Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

HOW TO CHANGE CAMERA TILT, EVEN ON A LAPTOP

electrical_pandaelectrical_panda Posts: 94 Member
edited September 2014 in PC - Technical Discussions
Ok, so I'm almost 30 hours into my game play, and by far the most frustrating part has been the weird camera angles to what appeared to be the only option. Well rest easy fellow Simmers, after scrolling through several different forums, and poking around aimlessly on my keyboard, I have found the answers! I will note that I'm using a windows based laptop with a US keyboard. I'm unaware of other operating systems or keyboards! Sorry! First, you need to change the camera settings to the Sims 3 camera controls. You can do so in the options menu. So, you won't think it did anything. However, if on a desktop, or using a traditional mouse, you can hold down the center scroll button and move the whole mouse up or down to control the tilt (If I'm wrong, please correct me, this is just what I've read) however, if you're using a windows laptop like I am, and that's the only answer Google will give you, you've still been really frustrated like me. But don't worry, there is still a way. You can simply control the camera angle by holding ctrl and either the up or down arrows. Viola!! I almost applauded when it worked!!! Other simple keyboard actions, to make your gaming easier, is that the + and - keys will zoom in or out your entire screen. Also, the < and > (no need to hold shift, they are really the , and . keys) keys will rotate the screen, however if you're in buy mode and have a piece of furniture selected, it will only rotate the object. Which makes placement pretty easy. The directional arrows will move the screen up, down, or side to side. I hope this finds you before you have given up on the Sims 4, besides my very long rants that I've posted, it's actually a pretty fun game, especially now that I've found smooth easy camera navigational tools. Have fun simmers! :D
Post edited by electrical_panda on

Comments

• Options
    DieterPrivateDieterPrivate Posts: 459 Member
    I think the middle mouse button tilt will only work in non-windowed mode. I could be wrong though.
  • Options
    Glimmer50Glimmer50 Posts: 2,365 Member
    There is a windowed mode? IF so I have over looked it. How do you I get to windowed mode?

Thank you for this information panda. I knew you could do it with the mouse but was wondering how to use the tilt with the keyboard. If I could get used to it, I could play this game in Sims 3 camera mode with no mouse. The mouse can be a little tricky to get used to but I think I do like the Sims 3 camera because you have more control.
  • Options
    stamperJanestamperJane Posts: 37 Member
    Thank you for the info. I was really struggling with the whole mouse use thing. Too awkward for me, and really puts a strain on my carpal hands. I like the using the keyboard better. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    Neither of these methods work for me. My preferred mouse doesn't have a scroll wheel, but I pulled one out with a scroll wheel just to try it. It zooms in and out when I scroll, press down the wheel and scroll, or use ctrl + scroll or shift + scroll.

The laptop method of ctrl + finger pad scroll doesn't work for me either.

I have not found a way to tilt the camera yet.

The controls in this game are not friendly and intuitive.
  • Options
    enkeli63enkeli63 Posts: 6,637 Member
    edited September 2014
    I have a European keyboard, so I don't know if that makes any difference. I press CTRL plus one of my arrow keys. I have an up and down arrow key that are separate from the number pad arrows. Hopefully you have those too? That works for me when I don't feel like using the mouse. The comma , and period . also turn the camera around left and right without tilting, if you just want to look from the other angle. If you want the best possible angle for screenshots, press TAB, then move the mouse around to change angle. On a laptop, move your finger on the touch pad to point the camera where ever you want. Raise it by pressing E and lower it with Q (unless I got those backwards, I'm still drinking morning coffee). Zooming in and out in this mode can be done with a mouse wheel, or with the + and - keys. The keys method provides you with much greater sensitivity than the mouse wheel anyways. You can also move the camera forward or back and side to side without messing up the camera angle by using the WSDA keys in the (TAB) "Cameraman Mode"

Further, once you have your perfect angle and location for the camera, you can set up this position for future uses by pressing CTRL and a number from 5 to 9. Later press the number you picked and your camera goes to that exact spot and angle. Press Shift and the number to instantly change camera position (more useful when filming for a video, but thought you might like to know anyways.)

If you find a perfect angle in cameraman mode and want to preserve it, press TAB and immediately set up a new camera setting by pressing CTRL and a number from 5 to 9. Your set camera will not be zoomed in tight like your cameraman mode looked like, but all you need to do in the future is press your camera number, then press TAB and then use the + key until your're zoomed in the perfect amount, but don't touch your mouse or touch pad because that'll change the camera tilt from the pre-set you arranged earlier.
    OriginID Starwing6
    my Sims 4 story blog: http://www.starwingsims.com/

Join SimsWriters.com to promote or enjoy fan-generated content (stories, videos, music, etc) celebrating The Sims.
  • Options
    Glimmer50Glimmer50 Posts: 2,365 Member
    greenXen wrote: »
    Neither of these methods work for me. My preferred mouse doesn't have a scroll wheel, but I pulled one out with a scroll wheel just to try it. It zooms in and out when I scroll, press down the wheel and scroll, or use ctrl + scroll or shift + scroll.

