Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Save size suddenly bloating? Post here!

luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
edited September 2014 in PC - Technical Discussions
So @ceejay402 and I were thinking we'd start collecting info here about game size bloat. We haven't had it in our games, but other people have, and suddenly, and it seems to be one cause of game crashing too. I'm going to keep an eye out for a SimGuru chat to post in.

In the meantime, if you do have saves that bloated suddenly, please share what you can here! What's your save size? When did it bloat? What can you tell us about your gameplay? Anything at all might be helpful to start!

Useful kinds of info:
  • save size, and also size of folders like Tray, Lotdatacache, Scratch, Cache, and the file localthumbcache.package
  • town population if you count them all in Manage Households
  • town population using the getpopulation mod from Mod the Sims
  • any CC?
  • mods you had when the game bloated?
  • gallery content in the game? (that is, stuff you downloaded from Community and added to your game - lots, Sims ...)
  • value of the households you play, and what's in their inventories
  • your saving workflow (how to you save? how often? how do you exit the game? how often?)
  • how long you'd been playing this game when it bloated
  • anything you've done in an attempt to reduce your save size

And super helpful would be this! If your save file has bloated to over 10 Mb, upload it to Dropbox or Mediafire and add a link here. EA do know about the game bloat problem, and it would be awesome if they could peek into your saves first hand!

Do let me know if there's anything else you'd like to see added to that list!

@crinrict, is there a Bugs forum topic for save game size bloating? I didn't see one but I usually miss when there's already a bug post anyway. (Which is pathetic, given I used to run a forum where I kept track of topics to merge duplicates! I feel guilty now every time I create a duplicate ... )
EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
Post edited by luthienrising on

Comments

• crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    There is a thread somewhere which I have forwarded to the Gurus already. I think they even took a look at the file (not sure).

Let me see if I can find it (later)
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    thanks luthienrising! and crin.

can you update first post to ask people to post info, like size of the saves and also what other info should we ask upfront get to add town pop maybe? amount of gallery content in game and CC
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    ceejay402 wrote: »
    thanks luthienrising! and crin.

can you update first post to ask people to post info, like size of the saves and also what other info should we ask upfront get to add town pop maybe? amount of gallery content in game and CC
    Done :)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    awesome!
  • MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    I'll take a look and get you some data, probably tomorrow morning. I've noticed that the size of the save file has been slowly rising, but it seemed in line with my adding more households to my rotation and having some births etc.
  • cherparcherpar Posts: 2,092 Member
    This is a great thread, been wondering about this. my save went from 7000 k to nearly 60000 in a very short period, within a few days it was 7000 to 40000. I thought this was excessive jump, would this be right? Im not clear why, in fact had just cleaned out sims inventory. When I load my save (7th gen), it uses 3 gb of memory straight away. It remains there 2.8 to mid 3, but pushing beyond 5 hrs the game crashes , presumably out of memory. When I was running earlier ( and not too long ago), I could go for 12 hrs without an issue. I know you need more info, which I will get tomorrow, but is the save size of interest, i.e. sufficiently large?
    cherpar wrote: »
    This is a great thread, been wondering about this. my save went from 7000 k to nearly 60000 in a very short period, within a few days it was 7000 to 40000. I thought this was excessive jump, would this be right? Im not clear why, in fact had just cleaned out sims inventory. When I load my save (7th gen), it uses 3 gb of memory straight away. It remains there 2.8 to mid 3, but pushing beyond 5 hrs the game crashes , presumably out of memory. When I was running earlier ( and not too long ago), I could go for 12 hrs without an issue. I know you need more info, which I will get tomorrow, but is the save size of interest, i.e. sufficiently large?

Definitely large enough to be of interest! Plus the kind of sudden bloating behaviour other people have described. Would you be open to posting your game online where a developer can access it too? I believe they have one, but it takes more than one of anything to track most bugs :)
    Sure am at work, but will answer tonight and happy to share. can you let me know a site to post the file to ( which ones the current save and when it was 7000k. Or 7k and the large first jump?
    cherpar wrote: »
    Sure am at work, but will answer tonight and happy to share. can you let me know a site to post the file to ( which ones the current save and when it was 7000k. Or 7k and the large first jump?

