Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why do you play Sims?

Someone asked me the other day why I play Sims.
I actually had to think on that one and didn't really have an answer other than it's relaxing and a great past-time.
Well, it's a bit deeper than that, and here are those reasons:
It's Available: It's not because stereotypically girls like casual simulation games more than, for example, first-person shooter games. I love those games too but for one: I don't have an xbox nor a ps3 or ps4. (never had electronics growing up) The only times I play first person shooter is with my friends (particularly guy friends), sure if I had an xbox, I'd play it all the time. But I don't. I have a PC. And Sims is for PC. (I know it's for 360 too, don't start people)
It's like Barbies for grown-ups. It's a dollhouse! It peaks my interior decorating and artistic side, I can create anyone and anything!
It satisfies my shopping addiction: when I go search for custom content, I can't wait to go in-game and make my sims try on all kinds of clothes! So it's like awesome cute clothes without putting my credit in the red.
It's flipping fun.
It's relaxing.
I can make movies and edit pictures.
I can write stories: Ya'll know I'm a writer. And Sims is another way for me to tell a story.
And that is why I play sims!

Comments

• Options
    CatrillaCatrilla Posts: 1,708 Member
    Decorating and shopping are big ones for me; also the mini-goals within the game. My interests wax and wane, sometimes without notice. I'm currently being pulled back to WoW from Sims 3, then will probably go into books, then television and movies. I know that WoW is violent but that's a means to an end for my playstyle as I avoid PvP (I don't like to encourage that wolf in me). I've always enjoyed puzzles and life simulation games. One of these days I'll get SimCity.
  • Options
    AmoaraAmoara Posts: 106 Member
    I am absolutely with you on writing stories, and the shopping and the fun and the relaxing. Sometimes I prewrite a story for a sim and sometimes the sim writes their own as they go. It can be fairly immersive from a storytelling perspective.
    I love experimenting with building and decorating. I discovered I have zero knack for landscaping though lol!
    I am so absolutely grateful for the creativity of those who make CC. The fact that it's free? Faaaaabulous! I can't get over it.
    I don't know that I'm tech savvy or courageous enough to get into movie making just yet. I'm still fairly new here ;)
    I'm a girl and I've played tons of other games, MMO's, FPS's and strategy. I still play a select few. But I truly enjoy the relaxing atmosphere of the Sims, especially the pause button ;)
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    Because I can live the life I want but can't have.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    YellowJaneYellowJane Posts: 6,589 Member
    edited September 2014
    Because i like to create things :D

EDIT: basically, I do write etc, but with something like Sims, my imagination can really come alive, and I can see what I imagine in front of me, if it works :)
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Because I have a god complex.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    SummersBuffSummersBuff Posts: 74 Member
    I love creating virtual people and having them do whatever I tell them to!
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I love playing with the towns and controlling the entire town population in rotational play like in TS2 and I can do that with TS3 thanks to the Mods I loaded into my game.I did that to fix bug,glitches and major issues like EA's SP disaster which turns games into unplayable nightmares.I'm using a story progression that's more of a TS2 style from NRaas with my custom settings which turned it into TS2's story progression and allowed me to play the game how I wanted to play.I enjoy the town legacy challenge because it's meant for rotational play.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    It relaxes me and helps tremendously when I'm having a very bad day or night. Playing The Sims has actually helped me deal with some personal issues.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Options
    Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    Busy complex life so need a totally absorbing way to relax.

It offers so much, story telling, decorating, definitely shopping and top of the list, building. Mustn't forget cooking and gardening. :):)
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    WylseyWylsey Posts: 383 Member
    I play because...

Interior-Design, Ever since becoming a "simmer" I have been completely addicted to designing the way houses look inside and out. Trying to make a house fit with a family or any Sim for that matter, whether it be for their personality or lifestyle.

Just thinking about it... maybe because I enjoy reality TV (guilty pleasure!) and Sims can kind of be like that depending how you play it, or if you are having a nosey at your neighbours lol after all Sims do love to gossip. :lol:

then you have the added... getting attached to your characters once you've played with them for so long. <3

All in all, I love playing the Sims because it is a fun past time and I love the creative aspect of the game! :smile:
    Penguin Party is a group made to encourage the community to share their visions, hopes and dreams for The Sims series, We as a group hope to get your voices heard and spread as far and wide as possible.
  • Options
    CeliriaCeliria Posts: 3,488 Member
    Because it's fun and I like to write stories.
  • Options
    unluckykoneko16unluckykoneko16 Posts: 356 Member
    Wylsey wrote: »
    I play because... <br />
    <br />
    Interior-Design, Ever since becoming a "simmer" I have been completely addicted to designing the way houses look inside and out. Trying to make a house fit with a family or any Sim for that matter, whether it be for their personality or lifestyle.<br />

I love doing that. All my houses really go with families I make for them :3 They are unique in their own way.

