Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to the display shelves work?

So I found a bunch of shelves under surfaces. They look like wall shelves... Great!
But I can't get anything to snap to the shelves to put on them. Thought I could with collectables, nope, plants, small deco nope.
What do I need to do to put stuff on these shelves?

Comments

• dark5id3dark5id3 Posts: 2,476 Member
    Where did you find shelves? I looked under 'surfaces' and didn't see any shelves there.
    2rxu2ph.png
  • Asuka7794Asuka7794 Posts: 1,431 Member
    They don't.
  • pandora4copandora4co Posts: 729 Member
    dark5id3 wrote: »
    Where did you find shelves? I looked under 'surfaces' and didn't see any shelves there.

Objects by function, choose surfaces and top right there is a pic of a shelf and it's called "displays" there is a whole bunch of shelves in there.
  • KurisutaruKurisutaru Posts: 70 Member
    pandora4co wrote: »
    So I found a bunch of shelves under surfaces. They look like wall shelves... Great!
    But I can't get anything to snap to the shelves to put on them. Thought I could with collectables, nope, plants, small deco nope.
    What do I need to do to put stuff on these shelves?

I've been able to just grab something and place it near the shelf close enough that it sits on it, so far I've put small toys and clutter there... I'm using TS3 style camera, I'm not sure if that makes a difference.
    Hmmmm... I'll try again, maybe it's my camera angle
    OK I was finally able to get stuff up there, it just seem like there is hardly any stuff that will "fit"? Up there. I'm surprised by the lack of things that are able to be put on the shelves
    OK I was finally able to get stuff up there, it just seem like there is hardly any stuff that will "fit"? Up there. I'm surprised by the lack of things that are able to be put on the shelves

I found the shelves(thanks to you) and put woodworking and collection items on them and they fit perfectly. I haven't tried decor items yet.

2rxu2ph.png
    I found the shelves(thanks to you) and put woodworking and collection items on them and they fit perfectly. I haven't tried decor items yet.

I haven't tried woodworking yet, my sim at the moment is a collector/gardener. The only non buyable thing I've found to fit there are these gnome sized sim statues that my sim has found in treasure boxes she has dug up in the world. I'm not exactly sure what they do, they have an option to do something with emotions? (can't remember the exact wording) but I've been too afraid to try them yet! :D

I haven't tried woodworking yet, my sim at the moment is a collector/gardener. The only non buyable thing I've found to fit there are these gnome sized sim statues that my sim has found in treasure boxes she has dug up in the world. I'm not exactly sure what they do, they have an option to do something with emotions? (can't remember the exact wording) but I've been too afraid to try them yet! :D

That's one of the things I put on the shelves. If you activate the 'aura', it helps your sim feel 'focused'.

2rxu2ph.png
    Oh cool! Off to try them out then!
  • WilderwolfWilderwolf Posts: 3,406 Member
    I tried putting fossils on them earlier and they wouldn't snap to it, so I was wondering this myself. Has anyone had luck putting fossils on theirs?
    Sig_zpsrk5fg4ri.gif

Wilderwolf wrote: »
    I tried putting fossils on them earlier and they wouldn't snap to it, so I was wondering this myself. Has anyone had luck putting fossils on theirs?

The fossils are too big so they won't fit. The items have to be little using one quarter of a square tile.

2rxu2ph.png
  • WilderwolfWilderwolf Posts: 3,406 Member
    Alrighty, thank you for that. Now I know what size tile item to look for.
    Sig_zpsrk5fg4ri.gif

• ThatSimGuy2010ThatSimGuy2010 Posts: 97 Member
    These little guys are what I use my shelves for! They're in my Sims study, I love finding and collecting them. The crystals are cool too! :D
    6jkbh1.jpg
  • desertrose0601desertrose0601 Posts: 114 Member
    I've put quite a few things on the shelves. Plants, plumbob statues, vases of flowers. I think the key is choosing small little knickknacks to go up there. I tried to put a stereo on one, for example, and that didn't work because it was too big. (Stereos work fine on endtables though!)
  • mzzvixenmzzvixen Posts: 8 New Member
    I've been able to fit the small crystals and the small pieces of rock on the shelves, I think it's ridiculous that we can't fit the frogs or alien on the shelves or other small items. They need to fix that so that we are able to use the shelves appropriately. Having shelves with limited abilities is such a step back from Sims 3 that it is a glaring problem. :s
  • Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    I hope in the future we get some really nice display cases or curio cabinets. B)
  • JellyEyesJellyEyes Posts: 354 Member
    Helpful thread. I thought I'd checked and found no shelves to display collections. I guess I didn't check thoroughly.
  • SimKeatsSimKeats Posts: 2,186 Member
    Alot of things like mentioned require a full tile of display space, in other words, end tables or part of a coffee table, dresser, etc.
  • shante090shante090 Posts: 55 Member
    I'm a bit disappointed with those shelves to be honest. For example, they would be perfect for the retro books or candles in the living room but of course I can't place them on the shelf. Same thing with the bathroom clutter - there are many deco items that would look great on those shelves but can't be placed there! Such a shame, such a waste... :-(
  • Kaitlyn520Kaitlyn520 Posts: 1 New Member
    If you use that bb.moveobjects cheat you're able to do A LITTLE more with the shelves. There was a plant the I was trying to make look like it was on the shelf, but it would keep saying "objects cannot intersect"... but now it looks wonderful.(:
  • MammaMiaMammaMia Posts: 14 New Member
    I've been experimenting with the shelves for a while. It's really frustrating!! I've made a list of items I've found that snap on. Feel free to add any I've missed!

