Runaway Teen Challenge [Updated 3/23/17]

Rainydayz179Rainydayz179 Posts: 3,329 Member
Update! When I originally adapted the Sims 3 rules for Sims 4 I never really thought that it would catch on and that people would follow these "rules." I was wrong. It was pointed out to me recently that they've never been updated in the over two years since I wrote them and with all of the game packs and expansion packs that have been released it really needed to be. I also made a few changes regarding the 10x10 area and a few other things. Since I no longer update my old blogger blog they have a new home on my wordpress blog here:

Runaway Teen Challenge Rules [Updated 2/24/17]

If anyone thinks of something that I missed you can comment on the blog post or on the thread here. Thanks!

09-28-14_9-56%C2%A0PM.png

For a chapter list of my run-through of the challenge with Lyla go here: Runaway Teen Challenge.

Rules adapted from StardustX's original rules:
  1. You cannot build any kind of shelter for yourself until you have earned the simoleans to do so.
  2. You cannot have any electronics or appliances or cell phone access (put it on silent) until you have a home. (At least 1 kitchen, 1 bath and 1 bedroom)
  3. You can’t have a part-time job. You can’t have a full-time job when you are a young adult until you have a home. (At least 1 kitchen, 1 bath and 1 bedroom)
  4. You cannot cook/shower/etc on other people’s lots or interact with adults until you are a young adult. You’re a runaway they’ll report you as such. If your social meter gets low, you can interact with children or other teens.
  5. You can shower and use the bathroom at any public place like the gym.
  6. You can fish, garden and dig all you want and sell them.
  7. You can’t go to school. You have to cancel go to school each day. This will not affect traits.
  8. Each time you travel you subtract $10 simoleans from your funds using the money cheat.

The goal is to survive. There are no “points”. You are simply trying to survive, start a new life for yourself. You should aim for having a high paying job, children and a big house. The main thing you are doing is getting money the old way by fishing, gardening, and collecting.

Additional notes:
  • Update: Starting with the 3/2/17 game patch we can now create teen only households.
  • In the years since I’ve adapted this challenge, I’ve only seen a few people actually make the 10×10 area on their lot. I can’t blame them. I was just trying to find a way to stick to the Sims 3 rules as much as possible and in that game, you could create a 10×10 lot. So forget lot sizes! Putting in a bunch of landscaping to box in an area makes the bills high.
  • If you opt to make the teen look grungy and unkempt (which is kinda hard in Sims 4 without CC anyway) then you should “buy” them nicer clothes in CAS as soon as they’ve made a little money. Looking like a bum will attract too much attention.
    gnome.jpg
  • If you don’t want to use the money cheat each time you’ve traveled to subtract $10, which frankly gets annoying really quick, purchase one of these Happy Gnomiversary! gnomes out of the decor-sculptures section and either put it in your household inventory or build an army of gnomes. This will increase your bills… which would make it more of a challenge.
  • Not going to school is much easier if you que up some actions before 8am. Then you can just cancel out the “go to school” action. If they go to school you need to make them go home. Some players have sent their teens to school stating that it would attract more attention not going. It’s up to you but I’m keeping the rules as per the originals as much as possible.
  • There still aren’t sleeping bags so if you don’t want to sleep on the bench, which I suggest, you can buy an Outdoor Retreat tent or a Get Together party bush before dropping your funds to $0. In my opinion, a runaway having the money for a bed seems unrealistic. To drop your funds do cntrl+shift+C type testingcheats on and then money 0.
  • Your teen may move from lot to lot or apartment to apartment if you wish. Perhaps they’re trying to keep under the radar by moving around.
  • Putting your phone on silent is pretty pointless in this game. It doesn’t work without mods so just try to ignore all of the texts and invitations that pop up every day. No accepting invites unless it is from another teen or a child.
  • At the very start of the challenge if you’re not keeping all of the pre-made sims in the game I would suggest either creating or downloading from the gallery a household or more with teens and children so that your teen will have someone to socialize with. See also the rule regarding clubs to make this easier.
  • Outdoor Retreat: Your runaway may take a vacation to Granite Falls but may only camp at the campsite, not the cabins.
  • Spa Day: You may add a spa to your game and use this as an additional place to shower and up your needs.
  • Dining Out: You may add a restaurant to your game and your runaway can eat there if they have the funds and use it to up other needs. This may draw attention so it would be preferable if they invite another teen or child to dine with them.
  • Vampires: Your teen can be a vampire since this doesn’t affect aging in the teen stage but I have no idea how it would be possible to make money without burning to a crisp. Perhaps if they lived in an apartment and only collected things to sell in the dark?
  • Get to Work: Your teen can be an alien
  • Get to Work: Your teen may visit retail lots and planet Sixam. It would draw less attention if they visited retail lots with other teens or children. I’ve had players mention making or downloading retail lots from the gallery and using them to shop for all of their household items to make it more realistic as well.
  • Get Together: Your teen can be in a club but only if this club is other teens and children. This would be an easy way to meet them for social as well. No starting meetings on the home lot, you must travel for meetings.
  • City Living: Your teen may start in an apartment. For more difficulty pick one with the “Needs TLC” trait. I would highly suggest against the Gremlins trait until your teen has enough handiness to repair electronics.
  • City Living: Substitute the rule for a tent or party bush with a blow-up mattress or cheap bed if you opt to start in an apartment.
  • City Living: Your teen can visit any of the festivals. It’s best if they bring another teen or child along to blend in.
  • City Living: Your teen can collect globes and posters to sell but cannot have a street table to sell things until they are a young adult. It would draw too much attention.
  • City Living: You can freely order from vendors. Any teen would do this. If adults talk while you’re eating it’s fine to respond but you must leave after finishing. It would look very suspicious if the teen suddenly got up and moved when someone made conversation. In my and others experience, it’s almost impossible to eat in a park or in the city without some darned adult striking up a conversation. Canceling it out gets very annoying.
  • City Living: You can only visit a karaoke bar with other teens and children. This would be a great place for a club hangout.

