Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

More than one computer?

Comments

• wngoddesswngoddess Posts: 10 New Member
    Just confirming that everything @luthienrising said is correct. Hubby and I play on two different computers - he likes his desktop, I like my laptop. We have our own games going and don't have access to each other's stuff. He's usually signed into the Origin account, I only sign in when the game needs updating or if I want to check out the Gallery.

Also, just a note to the OP, if you want to play the same game on two different computers, you'll have to save it to something like a USB drive and load your game from there. You can't access save files from one computer to another since it normally saves the games to the local drive.
  • MiksteriousMiksterious Posts: 2 New Member
    Hi. My sister bought The Sims 4 CD, she is using Mac and I use Windows 8. Is it possible for us to both install the game? If she installed it on one origin account, can I use her account to play it on my Windows?
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited June 2015
    Hi. My sister bought The Sims 4 CD, she is using Mac and I use Windows 8. Is it possible for us to both install the game? If she installed it on one origin account, can I use her account to play it on my Windows?

I have mine installed on both my windows and mac partitions. I would assume you could do that too. Your account should let you install on either (or both) systems. My save and tray work flawlessly among both as well.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • jennemm75jennemm75 Posts: 309 Member
    wngoddess wrote: »
    Just confirming that everything @luthienrising said is correct. Hubby and I play on two different computers - he likes his desktop, I like my laptop. We have our own games going and don't have access to each other's stuff. He's usually signed into the Origin account, I only sign in when the game needs updating or if I want to check out the Gallery.

Also, just a note to the OP, if you want to play the same game on two different computers, you'll have to save it to something like a USB drive and load your game from there. You can't access save files from one computer to another since it normally saves the games to the local drive.

I have it on three computers now :D Mine at home, my hubbies lap top and I have it on my moms computer for when I go to visit her, which is almost every weekend. I use the lap top when I travel, I have different "challenges" I play on each so no need for saving the files so I can play the same game.
  • LaurenHullLaurenHull Posts: 55 Member
    I have TS4 on my laptop and pc :) i think as long as you use your origin ID you're good to go, but you can only be logged in and online on one device at a time.
    vsJ0Hg0.gif
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,577 Member
    edited June 2015
    I got a question. If I want to install the game on a new laptop and since I already have the base game in my Origin, is it possible to manually install using the disc (cuz I have the physical disc for the base game) in the new laptop? Or must I really use the internet to re-download the whole game?

I'm asking this cuz when I installed using the base game disc the very first time, it only took me about 20 mins (plus some other things that was downloaded via Origin while connected to the internet), so it's much faster and also I only had the digital version of GTW which took about 3 hours to download solely from Origin. :sweat_smile:

Or will doing this work?: http://help.ea.com/sg/article/backing-up-and-restoring-your-origin-games/
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • raven1281raven1281 Posts: 18 New Member
    edited June 2015
    Origin can only be logged into one account on one computer at a time. Just login to origin on the second computer and that will automatically put the first computer into offline mode. You will get a message when you try to log in telling you that just click sign in anyway and install the game. The first computer still run the game like normal. You only need to be online when you run the game for the first time. Technically you can get banned for sharing your account but you can use your account on as many computers as you like you don't need to buy another copy. All saved data is stored locally.
  • February11February11 Posts: 12,643 Member
    edited June 2015
    DeKay wrote: »
    I got a question. If I want to install the game on a new laptop and since I already have the base game in my Origin, is it possible to manually install using the disc (cuz I have the physical disc for the base game) in the new laptop? Or must I really use the internet to re-download the whole game?

I'm asking this cuz when I installed using the base game disc the very first time, it only took me about 20 mins (plus some other things that was downloaded via Origin while connected to the internet), so it's much faster and also I only had the digital version of GTW which took about 3 hours to download solely from Origin. :sweat_smile:

Or will doing this work?: http://help.ea.com/sg/article/backing-up-and-restoring-your-origin-games/

When I got my second laptop I ran the disc on the new one and installed it from there.
    I play between the two laptops and backup to a USB then transfer the files back and forth.

(I play between two as I have my old laptop at work and my new one at home, so when I'm quiet at work I can play - thought I'd explain that)

EDIT - I have the disc for GTW , so installed that by the disc too.
    MLgj4Vx.png
    February11 wrote: »

When I got my second laptop I ran the disc on the new one and installed it from there.
    I play between the two laptops and backup to a USB then transfer the files back and forth.

(I play between two as I have my old laptop at work and my new one at home, so when I'm quiet at work I can play - thought I'd explain that)

Oh, so you didn't get the "code is already registered" like the OP did? Or did you manually install the disc not via Origin first?

