Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

3D Pruetts: Jan 12 - Stories by Jes2G

Comments

• Jes2GJes2G Posts: 13,032 Member
    Good afternoon!

It's the big day! Aubrey's restaurant is opening! Enjoy.

http://www.jes2gstories.com/3d-the-big-day/
    forum_final.png

Read Delicious Dishes & Dreams and more Stories By Jes2G!
    Origin ID: Jes2G | Forum Thread | Twitter | Tumblr
    In behind the scenes DJ news, MCCC has married Jesse off to the crazy cat lady LOL. That will NOT be making the cut. :D
    forum_final.png

Whoopsie! Forgot to leave this here. I realized we never heard from Uncle Antoine directly. That has now changed! Enjoy. :D

http://www.jes2gstories.com/balderdash-cogitation/
    forum_final.png

• InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    Jes2G wrote: »
    In behind the scenes DJ news, MCCC has married Jesse off to the crazy cat lady LOL. That will NOT be making the cut. :D

FOR SHAME...Hillary can't compare when she has no cats anyways. :p
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
    InfraGreen wrote: »

FOR SHAME...Hillary can't compare when she has no cats anyways. :p

LOL
    forum_final.png

Good mornin, peeps!

Juliana decides to be a bit bolder in her love for Kevin, and he doesn't quite know how to handle it. Enjoy!

http://www.jes2gstories.com/juliana-chapter-130-because-i-love-you/
    forum_final.png

• ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    All caught up with DJ! That was a whirlwind. I'll binge read the others tomorrow, exhausted from all the emotions!
    Bugsie2016 wrote: »
    All caught up with DJ! That was a whirlwind. I'll binge read the others tomorrow, exhausted from all the emotions!

Yes, I think you deserve a break today lol. Lots of feels happening in this story right now. I really appreciate you spending time with these guys today. :smiley:
    forum_final.png

Yes, I think you deserve a break today lol. Lots of feels happening in this story right now. I really appreciate you spending time with these guys today. :smiley:

It was fun. :)
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    Good mornin, peeps!

Juliana decides to be a bit bolder in her love for Kevin, and he doesn't quite know how to handle it. Enjoy!

http://www.jes2gstories.com/juliana-chapter-130-because-i-love-you/

OK, OK, OK! This chapter! I love it! I love it so much.

Firstly, a question for the author: I know you think so much about this story, the characters, and what happens in each chapter. Can you share with us insights into your writing process for this chapter, including planning, rewriting, analysis, and how this fits into your larger, overall plan?

And... Oh. You know that experience you get sometimes in a novel where you feel or think: OK. This is a significant moment. And it's like all the work to this point crystallizes in that specific chapter? I had that feeling in this chapter at about this point:
    Sometimes, her old ways conflicted with the new information. But after a bit of time, she always managed to mesh them together in a way that allowed her to stay true to herself while adapting to her new environment.

It was my signal to feel deeply, pay attention, listen, observe, because it's all coming together.

Really, that's what this chapter was for me. It was the time when so many of Juliana's internal conflicts began turning towards resolution.

One thing I really admire about this chapter (and what makes it feel like a Big Chapter to me) is that it deals with several significant issue. If I were writing this, I'd probably have chosen to deal with each issue in its own chapter, because I tend to write single-focus chapters. But yet it works so very well to have these multiple issues resolved in the same chapter--it's the right choice, I feel. And the reason, I think, is because the overarching theme of "resolution of long-standing internal conflicts" ties together the various issues.

The specific issues this chapter begins to resolve are so fascinating to me, and they're really ones that aren't always dealt with in fiction, but that are so interesting, and so valuable, and they're very intriguing to me.

1) The issue of giving and receiving, especially in regards to "Love Languages."
    2) The issue of premarital sex
    3) The issue of privilege

It felt like such a growth moment for Juliana to both find a way she can give (to express her love as a form of nurturing) and to receive (to allow Kevin to express his love). She became so mature and so generous in this chapter. I could really feel Kevin's joy at being allowed to give and express his love through his generosity!

I really love the way Juliana is responding to sex and the cultural conflicts around premarital sex. She seemed so empowered to me in this chapter. I loved that she was allowed to make a choice. I also love that she feels she was the one to led things with Kevin in the night at the hotel to become as hot as they did! Of course, he took responsibility--but I'm really happy that she saw the role she played. It makes her so strong, so independent, and so autonomous. I think one thing I absolutely love about Juliana is the way she negotiates independence and autonomy with love, responsibility, and duty. She's not going to let anything defeat her, and she's also going to live in accordance with her moral code. And I love that we get to see her struggles as the balances all these internal drives and finds ways to reconcile them.