You hold down the wheel and physically move your mouse up and down. Have you tried that?

• Options
    Glimmer50 wrote: »

You hold down the wheel and physically move your mouse up and down. Have you tried that?

I use trackball mice because of my wrist. I have tried holding down the scroll key and moving the trackball, but it doesn't work either.

enkeli63 wrote:
    I have a European keyboard, so I don't know if that makes any difference. I press CTRL plus one of my arrow keys. I have an up and down arrow key that are separate from the number pad arrows. Hopefully you have those too? That works for me when I don't feel like using the mouse.
    This method did not work for me either.

At least I can still use tab to change the camera angle in cameraman mode.

• Options
    MandysAMessMandysAMess Posts: 2,694 Member
    Yay, it worked for me! Thank you so much! I can finally take descent pics <3
    My Simblr: WaffleKone
  • Options

To use laptop keyboard controls, it's ctrl, + the up or down arrows, not the scroll pad. Hope that helps. And make sure you have Sims 3 camera mode turned on in options!
  • Options
    ThickEbonyLadyThickEbonyLady Posts: 32 Member
    Nice! Thanks for that info Panda! I needed that!
  • Options
    maccarulezmaccarulez Posts: 253 Member
    Thank you, bin trying to tilt my camera but the only thing I didn't try was that method. :)
  • Options
    litabelaqualitabelaqua Posts: 4,322 Member

You can simply control the camera angle by holding ctrl and either the up or down arrows. :D

Thank you for this! no tilt was driving me nuts, it hard when you build anything and you cannot tilt to see the walls inside. Works perfectly for me!
  • Options

To use laptop keyboard controls, it's ctrl, + the up or down arrows, not the scroll pad. Hope that helps. And make sure you have Sims 3 camera mode turned on in options!

No, that doesn't work either for me.
  • Options
    Kaela_87Kaela_87 Posts: 520 Member
    edited September 2014
    I have been holding ctrl + holding down right-click on my mouse and moving the mouse accordingly...it works for moving the camera up and down and rotating. I had to find a different way as using the scroll button on my mouse was frustrating! I think you can press the shift key as well to move the camera faster (?).

I am sure that is right, I am not at home at the mo but will double-check later on when I go in game.

Update: Yes, it is hold ctrl + hold down the right button on your mouse and move up/down/side to side :-)
    Post edited by Kaela_87 on
    My TS3 Wishlist: http://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=Kaela_87
    My TS3 Store Top 5: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/14276743/#Comment_14276743
    TS3 ID: Kaela_87
    Origin ID: Purple_Aleakim
    Feel free to add me!
  • Options
    SincerboxSincerbox Posts: 2,279 Member
    The ergonomics of the game's UI can be challenging. I think the primary platform for this game has always been the desktop Windows PC. Now I am being made aware that the standard keyboard in the US is not universal and also throws in a factor. For myself, I am one of those old dogs that has not adapted well to laptops. I can use them but I need a USB wireless mouse. That is one option people can consider. I have known about the ctrl+arrow key for awhile. It is still more convenient to use the middle mouse wheel (for me). I am sorry these solutions aren't working for everyone.
    Origin ID: Barbara917
  • Options
    TerrylinTerrylin Posts: 4,846 Member
    Hello!

I just hit the tab key, adjust the angle with my mouse then hit the tab key again to set it. BUT that doesn't work in build/buy! Build/buy camera stinks!! ;)