People seem to be using Dropbox and Mediafire - whichever you prefer :) I suspect that the 7k and the first jump would be helpful! But I'm guessing at that.
  • MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    Okay, went back and looked at my saves. I don't have any sudden bloat like that, just normal incremental increases over a period of time.
    edited October 2014
    Some more information as per the first post

for same game on 7th generation:
    -on 19/9 at 1pm, save size was 7,262K
    -on same day (19/9), 11pm size moved to 35 094 (something strange in that the saves around 3pm had vero files in 30 k but the save file is still 7k. At 11pm the save file then moves to 35k
    -current save size is nearly 51K - to just load this save will already bring memory usage to 2.9/3GB.(this is really worrying me).
    -current entire save folder is 5 GB
    -current tray is just under 4MB
    -Lotdatacache 5.79MB
    -Scratch 32MB
    -cache 82KB
    -local thumb cache 1.24KB

town population: living in houses 30 residents. There are currently 4 Not in World sims, but the game deletes them (as per other reports) nightly if they are not living in a house.

population using mod: not sure, will post later, once get hold of mod.

no CC as far as I am aware (i.e. have downloaded a few things from gallery and no CC was indicated). No mods or cc that I have put in game.

have used gallery. minimal though. Downloaded a few houses.

current household - resides in Cypress Terrace in Willow Creek. Lot is worth 272,863. cash at hand is 557,000. Build mode inventory has 9 rows, but with most single objects, e.g. collectables, pictures, some career objects. Did have a massive inventory with hundreds of plants (that seemed to be preventing me moving in NPCs around 4th gen, game would crash, but have cleaned it out since then). I had already moved house when the game file size bloated, and the last house was also pretty big (Garden Essence - Chrillsims, gallery), so it doesn't seem to be about the house.

saving - don't load autosave, manual load of last manual save, use save as for each load, save very regularly, and then exit without saving.

game was started on 4/09. have played regularly, mostly on this family. origin hours are 190 (minus 25 hours or so on demo), so nearly I'd say about 160 hrs on this game play...

no idea on how to try to reduce save size. I further cleaned out inventory, but there is not really a lot there. I try to clean out the personal inventory pretty regularly as well, as a lot of plants are collected.

will link to saves when done.

thanks, happy to clarify anything or provide more info.

Edit: also have not played any other families, just one active family.

Post edited by cherpar on
    @cherpar, was your townie generation always that low? Or did there used to be more townies? (My current game -- first generation -- is at about 55 housed Sims, 55 townies.) Now I'm wondering if the issues that devs are already looking into with population management might be related to save size for people playing long multigenerational stories.
    @luthienrising, I think you are right - townie generation was much more active in the earlier generations and it was a lively town. I think I only get the few needed NPC generating now; eg mailperson etc. Sometimes there are no NPC at all in Not in world. there was a little moving in of NPC (by the game) earlier on, but now it doesn't seem to happen much at all. I think I have seen one person moved in by the game over the last few generations. I have to manage it myself and it gets tiresome, so that's why I haven't got a large population of live in residents...(so miss Twallan's SP).

Links to save files ( I used the file called Save; not ver - hope that is right):

http://www.mediafire.com/download/4r1buu3ru2a3cbu/Slot_0000002e.save

Never used sharing tools like this before, so if I've done something wrong, please let me know. It includes the pre, bloated and current save.
  • simonevans1963simonevans1963 Posts: 206 Member
    I have suffered from bloating!

Here is the info I have ... I don't have everything because I have cleared caches, and refreshed files a few times since it happened.

In terms of my habits, I always do "save as" and close the game without saving. I save regularly, I try to save every 30 mins or so of gameplay unless something significant occurs (age-up, birth etc) in which case I save again. I play one household mainly (when bloating occurred they were on 4th/5th generation), but do a little bit of micro-managing of the rest of the neighbourhoods in absence of story progression to keep them going e.g. moving in sims, marrying them, adding kids etc, so most the lots have occupants. I hardly ever download sims or make my own for the game, I like to be "authentic" and add sims who are "not inworld", so the neighbourhoods get along without too much interference from me. I do get new "not inworld" characters arrive when my sims go to community lots or hire bartenders etc ... but unless I go to manage households quickly and add them into one of the households or any empty lots they quickly vanish. This hasn't always been the case and to begin with I had non-inworld characters and families appear on the scene age and die but not anymore. I think this is because I am well over the 180 population limit, which apparently is the cut off when non-inworld characters get culled.

Anyway, in my case bloating occurred in the space between two saves: save no. 341 on Sept 22nd 6.14pm and save no. 342 at 6.55pm. Here are some comparisons ... apart from actual save size, there is hardly any difference in what I can see:

Save size: post bloat 18562KB, pre bloat 6841KB
    Pop size overall: post bloat 288, pre bloat 286
    Inworld sims: post bloat 80, pre bloat 80 (there are "empty" households included in the manage household sections, which are dead sims)
    Not inworld sims: post bloat 11, pre bloat 9
    Cash: post bloat 260510, pre bloat 259562

In terms of what is in the inventories, there is a fair amount but nothing excessive, just a few promotion gifts, that kind of thing. The family lives in Brook bungalow, with what was already there and a few other odds and ends (computers etc). From what I can see nothing unusual happened in my family between saves.

