Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 Has Stopped Working Unexpectedly

So I've had the game for two days now. It's great, the only thing holding me back is the fact that i don't really have anything planned out and don't know what i want to build or what stories i want to tell yet-but that's my problem. I do however have a few problems with the game so far.

The game is soooo laggy for me. I thought that maybe if I turned the graphics on Medium vs. High the problem might be fixed, but no luck. The Sims seem really animated which is really cute, except I say "seem" because the game is so laggy that when I watch them have a conversation it looks like the sims are having spasms because the animations lag. Is there anything I am missing? everything on my computer is up to requirements. Is there any known fix out there for the lag problem?

The only other issue I have is, tonight I got a message during playing the game saying "Sims 4 has stopped working unexpectedly." My stomach dropped. I had SOO many of these issues in Sims 3. I was really hoping this wouldn't happen for the Sims 4. It's only been two days, my game has no mods, no cc, no anything extra yet. I was building a house, and not even a mansion. Just a tiny house on a regular 30x20 lot. I wasn't even expecting the crash, there was no pause or unresponsiveness beforehand, it just crashed, and I'm heartbroken. Any explantations or possible fixes? How do I prevent this from happening again in the future? Thanks simmers

Comments

• luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    For lag, try playing with Origin offline. That could actually clear up a lot of issues.

Otherwise, if you still have a lot of lag or the crashing starts repeating, bookmark this thread so you can find it again and post your full DxDiag info, game settings, etc.

EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • kathrynmarienkathrynmarien Posts: 239 Member
    I've been having a terrible time trying to save. It started happening after the last patch. I can save a few times without any issue, and then it will crash when I try to save again. Sometimes a save is corrupted during the crash, and I lose it. So I've gotten to the point now where I have five save files and I use "save as" in order to preserve old ones. I also back them up constantly.

I also deleted the whole Sims 4 folder and replaced the new save folder with my back-up, to see if that would help. So now I have all those tutorial messages again--ugh! I don't know if that helped anything, though, because I just did it a few minutes ago. We shall see....
  • FuriosBunnyFuriosBunny Posts: 14 New Member
    Let me know how it goes for you @kathrynmarien! My game keeps crashing unexpectedly. Everything was perfect before I downloaded the latest patch which contains the ghosts, new eye colors, and the Star Wars outfits.
  • SchantalSchantal Posts: 3,082 Member
    It seems the new patch has introduced crashing issues as my game also is having crashing ONLY when I apply the patch. I have a gaming rig.
  • Sasha5567Sasha5567 Posts: 66 Member
    i don't like new patches >_>
  • JanayACollierJanayACollier Posts: 88 Member
    This has been happening to me for the past two days of trying to play. I honestly just gave up. I paid 60 dollars for something I cant even enjoy, I barely have time to play as is.
  • kathrynmarienkathrynmarien Posts: 239 Member
    I'm still getting crashes. I can safely save or save as about twice, and then I may as well exit and reload the game, because further saves are likely to crash me. I also had my first crash during traveling :(
    edited October 2014
    I'm still getting crashes. I can safely save or save as about twice, and then I may as well exit and reload the game, because further saves are likely to crash me. I also had my first crash during traveling :(

Have you tried Repair Game? (Take out mods and CC first, I think. Then check the game without them before you readd.)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    edited October 2014
    @JanayACollier
    That's Sad
    I love sims
    > @Sasha5567 said:
    > JanayACollier
    > That's Sad

Yeah, ive just taken mods out and its not as bad.
  • pearlbhpearlbh Posts: 313 Member
    I had this problem and finally tracked it to custom hair meshes. Took them out, and I haven't had a crash since. There are posts on other forums about hair and clothing meshes causing crashing. Between that and my own experience, I'd say there is definitely a problem with custom meshes causing crashing. Recolors don't seem to be a problem, just completely new meshes. Any of you with crashing issues, if you have any custom meshes, remove them and see if that solves your problem.
  • starrling33starrling33 Posts: 87 Member
    I'm having a lot of crashes while traveling and while saving. I've removed all CC, and even reinstalled the game. I set my graphics low - and STILL having issues. I was just up to my 5th gen Legacy Sim aging up when the patch was installed. Very discouraging, as I'd been having this issue before, but was able to fix it with the graphics change. Now that doesn't even work. :/
    I'm having a lot of crashes while traveling and while saving. I've removed all CC, and even reinstalled the game. I set my graphics low - and STILL having issues. I was just up to my 5th gen Legacy Sim aging up when the patch was installed. Very discouraging, as I'd been having this issue before, but was able to fix it with the graphics change. Now that doesn't even work. :/

Did you do this refresh as well, as part of your reinstallation? http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/resetting-the-game-to-factory-settings-without-reinstalling/

Does the game still crash if you start on a fresh game, or if you roll back your save? http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/783120/how-to-roll-back-your-save
    @pearlbh yeah i took all the hair meshes out my game and some clothing meshes and my game never crashes anymore. It does seem to crash now when I try to download from the gallery though.
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    Everything was fine after first installing...then the first patch and the game crashed a few times. Now, after the ghost patch, I can only play a few minutes before game stops responding. :# The only mod/cc I have is the mod to keep fish from spoiling so fast and ND eyes from MTS. I'm about ready to return to sims 3 where I have a lot of experience fixing issues.

