Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

So about Maternity leave?

Can we please have it back but optional?
I mean I love that people who didn't like it don't have to use it anymore, but it should at least be optional. I mean a career like chef, tech guru and such I can imagine going to pregnant and all. But can you imagine going into space with a little baby inside you as an astronaut, or even better, as a secret agent going around in that skin tight dress shooting bad guys and doing all kinds of stealthy work? IT makes no sense to go to work like that. I guess you could always imagine that they temporarily have you do less stress inducing work but still :/

How do you guys feel about this?
e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png

Comments

• sarahzsmylsarahzsmyl Posts: 1,307 Member
    I see this one a lot. Maternity leave isn't gone. At least not entirely. Your Sim won't take a performance hit if this miss one or two days of work. Simply cancel the action to go to work when it appears. Now, I will concede they don't get PAID for it any more. So, if you mean PAID maternity leave, then yes...I'd like to see it come back, too.

Plus, having my Sim go to work while she's in labor is a little far fetched. IRL, I worked until the day I delivered, but you can bet I called in sick when those contractions started!
    Origin, Steam, PSN, XBL - FyreFlyeRush

• MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    Most women don't take leave until the baby is born; that's when they need the time off. But as to the game, it would be nice if it were optional so folks who want to take leave either before or after the birth can do so. I miss how they built up vacation days in TS2.
  • Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member
    I think you should have PAID leave from the 2nd trimester until 3 sim days after the birth.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    For me, I like it the way it is. I like being able to have a female sim be able to advance far in her career. In Sims3, once my family started having children, it was almost like the female sim had to choose between being a mother and being successful, but that is just me.

I wouldn't mind it if a sim had 'personal/sick days' that they could then use to call into work for a day off.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited September 2014
    MsPhy wrote: »
    Most women don't take leave until the baby is born; that's when they need the time off. But as to the game, it would be nice if it were optional so folks who want to take leave either before or after the birth can do so. I miss how they built up vacation days in TS2.
    In my country they do. And they get payed as well.
    Maternity leave in S3 is silly, way too long. But I think they should get at least a day off.
    (what happens when the child is born when they're working btw?; my sim didn't have a job so I don't know)
    5JZ57S6.png
    If they are at work, they will come home early and be in labor.
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    Gruffman wrote: »
    For me, I like it the way it is. I like being able to have a female sim be able to advance far in her career. In Sims3, once my family started having children, it was almost like the female sim had to choose between being a mother and being successful, but that is just me.

I wouldn't mind it if a sim had 'personal/sick days' that they could then use to call into work for a day off.
    Well that's how it is in real life, the mother has to choose. OBviously if she's pregnant she's going to have to put more time into the kids, obviously the father should help but unless she can afford a sitter or has someone take care of the baby like her husband, family, friends etc, she'd have to choose.

Same for fathers so no sexism there, also it's a little worse for the woman since she actually has to carry the baby.
    MsPhy wrote: »
    In my country they do. And they get payed as well.
    Maternity leave in S3 is silly, way too long. But I think they should get at least a day off.
    (what happens when the child is born when they're working btw?; my sim didn't have a job so I don't know)

The teleport to daycare, and teleport back when your Sim comes home. Seriously.

• AstasiaAstasia Posts: 238 Member
    > @sarahzsmyl said:
    > Your Sim won't take a performance hit if this miss one or two days of work.

You lose job performance every minute you aren't at work when you should be. Unless you meant "your sim wont get fired or demoted." Which is likely true unless they were already in the red.

If you grab the writing skill you can apparently write an excuse to get out of work. I don't know the details of that, I've seen the interaction but I haven't tried it. There's also the slacker trait.
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    sarahzsmyl wrote: »
    I see this one a lot. Maternity leave isn't gone. At least not entirely. Your Sim won't take a performance hit if this miss one or two days of work. Simply cancel the action to go to work when it appears. Now, I will concede they don't get PAID for it any more. So, if you mean PAID maternity leave, then yes...I'd like to see it come back, too.

Plus, having my Sim go to work while she's in labor is a little far fetched. IRL, I worked until the day I delivered, but you can bet I called in sick when those contractions started!