Softy Brand Tissues
    Pear Essentials
    Happy Teeth Toothbrush
    Apple Of Your Eye
    Mega Couple of Books
    Ceramic Soap Dispenser
    Pencil Holder
    On Phantom Wing
    Countertop Kitchen Utensils
    Caress Pitcher
    Pretty as a Pitcher
    Ceramic Cookie Jar
    Pro-Quality Knife Block
    Llamacorn's Team Photo
    Stack of CD
    Spice of Life Spice Rack
    Nom de Plume Quill
    Classic Wood-Mobile
    Mrs. Meowness
    Mr. Blue Bear
    Ducky
    Butterfly McButterflyface
    Speedy Sportscar
    Teresa the Triceratops
    WaffleKone
    Chompy the Monsta
    Tentacle Tom
    Purple Pursuer
    Purple Protector
    Lump of Clay
    Fully Functional Helicopter
    Bleep the Robot
    Desk Nameplate (Stolen)
    Endurn
    Grandmother's Urn
    Viney League Encased Scrolls
    Executron Desk Pen
    Porcu-Pro Business Card Holdet
    S.A.L.E.S Award
    Innovators Award
    Off The Charts Music Award
    All Star Trophy
    Jr. Solar System Trophy
    MVP Trophy
    Solar System Trophy
    Antique Urn
    Kids Table Light
    3 Senses Oil Lamp
    The Definitive
    Bright Idea Robot Lamp
    Personal Spotlight Desk Lamp
    Scallop Table Lamp
  • Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,184 Member
    Wow, thanks for the list @MammaMia :smiley:
  • DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,944 Member
    edited September 2017
    MammaMia wrote: »
    I've been experimenting with the shelves for a while. It's really frustrating!! I've made a list of items I've found that snap on. Feel free to add any I've missed!

Softy Brand Tissues
    Pear Essentials
    Happy Teeth Toothbrush
    Apple Of Your Eye
    Mega Couple of Books
    Ceramic Soap Dispenser
    Pencil Holder
    On Phantom Wing
    Countertop Kitchen Utensils
    Caress Pitcher
    Pretty as a Pitcher
    Ceramic Cookie Jar
    Pro-Quality Knife Block
    Llamacorn's Team Photo
    Stack of CD
    Spice of Life Spice Rack
    Nom de Plume Quill
    Classic Wood-Mobile
    Mrs. Meowness
    Mr. Blue Bear
    Ducky
    Butterfly McButterflyface
    Speedy Sportscar
    Teresa the Triceratops
    WaffleKone
    Chompy the Monsta
    Tentacle Tom
    Purple Pursuer
    Purple Protector
    Lump of Clay
    Fully Functional Helicopter
    Bleep the Robot
    Desk Nameplate (Stolen)
    Endurn
    Grandmother's Urn
    Viney League Encased Scrolls
    Executron Desk Pen
    Porcu-Pro Business Card Holdet
    S.A.L.E.S Award
    Innovators Award
    Off The Charts Music Award
    All Star Trophy
    Jr. Solar System Trophy
    MVP Trophy
    Solar System Trophy
    Antique Urn
    Kids Table Light
    3 Senses Oil Lamp
    The Definitive
    Bright Idea Robot Lamp
    Personal Spotlight Desk Lamp
    Scallop Table Lamp

My sims collection, the snow globes, and small crystals collected from space, are some more that will fit.

ETA. Never mind I see them in your list.
  • MarktnMarktn Posts: 554 Member
    I use them for the snowglobes my kids collect in SM. The parents help them collect them around the city and it makes a really cool display. I like the idea for the statues as well. I will have to do that.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top