Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Motherboard

Felicia1990Felicia1990 Posts: 248 Member
I'm having trouble trying to figure out what type of motherboard I have. I've been physically looking at the inside of my computer and I can't seem to locate a name on it!

The reason as to why I'm checking to see what type of motherboard I have is because I want to know how much more RAM it's able to take! I would like to add another 2 RAM.

Help?

Comments

• Options
    NellyStardustNellyStardust Posts: 24 New Member
    Try finding it through 'System Information'. Open the 'Run' dialog box and type "msinfo32" (if you have Windows 8, just type that on the start screen) and it'll open up a System Information page with bunches of info about your computer. Hope you're able to find what you're looking for!
  • Options
    > @NellyStardust said:
    > Try finding it through 'System Information'. Open the 'Run' dialog box and type "msinfo32" (if you have Windows 8, just type that on the start screen) and it'll open up a System Information page with bunches of info about your computer. Hope you're able to find what you're looking for!

It tells me the baseboard manufacturer which is an ASUSTek Computer Inc.

Under baseboard model it says not available and as well as baseboard name it says not available.

Smh...
  • Options
    How am I ever suppose to know what the information is! It's very frustrating.
  • Options
    Bump.
  • Options
    KatryinKatryin Posts: 125 Member
    The system scanner at crucial.com should tell you what type and how much RAM it currently has in it and what your options are for installing more RAM.
  • Options
    losticonlosticon Posts: 215 New Member
    This doesn't need to get so complicated as downloading programs to find out.

If you go to your Start Menu ... RIGHT click once on "Computer" and select "Properties"

The page that opens will tell you how much RAM you have.

Once you know how much RAM you have, actually look your motherboard.

Do you you know what the RAM stick(s) look like? Long and narrow with clips on each end.

Are there empty slots on either side that look exactly the same but have no actual stick inserted?

If so, those are expansion slots for RAM, which means you can definitely upgrade your RAM without issue because the motherboard is already accommodating for more sticks.

Even if there are no empty slots you may still be able to upgrade your current RAM sticks by replacing them with bigger sticks, however, you need to run testing on your specific system in order to determine whether there is any point in doing that, as generally any store-bought system without extra slots means that the RAM sticks already in place are the highest ones the system will accommodate effectively. You could still stick bigger sticks in, it just won't make any difference at all to the performance of your machine if the rest of the hardware is not advanced enough to use the additional RAM.

If your system is a store-bought then simply take down the model number and google "how much RAM can I add to ***" where *** is the exact model of your machine. You will then get search results, check over the top five results and as long as the responses are consistent, then you can confidently go and purchase the RAM that everyone is saying you can have.

Another way to find the exact name of the motherboard is to go to the manufacturer's website (Asus) and type in your system model number ... and it should actually be able to tell you right on the website if you can upgrade the RAM, what the maximum is that will even work, as well as the type of stick(s) you need.

The Asus website actually has tools where it will scan your system for you and tell you what the hardware is that you are using on your machine, including the motherboard.
  • Options
    > @losticon said:
    > This doesn't need to get so complicated as downloading programs to find out.
    >
    > If you go to your Start Menu ... RIGHT click once on "Computer" and select "Properties"
    >
    > The page that opens will tell you how much RAM you have.
    >
    > Once you know how much RAM you have, actually look your motherboard.
    >
    > Do you you know what the RAM stick(s) look like? Long and narrow with clips on each end.
    >
    > Are there empty slots on either side that look exactly the same but have no actual stick inserted?
    >
    > If so, those are expansion slots for RAM, which means you can definitely upgrade your RAM without issue because the motherboard is already accommodating for more sticks.
    >
    > Even if there are no empty slots you may still be able to upgrade your current RAM sticks by replacing them with bigger sticks, however, you need to run testing on your specific system in order to determine whether there is any point in doing that, as generally any store-bought system without extra slots means that the RAM sticks already in place are the highest ones the system will accommodate effectively. You could still stick bigger sticks in, it just won't make any difference at all to the performance of your machine if the rest of the hardware is not advanced enough to use the additional RAM.
    >
    > If your system is a store-bought then simply take down the model number and google "how much RAM can I add to ***" where *** is the exact model of your machine. You will then get search results, check over the top five results and as long as the responses are consistent, then you can confidently go and purchase the RAM that everyone is saying you can have.
    >
    > Another way to find the exact name of the motherboard is to go to the manufacturer's website (Asus) and type in your system model number ... and it should actually be able to tell you right on the website if you can upgrade the RAM, what the maximum is that will even work, as well as the type of stick(s) you need.
    >
    > The Asus website actually has tools where it will scan your system for you and tell you what the hardware is that you are using on your machine, including the motherboard.

Thank you!