March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Revert .package files help!!!!

Messed up all my previous file, Help!
Hey guys I really messed up here and would greatly appreciate some positive guidance on what I should do.

I am currently running Windows 8 for starters.

Well while I was trying to get my mods to work and you know, kind of exploring (which I won't be doing anymore) I accidentally changed a file (a .package file) by clicking open with...word doc.

Problem is, now all my .packagefiles are word docs, and I don't know how to revert the files back to their previous condition. Whenever I try to load the game, it crashes at the loading screen. (I don't have the screenplay in the beginning because I added a mod to get rid of it)
Please Help!

Comments

• MarLin114MarLin114 Posts: 1,724 Member
    edited September 2014
    Just to let you know, I'm not tech-savvy but I do use mods in my game.

To get a little more information:
    What folder did you accidently convert .package files to word docs?

If it was only your mods folder, with your game and the launcher closed, drag your mods folder to your desktop. Or you can create a new folder on your desktop and drag the affected files into the new folder (only if it was mods and/or cc).

Delete your scriptCache.package file.

Try to load your game again after deleting the above cache file.

**This is only if the affected files were mods or custom content**

I don't know if it's possible to revert files from word docs to package files. If the affected files were only mods or CC, you should probably download those .package files again.
    a.k.a. - Linda
  • sirguylittlesirguylittle Posts: 776 Member
    edited September 2014
    Once you have set a file type to be opened by a particular application, it will affect all files of that type anywhere on your system.
    However the only harm that would be done, once you have opened a .package file using Word, would be to save the file. This would try to save the file as a Word doc and corrupt the file. As @MarLin114 suggests, you need to remove any files you may have accidentally changed as the game would most likely crash when trying to read such a file and the corrupt version may be stored in the cache.

Now for how to remove the link to Word. I can give you the instructions for Windows XP, I hope it will be similar for Windows 8, but take care as you could do more harm if you are not careful.

First, open Windows Explorer, any folder will do.

Next, select Tools from the menu bar and then Folder Options

A window similar to this will appear
    package.png

Select the third tab File Types and find package in the list (pressing P will take you to the first item starting with P)
    In my example I have 'accidentally' set package files to be opened by Notepad.

Now click Delete to delete the entry, you will get a warning about removing registered file extensions, go ahead and click Yes as you do not want .package files to be registered.

Finally, close the Folder Options window.
  • Danny1000000000Danny1000000000 Posts: 2 New Member
    I have the same problem and i can't fix it! how do i get rid of the like to word on windows 7?
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    It wouldn't make any difference to the game. The link to auto-open in a particular program is just for the sake of convenience. It just makes the files' icons look ridiculous when the link to auto-open is set wrong.

Anyway, all you have do to "fix" this on most versions of Windows is right-click on any one .package file and select Open With > Choose Default Program. Then select something else like Notepad and make sure the box "Always Use Selected Program to Open this Kind of File" is ticked.

Or you could do it the way sirguylittle demonstrates above.

But unless you have a package editing program like S3PE installed, it doesn't matter what the default program to open is because you would never be opening package files anyway. If you do have S3PE, that would be a good program to select, though.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • RowanSageRowanSage Posts: 1 New Member
    igazor wrote: »
    It wouldn't make any difference to the game. The link to auto-open in a particular program is just for the sake of convenience. It just makes the files' icons look ridiculous when the link to auto-open is set wrong.

Anyway, all you have do to "fix" this on most versions of Windows is right-click on any one .package file and select Open With > Choose Default Program. Then select something else like Notepad and make sure the box "Always Use Selected Program to Open this Kind of File" is ticked.

But unless you have a package editing program like S3PE installed, it doesn't matter what the default program to open is because you would never be opening package files anyway. If you do have S3PE, that would be a good program to select, though.

Actually, that doesn't work. I accidentally set all my package files to notepad a while ago, and I'm no longer able to use mods or any cc in a .package file format.

I've been looking around the internet and I have found a way to remove file assocation, but I can't remember the file extension for .package files.