• Options
    It relaxes me and helps tremendously when I'm having a very bad day or night. Playing The Sims has actually helped me deal with some personal issues.[/quote

Ditto.

And everyone else: I laughed and nodded at the responses!
  • Options
    Nh6650Nh6650 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I play because its fun and relaxes me a lot, especially when real life stresses get to me.
  • Options
    KoumoriDiruKoumoriDiru Posts: 6,681 Member
    Because I like it
    tumblr_nvbyvezH0b1uvyu9yo8_r1_400.gif
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    I agree with you, OP. I remember when I first picked up the original Sims box, and I looked over the back, reading the description. I said to myself "This is like Babrie!" And I was hooked ever since.

Yes, those little simmies can be frustrating at times, but the game is very relaxing. You can play at your own pace and there is no set "goal" for you to achieve. You just play how you want. I love the sandbox game. I enjoy GTA as well and other types of games. But the Sims hold a special place in my heart because of its uniqueness. There is no other game out there like the Sims. And I think this is why for now, Sims 4 isn't for me. It has lost that sandbox feel, and feels like it is more goal oriented. :'(

You can decorate, even explore styles that you personally don't like. I'm a Traditional type of woman, but I have sims who like Modern, Contemporary, Transitional, etc. And the same goes for clothing and hair styles to boot!

So the short answer to why I play the Sims is "It's fun!" But there is so much more behind that answer!
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    SerraTsunamiSerraTsunami Posts: 41 Member
    It brings me peace and a sense of control in an otherwise out of control world that is my life. ^_^
    H7vJLB.png
  • Options
    EuroGirL87EuroGirL87 Posts: 154 Member
    The Sims was the first pc game I got when I got my first pc back in 2000, and I got hooked on it. :D I love making families, building houses and living out their lives.
  • Options
    MelanieSimlishMelanieSimlish Posts: 4,432 Member
    edited September 2014
    Creativity in any form is the most satisfying outlet for me. I write all the time (though I'm no Harper Lee or Mark Twain) just for the sheer joy of writing; I read and listen to music all the time because I thrive from other people's creativity; I play the Sims all the time because there is so much creativity involved, from creating your own characters and building your own houses and making a little story with their lives. It's cheesy, yes, but I would be absolutely no where without creativity and imagination. I play Sims for the same reason for my doing anything: it's artistically expressive and fulfilling.

Plus, who doesn't love torturing little virtual people from time to time? >:)
    44444.gif
  • Options
    jonilla1jonilla1 Posts: 1,120 Member
    I play Sims games for relaxation and usually after playing some horror games (i'm a horror game freak), it helps me to calm down, because i'm such a wimp :D
    Sometimes i play it to get away from the real world when needed and have time to.
    Origin EA ID: Xaldin257 Friend requests are welcome.

Some of my creations in the gallery use CC so remember to enable them in the gallery's options to see them all.
  • Options
    InvaderchickycatInvaderchickycat Posts: 809 Member
    While I haven't played Sims in while since it kept crashing on me, hoping it works on my new laptop which is as old as the game but newer than my old one XD. The reason I played the Sims is my desire to get into animation, I can create the characters from my imagination or a toon show
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    It's a good way to play out stories and explore characters. And I am a big fan of the "unlimited dollhouse" aspect of the game too, especially with CASt in the mix.

Plus, I've met some great people in simming communities over the years, and if the game can't keep me here, they sure will. ;)
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    Fordee09Fordee09 Posts: 7,341 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Because I have a god complex.

I was just about to comment this, lol.
    tumblr_mnt6wnw49M1rx891yo2_500.gif
  • Options
    KramYraeloKramYraelo Posts: 734 Member
    It's an escape from reality for me. I work all day with real people, with real problems, wanting me to be somebody I can't always be. I've done well, but at the end of the day I want to go Johnny Paycheck and tell them "Take this job and shove it, I ain't working here no more...".

In The Sims, I can make myself whatever I want to. Been a cop, childhood dream of mine that never came true...been a surgeon, people I've done lots of work for and envied their well-to-do life styles. I've been lots of things in this game I could never be in reality, for one reason or the other. And that is what makes the gameplay rewarding for me.

Don't get me wrong, I've got a good life, great wife, kids, pool, sports car, dog, etc. Heck I've got it all by most standards. But The Sims lets me lead a life I couldn't possibly achieve and lead in reality. So yeah, to paraphrase Sgt. Barnes in Platoon:
    Ya'll smoke this stuff so as to escape from reality.
  • Options
    Interesting stories everybody! :D