I was so happy to see the issue of Kevin's privilege resolved somewhat in this chapter! I felt angry at Kevin a few times in regards to his obliviousness of his own privilege (like the chapter when he took Juliana to get her papers). And I often wondered how Juliana would negotiate the difference in their levels of privilege and how she'd handle moving into his world. This chapter resolved that! I've been writing about privilege in a few of my stories lately, and my characters haven't resolved the issue. I really enjoyed seeing Juliana's quiet, thoughtful, and conscious response to this. She is gracious!

Also, can we talk about how great Kevin was in this chapter? So much love, and such a great way to show it!

One thing I adored about this chapter is that it shows that conflict can come in all sorts of ways. A person can be healthy, happy, with a life on-course, and still feel plenty of conflict! And resolutions, while major and significant, can happen in quiet moments, like with the making of meal or the acceptance of a gift.

Of course, there are still plenty more things to be resolved to fire the story's engine for... well, as long as Jes wants it to keep on going! But this chapter just did such a great job of moving from one state and stage into another.

I also love how this chapter shows that popular and effective stories don't have to be about broken or ill characters--and that not every plot needs to lead to sex! In counter to a lot of current trends we see in popular SimLit, this story points out some new and exciting directions!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Maladi777Maladi777 Posts: 4,393 Member
    edited June 2018
    @CathyTea Many of the points you mentioned were going through my head too as I was reading. I wish I could put them into words so aptly as you did.

I wonder if Jess ever planned it, but Juliana and Hillary work as an amazing contrast in this story. One would expect a girl like Juliana to make all the mistakes Hillary did after being exposed to all the temptations in the world so new to her and yet she remained humble and modest, which is a great compliment to her mother and the way she raised her. Juliana has been struggling with the old ways of the world she came from and the new, but in this chapter we can see that she's getting better and better in finding that balance between those two. She's now a unique mix of both worlds.
    CathyTea wrote: »
    I also love how this chapter shows that popular and effective stories don't have to be about broken or ill characters--and that not every plot needs to lead to sex! In counter to a lot of current trends we see in popular SimLit, this story points out some new and exciting directions!
    I second this, despite being one of those authors who enjoy writing about broken characters. :smirk:
    heffners_orig.jpg
    HEFFNER LEGACYSimblrHeffner Legacy Discussion │ Origin ID: Maladi
    Oh this is delicious! lol

@CathyTea I've seen it, and am now digesting it and thinking of my responses. I'll be a moment. :D

@Maladi777 Of course I planned it lol. It's actually something I enjoy doing: having two people in the same space get exposed to the same things and have them react completely differently. The differences lead them down completely different paths. It depends on the characters if I decide to have the characters be jealous/judgmental/prideful/etc about the choice they made or the other's choice. I'm glad you noticed that!

I enjoy stories about broken people as much as anyone! I like to try and see if I can make a beautiful mess out of characters' brokeness lol. But, like CT said, not every story has to do that (even though I did with Hillary lol). I like to be different...so here we are!
    forum_final.png

• cshanercshaner Posts: 2,620 Member
    Hi @CathyTea @Jes2G pointed me here to read your thoughtful essay on this particular chapter of DJ. So I broke silence to come and respond to you (cause I still adore you!!! and love Jes and her DJ story).

I have to agree with @Maladi777 I could never say the things as succinctly and with such clarity as you do, but I too thought this was an excellent glimpse into just how far Juliana has come maturity wise and was chatting with Jes this morning about this exact topic. And while many of Jes's fans (including me) want the "quick" pay off and satisfaction with two people finally having a steamy sex scene, it is far better to have the characters act believably and in character even though Juliana's body was saying "Yes!" her mind and her inability to even verbalize sex with Kevin shows she's not ready for the act yet. While US standards don't seem to think 19-21 (cannot remember exactly how old she is now) isn't really too young for sex, it says a lot about Juliana's maturity that she knows it's not quite the right time yet.

Another thing I mentioned was the wrapper or the scene for each of the last three chapters. I talked about the comfortable fishing trip between Harold and Kevin being the perfect vehicle for two widows to reconnect and share friendship without much pressure.

The fancy 5 start restaurant that Hillary and Jase went to being the perfect backdrop to elevate their relationship to a new maturity and also the new direction their long standing friendship has blossomed into.