Here's what I found. I haven't attempted it yet, but people have said it works.

1. Do WinKey+X and click Command Prompt (Admin)
    2. Click 'Continue' or enter the admin password if you aren't signed in
    3. In Command Prompt, enter 'assoc .*whatever file you want to delete assocation with (e.g. .ext .bin, things like that)*
    RowanSage wrote: »
    igazor wrote: »

Actually, that doesn't work. I accidentally set all my package files to notepad a while ago, and I'm no longer able to use mods or any cc in a .package file format.

I've been looking around the internet and I have found a way to remove file assocation, but I can't remember the file extension for .package files.

Here's what I found. I haven't attempted it yet, but people have said it works.

1. Do WinKey+X and click Command Prompt (Admin)
    2. Click 'Continue' or enter the admin password if you aren't signed in
    3. In Command Prompt, enter 'assoc .*whatever file you want to delete assocation with (e.g. .ext .bin, things like that)*

I'm sorry to be stubborn about this, but something else must be wrong. File associations on their own have no bearing on how the game reads package files.

There is no standard association for that type of file because different programs use the ".package" type of file in different ways. If you must take action to change this, install a package editing program like S3PE or NRaas Packer that is actually capable of opening package files and make the association to that program.
    http://simlogical.com/s3pe.htm
    http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Packer
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • AntiSocialSim72AntiSocialSim72 Posts: 186 Member
    @igazor is correct. As as example, I set S3packs to 7zip a while ago so they wouldn't automatically install through the launcher whenever I accidentally clicked on one. Now, I just get an error message because, obviously, 7zip can't open them but I can and do still put them in my downloads folder and use the launcher to install them that way (open launcher, see items I put in downloads, install). Like @sirguylittle said, the only harm in your .package files being opened by notepad or whatever would be if you were to open them and then save them that way, that will corrupt the.package.

Also, ".package" is the file extension.
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    All my package files are associated with SimPE and bear the SimPE icon and my game runs perfectly fine. It makes absolutely no difference to your files unless, as stated, you were to actually save them as a word doc rather than a package.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Heliel22Heliel22 Posts: 37 Member
    I have a similar problem that i would like to resolve like how would i undo my Sims 3 package files from what S3pe has done to them their all like s3pe icons so because i play Sims 4 and that i don't what my s4 package files affected. Um also i know this is mad old but this is what i found while doing my search to resolve my problem i really would appreciate the help.
  • ShojoDaggerShojoDagger Posts: 320 Member
    If all you did was change the program association, there shouldn't be a problem.

If you change the file extension -- .package to .doc for example -- you should be able to change it back to .package & be okay.
    I uploaded something! (yay) My Studio
    Enjoy!
    @ShojoDagger How do i do that like how do i change the package file extension?
    edited August 2017
    There continues to be some misunderstanding of how file associations and extensions work here.

When a file appears to be a "type" by way of an icon that means Windows (or the Mac OS) has assigned an auto-launch application to ALL files that have that extension. It does not change the files. No one has "done" anything to them. If the file association looks wrong to us or is just plain silly, it still doesn't matter. The game and other programs read the files just the same as long as they have the correct underlying extension and are really the correct "type" internally.

If you have S3PE, or anything, set for .package files, then that is how ALL .package files will look to the user. The games can still tell the difference. If you want to change the auto-associated program for these files to something else, then you need to a program installed that would, to you, be a better choice. But again, the games don't care, it's all about how the files look to us in Windows Explorer (or the Mac OS Finder) and which application, if any, should launch if one were double-clicked upon.

Changing the actual extension a particular individual file has is not difficult, but why would anyone do that? That will change the nature of the files themselves and the games or intended program that is supposed to use them won't be able to read them if a file that was once really .package is now really .docx, .pdf, or something else. In other words, changing the actual underlying extensions of files often breaks them and makes the files useless. Both Windows and the Mac OS display a warning to this effect if you do try to change a particular file's underlying extension.

