Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Reinstallation Problem.

I recently uninstalled the sims 3 manually, deleting all the registry files and such, but now I get an error saying: "installation is incomplete .... please reinstall and try again." when I try to reinstall it.

So I tried installing a registry cleaner to see if maybe I had left something out, but I've seemed to download a corrupt one and had to uninstall that.
So is there another way to make sure I uninstalled everything correctly without a registry cleaner? I made sure to follow all the steps in EA's website. (can't post the link since I'm not allowed to yet ...)

I'm using Windows 8.1 (And my sims 3 base game was installed with the disc when I got it, if that helps.)

Comments

• LaAbbyLaAbby Posts: 3,742 Member
    edited September 2014
    So I was able to find a registry cleaner, and it was able to delete a lot of files but now when I try to re-install the game I get a different error saying: "There was an error during startup. Please see Log for details." Log doesn't say anything.

And I notice that on my origin, it says "Play" when I hover over the Sims 3 base game, instead of "install". It's not installed in my programs anymore so I'm not sure what that means. Same with the pets expansion. All other EP's were successfully uninstalled.
  • pepperw1pepperw1 Posts: 487 Member
    Download , install and run CCleaner. I'm guessing that you uninstalled your game,ep's and sp's by way of the control panel. If so, after running CCleaner try and reinstall the base game, launch it and see if you get any errors. If all you get is a message to update then click yes.
    edited September 2014
    I ran CCleaner, made sure that the registry was cleaned. But I still get the same error message: "Error during startup. Please see Log for details." when I try to install the game.

And I had uninstalled all the EP's and Sims base game by using the Registry.
    Did you totally uninstall your game by way of the control panel?
    Just for the EPs, the Sims 3 Base game was not there, so I didn't uninstall the base game by the control panel.
    Ok, uninstall everything having to do with the sims 3 by way of the control panel. Run CCleaner again afterwards. Then to doublely make sure that it is'nt on your computer, go and check on your C:/programs, to make sure that there is'nt the Electronic Arts folder there and you can check your Documents folder also. If there is no evidence of it anywhere, then put your disk in and reinstall your base game.
    I used this link to uninstall the game: h.ttp://help.ea.com/en/article/manually-uninstalling-the-sims-3/ (without the period between h & t)
    So I don't have any Sims 3 in my Control Panel, but I do have the Electronic Arts folder. Should I delete that?
    Yes!
    Still get the same error message. And for some reason, after the error message the Electronic Arts folder keeps regenerating.
    Your not on line when you put the disk into your cd drive to reinstall the base game are you. Cause you don't need to be.
    Well .. I did it both on and offline, and still nothing.

It's weird though, because Origin says Sims 3 is installed. But my control panel doesn't have Sims 3 at all. Am I missing something here?
    You said that the Electronic Arts folder keeps coming back. Is it in your documents and or your C: drive? If it is, what's in it?
    Keeps coming back in Documents. All it has is what is the Sims 3 folder ... and in the Sims 3 folder is nothing.
    Do you have the Electronic Arts folder on your C: drive?
    Yes, and that one had nothing too. So I had deleted it.
    Ok, hold on I'm doing some research on this. I'll let you know if I find anything.
    Um, try uninstalling Origin. It might have something to do with it. You can reinstall it later.
    Here's the link to get the super patch; http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/175477.page
    Okay thanks, though I'm still receiving the same error message after uninstalling and re-installing Origin.
    Did you go and read that link?
    > @pepperw1 said:
    > Did you go and read that link?

Doing so as we speak.
    edited September 2014
    Well I read the link and everything was going great until it came down to "uninstall Sims 3". It's not listed at all, so I want to assume it's already uninstalled but when I look it up in Windows Search bar, it's still there. So I right-click to "uninstall" it but it leads me to Origin.

So I don't understand, is it installed or uninstalled? I don't know how to tell now. :\

Edit**
    It leads me to Programs in the Control Panel (not Origin), which The Sims 3 isn't listed in. So I don't understand how I'm supposed to "uninstall" it, when it doesn't even show up.
    Go here and download the Revo uninstaller. Just make sure you read carefully so that you don't also install what ever advertisement product they offer with it. http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html