Finally - the talk between Kevin and Juliana being perfectly nestled in his home after a good home cooked meal and while watching TV. It's the perfect place to surround this serious discussion about their future and their plans together. Kevin offering paying for her apartment and her accepting as you said was such a turning point to LET him show his love to her. She's maturing and growing and it's really shaping the story as well. She's not the scared little new comer anymore. I also loved that she still needs time to be her own woman and live on her own for a while and didn't immediately jump into the role of homemaker with Kevin as it would be just going from mother > Humphries > Husband's home. I admire her need to be independent and live alone for a while.

I love Jes' story ... this is a particular favorite of mine and she does an amazing job telling it.
    covensig800x200.jpg?w=676
    SimFluence - Where Sims Influence the Story
    Blood that Binds: A Vampire Coven Challenge Updated 04/22/2017
    Life Under Construction: A Drifter Challenge House 001 Completed 1/29/17 | Orphan Challenge: Harkins Family Completed 11/12/16
    Origin ID: cshaner07
    @cshaner Thanks for taking a moment to share your thoughts! <3 I love your insights. You know this. :smiley:

OK! @CathyTea @Maladi777 and everyone else who cares...here we go!
    Firstly, a question for the author: I know you think so much about this story, the characters, and what happens in each chapter. Can you share with us insights into your writing process for this chapter, including planning, rewriting, analysis, and how this fits into your larger, overall plan?

Oh boy! I have to share all the secrets now LOL. First of all, this chapter (or at least the issues in it) have been in my head for a VERY long time! Definitely all of 2018 and probably many months before that! This chapter didn't always exist. In the beginnings, I simply wanted a chapter where Juliana hangs out at Kevin's house because we had never seen her there before. But then the rock climbing chapter happened, and that box was checked. I didn't throw the chapter out because I knew if I waited long enough I'd find a better purpose for it. That's part 1, I guess lol.

Part 2, the part that has been in my mind for probably almost a year, was about Juliana and sex. When I think about Juliana and what she wants to accomplish, the needs in her life, etc., I don't see sex very high on the list. Of course, it's on the list, and she's very much looking forward to it, but it's just not in the top 3...or maybe even 5. Because of that, in various planning sessions, Keviana sex was never a thought. I didn't think it was necessary. I couldn't even picture them doing it. It was a very hard no from me. But, of course, that was back in the days when they were still playing games, pretending not to have feelings for each other lol. So then they got together, and things changed. You, my lovely readers, began pushing them toward the bedroom. At first, I'm like, "What?? Pffft, NO! Juliana's not having sex until she's 30!!" :D (hey, Juliana's dad is dead! someone has to say it! LOL) As time went on and their relationship grew, Juliana grew too. Like Kevin, I saw her less and less as a little girl too. I went from a hard no to an "I'd rather not, but it could happen." I'm still there, FYI. Anyway, but you guys really love Keviana and want them to have a very FULL life, and I get that. I'm usually not one to let my readers rattle my cage, but the point was a valid one. Romance tends to follow a formula, and everyone has expectations based on that formula. That's cool, but I'm not one to be very formulaic. Everything that happens has to have a purpose--a good one lol. And, all those purposes need to either move the story forward or show us something new about the character. I entertained the idea of them having sex during the trip! I mean, it would have been perfect. They would be completely alone, Juliana would be completely high on life from seeing her family again probably making her a very willing participant, they would be in the same space...the scene could write itself lol. I even considered a scene between Hillary and Juliana months later. They'd be hanging out with the baby (like they will in a few chapters lol), and Hillary goes prying into Juliana's life again. Her avoidance to answer a particular question tips off Hillary that they had sex. After she peppered her with questions, she'd give her a lecture about birth control because I don't think Juliana would automatically think that would be something she needed. After that chapter ends, then what? Apart from the gratifying knowledge that she's no longer a virgin like Cat said, what did we gain? Not a thing. Some things are in the story simply because I want them to be and they have nothing to do with nothing lol. (like chapter 132 lol) But, losing one's virginity is a huge deal even though some people don't think so. Juliana thinks so, and that's all that matters to me lol. I can't allow myself to flippantly play with her life for our amusement.