My graphics settings are set to maximum as was when I first dl'ed game. Anyone have any ideas?
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
    bshag4lv wrote: »
    Everything was fine after first installing...then the first patch and the game crashed a few times. Now, after the ghost patch, I can only play a few minutes before game stops responding. :# The only mod/cc I have is the mod to keep fish from spoiling so fast and ND eyes from MTS. I'm about ready to return to sims 3 where I have a lot of experience fixing issues.

My graphics settings are set to maximum as was when I first dl'ed game. Anyone have any ideas?

Pull that CC out and try without; more CC seems to conflict post-patch than pre, and it could be especially the case for the eye CC, as there are new eye colours with the patch.

That might be all you need to do, but you could also do these things:
    Origin > right-click Sims 4 > Repair Game
    http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/resetting-the-game-to-factory-settings-without-reinstalling/
  • cowbells555cowbells555 Posts: 9 New Member
    I love the sims 4, when i can play it. mine keeps crashing (the sims 4 has stoped working ) Microsoft is busy collection info BLA BLA BLA isnt there a patch or something you can just download ? i dont know all of this tech stuff ... its very disappointing. :( if anyone has a step by step easy user manual for me I would appreciate it. or Just tell me do I need to get a new laptop or is it the game itself ?? Thank you
  • anneatanneat Posts: 4 New Member
    edited December 2015
    I have a problem with the crashing when I am in play have tried reinstall and resetting have also tried to sort my graphics out as well the sims are still edgey
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,593 Member
    anneat wrote: »
    I have a problem with the crashing when I am in play have tried reinstall and resetting have also tried to sort my graphics out as well the sims are still edgey

Hello @anneat .
    Remove any cc/mods that you have in the game and see if that helps.

Repairing the game may help. To do that, right click on the sims 4 picture in Origin and click repair.

Sometimes having a large amount of items in the sims inventories and household inventory can cause issues. Remove some of the items from the inventories and see if that helps.

If you are playing on a laptop with a dedicated graphics card, do what is in this thread.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/863606/laptop-users-update-your-card-assignment-for-64bit#latest

If the issue remains, try switching back to 32 bit mode and see if that helps.
    http://help.ea.com/article/when-to-use-the-sims-4-64-bit-or-32-bit-version
    anneat wrote: »

Are you on a laptop or a desktop? Is it 32 bit or 64 bit?
  • TK_nofongTK_nofong Posts: 1 New Member
    My sims 4 keeps crashing on start up and i have tried reinstalling, updating the game, and my software and even play through origin offline but it still keeps crashing, plz help.
  • Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    TK_nofong wrote: »
    My sims 4 keeps crashing on start up and i have tried reinstalling, updating the game, and my software and even play through origin offline but it still keeps crashing, plz help.

Could you post your DxDiag?
    http://help.ea.com/en/article/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/
    If it does not fit, split it up into multiple posts. :)
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,593 Member
    TK_nofong wrote: »

Hello @TK_nofong .
    Move your mods folder to the desktop. Then start the game and test to see if that helps the issues. If it does help, then put your mods/CC back into the newly generated mods folder one by one or in batches and testing after each one to see which is the cause of the problem.

Repairing the game may help. To do that, right click on the sims 4 picture in Origin and click repair.

Try resetting your sims 4 folder and see if that helps. To do that, move your sims 4 folder ( that is in Documents -Electronic Arts - then the sims 4 folder is there ) to the desktop. Then try to start the game, and a new sims 4 folder will be generated. Exit the game and then add back the "options.ini" file and the "saves" , "screenshots" "tray" "custom music " and "mods" folders from the desktop sims 4 folder to the new sims 4 folder, replacing the new generated file/ folders with the old file/folders.

Try starting the game in windowed mode.
    https://help.ea.com/en/article/playing-the-sims-4-in-windowed-mode/

If you are playing on a laptop with a dedicated graphics card, do what is in this thread.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/863606/laptop-users-update-your-card-assignment-for-64bit#latest

Try switching back to 32 bit mode and see if that helps.
    Right click on The Sims 4 tile in Origin.
    Select “Game Properties”
    Change the “When launching this Game” setting to “The Sims 4 32-bit”