Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

CAS Geometry Resource Description (Resource Type 0x015a1849)

SimGuruModSquadSimGuruModSquad Posts: 597 Member
edited March 5 in Nominated Threads
Hey all,

In another thread I was asked for more details on the CAS Geometry resource. Attached to this thread is a zip file containing a .bt file for this resource.

I expect there will be questions about the stitch data, I have not had time to compile very detailed description of how that works - will try and get more info on that in the near future.

Thanks.

P.s. As mentioned in the documentation package, .bt files can be read with 010 Editor, or just via a text editor.
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• cmarinetticmarinetti Posts: 147 Member
    Thank you!!!
    cmarNYC on MTS.
  • _orangemittens__orangemittens_ Posts: 512 Member
  • SimKureeSimKuree Posts: 39 Member
    Thank you so much!
    You can find my S4PE here.
  • _A__A_ Posts: 56 Member
    Thanks SimGuruModSquad, this is very helpful.
  • simhelaenesimhelaene Posts: 10 New Member
    Thank you for being so responsive to the community, @SimGuruModSquad!
  • LeviniLevini Posts: 45 Member
    Thank you for giving this to us. This is gonna be very very helpful :D
    -This Space for rent!-
    edited September 2014
    LOL, I can see my high school math and geometry are going to get a workout. I hope you'll be able to give us a description of the stitch data as well soon. And if we could also get some information on the second UV set, which I believe isn't actually a UV map, that would be great.
    Post edited by cmarinetti on
    cmarNYC on MTS.
  • fashionxswaggerfashionxswagger Posts: 11 New Member
    so does this mean that their will finally be ts3 hair in ts4?
  • _orangemittens__orangemittens_ Posts: 512 Member
    edited September 2014
    Right now there is no tool that can put a brand new custom hair into the game. This information is to help tool makers make a tool that can. :)
    awesome! so when it comes possible for hair does that mean its will also be possible for ts3 clothes to transfer over?
    Clothes and hair work the same way, so yes. :)
    cmarNYC on MTS.
    edited September 2014
    Im so happy!
    Post edited by fashionxswagger on
    edited September 2014
    > @cmarinetti said:
    > Clothes and hair work the same way, so yes. :)

Actually you didn't mention adjusting it to fit the TS4 body, which if you noted was way different from the TS3 body in many ways and locations. Hairs and clothing will need a lot of adjustment and fixing to fit into TS4.

Hairs themselves need to be Completely refitted and adjusted to fit a TS4 model, mostly because from the past games the head sizing is simply too large. You need to also adjust the hair for the Hat morphs. Don't forget to reanimate it because the TS4 model has less bones than the TS3 model. don't forget a full remapping of the hair to fit on the TS4 texture spacing.

Clothing, You will have to lengthen the legs, match seams for ankles and neck. and resize the general body itself to look anything close to in game and good. You'll also have to redo the bones and completely remap the item to a TS4 body. Don't forget you will also need to work with base morphs (if applicable).

Cmar, I respect you as a person in modding but please do not underexplain something or try to misinform people, especially when it's something pretty sensitive to people (Ala clothing and hairs).

EDIT because I forgot a point to make: Even if you were to do the mesh for 4, it would still look very poopy, given the fact that Ts4 body meshes are slightly higher in polycount than TS3 meshes. Notably you'd be best off taking the textures you wanted and simply making a New mesh with TS4 bits and bobbins rather than a conversion of a specific mesh.
    -This Space for rent!-
  • Trash_Trash_ Posts: 5 New Member
    I only have the CAS demo right now but nice custom hair would help me decide on getting the full game.
    All that is true. However, if/when it becomes possible to do the calculations to convert hair meshes from other sources into the TS4 format it will also be possible for clothing, which is all I said and which is the topic of this thread. I wasn't 'trying to misinform' anyone.
    cmarNYC on MTS.
    But there will still have to be mesh adjustments. You leaving that out in your post gives the misinformation that a user can do a straight 3to4 conversion without any consequence or fixing of the item itself and because of that will lead to a lot more problems when people do try that. It's better to give full information to an inquiry than to dumb it down to one sentence.
    -This Space for rent!-
    edited September 2014
    You're right; I answered from my own technical viewpoint of the data structures involved, and didn't say anything about the level of difficulty - which I'm not really familiar with since that's not my area of expertise. I'm mainly a programmer and only do a limited amount of meshing and texturing, and have never even attempted a conversion myself.

I apologize if anyone got the impression from my reply that conversions would be easy; I certainly didn't mean to imply that or to withhold information. However, you could have left an informative explanation without the personal criticism. And I think this conversation is over.
    cmarNYC on MTS.
    Where in any of my explanations did I leave any personal Criticisms? Did I say anything about your knowledge or imply you were completely incompetent because you provided only half an answer? No, I simply explained that you spoke without knowing both sides to the question. You may have understanding from a technical point of view but your answer will toss quite a lot of CAS meshers under the bus by giving people who don't do CAS based meshing or have no experience in doing such an assumption that a straight conversion from TS3 to TS4 would be if anything simple to do when it really is not and is essentially not really worth it in dependence on the item.

If you want to take that explanation and the fact that you got called out on not giving proper information or misinforming as a personal attack, by all means go for it, but I am not gonna let you sit here and try to tell me or anyone else that I attacked you in any way. As said before I respect you as a Coder who is trying to mod TS4 too, but you trying to draw out an explanation and turn it into a smear against your name is really immature of you, and you trying to shut me down with your little "well I'm ending this because I don't like how you responded to me" is also quite immature of you.
    -This Space for rent!-
  • IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    edited September 2014
    Message deleted, I give up.
    edited October 2014
    Ah yes, the immature card, LOL. I cut the discussion off because it's very inappropriate to get into a childish squabble here on the EA forums where the community is trying to help each other and interact with EA/Maxis, who are probably thinking how silly we are. I know how to walk away from a pointless argument but if you want to continue this in private, you know how to reach me.

Edit for EA's censorship of a fairly inoffensive word, which made my comment look very strange. :D
    Post edited by cmarinetti on
    cmarNYC on MTS.
  • brujah236brujah236 Posts: 14 New Member
    Has there been any additional information gathered regarding the Second UV and it's purpose?
  • IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    If it's anything like the 2nd UV for an object in those it was for large objects such as ploppable shells where they needed extra large textures cos a normal size one would be too stretched. So they used two diffuse maps. Bloomsbase (http://bootstrap.modthesims.info/member.php?u=3422972) could explain further as it was he who seemed to know all about the object one. Also Cmar seems interested in the caspart 2nd UV so she might know what it's for.
    The second UV affects the body morphs. If it's removed, the body morphs still work, making me think they're all bone morphs, but there are distortions and clipping of meshes. It also seems to affect which sliders are used on which parts of the body - with no UV2 the breast slider doesn't work properly and affects the stomach and the arm sliders don't seem to be selectable. Calculating the second UV for an original mesh baffles me since I see sets of vertices that are identical in every other way but have different UV2 coordinates.

Plus a few meshes have a third UV. :\

This is all just guessing at this time of course.
    cmarNYC on MTS.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top