In terms of mods I have a whole load about 40 altogether ... some custom content, but most of it is stuff to improve gameplay (no highlight, get population, buyable vehicles, extra caffeine, teen jobs for all, etc). The one thing that did happen around this time, is that I added the no genealogicide mod (I was already suffering from vanishing sims at the time) .... I am not sure if this had anything to do with the bloating although as you can see there was virtually no change in population size between saves.

Hope this is useful! I don't want to upload my saves anywhere, sorry about that.

@simonevans1963 That pop. size is definitely not being capped at 180! IIRC @crinrict had an oversized population too, though, but not file bloating? That's probably buried in the Bugs forum somewhere, and I'm plum at finding things there ...
  • simonevans1963simonevans1963 Posts: 206 Member
    Sorry what I mean by capped is that any "townies" that are added for whatever reason are quickly culled, because the pop size is over 180. Yes I came across crinrict having the same population problem as me, both of us have big populations but no new sims saved unless we move them into a lot ... can't remember if that was on crinrict's bugs forum or MTS or here either.

On Sims 3 I have a very similar play style (one household over several generations) and used NRaaS mods to keep that running smoothly. However, I used to get huge saves (200MB+) even with memories switched off, til I discovered the marvellous "save cleaner" mod, which cut my save size by two-thirds at least ... not sure how it works, I think it gets rid of snapshots that get made everytime you enter CAS or something ... anyhow I hope some similar miracle cure arrives for TS4 soon!
    Friendly bump in case anyone else has info to post
    i would be interested in knowing if the latest patch helped or had no effect with save file sizes for anyone?
    @ceejay402, it hasn't reduced my save size, still increasing but just what I would think would be normal increases. There was only one instance of it increasing rapidly.
  • ElnVldElnVld Posts: 22 Member
    edited October 2014
    I can't post here normally. I got message: "You have to be around for a little while longer before you can post links." But I've the same problem.
    ElnVld wrote: »
    I can't post here, I got message: "You have to be around for a little while longer before you can post links."
    You could change the . to DOT etc. and post that, I think.
  • ElnVldElnVld Posts: 22 Member
    Well, I already posted here:answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4/Save-size-suddenly-bloating/m-p/3697545#U3697545
  • michaelolivamichaeloliva Posts: 49 Member
    Has there been any update or news on this at all? Maybe someone can come up with a process to clean our saves without hosing everything?

My saves has suddenly shot up to 44MB each. And the game saves 6 versions for each save (.save, .save.ver0, .save.ver1, .save.ver2, .save.ver3, .save.ver4) plus another set of 6 for the auto save.

I had been saving to multiple different numbered save files but the last couple of days my save folder shot up to 2GB so I backed up most of it to One Drive and am just going to work off of one save and keep re-saving to that from now on I guess. I don't have the space to have gigabytes and gigabytes of bloated save files.

The only way I can think of right now to maybe solve it even temporarily is to upload the family and the house to the Gallery, completely wipe everything and reinstall from scratch and then add that lot back. But that's really drastic and I'd lose all the friends and family who don't reside with them and everyone in the entire neighborhood so I'd rather not have to do that.
    Has there been any update or news on this at all? Maybe someone can come up with a process to clean our saves without hosing everything?<br />
    <br />
    My saves has suddenly shot up to 44MB each. And the game saves 6 versions for each save (.save, .save.ver0, .save.ver1, .save.ver2, .save.ver3, .save.ver4) plus another set of 6 for the auto save.<br />
    <br />
    I had been saving to multiple different numbered save files but the last couple of days my save folder shot up to 2GB so I backed up most of it to One Drive and am just going to work off of one save and keep re-saving to that from now on I guess. I don't have the space to have gigabytes and gigabytes of bloated save files.<br />
    <br />
    The only way I can think of right now to maybe solve it even temporarily is to upload the family and the house to the Gallery, completely wipe everything and reinstall from scratch and then add that lot back. But that's really drastic and I'd lose all the friends and family who don't reside with them and everyone in the entire neighborhood so I'd rather not have to do that.

Those .varX files are your previous saves, actually. Just Windows can only show you the date the files were renamed.

What happened in your gameplay around when the filesize bloated?
  • michaelolivamichaeloliva Posts: 49 Member
    Not much in particular I can think of. I did add a ton of plants. I mean A LOT. So maybe that? I tried getting rid of my tray folder to remove all the sims and houses downloaded from the gallery and elsewhere but it didn't help.

I have a fair amount of custom content, mostly clothing. I wouldn't think that would do it since it just adds textures mostly and those shouldn't be getting saved in the save file, not the actual textures, maybe just a reference to them but that should be small.

I do notice the size keeps creeping up. It's now over 50 MB. I haven't added more plants though and if anything I took some away.

I guess next thing I can go through and try deleting some households who none of my sims are friends with and see if that helps. :-/ I'm really at my wit's end on what to try and the file size keeps creeping up and up.