If anyone can think of something that I missed please let me know. I tried to remember anything that people have brought up over the last few years. Regarding using mods to enable teen pregnancy: I would suggest against it since it’s against the teen rating for the game. If you want to make it more difficult you can start with a toddler or child brother or sister to care for.

There are no points. There is no endgame or goal other than building a nice home/apartment for your teen. Most people continue playing their teens once they are young adults. Some have used them as the founder of legacies or other challenges. This would be a fun way to create a background story for your founder since you get to play it out.
Post edited by Rainydayz179 on

Comments

• Rainydayz179Rainydayz179 Posts: 3,329 Member
    Due to computer problems I won't be able to work on this challenge for awhile. I think that if you check my blog post there is enough information for you to start your own runaway challenge. Please let me know how it's going if you do! Thanks.
  • Alyssia29Alyssia29 Posts: 127 Member
    I will do it ! when you say box in a 10x10 area do you mean we put like tree and stuff to make the lot appear 10x10 ?
  • 15MagPies15MagPies Posts: 416 Member
    Yes! I really enjoyed this challenge!
    And that picture is priceless haha :)
    Alyssia29 wrote: »
    I will do it ! when you say box in a 10x10 area do you mean we put like tree and stuff to make the lot appear 10x10 ?

Yep I just put trees and stuff in the rest of the lot. Good luck!
    10-03-14_8-18%C2%A0PM.png

If you didn't know already guess what? I got my computer working! Time to get back to my challenges. Here is chapter one of the Runaway Teen Challenge: rainygamez.blogspot.com/2014/10/ts4-runaway-teen-challenge-gathering.html

btw: I just had to take a pic of this weird clown looking person who was following my teen.
  • RonusBloodsmithRonusBloodsmith Posts: 76 Member
    I just started the runaway challenge on my youtube channel. Took my sims guardian 3 days to die.... GAH
    Cool what's the link?
    Won't let me post the link, Youtube name is the same as here RonusBloodsmith. Only have the Runaway Intro up at this moment, processing Day 1 now.
    Won't let me post the link, Youtube name is the same as here RonusBloodsmith. Only have the Runaway Intro up at this moment, processing Day 1 now.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ZNVTMsddVIs

