neutral_face:
  • JoxerTM22JoxerTM22 Posts: 5,323 Member
    EA couldn't care less for technical demos of operating systems.
    For all problems you have with technical demos, contact technical demo developers.
    EA has nothing to do with it.
  • thesimsfairy47thesimsfairy47 Posts: 6,116 Member
    Thanks for all your posts they have been very helpfull.
  • bob007bob007 Posts: 10,062 Member
    I do not recommend using a prevue version to replace your existing operating system. Most (if not all) prevue versions have a time bomb in them, In other words the prevue version will stop working (or functions will stop working) after a certain time. This leaves you with few options, reinstall the previous operating system or buying a legal code to keep the operating system running. Most of the time you end up reinstalling either the new legal os or reverting to the previous os you had.
    I do not work for EA nor do I have any association with EA. I am a gamer helping other gamers.
  • DDT20122DDT20122 Posts: 3 New Member
    edited January 2015
    Sims 4 doesn't recognize my AMD driver in the newest Windows 10 Build 9926 that just came out. I guess we need to wait for AMD to release something compatible.

Update: Using compatibility mode for Windows 8 on the Sims 4 icon fixes it for 9926.
    Post edited by DDT20122 on
  • BadmagicBadmagic Posts: 1,610 Member
    ok so I know I'm kinda out of the loop here but... 7, 8, 10... Where is 9?
    @Badmagic

You should know that there have already been two versions of Windows that began with the number 9, specifically Windows 95 and Windows 98.

To save time, some third-party Windows desktop developers used a shorthand to check the version name (not number) of Windows they were installing their app to. Instead of coding apps to check for Windows 95 or Windows 98, developers coded instructions to check for "Windows 9."

That made sense since there were only two versions of Windows that had a nine in their name to that point. It was simply an easier way to figure out which version of Windows the program was dealing with.

Here's a Java code example that's been making the rounds on Google+, Reddit, and Twitter showing just this kind of version checking scheme.

Also check out this Windows 9 search on the code-focused search engine, searchcode, which was first identified by developer Christer Kaitila. At the top of the search results you'll see a bunch of code—again, Java—checking for Windows 9, but not Windows 9.

Microsoft may have looked out at the vast catalog of legacy code and decided the easiest way to avoid an annoying rewrite for all those programs was just to skip Windows 9 and head straight for Windows 10.

Accommodating legacy code may sound ridiculous, but it's certainly a plausible explanation and, if true, it's a smart move by Microsoft to not upset its developer base or potentially mess with customers happily using legacy software.
  • BadmagicBadmagic Posts: 1,610 Member
    Interesting thesimsfairy, thanks for the detailed response, given those details its a fairly reasonable reason.
  • Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    You don't have to buy windows 10 if your a microsoft windows 7 or 8 user, if microsoft wants to get people to move off of windows 7 they need to make sure they drag game compatiblity over. So I am pretty sure by the time the free upgrade for windows 7 and 8 users, the product should be retail and will be free for a limited time of 1 year, hopefully to spawn favortisism and not flop.
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
    @Sid1701D9 I made this thread a long time ago, I'm no longer going to buy a windows 10 computer, but thanks for your help anyway :)
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited January 2015
    @Sid1701D9 I made this thread a long time ago, I'm no longer going to buy a windows 10 computer, but thanks for your help anyway :)

FYI, Windows 10 is actually going to be offered as a free upgrade to Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 users.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.

FYI, Windows 10 is actually going to be offered as a free upgrade to Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 user.

Wow, I didn't know that :D
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    only windiws 8.1 users as you must have the update to install windows 10 free.

Sid1701D9 wrote: »

When will windows 10 be released?
    edited January 2015
    I think sometime late spring early Summer, this is the driving force behind the gaming computers going down below 1,000 dallors, the other driving force is the holiday season, they have to wait until all the windows 7 and 8 computers are bought up before they release it on Laptops and desktops.

Most windows operating system updates don't really affect older games unless the kernal or core of the operating system changes or the bit changes.

Windows Me 95 98 was based of off the windows kernal, as Windows Xp, Vista, 7, 8, 10 are based off of Windows NT Kernal.

I think sometime this spring, this is the driving force behind the gaming computers going down below 1,000 dallors, the other driving force is the holiday season, they have to wait until all the windows 7 and 8 computers are bought up before they release it on Laptops and desktops.

Does that mean the price of all computers will drop?
    edited January 2015
    They already have dropped as soon as microsoft announced the release of windows 10 the price of prebuilt computers dropped this is a good time to buy computers, before poeple need them for Summer trips, and School. This is only for computers that have the older OSes on them.

Edit: A gaming computer before christmas was 1,200 dollars, now some gaming computers are $900 dallors these are laptop computers with windows 8.1

• Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member

Who ever has windows 7 or 8.1 can have the windows 10 for free, on the first year of release I think.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1