I also have mine set to Sims 3 camera. That did help me.
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    I do exactly what Terrylin does. :)
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your feedback! I'm using a windows laptop, and I forgot to account for other keyboards, and other software systems! I'll update my original post! I'm sorry this isn't working for everyone. I would just play around with your keyboard controls. But save your game before you do because many keys have functions that I was unaware of. Such as fast forward, and windows being opened, etc. It blows my mind how hard it was to find all of this information, that's why I decided to post it. Hopefully others can find the information much easier than I did, and not have as much frustration in the process! Happy Simming! :D
  • Options
    Jlm0072012Jlm0072012 Posts: 159 Member
    enkeli63 wrote: »
    I have a European keyboard, so I don't know if that makes any difference. I press CTRL plus one of my arrow keys. I have an up and down arrow key that are separate from the number pad arrows. Hopefully you have those too? That works for me when I don't feel like using the mouse. The comma , and period . also turn the camera around left and right without tilting, if you just want to look from the other angle. If you want the best possible angle for screenshots, press TAB, then move the mouse around to change angle. On a laptop, move your finger on the touch pad to point the camera where ever you want. Raise it by pressing E and lower it with Q (unless I got those backwards, I'm still drinking morning coffee). Zooming in and out in this mode can be done with a mouse wheel, or with the + and - keys. The keys method provides you with much greater sensitivity than the mouse wheel anyways. You can also move the camera forward or back and side to side without messing up the camera angle by using the WSDA keys in the (TAB) "Cameraman Mode"

Further, once you have your perfect angle and location for the camera, you can set up this position for future uses by pressing CTRL and a number from 5 to 9. Later press the number you picked and your camera goes to that exact spot and angle. Press Shift and the number to instantly change camera position (more useful when filming for a video, but thought you might like to know anyways.)

If you find a perfect angle in cameraman mode and want to preserve it, press TAB and immediately set up a new camera setting by pressing CTRL and a number from 5 to 9. Your set camera will not be zoomed in tight like your cameraman mode looked like, but all you need to do in the future is press your camera number, then press TAB and then use the + key until your're zoomed in the perfect amount, but don't touch your mouse or touch pad because that'll change the camera tilt from the pre-set you arranged earlier.

Thank you for this:)

• Options
    22calprincess22calprincess Posts: 103 Member
    Thank you for the laptop controls! I have been really frustrated but I'm going to try this as soon as I get home!
  • Options
    COOLGAME8013COOLGAME8013 Posts: 3,090 Member
    edited September 2014
    Jlm0072012 wrote: »
    Thank you for this:)
    Thank you for the laptop controls! I have been really frustrated but I'm going to try this as soon as I get home!

Here we go, again! :|

25297d1309921005-intruder-recall-zombie-thread.jpg
  • Options
    CaseyBlueCaseyBlue Posts: 26 Member
    I must admit that I really was not thrilled with Sims 4 when I first installed and was playing it. but it certainly has grown on me. I still really enjoy Sims 3 as much, but there is a great deal to enjoy and love in playing Sims 4. The camera angles are a pain, though, especially if life myself, you do videos ... even with Sims 3 controls and using Tab. Is there a way to click Tab after you've used it kin Sims 3 free camera mode and keep the camera there as a starting place for game play? Atleast you can get a decent angle that way if only you can sort of "lock" it in.
  • Options
    EnzoA7XEnzoA7X Posts: 92 Member
    Was just wondering about this myself. Thank you :)
    EnzoA7X on here, RakeArmageddon in the Gallery :)
  • Options
    pguidapguida Posts: 7,481 Member
    Ok, so I'm almost 30 hours into my game play, and by far the most frustrating part has been the weird camera angles to what appeared to be the only option. Well rest easy fellow Simmers, after scrolling through several different forums, and poking around aimlessly on my keyboard, I have found the answers! I will note that I'm using a windows based laptop with a US keyboard. I'm unaware of other operating systems or keyboards! Sorry! First, you need to change the camera settings to the Sims 3 camera controls. You can do so in the options menu. So, you won't think it did anything. However, if on a desktop, or using a traditional mouse, you can hold down the center scroll button and move the whole mouse up or down to control the tilt (If I'm wrong, please correct me, this is just what I've read) however, if you're using a windows laptop like I am, and that's the only answer Google will give you, you've still been really frustrated like me. But don't worry, there is still a way. You can simply control the camera angle by holding ctrl and either the up or down arrows. Viola!! I almost applauded when it worked!!! Other simple keyboard actions, to make your gaming easier, is that the + and - keys will zoom in or out your entire screen. Also, the < and > (no need to hold shift, they are really the , and . keys) keys will rotate the screen, however if you're in buy mode and have a piece of furniture selected, it will only rotate the object. Which makes placement pretty easy. The directional arrows will move the screen up, down, or side to side. I hope this finds you before you have given up on the Sims 4, besides my very long rants that I've posted, it's actually a pretty fun game, especially now that I've found smooth easy camera navigational tools. Have fun simmers! :D

Thank you!
  • Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    Thanks for all of your suggestions, I am going to try everything next time I play. But we shouldn't have to go through all this just to get decent camera angles, for building, taking photos or doing video's. I got really spoiled with the camera angles and ease of use in building in Sims 3 after Sims 2's restrictive views and it seems EA went backwards rather than forward.