@RonusBloodsmith I was just saying in my last blog post that it doesn't make sense that the rules require a livingroom and not a kitchen, I totally agree with you. You really picked a great lot that has a closeby bathroom. I had to go to the park or gym every time! I lucked out finding teens. The first one was at the park doing homework so I knew he was a teen and the other 2 are Cassandra Goth and Malcolm Landgrab which I knew were teens. I did look at her relationships yesterday and there was a teen boy on there and I have no idea where she met him. I am playing on normal because I don't want it to mess up the other challenges I have going. She's almost a young adult already so I can see what you mean about playing on long.
  • MegglesMeggles Posts: 3,825 Member
    Great, another challenge to distract me from my Legacy and ISBI! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Might have to start this one, too!
    Megg87 wrote: »
    Great, another challenge to distract me from my Legacy and ISBI! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Might have to start this one, too!

At least this one isn't 10 generations! I want to do a ISBI too. I love challenges! :smile:

@Rainydayz179 I'll have to remember about Cassandra and Malcolm being I am staying in the same neighborhood as the Goths I should spot Cassandra easy enough. I noticed yesterday after doing my post that you mentioned the kitchen thing too. Well thanks for joining my channel, I'll be putting up some more tomorrow.
    10-08-14_3-37%C2%A0PM.png

We have a house! One day left until Lyla ages up to young adult. Here's my blog post: rainygamez.blogspot.com/2014/10/ts4-runaway-teen-challenge-we-have-house.html
    @Rainydayz179 I'll have to remember about Cassandra and Malcolm being I am staying in the same neighborhood as the Goths I should spot Cassandra easy enough. I noticed yesterday after doing my post that you mentioned the kitchen thing too. Well thanks for joining my channel, I'll be putting up some more tomorrow.

Yea I changed the rules. I took out living room and put in kitchen instead. It just makes more sense.
    Agreed, oh and congrats getting a full house up! I hope Lyla a Happy Simmy Birthday!
    Agreed, oh and congrats getting a full house up! I hope Lyla a Happy Simmy Birthday!

Thanks I just hope she doesn't burn down the house baking her cake!
  • jessathemessajessathemessa Posts: 2,342 Member
    This sounds like an awesome challenge. I've been looking for something new to do while the genetics are being wonky. I think I'll start one tonight. Your story is great so far!
    @jessathemessa Good Luck Jess, it is a fun challenge. I didn't get much scavenging today, but got a good prize anyway. ;)
    This sounds like an awesome challenge. I've been looking for something new to do while the genetics are being wonky. I think I'll start one tonight. Your story is great so far!

Good luck it's a fun short challenge. It's nice to have a break from my legacy.
  • KaleniyaKaleniya Posts: 168 Member
    I'm half way considering doing this too due to the whole genetics thing that needs to be fixed. I don't want to progress too far with my ISBI and have it affect new kids that might be born into the game. I guess I'll see whether or not it gets fixed in a few days. Either way I'd like to do this eventually. It looks like a lot of fun :]
    Kaleniya wrote: »
    I'm half way considering doing this too due to the whole genetics thing that needs to be fixed. I don't want to progress too far with my ISBI and have it affect new kids that might be born into the game. I guess I'll see whether or not it gets fixed in a few days. Either way I'd like to do this eventually. It looks like a lot of fun :]

What genetics thing is that?
  • Glimmer50Glimmer50 Posts: 2,200 Member
    Kaleniya wrote: »

What genetics thing is that?

Square jaw, small eyes bug. You can read about it here: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/793258/small-eyes-wide-jaw-glitch#latest
  • Glimmer50Glimmer50 Posts: 2,200 Member
    edited October 2014
    I love these kinds of challenges so I think I will start this one since I need a break from my legacy and a fix for the genetics thing. So, you have to stay on your lot until the guardian dies, then the challenge begins. So, once the guardian dies then I am thinking no fridge, toilet, shower until you have a house to put them in? Is that right? I think that is how I am going to play it ..makes more sense.

Oh and can I start building a shack when I have the money as I go or do I have to wait until I have roughly 5 grand to build the house?