WOW, that took forever lol. So, part 3...what do I do?? I'm not afraid to disappoint my readers; I will withhold things from you in a heartbeat! LOL BUT, I don't want to let you down; I think there's a difference. So, all year, I struggled with this. I lamented about it with everyone in copy here lol. A few months ago, I silenced the cries of the readers and thought about the situation differently. Juliana was growing up, and I saw her differently. The Good Ship Keviana was strong and sailed on smooth waters. Despite what I want (or don't want), it's unrealistic for sex to never come up. True, this story doesn't capture every day of their lives, and I couldn't easily say they talked about it off camera, but that might be a little lame lol. We all know Kevin didn't arrive in Juliana's life as an angel in a spotless robe lol. Even though he's patient with her and sensitive to her needs, we know he has his own needs. He has his own formula for how things should go, heh. So yeah, from that perspective, I found it hard to believe that they would never talk about it, never have any frustrations, or even any almost moments. The almost moment really got me! It addressed all my concerns! If I made it steamy enough, it would be gratifying (to a certain degree) to people who need visuals (I'm not a NSFW type, sorry folks). But most importantly, the fact that it almost happened but didn't would say so much about both of them! And THAT, my friends, is how the current version of this chapter was born LOL.

It's been like 38 hours, and I only covered the first part of the question! LOL, I'm gonna grab something to eat and return to this in a bit.
    forum_final.png

cshaner wrote: »
    And while many of Jes's fans (including me) want the "quick" pay off and satisfaction with two people finally having a steamy sex scene, it is far better to have the characters act believably and in character even though Juliana's body was saying "Yes!" her mind and her inability to even verbalize sex with Kevin shows she's not ready for the act yet. While US standards don't seem to think 19-21 (cannot remember exactly how old she is now) isn't really too young for sex, it says a lot about Juliana's maturity that she knows it's not quite the right time yet.

Happy to see you back even if for a moment to make this post.

Actually, I've been silently praying there are no steamy scenes between Kevin and Juliana. I also had a discussion with Jess about them and readers expectations. I feel that steamy scenes would ruin it for me. I believe it wouldn't fit the tone of Juliana's arc.
    heffners_orig.jpg
    Maladi777 wrote: »
    And while many of Jes's fans (including me) want the "quick" pay off and satisfaction with two people finally having a steamy sex scene, it is far better to have the characters act believably and in character even though Juliana's body was saying "Yes!" her mind and her inability to even verbalize sex with Kevin shows she's not ready for the act yet. While US standards don't seem to think 19-21 (cannot remember exactly how old she is now) isn't really too young for sex, it says a lot about Juliana's maturity that she knows it's not quite the right time yet.

Actually, I've been silently praying there are no steamy scenes between Kevin and Juliana. I also had a discussion with Jess about them and readers expectations. I feel that steamy scenes would ruin it for me. I believe it wouldn't fit the tone of Juliana's arc.

This! There are times and places for those scenes and I agree that it doesn't fit the tone of the story currently. I feel this way it's more realistic to Julianna's and Kevin's character.

This! There are times and places for those scenes and I agree that it doesn't fit the tone of the story currently. I feel this way it's more realistic to Julianna's and Kevin's character.

I'm glad you think so!

(I'm eating my dinner, I swear lol)
    forum_final.png

Right? I don't even want to pry into most intimate moments of these two. Their love has been so pure in my eyes. It's not that I don't believe they have sex. It's more that I don't need to be shown! Sometimes I just want to read a story about love and deep connection between two people. Sex scenes are shortcuts for some writers. It takes more work to show all those other small and big things that speak of love between two people.
    heffners_orig.jpg

Right? I don't even want to pry into most intimate moments of these two. Their love has been so pure in my eyes. It's not that I don't believe they have sex. It's more that I don't need to be shown! Sometimes I just want to read a story about love and deep connection between two people. Sex scenes are shortcuts for some writers. It takes more work to show all those other small and big things that speak of love between two people.

YES! I love a good shortcut in my personal life, but I can't take them in my writing. It's against the rules lol. And yes! I don't want to sit here and watch Keviana have sex. They should have that moment in private and enjoy it.
    forum_final.png

Same. I love the way, Jes shows those sometimes tiny and big things between two characters in a relationship. And I'm not just talking about Kevianna. :)

Same. I love the way, Jes shows those sometimes tiny and big things between two characters in a relationship. And I'm not just talking about Kevianna. :)

Why thank you!
    forum_final.png

Ok! I am nourished! Time to tackle part 2...and all the other parts lol.
    forum_final.png

Part 2 of what?

Part 2 of what?

CT's question for me.
    forum_final.png

Part 2 of what?

CT's question for me.

Oh, that... :)