Thanks for your response anyway. I'll try both methods when I get my new laptop and see which one works. :)
    832XG3D.gif
    edited June 2015
    You will only get the message "code is already registered" if you try to install while logged into an origin account other than the one the game was first registered to. The Disc simply saves you form having to download the game, so once the game is installed you don't need the Disc other than to make installing faster. Once the game is register on an account this is the only account the game can be played on without purchasing another copy. However the game will still run even if that account is in offline mode. You can easily do that by logging into the account on another computer and click log in anyway when it say "this account can only be logged into one computer at a time. You only need to be in online mode to run the game the first time on each computer. If you have 10 computer you can run the game on all those computers at the same time. All game data is stored locally and will not be shared between computers. So if you want to be able to play a saved game from one computer on another you will have to copy saved game data on that computer to the other. You are not breaking any rules by doing this as long as your not sharing your log in information.
    Post edited by raven1281 on
    @raven1281:

So does that mean I couldn't use the disk to make the installation faster in the new laptop since I'm going to use the same Origin account on the new laptop because it will give that 'code is already registered' pop up?
    832XG3D.gif
    edited June 2015
    Nope you can use the disc as long as the new laptop is logged into the same origin account. You should only get that message if your installing the game from a different origin account.
    Post edited by raven1281 on
    raven1281 wrote: »
    Nope you can use the disc as long as the new laptop is logged into the same origin account.

Oh that's sweet! :D Thank you!
    832XG3D.gif

Oh, so you didn't get the "code is already registered" like the OP did? Or did you manually install the disc not via Origin first?

Thanks for your response anyway. I'll try both methods when I get my new laptop and see which one works. :)

Yes, I manually installed it with the disc. It ran and installed with no issues, no code already registered issues.
    MLgj4Vx.png

Yes, I manually installed it with the disc. It ran and installed with no issues, no code already registered issues.

Alright! Thanks so much for answering my questions! :) Have a good day.
    832XG3D.gif
    edited June 2015

Alright! Thanks so much for answering my questions! :) Have a good day.

Let us know how you go.
    It's night time is Australia, so I'll have a good night. All the best and have a good day :)

EDIT - and while I think of it, I also installed it from the same disc on our desktop computer and had no problems there either. I just don't play on that but still back up my EA folder on that - just in case something goes wrong with any of my save devices. I did try and play on that but I think the tower is too compact and the fans not enough to cope with Sims4 and it blacked out with a power error message. Sims3 plays fine on that one. So that's it installed on 3 computers with no installation problems with Origin.
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • SimmerSupreamSimmerSupream Posts: 2 New Member
    how do i get it on my computer in the first place. i don't want to pay twice, once for my macbook pro and once for my mac.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    how do i get it on my computer in the first place. i don't want to pay twice, once for my macbook pro and once for my mac.

Just log into Origin and download. Log into the same Origin account on both computers.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,575 Member

Hello @SimmerSupream.
    Install the Mac version of origin onto your MacBook Pro and your Mac. If you have bought your game through origin, then log into origin using the same origin account that you used when purchasing the sims 4 game, and go to mygames section. Then find the sims 4 picture and you can download and install it there. The sims 4 game is linked to your origin account not your computer, so by logging into origin using the same account on both macs you can download the game onto both of them.
  • TheoriesOfHappinessTheoriesOfHappiness Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited July 2016
    deleted
    i was browsing forum rules when i first joined and i was totally freaked out, since it says you can't "share accounts" but my mom bought TS4 on her origin for me as a gift (was a surprise for me, and i'd have seen it on my old account which i used for TS3) and i was freaked out thinking we were breaking a rule if i played it (i'm the only one who plays the game, to clarify) hahahah

Hello
    You can share an account with your Mother within your family home. It was very kind and special,of your Mother to buy you Sims 4 as a gift! :)
  • TheoriesOfHappinessTheoriesOfHappiness Posts: 1,126 Member
    thanks @rosemow i felt like i was just rambling, so i removed my post to avoid possibly derailing the thread, hahah
  • LolzyLollypopLolzyLollypop Posts: 6 New Member
    What about with expansions?

Hello @LolzyLollypop
    You can log in to Origin using the same origin account that you first used when registering the game .
    Go to My Games section. Click the sims 4 picture. Click the little "i" button that is next to the play button. That will take you to a screen that shows you what game packs, stuff packs and eps you own. Go to the various pack sections, and you will find the packs that you own there. You can then download/install the packs there.
  • LolzyLollypopLolzyLollypop Posts: 6 New Member
    rosemow wrote: »

Hello @LolzyLollypop
    You can log in to Origin using the same origin account that you first used when registering the game .
    Go to My Games section. Click the sims 4 picture. Click the little "i" button that is next to the play button. That will take you to a screen that shows you what game packs, stuff packs and eps you own. Go to the various pack sections, and you will find the packs that you own there. You can then download/install the packs there.

Cheers for this! :) What if it's another person's account like if I log onto say my sibling's account using my computer? I was told that they would not be able to get back in to it but I'm not sure. Thanks!