To give another example, suppose you have a file whose underlying extension is .xlsx which means the auto-association would typically be Excel (or some other spreadsheet program if installed). Presumably, the file is a spreadsheet internally. If you change the underlying extension to something else, let's say .jpg or .pdf, you can't correctly say look, now it's an image or a PDF file because it's not. The file would become garbage.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    @igazor So nomatter what the game still will automatically recognize the files even tho the files are S3pe icons? So lets say i reinstall my GTA 5 and i want to edit some files in OpenIV but the files are s3pe icons would i still be able to even tho the files look like s3pe icons? and thanx for responding
    edited August 2017
    Heliel22 wrote: »
    @igazor So nomatter what the game still will automatically recognize the files even tho the files are S3pe icons? So lets say i reinstall my GTA 5 and i want to edit some files in OpenIV but the files are s3pe icons would i still be able to even tho the files look like s3pe icons? and thanx for responding
    Sure. But if you double-click on those .package files, then your computer will attempt to open them in S3PE (if you still have it installed). If you right-click, then you should be able to specify the program you really want them opened in using Open With.

The challenge here is that multiple programs use .package file format files for totally different things. Windows can't differentiate between them, to the operating system it's all one file type hence all one file association.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    @igazor Ok i had already uninstalled S3pe from my computer and all it's folders too
  • ShojoDaggerShojoDagger Posts: 320 Member
    edited August 2017
    @Heliel22 I don't know if you have windows set to show all file extensions, the default setting in Windows is to not show them.
    If you don't have them set to be displayed I suggest following this guide, How to show file extensions in Windows. It has instructions for all recent Windows versions & also explains what file extensions actually are & what they actually do, as well as why having them displayed helps with computer security.
    Having the actual file extensions displayed is better than relying on the icon to tell you what type of file you're looking at & might help you figure out what is actually going on with your files. As you've discovered yourself, the icon only shows you which program is set to open that file type, & that program can be set/reset erroneously.
    I uploaded something! (yay) My Studio
    Enjoy!
    @ShojoDagger Yea i got it to show all file extensions i'm cool with it as long as i can see what is what thanx for the response.
  • cleo00cleo00 Posts: 1,088 Member
    edited August 2017
    @Heliel22 I'm not sure if someone else said this in their post as I have to get back to work in 2 minutes, but even if your ts4 content has the s3pe icon it doesnt matter. All of my ts4 and ts2 content shows the s3pe icon but if I accidentally open it s3pe politely tells me it doesnt know what the plum to do with it because it isnt for sims 3. So the s3pe icon really doesnt matter in the slightest.
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    All of my package files show as S4S (Sims 4 Studios) but like cleo said, it doesn't affect Sims 3. I can still use them and open them in S3PE.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
    Now i just started back to playing my game now the icons are missing when the mods supposed to show up in the game everything is there but it's all missing all of my content i'm mad 🐸🐸🐸🐸 i ever used s3pe
    Sims 4 game that is
    edited August 2017
    @Heliel22 - I'm sorry that you are having trouble, but suggest that you post on the TS4 Tech Discussions board for more assistance. It's not the current or former existence of S3PE that has done this, and it's not the file associations. It has to be something else.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • ConfusedCatladi8ConfusedCatladi8 Posts: 1 New Member
    Ok so I accidentally turned all my package files to word files just like the original commenter mentioned. But they are all registered as package files, so should they work for my game? I'm a little afraid to go on it, and I just want a little simple yes and no answer because it's a little hard to read what you guys are saying.

(As you can probably tell I'm not a very, "techy," person, sorry if my reply seems ignorant)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • DisfiguresDisfigures Posts: 2 New Member
    Ok so I was trying to install mc command center and it wasn't working and I ended up opening them with notepad and now 1. they're not working and mccc isn't showing up in game & 2. I can't revert them back. The files are .ts4script and I can't change them back to their original form. I've tried re-downloading them about 5 times and they always open with notepad. Please help. I just want to use mccc!!
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top