It's dropped for me o.O
    besides I have a mod for 9 day pregnancies (I put it in to make it more realistic for the long life setting) I doubt I'd keep my job after that many days missed work without the one trait :pensive:
    yes paid is necessary.
    sarahzsmyl wrote: »

It's dropped for me o.O
    besides I have a mod for 9 day pregnancies (I put it in to make it more realistic for the long life setting) I doubt I'd keep my job after that many days missed work without the one trait :pensive:
    yes paid is necessary.

I really haven't noticed that. I probably just don't pay enough attention to what it was before they missed work. :( That would totally plum. (I actually wrote PLUM to save the system from censoring it)

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited September 2014

Well that's how it is in real life, the mother has to choose. OBviously if she's pregnant she's going to have to put more time into the kids, obviously the father should help but unless she can afford a sitter or has someone take care of the baby like her husband, family, friends etc, she'd have to choose.

Same for fathers so no sexism there, also it's a little worse for the woman since she actually has to carry the baby.
    Eh... Yeah lol. Carry and deliver.

(Thanks @Gruffman)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • psychotrip1psychotrip1 Posts: 237 Member

So what's wrong with having maternity leave be an OPTION for those who want it?
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/12696591/#Comment_12696591
    As I've posted elsewhere - any feedback both negative (how else is the team going to know what you don't like?!) and positive are welcome - just no fights/flames/trolls and you're good :) thanks.

Nothing. I just said I wouldn't mind if a sim had personal/sick days that they could use to call into work for a day off. Couldn't a personal day be used for maternity leave or does it just have to be called maternity leave?

• AstasiaAstasia Posts: 238 Member
    edited September 2014
    > @Gruffman said:
    > does it just have to be called maternity leave?

In the real world it does. Legally. I think.

I like working them until they pop though, and then send them right back in the same day if there's time. *cracks whip*
  • VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member
    edited September 2014

Lets be real, if they change it it won't be an option.

I say let equality have it's day and don't muck it up with chivalry.

• TrickTrick Posts: 1,538 Member
    Astasia wrote: »
    > @Gruffman said:<br />
    > does it just have to be called maternity leave?<br />
    <br />
    In the real world it does. Legally. I think.<br />

Nope. It's got a lot of names, depending on where you live and who you work for. Sometimes the father gets it, too, in which case it's not maternity leave, which by definition requires motherhood. In any case, real-world legalities shouldn't dictate how a simulation game gets programmed.

I think "personal time off" would work really well here.

banner-onlysims-800x140-1.png
    Because Geeks Really Do Have More Fun
  • Ladyliberty1301Ladyliberty1301 Posts: 623 Member
    I would really like the option to call in sick or call in for maternity leave. I know you can just cancel the action but sometimes it dosn't work. It would be nice if it was more formal. I ended up just having her quit her job.
    origin/gallery Id is Snaffles1301
    Twitter @Snaffles1301
  • jessathemessajessathemessa Posts: 2,342 Member
    I would like maternity leave as well. However, I would want it to be relatively short. Or maybe you could call and request a certain amount of days based on what level in your career you are. For me, 3 days would be plenty, starting when the sim goes into labor. More would be fine too, but in a "normal" life span, that is a lot of time to miss off of work if you are trying to get promotions.
  • VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member
    edited September 2014
    I'd like around 4000 other things added to the game before maternity leave.

jqtkph.jpg

I've got one on the way and come the 2nd trimester I just had her quit her job because its really not a big deal.
  • dannjcksndannjcksn Posts: 28 New Member
    Would love to have Maternity leave option back, or at least the ability to hire a nanny.
    dannjcksn wrote: »
    Would love to have Maternity leave option back, or at least the ability to hire a nanny.
    Better yet, both.

• CoriChanCoriChan Posts: 197 Member
    My preggor sim is a gardener so she technically doesn't have a real job...The only problem I found what that after the baby was born I couldn't really leave the house to go harvest plants in the neighborhood because I had no idea what would happen to the baby. It takes them long enough to tend to the baby crying when she wakes them up, imagine if they were all the way across the neighborhood >_<
    CoriChan wrote: »
    My preggor sim is a gardener so she technically doesn't have a real job...The only problem I found what that after the baby was born I couldn't really leave the house to go harvest plants in the neighborhood because I had no idea what would happen to the baby. It takes them long enough to tend to the baby crying when she wakes them up, imagine if they were all the way across the neighborhood >_<

If you Travel to the locations, the baby will get teleported to daycare. No need to worry about them while you're gone.